Horse Mounts Discussion!

Aediph.2873

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Balsa.3951 said:the Dreamer shoots unicorns so Horses are something Tyria know.

I can only imagine anet dont want them bcs they are to hard to animate ... or they are to common in other games and anet want be different

Known fiction. It's not called 'The Dreamer' just for a cute meme reference.

Alternatively maybe they could make one which uses the same model as Mr Gum Drops - the only horse to appear in-game so far* and one of the few creatures to be in both Guild Wars 1 and 2. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mr._Gum_Drops

*Given his appearance it is of course entirely possible that many other similar horses have appeared in both games and we just haven't noticed.

Pretty much every MMO that has riding mounts has a horse mount. So while it makes sense that players would miss them, I for one find them extremely boring, and am glad I have way different species of mounts to use in this game.

Besides, how would a Sylvari ride them, given the horse would see them as walking food?

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Pretty much every MMO that has riding mounts has a horse mount. So while it makes sense that players would miss them, I for one find them extremely boring, and am glad I have way different species of mounts to use in this game.

Besides, how would a Sylvari ride them, given the horse would see them as walking food?

Shouldn't that be an issue with springers too? (And an issue for everyone else with raptors and griffons.)

Although some horses will try and eat people in real life (hair and clothes especially) and that doesn't stop people riding them. (Yes I know horses are herbivores, but I think they'll try eating anything which comes near enough, just in case.)

@Aediph.2873 said:

@"Drecien.4508" said:No. Dead horse. Horses do not exist in tyria.

Quoting the Guild Wars 2 wiki: "The existence of horses in Tyria is a contested question amongst players; no living horses have ever been seen, but references to them are plentiful, including: Zodiac Axe Skin, Horse Figure, Iron Horse Mines, and Rocking Horse Ornament. The original Guild Wars also featured a Necrid Horseman and Celestial Horse."

Doesn't seem like a completely terrible idea, I'm sure plenty of people would buy or work to acquire a horse skin if they put one up for sale in the gem store or made it some kind of in-game obtainable quest/currency thing.

Wow good point, and since UW from Guildwars was opened up by kralkatoric which have existing Necrid Horsemen in it whats to say that cannot be used to create a new Skyscale skin for a ghostly flying horse. The animations for the Skyscale and a flying horse are the same. It may not be exactly what the OP wants, but it's something close.

@Balsa.3951 said:

@Boysenberry.1869 said:I'm sure there have probably been several horse threads by now. Personally, I don't see how a horse mount fits into the game at all given the distinct lack of horses in Tyria. Each mount does something unique and anything that a horse can do we can already do in game. A horse skin of something, sure, but there's no need for a separate mount.

there was a lack of skimmers in game before as wll... i also never saw a skyscale, a warbeast or a springer

well for skyscale it was stated in the story that it was a new creature that didn't exist before... created from kralk messing with the mists.. which is why they were unstable and we had to go thru that entire collection for it.

@"Aediph.2873" said:The first google search result for "Guild Wars 2 horse mount" was from 2018 and I think that's the newest one on the forumshttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/37824/why-cant-we-have-horse-mountsSooooo instead of necroing that old one, I'm making this new discussion thread about them.

Riding on a horse through the open world is something I've wanted to do since mounts were added. I'd love it if we got a new skin for one of the mounts.

@"Jessica Price.1649 " said:because no one wants to let me live out my dream of galloping over the desert dunes on a horse made of fire

350?cb=20170328042811

g-host-lee-nightmare-horse-as-170803.jpg

Horse power!!!!

As I mentioned in that thread, we can't have horses. Horses are real in Tyria's world, but charr will eat them all.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/494705/#Comment_494705

Everyone knows charr ate all the horses.

That's why we never see horses anywhere anymore. If there was a horse somewhere, and players could go there, then charr could go there because there's charr players. And once charr are there, they will eat them faster than we can load the map, and so by that paradox no matter where we go, we'll never see horses because we going there will make them disappear.

@Adrianna.3092 said:

@Boysenberry.1869 said:I'm sure there have probably been several horse threads by now. Personally, I don't see how a horse mount fits into the game at all given the distinct lack of horses in Tyria. Each mount does something unique and anything that a horse can do we can already do in game. A horse skin of something, sure, but there's no need for a separate mount.

there was a lack of skimmers in game before as wll... i also never saw a skyscale, a warbeast or a springer

well for skyscale it was stated in the story that it was a new creature that didn't exist before... created from kralk messing with the mists.. which is why they were unstable and we had to go thru that entire collection for it.

I liked that part as well :) personal im not a Horse fan I just wanted to show that in a fantasy game everything can find its way

Horses are the Unicorns of Guild wars.Maybe they had them in Orr and Ascalon and they were drowned or eaten. Maybe there are some in Cantha.Shame that in Kryta they don't ride horses (maybe has something to do with the war with the horse people), cause they ride Moas suggested by the personal story lineWhen approaching the moas:Petra: Look, moas! They're big, but skittish. it would be real easy to spook them.Petra: Remember when we used to ride Rancher Mepi's herd? I bet these birds are just as skittish.

Imagine that Logan steed is bright pink Moa (waiting for the raptor skin of that).

My theory has always been that horses went the way of the gargoyles: extinct.But extinct by way of evolving into something else not just dying off in masses.And it was probably the horses found a magic source to transform them so they could weild weapons to fight back more effectively and stop being used by humans as beasts of burden. Hinted at from Zhed Shadowhoof in GW1 when he says:"Humans. They always think the world turns on their shoulders. The centaur people know secrets that you cannot fathom. Our warriors blaze through battle like fire on a dry plain. Your kind can enslave us, but never shall you break our spirits. We fear nothing beneath the open sky."

Afterthought edit:If horses do still exist they're not known for being magical at all in of themselves and probably will go extinct eventually as they lose out in competition with creatures that do have magic abilities because they have a very set diet if they pushed out of their range to much they won't survive as well as say other non-magical real-life creatures like Coyotes/Wolves/Hyenas/Boar which can survive as scavengers and aren't obligate carvivores so can sustain themselves during harsher periods by eating basically anything, even moss and possibly minotaur poop.Ofc this is just lore meets irl conservation science type speculation for shiggles, being it's a fantasy world ingame I'm sure the Devs could just pull whatever explaination they want out of their butts and make it work, but this would just make more sense imo.

@Chyanne Waters.8719 said:

@"Drecien.4508" said:No. Dead horse. Horses do not exist in tyria.

Quoting the Guild Wars 2 wiki: "The existence of horses in Tyria is a contested question amongst players; no living horses have ever been seen, but references to them are plentiful, including: Zodiac Axe Skin, Horse Figure, Iron Horse Mines, and Rocking Horse Ornament. The original Guild Wars also featured a Necrid Horseman and Celestial Horse."

Doesn't seem like a completely terrible idea, I'm sure plenty of people would buy or work to acquire a horse skin if they put one up for sale in the gem store or made it some kind of in-game obtainable quest/currency thing.

Wow good point, and since UW from Guildwars was opened up by kralkatoric which have existing Necrid Horsemen in it whats to say that cannot be used to create a new Skyscale skin for a ghostly flying horse. The animations for the Skyscale and a flying horse are the same. It may not be exactly what the OP wants, but it's something close.

Also should point out that Logan, Rytlock and Caithe saw horses through a Asura gate in the book.

@kharmin.7683 said:Isn't it in lore that humans came to Tyria? Maybe Tyria never had horses and the humans didn't bring any with them?

the problem with that is that the gods brought humans to tyria many centuries ago... no one alive now would even remember or know anything about where they came from... so how would they know of horses in tyria if horses were never in tyria.

@"Danikat.8537" said:Alternatively maybe they could make one which uses the same model as Mr Gum Drops - the only horse to appear in-game so far* and one of the few creatures to be in both Guild Wars 1 and 2. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mr._Gum_Drops

There's a bug that sometimes causes my mounts to use the Mr Gum Drops skin. It usually triggers for a few seconds just after I mount up. Unfortunately, it also stops them from moving...