How far out do you zoom the camera?

I have set my camera off to the right, and zoom in until I can barely see my feet for most things. I'm always melee, so that works out well. When doing world events like metas, and bosses, I'll zoom out all the way so I can actually see. Even then, with smaller enemies (oversized player races and such) I'll have to zoom in to figure out where to stand, because it's always just a huge explosion of light, and it's very difficult to see which way they are facing. I like to see my actions, and it helps for watching enemy tells. If I do any PvP/WvW, I usually go about half way, maybe a bit more.

Most used button in the game: Mousewheel.

Combat: Max ZoomJumping Puzzles:A little behind the character, as in the old console-platformers.Bird's Eye View. Almost 100 % vertical. Helps a lot aiming for small platforms which are otherwise easy to overstep.

Under normal circumstances it is difficult to perform real 3D aimed jumps. We are playing a MMORPG with a jump-feature, not a platformer with a MMORPG-feature. So in conclusion most neccessary jumps in this game require very little height gain. That means, that we can ignore the third axis in most cases and play the game like a 2D platformer.

There is one very special Jumping Puzzle in the game, where you can test it very good: Coddler's Cove. The platforms are way too small to be properly aimed with 3rd person view. But once you switch to vertical view, you can easily see when it is the correct time to stop. You will not make it on the first try, but the entire scenario becomes a lot easier.

World exploration: everything ^^

Note: When you see some genius has blocked a valuable NPC (Bank, TP, chest, ... etc.), zoom in max, go below your character and aim for the blocked object from below, diagonal. Slowly zoom out. In many cases you can find a good perspective to click the NPC, by just playing a little with the zoom.

I zoom as far out as I can most of the time, so my character is maybe an inch high on the screen in the middle of a lot of surrounding visible area. While I greatly regret missing out on a lot of details of people's armor and mob animations, it means I can play without motion sickness. I reserve zooming in for when I'm standing still and no one near me has anything flickering or spinning or flapping.

Far because im here to play the game, i want to see the area around me what mobs are around aoes on the ground and the scenic views. Up close is a mess to me, and if i want to see someones armor i will scroll in only takes a second to mouse wheel. I dont play first person shooters for that reason its just a terrible way to see a game like looking through a peephole.

@Ryukai.6524 said:

@Zuldari.3940 said:All the way no matter what content, personally i think my field of view is still too restrictive. The only time i zoom in is for personal interaction with other players. I dont like playing a game that makes it feel you are looking through a small view finder. Makes me feel claustrophobic.

One way I found to increase the FoV (back when the game first came out and there was no FoV slider and the max camera zoom was ALOT closer and there were threads everywhere about it making people sick) was to play the game in Windowed mode (not full screen windowed) and then narrow the window by about 2cm from both the top and bottom. This pushes the camera out as well as MASSIVLY increasing the FoV, and gives it this awesome 'widescreen' look too :D

I did that to improve my “skill” and make ac hit on places they were not possible.Now I have a 49” 32:10 screen lol

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"Khisanth.2948" said:Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar but that hasn't stopped me from seeing those tags on the banner.

Sure...make me feel bad why don't ya :tongue: Really starting to think I might need to see an eye doctor.

Course I'm playing on a 24" LCD monitor. Are many of you playing on your TVs / 4K?

Mine is also 24" https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-24-monitor-u2412m/apd/210-agss/monitors-monitor-accessories

Any larger and it won't fit on my desk. That aside for the distance I am sitting at any larger and it would be somewhat pointless anyway. It is just about large enough for me to see the whole screen without having to turn my head.

For all settings: Middle FoV.For PVP: Max zoom outFor PVE while on a male character or on a char/asura: maximum zoom outFor PVE while on a female character: 3 clicks from closest zoom.

This is with zoom sensitivity all the way to the right. To get a better view, I have the vertical position sliders (both near and far) set to the middle. About where at 2 clicks, my character looks like they're standing on the action bar. This allows me to be relatively close, without having my view obstructed by my own toon.

In WvW I use far zoom unless my camera is hitting stuff. I like to zoom it in when fighting in tree areas like ssc or the Orchard sound of garrison. Also that cave camp in smc. To that end, I like fighting in these areas because I figure there is a chance my opponents are not zooming in their cameras thus giving me the advantage.

IYlNyXQh.jpg

That's my typical view (that character is a max height norn). Field of view is slightly above the mid-way point and I usually keep the camera zoomed all the way out. I find it gives me a good mix of a wide enough view to see what's going on whilst being close enough to see at least some details, like enemies animations for different attacks.

Of course I will zoom in if I want to see something close up, but I almost never change the field of view.

I play usually zoomed out enough to see my entire character, but have them as large on screen as is possible. When fighting, if the enemy I'm fighting has no AoE ground attacks, I zoom in all the way (still in third person). This is because I find it easier to aim when zoomed all the way in, especially when indoors. I have my camera set up so that when I am zoomed all the way in the camera is over my right shoulder, as level with my rifle as is possible, like in most Third Person Shooters. I use Action Camera and aim manually, so making sure my aim is as accurate as is possible is essential.

When in a zerg I zoom all the way out in order to be able to see what the ʰᴱᶜᴷ is going on.