How far out do you zoom the camera?

I figure there are advantages/disadvantages depending on if you're in PvE or PvP, but go ahead qualify which game mode you're talking about.

Is there a downside to zooming too far out? I'm starting to wonder if maybe I zoomed in more, I could see NPC animations better, I could react to them better. In previous MMOs (like Wow) I always zoomed out as far as possible, and do the same with GW2.

What prompted me asking this question is after almost 3000hrs in this game, I only just now realized that there are tags underneath banners indicating what boons they give.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/b/b7/Guild_HeroesBanner%28object%29.jpgStarting to wonder what else have I missed seeing.....?

@kratan.4619 said:For most content I am zoomed out as far as possible to see what is going on around me. The only exception that comes to mind is I zoom in when doing jumping puzzles to help judge the distance.

something like this, but the JP part is not to judge the distance it is usually because something will block my camera since it is sometimes in thight spaces. But I do not like to play less zoomed in than max.

Max Zoom, (I get nauseous if the character takes up too much space on screen, also have FoV maxed too)

It's also really annoying that getting off mounts and the Tyria zone boss event deaths constantly re-set the camera back to close up's of your characters bum :( Why can't it just stay where it is >< I'm constantly battling with the camera >< Ahhhhh!

It depends on content really.I usually keep it at mid zoom, I sometimes also like getting the proper RPG feel, where I zoom in a bit closer to my character.When mounted - it's almost always max zoom.When doing World Bosses - max zoom.When doing Fractals, PvP, dungeons and majority of content with a lot of people and flashy effects - max zoom.

Usually having FoV maxed and zooming out depends on what I do (like for example mounting where I always zoom out, especially while on Griffon/Skyscale) But sadly I can't maintain it 100% of the time as setting FoV to max may cause fps drops from 60+ to 40/30 in some cases :(

Max zoom, bc it's as far out as it lets me go. I'd be happy if I could play effectively at global zoom, with everything represented by dots and text. I do feel like I might be better at pvp if I zoomed in closer, but I'm mostly a button masher so prolly not :p

All the way no matter what content, personally i think my field of view is still too restrictive. The only time i zoom in is for personal interaction with other players. I dont like playing a game that makes it feel you are looking through a small view finder. Makes me feel claustrophobic.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Usually about 2 'clicks' out from closest zoom. I like to see my character.I only zoom out to see ground circles in really difficult content.

I'm mostly the same way. WvW, big metas, and probably most HoT content, and maybe 75% of PoF, I'm zoomed out more (including living world content). Old Tyria, towns, etc, I'm zoomed in.

@"Khisanth.2948" said:Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar but that hasn't stopped me from seeing those tags on the banner.

Sure...make me feel bad why don't ya :tongue: Really starting to think I might need to see an eye doctor.

Course I'm playing on a 24" LCD monitor. Are many of you playing on your TVs / 4K?

@Zuldari.3940 said:All the way no matter what content, personally i think my field of view is still too restrictive. The only time i zoom in is for personal interaction with other players. I dont like playing a game that makes it feel you are looking through a small view finder. Makes me feel claustrophobic.

One way I found to increase the FoV (back when the game first came out and there was no FoV slider and the max camera zoom was ALOT closer and there were threads everywhere about it making people sick) was to play the game in Windowed mode (not full screen windowed) and then narrow the window by about 2cm from both the top and bottom. This pushes the camera out as well as MASSIVLY increasing the FoV, and gives it this awesome 'widescreen' look too :D