Proof that ANET intend to support GW2 for 20+ years

@maddoctor.2738 said:That's not proof that they intend to support the game for 20+ years only that they plan on having these festivals run for 20 years.For example GW1 is still alive but it receives very little support (some qol patches) and no new content.

So, you agree that they intend to support gw2 for 20+ years?

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:That's not proof that they intend to support the game for 20+ years only that they plan on having these festivals run for 20 years.For example GW1 is still alive but it receives very little support (some qol patches) and no new content.

It depends what we mean by "support", active/constant support like GW2 or rather "life support" like GW1.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:That's not proof that they intend to support the game for 20+ years only that they plan on having these festivals run for 20 years.For example GW1 is still alive but it receives very little support (some qol patches) and no new content.

It depends what we mean by "support", active/constant support like GW2 or rather "life support" like GW1.

Sorry, my mistake - by support I mean keeping the game alive, but I can't be sure about the content.

They could keep the game alive as long as it generates profit. Without development cost it would be only the cost to keep the servers running. (Hardcare, electricity, ever now and then some tech to do maintenance should there be problems.) Much lower cost ... but it still would need to be covered by players paying a bit. (With less players playing at some time it might need less servers though.)

Bringing a new game and advertising GW2 again - might be an option. (Like they do now with GW1 and advertising it as 50 percent off ... but I'm still not going to play it, don't have time and there's still too much in GW2 to achieve for me.)

I think it is more like "lets set the bar high enough that we don't have to update it anytime soon, if ever, without setting it at infinite"It's so they wont have to think of something to replace it in 2-3 years or more, so they can chill out a bit and just copy paste the event in for the holidays.Just like all the other festivals. Also with the option Maddoctor said, where they more or less leave the game, but keep servers running.

I mean it could happen that it keeps going for another 20 years, but I would not call this proof and I would not expect it. 20 years is a rather long time... do you have any idea how much could happen in that time, to change things.

All that "proves" is that ANet could put parts of the game in maintenance mode, where there's no new development and the game continues to run with minimal effort. That's how GW1 works: it gets a couple of hamsters and that's it (except when some of the GW2 devs who worked on it are feeling nostalgic and decide to spend some of their free time on GW1 again).

That doesn't mean that ANet has 20-year plans for GW2 to keep going in the manner to which we have become accustomed, which is what most people think of "support" as meaning.

I'm sure ANet has 1-year, 2-year, & 5-year plans for the game, because that's what it takes to keep making money. I'm sure they have a skeleton of an idea of the game 10 years out, because, again, that's what they'd have to do to stay in business.

That's a far cry from "ANet intends to support the game for 20 years."

@"bOTEB.1573" said:proof.jpg

Each year this achievement can be completed only once and the limit is 1000.With this said and the fact that it grants 50 AP, means that we will need 20 years to max it.

Proves nothing of the sort. What it indicates is that they had to put a number in and chose one sufficiently large that they wouldnt need to update it later. In situations like this the tendency is to use a number much larger than one imagines would ever be truly necessary. This indicates, to me based on my understanding of how placeholders are often/generally used, that ANet thinks that gw2 will last significantly less than 20 years.

All that proves is that gw2 could run on maintenance mode lile gw1 and still offer "stuff" for players to go after.

Tho whether gw2 will handle being on maintenance mode as well as gw1 does is another thing entirely, but judging on anets willingness to have their games accessible and tied with rewards i assume they will at least try.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Aren't some achievements using 'infinity'? Like Agent of Entropy?

The achievement goes to infinity, but the ap does not. Its the same for the 50 ap meta achievements for Halloween, Wintersday and this are technically the same... they can be done infinitely (once a year) but the ap is not infinite.Whatever reasons they had to not make the ap infinite, be it because it would cause an error, or just because they prefer putting a number doesn't matter. What I said in my previous post and others have said still holds.

Its setting the bar high enough that they wont have to think about making something new anytime soon if ever. Regardless of how long they intend/hope for the game to be running and/or supporting it.

@"Zeefa.3915" said:I think it is more like "lets set the bar high enough that we don't have to update it anytime soon, if ever, without setting it at infinite"It's so they wont have to think of something to replace it in 2-3 years or more, so they can chill out a bit and just copy paste the event in for the holidays.Just like all the other festivals. Also with the option Maddoctor said, where they more or less leave the game, but keep servers running.

I mean it could happen that it keeps going for another 20 years, but I would not call this proof and I would not expect it. 20 years is a rather long time... do you have any idea how much could happen in that time, to change things.

Then why not just set it to infinite?Sounds redundant to have an out of reach cap

Hummm, I may have a better proof that they have longer term plans:

Swim-Speed infussion +30The total cost for the Swim-Speed Infusion +30 (the current largest) is 2^(30 - 10) = 1,048,576 Swim-Speed Infusion +10, plus 24,245 Gold coin 76 Silver coin.

Considering that you can get only:

• 1 key /day
  • An average of 3.5 +10inf / chest

you will need around 300,000 days to get enough +10inf to get your first +30inf, which means 821 years :o :o :o if you don't miss a single day

@Zeefa.3915 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Aren't some achievements using 'infinity'? Like Agent of Entropy?

The achievement goes to infinity, but the ap does not. Its the same for the 50 ap meta achievements for Halloween, Wintersday and this are technically the same... they can be done infinitely (once a year) but the ap is not infinite.Whatever reasons they had to not make the ap infinite, be it because it would cause an error, or just because they prefer putting a number doesn't matter. What I said in my previous post and others have said still holds.

Its setting the bar high enough that they wont have to think about making something new anytime soon if ever. Regardless of how long they intend/hope for the game to be running and/or supporting it.

So, just like 'Agent of Entropy' they could have made it infinite with a cap. Or, any yearly Achievement could have infinite AP, as it is time-gated by the passage of, well, time.Who knows why some achievements are set up one way, and not the other.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@"Zeefa.3915" said:I think it is more like "lets set the bar high enough that we don't have to update it anytime soon, if ever, without setting it at infinite"It's so they wont have to think of something to replace it in 2-3 years or more, so they can chill out a bit and just copy paste the event in for the holidays.Just like all the other festivals. Also with the option Maddoctor said, where they more or less leave the game, but keep servers running.

Then why not just set it to infinite?

Because infinity is meth for computers

@LetoII.3782 said:

Then why not just set it to infinite?

Because infinity is meth for computers

which is bad.. how?

(satyrical question, ofc)