character models update?

I mean, the game is aging and not like wine if you ask me, I was wondering if ANET have any plans of updating the character models, WoW, yes WoW, has been updating their character models here and there, so It would be nice if we got the same treatment for a more appealing look for today standards, what do you guys think?

@"Tiviana.2650" said:I have to ask, are you talking graphics or aesthetics? Another thing , how are your graphics set up? Because the game looks completely different from low to high, post processing or not. Also the gw2 reshade hook is amazing.

I'm referring no to aesthetic, but base character models per se, for example what league of legends do when they rework a champion,new more polish character models, the aesthetic is great, I just would love to have better base models, for example to give you an Idea:

32dsXM2.jpg

That kind of change to GW2 characters could be controversial. RPG characters where you can customise their appearance tend to be very personal things for players, and I can imagine that for everyone who loves the new look there would be someone who feels it's totally destroyed who their character is. It wouldn't surprise me if some people quit as a result.

I know I'd be very wary of it, if it affected things like my character's face shape, the pattern and extent of their tattoos, hair styles etc. I wouldn't know without seeing the changes if I'd like or hate them but I've very rarely even used total makeover kits on my character because it changes them too much. (The only big change was my male charr where none of the default faces were right for him anyway.) So the changes of Anet making changes as extensive as those in your example which don't bother me seems unlikely.

@NigthMaremoon.7185 said:I mean, the game is aging and not like wine if you ask me, I was wondering if ANET have any plans of updating the character models, WoW, yes WoW, has been updating their character models here and there, so It would be nice if we got the same treatment for a more appealing look for today standards, what do you guys think?

It wouldn't work unless you could keep your original character model, there's to many players invested in their characters looks to have ArenaNet go and change them to be more appealing to today's standards(which is actually a personal choice on what is appealing, not everyone likes the same looks or improvements to looks).

One think i would like to be touched upon are faces, especially human ones. Females look just plain ugly 90%, while males lack diversity and most of them also don't feel manly. I'd like to see like 10 badass manly faces, that are each manly for a different reason rather then slight variations of one good model.

Personally i think people are playing the game on lower settings, you just dont get a good look for a game on lower settings. Any game. Setup right this game it dazzling, and the characters look pretty dang good. And if what you want is a change in the look of characters then that wont happen because the aesthetics of them match the game world. They look like they do because this is GW2 not BDO. Personally i dont like the style of BDO characters , its too close to uncanny valley for me.

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:One think i would like to be touched upon are faces, especially human ones. Females look just plain ugly 90%, while males lack diversity and most of them also don't feel manly. I'd like to see like 10 kitten manly faces, that are each manly for a different reason rather then slight variations of one good model.

Really? I dont think they look ugly, and the models are there for people that want manly looks. Just most people roll pretty boys, but the game has the options for a manly man.

@NigthMaremoon.7185 said:

@"Tiviana.2650" said:I have to ask, are you talking graphics or aesthetics? Another thing , how are your graphics set up? Because the game looks completely different from low to high, post processing or not. Also the gw2 reshade hook is amazing.! > >! > >
! > >! > >
! >I'm referring no to aesthetic, but base character models per se, for example what league of legends do when they rework a champion,new more polish character models, the aesthetic is great, I just would love to have better base models, for example to give you an Idea:

! >
32dsXM2.jpg
! >

Among the reasons this isn't likely to happen: I like your before image better than your after. (It has more character, for me.) It's not that ANet is likely to share my sense of aesthetics (evidence is they largely do not); it's that "new" isn't necessarily "better" for everyone. Just because they update models doesn't mean anyone is going to like the "new" more than the "old."

I don't like the vast majority of faces for characters in GW2 (too many grumpy or depressed ones, for my taste). So I'd prefer to see ANet add to the list, rather than update. I'd rather see more choices, not the same amount, looking different.

I agree with OP. At the very least, I'd like the team to go back to the older Armor, hair, and weapon skins and bring them up to the quality of the newer items. It's obvious the team has made great strides in the quality of their work and I'd love that to carry over to older things.

SWTOR attempted to do this via unannounced changes to characters' eye texture.

Well.

! First they royally botched the eye texture changes, in traditional SWTOR style. They updated the textures, all right...and somehow changes the colors, too. Brown eyes became, depending on species, bright yellow, the color of a dead worm, or sickly yellow-green. Green eyes became dull grey/purple, or a strange sickly pale green - or for twi'leks, blazingly bright neon green. Blue eyes became either washed-out, jaundiced, cataract-cloudy blue, turquoise, and light blue eyes became so dark blue they looked nearly black. Purple eyes became pink. Theron Shan's unique amber eyes turned neon yellow-red. Red eyes became fiery orange-red. Yellow eyes turned white.! Why they needed or wanted to update the textures, nobody knew - characters' eyes looked perfectly fine and nobody complained before all of this... The new eye textures, once things finally settled down, were not an improvement and just sort of...existed. No one asked for it.

And again, this change was unannounced and never commented about (aside from a few hasty "Oh, uh, guess we caught a bug with these eye colors...yeah, we'll fix it. [several patch notes later] We fixed it! Nowshutupandleaveusalone.")They didn't fix it. It's been several years and they have never fixed some of the unwanted eye color changes. (And that's not even going into the also unannounced subtle changes to female body styles, the female cathar fur color glitch that they "fixed" by changing the entire fur color [leaving everybody who had a female cathar character with a fur color they didn't choose or want], aaaand others...)

...so no, I do not want GW2 to do the same. Too many things can go wrong, and there is nothing that truly needs changing, anyway. One person's ideas of "outdated" graphics is not the entire community + the dev team's idea of "outdated" graphics.

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot?????

GW2's graphics were way ahead of its time compared to its competitors, even to this day, other than eye candy MMOs like BDO, the only proper MMO that comes to my mind that has better character model is FF14... swtor's character felt like they came from early 2000s shooters

should check out NCSoft's other titles, like Lineage 2, oh gosh, the graphics :astonished:

@"crepuscular.9047" said:

should check out NCSoft's other titles, like Lineage 2, oh gosh, the graphics :astonished:

I did just that during the last weekend (we're looking for something "new" to play together with husband) and I couldn't even really play, because I was laughing so hard. We then switched to Neverwinter, which is a bit better... but oh my gosh - the hands! What are those supposed to be?

Anyway, please don't mess with character models in GW2. They're one of the nicest I've come across and they're certainly the ones I like the best. Not even BDO can compare (for me personally).

@Danikat.8537 said:That kind of change to GW2 characters could be controversial. RPG characters where you can customise their appearance tend to be very personal things for players, and I can imagine that for everyone who loves the new look there would be someone who feels it's totally destroyed who their character is. It wouldn't surprise me if some people quit as a result.

Fair but in my opnion the pros of better looking models outweight the cons, blizzard also seemed to agree and so did the players. Btw im not sauing change entire face and hair styles just make them higher detail.

@Kalavier.1097 said:Why do the player models need updated? WoW needed updates just to try to stay relevant graphically, as it's quite an ancient game now.

Frankly, I think the models are quite good looking at the moment in guild wars 2.

In my opinion*, the reason they need to be updated is because the newer things are better made than older ones. Newer hairs, armors, and weapons are all of better quality than the original stuff. I think everything should be brought up to the newer standards.

• The opinion is that things should be more equal, it's fact that newer items are able to be of higher quality.

I just want option to choose the new models.

I take a Human scaled Norn model as a Human replacement, since I don't really like the human model much.

I want that upright Tengu model as a replacement option for a upright Charr. I really really would like an upright Charr.

Asura I don't know what can be done there. Be creative I guess. I just want to standout a bit more so my skins are more visible.

A facelift to the models wouldn't hurt along with a ton more customization dumped in for good measure. With all they have learned and done Im sure it could be cool; I mean imagine if you could choose to be in beast form all the time as a norn? Or an Awoken human? Or a reformed Mordrem sylvari? Could be cool as hell, heck even having us choose to play customization wise as an Olmakhan charr with new aesthetics.

When it comes to the character models, and armor outside of humans it mostly looks hideous. (Unless you are female norn/sylvary of course.)

@Thornwolf.9721 said:...heck even having us choose to play customization wise as an Olmakhan charr with new aesthetics.

We do have access to the Olmakhan (sp?) charr horns (I don't think they brought any other new cosmetic styling with them when they were added to the game). I don't remember if they're available at character creation or if they're makeover kit-exclusive, but we do have access to them.

Unless I'm horrendously mis-remembering things, of course.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:A facelift to the models wouldn't hurt along with a ton more customization dumped in for good measure. With all they have learned and done Im sure it could be cool; I mean imagine if you could choose to be in beast form all the time as a norn? Or an Awoken human? Or a reformed Mordrem sylvari? Could be cool as hell, heck even having us choose to play customization wise as an Olmakhan charr with new aesthetics.

When it comes to the character models, and armor outside of humans it mostly looks hideous. (Unless you are female norn/sylvary of course.)

We differ there. Norn makes have the best look for armor,Were as the Human has best weapon size scaling