School Uniform

@Dragon Priestess.9760 said:Like the Aurene outfit and the gw2 emblem outfit, I don't think this outfit fits at all in this world. I'd rather not have it added in game. I'm in favour of more world-friendly civilian outfits.

Agreed. I'd love to have more of the clothing we see on NPCs in cities available to players. Some of it might have to be race-specific, but we know they can do that because some existing outfits change based on the race of the character wearing them (the wedding outfit for example).

@Trise.2865 said:

@"mindcircus.1506" said:I would really hate to see any resources allocated to this kind of garbage.

Hard pass.

A simple "I would rather they not." would have sufficed, maybe with some ideas and suggestions for what
would
be interesting attire to you. No need to get aggressive.

But ask yourself this: if it was called "Formal Attire" or "Corporate Casual", would you still be this averse to more clothing options? Do people really hate plaid skirts or pressed pants with casual shirts and double-breasted suit coats, blazers, and/or cardigan sweaters? do they just hate anime and anime fans (for whatever reason)? or maybe do they not want to be reminded they're no longer children and might have to (or worse,
enjoy
) wearing an outfit like that as an employed adult?

Really? These are my choices?Either I like it or I dislike a certain form of entertainment and the fans of it? Or I am hating some inner man-child? or I hate the name?There are many reasons I could feel this certain asset is garbage. Maybe I have looked at it in game via chat code and seen seams on the textures. Maybe I'm at my breaking point with the death of this game's original aesthetic. Maybe it's a issue with dressing as children.I can think of a dozen reasons to dislike this outfit.

The OP never stated why they wanted it, but apparently I have to do some kind of self-examination and give reasons and alternatives because I don't?

right... sounds legit.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@mindcircus.1506 said:I would really hate to see any resources allocated to this kind of garbage.

Hard pass.

A simple "I would rather they not." would have sufficed, maybe with some ideas and suggestions for what
would

But ask yourself this: if it was called "Formal Attire" or "Corporate Casual", would you still be this averse to more clothing options? Do people really hate plaid skirts or pressed pants with casual shirts and double-breasted suit coats, blazers, and/or cardigan sweaters? do they just hate anime and anime fans (for whatever reason)? or maybe do they not want to be reminded they're no longer children and might have to (or worse,
enjoy

Really? These are my choices?Either I like it or I dislike a certain form of entertainment and the fans of it? Or I am hating some inner man-child? or I hate the name?There are many reasons I could feel this certain asset is garbage. Maybe I have looked at it in game via chat code and seen seams on the textures. Maybe I'm at my breaking point with the death of this game's original aesthetic. Maybe it's a issue with dressing as children.I can think of a dozen reasons to dislike this outfit.

The OP never stated why they wanted it, but apparently I have to do some kind of self-examination and give reasons and alternatives because I don't?

right... sounds legit.

To both of you I ask: Is this topic really worth getting so worked up over?

@Tiviana.2650 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:If The stockings were replaced by socks I'd be interested it it, too.

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:I think the issue is less about it being a skirt and more about it being a skirt worn by people of a certain age.

Our characters are at least in there 20's.Would you be offended by adults wearing School Uniforms?At least here in Germany we have schools for adults.

Its got nothing to do with me being offended by an outfit, and everything to do with people who roleplay certain things

People can RP "certain things" with asura too. Should we ban them too? Can we stop with the thought police and focus on adding more variety in game?

I 'm not even interested in that outfit but the fantasy school/academy setting is back in style lately, especially after the latest Fire Emblem game. So I can see why players would like something like that in game.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"mindcircus.1506" said:I would really hate to see any resources allocated to this kind of garbage.

Hard pass.

would

enjoy

Does anyone dress like that as an adult? That blazer is definitely something I associate exclusively with school uniforms, but maybe I'm thinking too UK-centric here. But if it was supposed to be corporate attire for adults I'd expect a suit jacket, not a blazer. Similarly whilst I do see adult women wearing plaid skirts I'd expect them to wear it with a casual top, not a blazer (because of those only being seen as part of school uniform) and either bare legs or full length tights underneath, the long socks are also pretty much only worn as part of a school uniform. (In which the skirt should be longer but they'd pull or roll it up on the way to school.)

I'm not against this outfit being added, but it seems very strange to me to suggest it could pass for real-life professional clothing for adults.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Only if they implement the Paper-Bag Helms first.

I was always kind of disappointed those never made it into the game, I think they'd be a fun option.

(Although it would have been even more amusing if they'd been added before the total makeover kits were added, when players kept asking for a solution for ugly characters they didn't want to delete and restart.)

Well, I have worn an outfit much like this..as normal day wear... from the ages 18 to 25.Funnily enough, I did not wear skirts while in school.

@OP.. I like it..tho it looks horrendous on Charr.

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:If The stockings were replaced by socks I'd be interested it it, too.

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:I think the issue is less about it being a skirt and more about it being a skirt worn by people of a certain age.

Our characters are at least in there 20's.Would you be offended by adults wearing School Uniforms?At least here in Germany we have schools for adults.

Its got nothing to do with me being offended by an outfit, and everything to do with people who roleplay certain things

People can RP "certain things" with asura too. Should we ban them too? Can we stop with the thought police and focus on adding more variety in game?

I 'm not even interested in that outfit but the fantasy school/academy setting is back in style lately, especially after the latest Fire Emblem game. So I can see why players would like something like that in game.

Sorry but no.... I already tire of much of the disgusting and vulgar focused RP chat and emote chat in DR especially. This kind of thing will only make it that much worse because we all know what it will open up to.Want to RP playing with school kids then go hire some dress up and do it in privacy of your own room I say.

@Danikat.8537 said:

Does anyone dress like that as an adult? That blazer is definitely something I associate exclusively with school uniforms, but maybe I'm thinking too UK-centric here. But if it was supposed to be corporate attire for adults I'd expect a suit jacket, not a blazer. Similarly whilst I do see adult women wearing plaid skirts I'd expect them to wear it with a casual top, not a blazer (because of those only being seen as part of school uniform) and either bare legs or full length tights underneath, the long socks are also pretty much only worn as part of a school uniform. (In which the skirt should be longer but they'd pull or roll it up on the way to school.)

I'm not against this outfit being added, but it seems very strange to me to suggest it could pass for real-life professional clothing for adults.

Yes, actually! Though the styles and patterns tend toward more neutral and solid/plaid rather than symbolic stripes, these clothes and styles are quite common in many offices in my area, particularly in the colder regions, where it is commonplace to wear long socks or stockings over leggings (but still wear a skirt, which doesn't make sense to me, but oh well...), and sweaters or cardigans in the fall. Then again, I live in heavy maritime regions, and outfits like this are also associated with yacht sailing; wealth instead of youth.

@mindcircus.1506 said:Really? These are my choices?Either I like it or I dislike a certain form of entertainment and the fans of it? Or I am hating some inner man-child? or I hate the name?There are many reasons I could feel this certain asset is garbage. Maybe I have looked at it in game via chat code and seen seams on the textures. Maybe I'm at my breaking point with the death of this game's original aesthetic. Maybe it's a issue with dressing as children.I can think of a dozen reasons to dislike this outfit.

right... sounds legit.

What did I tell you about that hostility, son? Nobody is attacking you. Try adding to the conversation, rather than getting all defensive and huffy. I'm asking you to support your position, or at least contribute to the conversation in a constructive way (which you still haven't done, btw).

The poster made a statement; their motivations are obvious: they want to wear at least one of those outfits. You moved not only to dismiss, but destroy it, without reasoning. The onus of proof is on you. I merely suggested you reexamine your motives, which you still haven't done, and consider possibilities you obviously hadn't, in the interest of having a better, more intelligent and nuanced discussion. Can we do that? or should I start posting reports to give us both a brief time-out? since this particular sidetrack clearly violates forum rules about derailing...

I'm not sure how easy it would be to add it. It was made as town clothes (probably in a few mix and match pieces, since they were like that back then). The town clothes that did get added got turned into tonics for the most part, and those then got made into outfits, almost all with terrible choices of mix and match to forever weld together as well as awful dye channel distribution. Given that this one and the scholar town clothes never even got as far as the store, they may have had bugs that prevented it and who knows if they even still have the original files?

Chill mates, it's a simple request. Nothing to get worked up over.

I don't understand why some of you feel a skirt/school uniform is unheard of in this world. You have an entire faction (Durmand Priory) that is entirely focused on scholar activities and some of them already have similar outfits, they just happen to have longer skirts. Some skins/outfits, particularly the norn/human female cultural armors are far more revealing than this and some way more suggestive, such as Gem Aura Outfit on females and the Vigil Honor leggings, etc.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Sorry but no.... I already tire of much of the disgusting and vulgar focused RP chat and emote chat in DR especially. This kind of thing will only make it that much worse because we all know what it will open up to.Want to RP playing with school kids then go hire some dress up and do it in privacy of your own room I say.

Cool story (projecting much?). Can you tell me exactly what is vulgar about an academy setting similar to the game I mentioned? I'm not sure but I think it has even lower age rating than GW (Nintendo is notoriously family friendly).

Is it possible that this outfits has legal issues, for being too similar to some other possibly existing fantasy property involving a school?I haven't looked myself, so I don't really know, an my memory is a bit fuzzy.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:I think the issue is less about it being a skirt and more about it being a skirt worn by people of a certain age.

Well where I live, neither formalized education for adults, nor things like apprenticeships are really a big thing. Just school, university, then throw you into the fire of the job market. There is vocational training and adult oriented curricula, but it doesn't seem to be a big focus or very formalized like academics.

Can't I have jeans and different tee shirts or tops?
Some of you haven't played games like aion I suggest you go google what outfits they did there - I'm be really surprised if some one complained and they decided against it. I mean they have never been there before, right?

@Tiviana.2650 said:I think thats a little provocative to put in the game. And if you dont know why then you are really naive.\

and the post above me explains why.

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:I would buy this just to wear it and follow my guild leader around while calling him daddy so that I can hear the him cringe.

Clearly I know how to prioritize my money spending.

I don't know, I think it's a bit far to call a School Uniform provocative (unless thats what provokes you, if ya know what i mean). But we literally have a dominatrix-esque skin (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Profane_Greatcoat_(consumable)), a fox girl outfit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/bf034y/shrine_maiden_outfit_makes_my_character_look_like/), a succubus outfit (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Raiment_of_the_Lich), bunny ears, devil horns, etc. so I don't see the harm in adding a School uniform. But I think they once said that they wanted to move away from real-life outfits as much as possible, to preserve the fantasy aspect of the game. Though, I think they're missing out on a bunch of potential sales

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:

Cool story (projecting much?). Can you tell me exactly what is vulgar about an academy setting similar to the game I mentioned? I'm not sure but I think it has even lower age rating than GW (Nintendo is notoriously family friendly).

You just answered your own posting.. projecting and it will only be abused for some vulgar twisted RP spiel like exists each and every day in DR especially. It is why some players frown upon the RP scene, which is a shame for those wanting to play it in the socially acceptable way it should be.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

You just answered your own posting.. projecting and it will only be abused for some vulgar twisted RP spiel like exists each and every day in DR especially. It is why some players frown upon the RP scene, which is a shame for those wanting to play it in the socially acceptable way it should be.

Designing a game around whatever players chose to do in their private chat boxes(or even external clients), is a nonsensical notion and a slippery slope. It ends up severely limiting options and punishing many who may wanted to use those offerings in the mainstream manner they are intended for. If the same logic applied to items already in game we'd end up with a butchered wardrobe tab. Because there are already plenty of items in the game that could (and are) being used in the way you are implying.

@"PirateSpice.8735" said:Just...please no. I don't really care about the whole "schoolgirl" thing. It's just that it doesn't fit the setting. I'm so tired of seeing things like t-shirts and baseball caps in Tyria. This would be the same sort of immersion break.

In my eyes there's no setting anymore with all the infusions, starbound items, ridiculous quaggan hats, festive items, sunglasses etc.

And since there's no setting anymore, i'm all for the outfit! Let people have what they want! There are already so many otherworldly, immersion-breaking skins that it doesn't matter anymore in my opinion.

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:

Designing a game around whatever players chose to do in their private chat boxes(or even external clients), is a nonsensical notion and a slippery slope. It ends up severely limiting options and punishing many who may wanted to use those offerings in the mainstream manner they are intended for. If the same logic applied to items already in game we'd end up with a butchered wardrobe tab. Because there are already plenty of items in the game that could (and are) being used in the way you are implying.

I agree, which is why I said it is a shame that it ends up tarnishing genuine RP'ers with the same brush. But I would rather not have such a specifically themed outfit in game that will be abused in a heart beat, there is already far too much of that kind of garbage talk going on in game as is.. so as I said no thanks, the rest is of course up to ANET.