[Merged] Oh cool you must buy more build slots

@yoni.7015 said:You are still spreading lies. We will get some templates for free. Only if you want to have more you have to pay. And I mean you are telling us you have a car and a house, I am sure you will manage paying a little money for a game. So that other people maybe will get a house and a car.

That's half true, at best (for build templates, which is the chief source of complaint). You currently effectively have three builds in game, one each for PvE, PvP, and WvW. After build templates go live, you will still have three build templates, but they will be general purpose. If you actually used a separate build for each mode, you didn't gain anything, really.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"SLOTH.5231" said:I’m here defending a game I love it’s not perfect by no means but to complain about a free item is just dumb as hell.

The gear templates are free, and a welcome addition.

Build templates were already available FOR FREE, by installing arcDPS, and you had unlimited build templates to use. Now with this change, arcDPS templates will be discontinued while everyone gets 3 for free, and have to pay for extra if you want additional builds.

By the way, everyone in game already has 3 free build templates - they are just tied to a game mode. In PvE, WvW and sPvP zones, your build/utilities are saved, so as you zone in/out of each game mode, your build will change to what you have set. All this does is now allow a player to set 3 different PvE templates for play while in a PvE zone, but if they then zone in to WvW or sPvP on the same character, they have to select a build from their 3 presets, or if assuming those 3 builds are all PvE, they then have to manually change their build/utilities, or buy an additional slot.

So in fact, for many players, the build templates aren't a "free item" at all, as it's just re-purposing what already existed in game and/or via arcDPS.

@yoni.7015 said:

@LaFurion.3167 said:So you only get 3 per acc on release and have to buy more if you want to be able to use more than 3 builds??

Is the 3 build slots per class?? So 3 ranger builds and 3 warrior builds etc, or just 3 across the whole acc??

Because.... gem store for build slots seems kind of money grubbing. I'm grateful for the system though sigh...

Ofc it's money-grabbing. Anet is doing BUSINESS not a charity. I dont wanna lose money neither but it's understandable.

I would argue running what u call business, in this manner, leads to shutting down, but hey thats just me.

I would argue that giving EVERYTHING away for free will lead to shutting down sooner. You get plenty of free templates, but if you want to play 100 different builds per class, then support the game with $$$.

That is the problem for many. They want everything for free and don’t want to support a game they play because everyone is working for fun to please them.

Actually the problem is people were happy and got used to build templates being free and unlimited.

So we used to have free, unlimited templates. Now, that is being taken away, and we will instead get limited and paid-for templates.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@LaFurion.3167 said:So you only get 3 per acc on release and have to buy more if you want to be able to use more than 3 builds??

Is the 3 build slots per class?? So 3 ranger builds and 3 warrior builds etc, or just 3 across the whole acc??

Because.... gem store for build slots seems kind of money grubbing. I'm grateful for the system though sigh...

Ofc it's money-grabbing. Anet is doing BUSINESS not a charity. I dont wanna lose money neither but it's understandable.

I would argue running what u call business, in this manner, leads to shutting down, but hey thats just me.

I would argue that giving EVERYTHING away for free will lead to shutting down sooner. You get plenty of free templates, but if you want to play 100 different builds per class, then support the game with $$$.

That is the problem for many. They want everything for free and don’t want to support a game they play because everyone is working for fun to please them.

Actually the problem is people were happy and got used to build templates being free and unlimited.

So we used to have free, unlimited templates. Now, that is being taken away, and we will instead get limited and paid-for templates.

I didn’t have them.

@yoni.7015 said:

I didn’t have them.

But you had access to an unlimited amount if u wanted, now you don't

@susana.7814 said:

I didn’t have them.

Yep exactly. You missed out on unlimited free templates.

On this thread it is said we are getting a few for free (I have seen nothing official, personally), then there will be more for purchase, if you want more. I see nothing wrong with a small paywall, since we get some free first. Otherwise the entire system would be locked behind an expansion paywall... You play this game for 7 years for free. There have only been 2 expansions to buy... and people complain there is not enough free? Grow up folks... :)

I didn’t have them.

That’s okay for me. The templates from Arenanet will be enough. And if I need more I can easily get them by supporting the game.

@SLOTH.5231 said:I’m here defending a game I love it’s not perfect by no means but to complain about a free item is just dumb as hell.

As others said, we already had it free, as in, fully free and unlimited. And it's being replaced by a festure that gives you a tiny amount of slots for free then charges thru the nose for more.

There's nothing wrong with defending the game, but defending specifically that is dumb as hell, unless you absolutely adore being milked like a cow

@Tukaram.8256 said:On this thread it is said we are getting a few for free (I have seen nothing official, personally), then there will be more for purchase, if you want more. I see nothing wrong with a small paywall, since we get some free first. Otherwise the entire system would be locked behind an expansion paywall... You play this game for 7 years for free. There have only been 2 expansions to buy... and people complain there is not enough free? Grow up folks... :)

If anything, I think it would cause less complaining if build templates were paywalled behind a one-off account upgrade that gave, like, 500 general slots and thirty saved slots per character.

Wasn't surprised that gear templates are going to be paid per-character-per-template, of course, because they're the equivalent of a 19-slot bag with both more and less functionality.

I have been playing this game 7 years, on a free server. I only bought 2 expansions. Still no monthly fee.
They are giving us like 3 free - which will be plenty for most players. More are available if you want to buy them. Seems pretty good to me.Otherwise the entire system would likely be in an expansion - a big paywall. Life goes on, this will be fine. They give us tons of content for free. Some people are just never satisfied...

@yoni.7015 said:

I didn’t have them.

That’s okay for me. The templates from Arenanet will be enough. And if I need more I can easily get them by supporting the game.

Oh so you don’t care about anything that affects other people, you only care about yourself and as long as you get what you personally want then nothing else matters. Oki. Nice personality btw.

I agree the method being used is the drug dealer method of here the first ones are free but if you want more....

But......these still cost nothing since you don't have to spend money on them, just farm the gold and do the conversion. Impatiention has its own price. You now have a month's warning so if it does bother you that extra ones will need to come from the gem store then get to farming and converting. Get out of the microwave generation.

I didn’t have them.

Oh so you don’t care about anything that affects other people, you only care about yourself and as long as you get what you personally want then nothing else matters. Oki. Nice personality btw.

I never said that. But I can only speak for myself and for me it is okay. That you don’t want to support a game you play and support their employees, that is your thing, there are always unsocial people who think that way.

@Tukaram.8256 said:On this thread it is said we are getting a few for free (I have seen nothing official, personally), then there will be more for purchase, if you want more. I see nothing wrong with a small paywall, since we get some free first. Otherwise the entire system would be locked behind an expansion paywall... You play this game for 7 years for free. There have only been 2 expansions to buy... and people complain there is not enough free? Grow up folks... :)

I love how people saying they want build templates free as they have already existed free for some years now is people wanting everything for free, in your eyes. Absolutely awful straw manning on your part there my friend. People would literally throw money at an expansion. This isn’t the same.

I can understand how it must feel to be told Something you had for free for years is now requiring money. But folks forget that third party programs Didn't have to be accepted in the first place by Anet. Modding in most MMos is a huge No-No. I was frankly dumbfounded to see it was tolerated to a certain extent here.

3 build template per characters is acceptable. 2 Equipments template per char is acceptable, from the point of view of someone who never used third party programs. It might come out of left field, but since I didn't use third party programs, the above templates are free for me, and more than adequate to start with.

@Tukaram.8256 said:I have been playing this game 7 years, on a free server. I only bought 2 expansions. Still no monthly fee.

They are giving us like 3 free - which will be plenty for most players. More are available if you want to buy them. Seems pretty good to me.Otherwise the entire system would likely be in an expansion - a big paywall. Life goes on, this will be fine. They give us tons of content for free. Some people are just never satisfied...

No, they aldready did it in GW1. They implemented the whole thing like 3 years after release, it was unlimited, shareable and the whole feature was completely free. And GW1 didn't have a cash shop comparable to GW2.

@yoni.7015 said:

I didn’t have them.

I never said that. But I can only speak for myself and for me it is okay. That you don’t want to support a game you play and support their employees, that is your thing, there are always unsocial people who think that way.

Another disgusting straw man attempt. Apparently me not being happy with this build template implementation is me not wanting to or not being willing to support the game. Stop that right now.

@Tukaram.8256 said:I have been playing this game 7 years, on a free server. I only bought 2 expansions. Still no monthly fee.

define ton of content for free, both expacs were paid, which means LS3 and LS4 were both paid, all expac like features were paid as they are a part of expacs. pretty sure u need pof for ls5 too so that's also paid. Raids technically paid since they locked behind expacs. certain stats are also paid depending on which expac u have

I didn’t have them.

Another disgusting straw man attempt. Apparently me not being happy with this build template implementation is me not wanting to or not being willing to support the game. Stop that right now.

never mind all the money i've spent on gems for cosmetics and other things, i guess that wasn't supporting the game either.

@PeerlessArch.6547 said:

I would argue hyperbole never really helped anyone's arguement. Anet isnt charity just like we arent, they upped the monetisation over the last 3 or so years yet that didnt translate to an increase in ingame content.

I want to keep investing into the game but if not seeing a return i not going to.

@"yoni.7015" said:Yeah sureBut that maybe others want to earn money so they can have a house and a car. That is so horrible for you?You don't understand.This is monetization of a feature that we already had because they took 7 years to produce it.It is not fair on principle.

3u5niyO.png

> @"Arenanet" said:

At release, each character will get three Build Template tabs, which will be preloaded with their existing equipped builds from PvE, PvP, and WvW. You can swap the contents of the Build Template tabs for use in any game mode or purchase more tabs from the Gem Store.No thanks. I am not going to pay for the full functionality of a function that is already available to everyone; because you took so long to make it that someone, on their own free time, already made a very well functioning build templates add-on with unlimited "tabs". I sincerely hope you don't plan on making the use of this add-on an offense.

I would urge "this is fine" voters to consider that just because you didn't use [omitted title] doesn't mean it wasn't incredibly useful and valuable to many in the gw2 community. You may be siding with a sizable injustice to portions of our community by saying "this is OK" (see footer note/edit)

I can think of another popular MMORPG that, instead of doing this, ended up incorporating add-ons in the game and encouraged making helpful/useful add-ons. You don't need to vouch for the add-on as professionals... but you simply just needed to allow it to exist. Instead, because you guys wanted to do it yourselves, we're now paying for what we already had easy and consistent access to, because you wanted to monetize it. Ok, so we get a little perk in saving inventory space, but all I want is to not have this be forced on me. I already have the functionality of build templates, if you disallow that, and enforce your build templates functionality, you are forcing me to buy the inventory slots gained by using your option. Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea. But I'm left with no choice but to give you money. Even if I'm willing to do that, I defy that on principle.

Mounts in WvW was one thing. We adjusted to it, even though we did not want to.If you make this pay-for-full-functionality I will lose faith that I shouldn't still have to begin with.

Taking a screenshot of this post & saving it. Why? Well, you know how it is here.

edit: wording, and: note that if we are still allowed to use [omitted title] after this release, I won't mind so much. I can look past that easily, if this condition is met.