Level Up effects reduced! Umm...

QoL Update: Leveling up and items that grant levels and experience now display a less noisy visual effect to other players.

Has anyone noticed any change to the routine "L80 NOW!" dance at banks, etc? I can't think of any motivation for this update other than that since normal level-up animation / knockback is hardly an issue. I'm still unhappy to see people banging tomes and going up one level at a time with the attendant noise and animation at banks most of the time I'm at one for more than two minutes. Just like before.

Or did the animation get a tiny bit less flashy? If that's the point, someone severely missed the point: It's the NOISE - AND - the animation that's obnoxious when it's done 80 times in a row. That part doesn't seem to have been affected at all. I can't imagine a dev spent time on this only to reduce the net annoyance by some microscopic amount.

How about just putting a two minute timer on the sound/animation from level-ups and be done with it? There's no need to see/hear this repeatedly in short spans, and plenty of reason not to.

And before anyone chimes in and berates me, this IS the biggest problem in the game! Well, next to that demon-spawn Ho-Ho Tron and its infernal constant bell ringing!

@"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:That's why I play without sound. No sound at all. It's glorious. No more obnoxious unicorn bows! Begone pesky kids playing explorers!! Take that chatty bank teller and your flower fetish!!! Silence... blessed silence. Now I can play in peace and listen to Cinema Sins in the background.

I also play without sound most of the time and all captions turned on, except for new story episodes and competitive modes where hearing possible audial tells can give an advantage.

It's much more relaxed to listen to my own music or some stream or whatever, especially when lately in cities I've started hearing constant "uhh! uhh? hmm... mmh! nuh-uh." It's horrible. I guess these sounds are being spammed by NPCs and there's probably an option to turn it off from the settings, but eh, whatever.

I play with no sound on, usually because I am watching a movie or something on my other monitor. But I do agree that gaining a level with a tome needs to not have any visual or audio effects. I do believe that there are people who, when they are creating a new character and are tome leveling them up, will do so in the bank to intentionally attempt to annoy/irritate others. It is not very hard to waypoint, for free inside the city, somewhere else with your tomes to level up or at least run out of the bank to a less populated area, it is just common courtesy.

@"Kruhljak.2705" said:QoL Update: Leveling up and items that grant levels and experience now display a less noisy visual effect to other players.

Has anyone noticed any change to the routine "L80 NOW!" dance at banks, etc? I can't think of any motivation for this update other than that since normal level-up animation / knockback is hardly an issue. I'm still unhappy to see people banging tomes and going up one level at a time with the attendant noise and animation at banks most of the time I'm at one for more than two minutes. Just like before.

Or did the animation get a tiny bit less flashy? If that's the point, someone severely missed the point: It's the NOISE - AND - the animation that's obnoxious when it's done 80 times in a row. That part doesn't seem to have been affected at all. I can't imagine a dev spent time on this only to reduce the net annoyance by some microscopic amount.

How about just putting a two minute timer on the sound/animation from level-ups and be done with it? There's no need to see/hear this repeatedly in short spans, and plenty of reason not to.

And before anyone chimes in and berates me, this IS the biggest problem in the game! Well, next to that demon-spawn Ho-Ho Tron and its infernal constant bell ringing!

Agrees that it's the sound, not the visual effect, that is so spectacularly annoying.

hangs head in shame for being one of the demon-spawn Ho-Ho Tron users

PS (but only during the winter festival)

@Kaliwenda.3428 said:hangs head in shame for being one of the demon-spawn Ho-Ho Tron users

PS (but only during the winter festival)

I don't blame players, I blame the design team behind it. I mean, why does the bell-ringing have to be incessant? Someone made that decision and must be held accountable with yearly complaints!

I'm glad at least that it seems (really not sure now that I think of it) you can only hear one instance of the audio loop at a time. I can only imagine the insanity resulting from dozens of them being out in the same place and all ringing in concert. shiver

@Zoltar MacRoth.7146 said:That's why I play without sound. No sound at all. It's glorious. No more obnoxious unicorn bows! Begone pesky kids playing explorers!! Take that chatty bank teller and your flower fetish!!! Silence... blessed silence. Now I can play in peace and listen to Cinema Sins in the background.

You are unaware, it seems, that you can regulate all those sounds separately and adjust (even mute) them the way you want? ;)

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Zoltar MacRoth.7146 said:That's why I play without sound. No sound at all. It's glorious. No more obnoxious unicorn bows! Begone pesky kids playing explorers!! Take that chatty bank teller and your flower fetish!!! Silence... blessed silence. Now I can play in peace and listen to Cinema Sins in the background.

You are unaware, it seems, that you can regulate all those sounds separately and adjust (even mute) them the way you want? ;)

Not only unaware, but can't take the 10 seconds to adjust the different sliders for the different sounds, they put sliders in for just that reason, some like to hear in-game sounds, some don't and some are in-between, it's all covered with sliders.

i dont even see why other players need to see/hear the animation of leveling up of another player just make it so it' shows to that specific character and it's done.personally i dont really care I have never heard too many of them in a row but 'm hardly ever at cities, most of the time i'm in open world doing events. achievements.

@coso.9173 said:i dont even see why other players need to see/hear the animation of leveling up of another player just make it so it' shows to that specific character and it's done.personally i dont really care I have never heard too many of them in a row but 'm hardly ever at cities, most of the time i'm in open world doing events. achievements.

Its pretty annoying if your at the bank for an extended time. Me, I hop away from the crowd when I am eating tomes or more than a couple recipes. A shame so many are careless about this.

@Ashantara.8731 said:You are unaware, it seems, that you can regulate all those sounds separately and adjust (even mute) them the way you want? ;)

Ah yes, the game as it's meant to be played: endlessly fiddling with individual broad-stroke sliders to combat noise pollution.

You are unaware, it seems, that some noises can't be regulated individually because other noises in the same grouping are important to gameplay and the overall playing experience. That some people are choosing to completely silence the game because of this is a shame, and I welcome any middle ground solutions or feedback regarding disruptive sound elements like the level-up tome, player attacks, (and a number of miniatures/Ranger pets). There is a similar case to be made for visual noise (auras, custom mount skins, vivid dyes) as well, but that's a whole other bunch of bananas.

Don't winkyface at people when presenting your points; it comes off as mocking.

Personally, I don't care about the sound or effect at all, but what I do care about is the annoying confirmation dialogue when using tomes, and/or lack of a "Use All" option. And I'd imagine it would be less impactful for people if you could machine-gun through them in a few seconds rather than drawing it out with all the extra clicks right now.

AND it wasn't always this way! They ADDED the confirmation for who-knows-what reason years ago. You get SO many of these tomes, they are not a rare commodity that you need to be absolutely sure you're using on the right character at the right time. If they fix the inability to consume them quickly they will also fix the problem that those who don't like the effects have, IMO.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but we should be able to trade 80 tomes of knowledge, or the sum of tomes which result equals 80 and trade it for an instant level 80.Problem solved.

Also if we can change 20 writs of knowledge for 1 tome, why not trade every 10 tomes for a +10 levels tome?

I too walk way, further enough, not to hear the obnoxious sound of people leveling up, one single level at the time.

When I do level up my own characters; I'm considerate enough to do it in an isolated place, so people don't have to put up with it.

@AgentMoore.9453 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:You are unaware, it seems, that you can regulate all those sounds separately and adjust (even mute) them the way you want? ;)

Ah yes, the game as it's meant to be played: endlessly fiddling with individual broad-stroke sliders to combat noise pollution.

You are unaware, it seems, that some noises
can't
be regulated individually because other noises in the same grouping are important to gameplay and the overall playing experience. That some people are choosing to completely silence the game because of this is a shame, and I welcome any middle ground solutions or feedback regarding disruptive sound elements like the level-up tome, player attacks, (and a number of miniatures/Ranger pets). There is a similar case to be made for visual noise (auras, custom mount skins, vivid dyes) as well, but that's a whole other bunch of bananas.

Well said, AgentMoore.More granularity is exactly what this needs, and not by cluttering the Options screen with more sliders. A better option would be to allow us to target NPCs and have some option on them to mute them. That way, we could mute specific NPCs. It won't fix all the noise pollution, but it would be a start. And I understand it's probably too technically difficult, but I think I'll suggest it in that QOL thread anyway. It's getting off topic here.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

Not only unaware, but can't take the 10 seconds to adjust the different sliders for the different sounds, they put sliders in for just that reason, some like to hear in-game sounds, some don't and some are in-between, it's all covered with sliders.

Ouch. I don't know what to say. I thought I was being a little obvious in the tone and suggesting an over-the-top solution like total silence to the problem of noise pollution and throwing in Cinema Sins.... but apparently it wasn't obvious enough that it was meant to be a joke. That'll teach me, I guess.

The irony is I was actually going to add more about how I also play with the monitor turned off to avoid all the visual noise, but I thought that was taking the joke too far. Now I'm wondering if I should have left that in.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

You are unaware, it seems, that you can regulate all those sounds separately and adjust (even mute) them the way you want? ;)I was not aware of an existence of a slider to adjust the level-up sound without muting a lot of other stuff i
don't
want to mute. It seems it's missing from my options. Care to enlighten me where it can be found?