Legendary Equipment and Templates - [Merged]

@Hannelore.8153 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:I don't get why people are demanding compensation. Its not like your Legendary armor has stopped working, its not like you've lost anything. You aren't being downgraded, other players are just being upgraded to the same level as you.

It literally does not affect you in any way.

On-topic: Thank you for this, QoL features like this are what the game has been missing the most.

While you have a point with this, what about having work hard for making 9 legendary sets, for months, spent a lot of time and gold on them, and now people who only made 3 of them have the same as you without any extra work?

You guys must think about that "feeling" too.

It does hurt but this happens all the time in life, and especially in video games. You work hard and then all of your hard work is just given away to some scrub, or worse, other people cheat to get to the same place as you for a fraction of the effort. It doesn't invalidate your work, its just the way things go and its something that we all have/will have to deal with many times.

Maybe ArenaNet can offer some additional benefits like custom skins, titles, etc. to people who've done this, but overall, its best to just accept it and move on, or you become stuck in the past and progress doesn't wait for anyone; you'll just be left behind.

Yup, that's true, I do agree.

Either way, I'm not asking for a full refund or anything, in fact, some of your suggestion would be nice, Titles, Skins, anything that would say "you've got it first", (but please not like the ugly outfit we've got from having the Core game xD).

As I first said, hopefully they'll add something to count us in.

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

@Delita Silverburg.8632 said:So the fact that I made a bolt for my Chrono and another for my Revenant are useless now? Is there any plans for compensation for the gold we spent to work in the terms of your templates as you released them in the first place?

I have to assume you made bolt twice a long time ago before the 2nd gen legendary weapons came around, otherwise you would have made one of each. Assuming this is the case, you got literal years of benefit from the two before this change is implemented. You are entitled to nothing. This is like demanding arenanet refund you because you bought an expac on release at full price and then 5 years later it went on sale.

Firstly, you made an assumption. I actually made my second bolt within the last week. The reason being is because it's far easier to do than the terrible process of gen 2 legendaries. Second, do you plan to say the same thing to the people who made extra sets of legendary armor? It's a lot worse for them than even it is for me. 1 extra weapon is about 2000g, and believe me that's a chore to farm, but for them it's like 15000g for 6 full sets of now useless armor. I can't imagine how they feel from this update.

@"Fire Attunement.9835" said:We want to talk a little about our plans for the next update that will affect the suite of templates features, and gather your feedback about what you hope to see from it.

We’re calling it the Legendary Armory.

Here’s a quick description of how it will work—when you bind a legendary item to your account, it will be added to the Legendary Armory. Any legendary item that is added to the Legendary Armory will become available for use by all the characters across your entire account at the same time. This removes the need for you to swap legendary equipment between characters through your bank or shared inventory. This feature will also come with updates to Equipment Template functionality to make it easier to copy the configuration of equipped legendary items from one Equipment Template to another template on the same character.

Here are our goals for the Legendary Armory feature:

• Make it feel more valuable to earn and use legendary equipment, while also making it easier to use legendary items with the Equipment Template feature.
  • Remove the need for players to swap account-bound legendary items between characters.
  • Make it easier to copy the configuration of equipped legendary items from one Equipment Template tab to another template on the same character.

Let us know your thoughts in this thread. Thank you all!

I understand that it will greatly improve the QoL of players, however I would argue against it for the following reasons:

1. I can't foresee the future, however I have the feeling that it will most likely kill raids and WvW even more, as there won't be any need to repeat those content to craft more than 1 set of legendary armor. Of course dedicated WvWer and Raider will still most likely play those game mode. But a lot of other players won't.
  2. What are veteran players going to do with all the excess LI and LD ? or Will there actually be a benefit having 2x the same set of legendary on multiple characters ? different skins etc...

I simply can't see how it will be a good thing. I mean repeatable legendaries are probably the only "try hard things" left in the game, since having multiple legendary armors or multiple WvW backpieces demonstrate a strong dedication to one of the gamemode. If that's removed what else will there be?

@AzureSky.3175 said:

@Dumat.1479 said:I have a question: I have 9 legendary armor sets, 9 legendary backpacks, a lot of weapons. What compensation will I get when this update comes?

Don't worry, you'll still have all 9 sets after the update, so there's no need for any compensation. You're welcome!

Actually, he doesn't in a system where the legendary armor gets loaded into an armory, does he now?

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:this change essentially makes ascended gear nearly useless. Even T1 legendary weapons, given they are then available on multiple equipment templates and multiple characters, are even cheaper than alternative ascended gear.

Let's remember though, as of last Tuesday, ANET made it possible to acquire ascended weapons and armor by spending a few days farming strikes and paying out 15g or so. I think this indicates they have a desire to make ascended gear easier to obtain.

Does this mean they intend to scale future raids and strikes with the stats of ascended gear in mind vs. exotics which is what current raids are presumably balanced towards ? Does this mean they are going to put even more emphasis on fractal content or a requirement for agony resist infusions in future updates, making ascended gear more important to endgame content? Are we reaching at straws, and this has nothing to do with their vision towards where the new expansion is headed, but merely want to inject some more life and excitement to the current player base? All interesting questions.

Even at that price, given 6 possible gear sets (not counting potentially more in the future) and 9 classes, that's 54 possible loadouts. Let's assume "only" 1/3 of those make use of a weapon. That's the equivalent of 810 gold for a unique skin AND never having to worry about sigils in weapons (let's not even do the math for armor, that one is even worse for ascended) and never having to worry about where the item is.

Also that calculation is ONLY for 9 characters. I have 31 atm.

So yes, this change is rather huge and I hope it is being handled with sufficient long-term consideration.

I get it, players are excited and trust me, the prospect of getting all my 31 characters full legi overnight is very tempting to me. I do still wonder what and how the effect will be on this games itemization. If one doesn't consider the itemization of value or as integral part of the game, then I do understand this would be a non issue.

EDIT:actually, let me do the legi versus ascended armor calculation while at it.1 legendary armor piece costs give or take 300 gold (and it matters not if from wvw, pvp or pve). If we assume around 50 gold per ascended item on the same slot (the equivalent of crafting currently), only 30 gold (the equivalent of cheaper crafting or reforging) or even only 10-12 gold (the equivalent of 1nce reforging the item), this comes out to:300/50 = 6,300/30 = 10,300/10 = 30items worth of ascended. Base without any additional purchases, a player has 3 classes and 2 equipment templates available (available in the sense that from the 9 classes, 3 can make use of this armor piece). That is corresponding to 3x2 item slots. Even on this basic level, crafting ascended armor becomes USELESS versus working towards a legendary. At maximum equipment templates this increases to 3x6, thus 18 item slots, making even cheaper ascended crafting beyond useless and being very close to making reforging ascended gear obsolete.

That is without considering the scalability of this feature with additional character slots, which go for 800 gems a piece (around 300 gold currently), which shift the value proposition HIGHLY in favor of skipping ANYTHING not legendary.

I'm amazed not more people are actually more concerned what this change can cause if implemented without a long-term plan in mind. We are literally talking a change which can remove itemization from this game as we know it.

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:We want to talk a little about our plans for the next update that will affect the suite of templates features, and gather your feedback about what you hope to see from it.

We’re calling it the Legendary Armory.

Here’s a quick description of how it will work—when you bind a legendary item to your account, it will be added to the Legendary Armory. Any legendary item that is added to the Legendary Armory will become available for use by all the characters across your entire account at the same time. This removes the need for you to swap legendary equipment between characters through your bank or shared inventory. This feature will also come with updates to Equipment Template functionality to make it easier to copy the configuration of equipped legendary items from one Equipment Template to another template on the same character.

Here are our goals for the Legendary Armory feature:

• Make it feel more valuable to earn and use legendary equipment, while also making it easier to use legendary items with the Equipment Template feature.
  • Remove the need for players to swap account-bound legendary items between characters.
  • Make it easier to copy the configuration of equipped legendary items from one Equipment Template tab to another template on the same character.

Let us know your thoughts in this thread. Thank you all!

Two Questions:1) If we dye one character's legendary armor one color and then used the legendary armor on the other character, will the legendary armor be un-dyed on the second character?2) Similar question for the wardrobe, if we transmute one legendary armor piece on the first character...will the second character be able to use a different transmutation skin for their legendary armor from the legendary armory?

I am SUPER happy about this, and can finally go after legendary stuff without feeling like I'm wasting my time. Will this also be the case for legendary runes and sigils, though? And will it have transmutation options?Personal nitpick while I have your attention: please allow us to change mount skins with templates. Otherwise, we have to adopt a single color scheme for all the builds on our character, and that's just boring.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Heibi.4251 said:So am I going to be reimbursed the thousands of gold I spent making multiple sets of Legendary armor? And the materials, skirmish tickets for WvW duplicate sets, Memories of Battle, etc. Nice feature but you are neglecting the players who pushed hard to equip their toons in the best armor but now are being told you wasted your gold and materials. Any answer to this?

Other people getting something doesn't take anything away from you. What have you 'lost' that makes you feel you need to reimbursed? I know GW2's ESRB Rating is only Teen, but still, the lack of maturity on display in this thread is rather appalling (though not surprising I guess).

The very fact that if they had implemented this BEFORE or WITH the introduction of Legendary Armor would have greatly affected people's decisions to make multiple sets. I for one would not have made multiple sets. So this DOES affect me and others in my situation greatly. Why can't YOU be more mature and recognize that? Being cheated out of money and wanting it back is quite a sensible reaction.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Heibi.4251 said:So am I going to be reimbursed the thousands of gold I spent making multiple sets of Legendary armor? And the materials, skirmish tickets for WvW duplicate sets, Memories of Battle, etc. Nice feature but you are neglecting the players who pushed hard to equip their toons in the best armor but now are being told you wasted your gold and materials. Any answer to this?

You don't have to use the templates across different characters, that's what you will continue to have that other people do not have with this new feature. Legendary armor has always been absolute luxury and convenience, making multiples has never been of any advantage to you other than not having to swap between chars - exactly the same as after this change.

Except for the great amount of money that was spent and now lost unless we get at least a monetary or material refund.

@Delita Silverburg.8632 said:Second, do you plan to say the same thing to the people who made extra sets of legendary armor?

Already did. It's precisely the same thing. The game changing now doesn't take away from the benefit they got of having multiple armor sets at the time. If there was no benefit to making multiple legendary armor sets, then they wouldn't have done it, but there 100% was. Again, to act entitled to something now, despite having used the benefit for as long as it existed, is exactly the same as demanding a refund because you paid full price for an expac on release just because it went on sale years later.

@"Heibi.4251" said:The very fact that if they had implemented this BEFORE or WITH the introduction of Legendary Armor would have greatly affected people's decisions to make multiple sets. I for one would not have made multiple sets. So this DOES affect me and others in my situation greatly. Why can't YOU be more mature and recognize that? Being cheated out of money and wanting it back is quite a sensible reaction.

You're not being "cheated" out of anything. You made use of a benefit that existed at the time. Now, years later the system is changing. You don't get to demand refunding for something you used for potentially years now that something is changing.

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

@"Heibi.4251" said:The very fact that if they had implemented this BEFORE or WITH the introduction of Legendary Armor would have greatly affected people's decisions to make multiple sets. I for one would not have made multiple sets. So this DOES affect me and others in my situation greatly. Why can't YOU be more mature and recognize that? Being cheated out of money and wanting it back is quite a sensible reaction.

You're not being "cheated" out of anything. You made use of a benefit that existed at the time. Now, years later the system is changing. You don't get to demand refunding for something you used for potentially years now that something is changing.

This is true.

I made multiple swords over the years because of all my characters that used swords. I dont feel cheated at all. i got alot of use out of that 2k gold over 4 years.

This is hype. Really hype. I'm so glad yall are doing this -- as someone who didn't have the resources to build a legendary before build templates, and someone who didn't want to build a legendary after build templates, I'm excited to start working on my first set of legendaries.

There are a small number of folks who could stand to be burned from this decision if not handled carefully, those with more than 1 set of armors of a type, those with copies of gen 1 legendaries, those with lots of legendary backpacks.

I suggest the following:For sellable legendaries (like gen 1 weapons), after you put your first "real" copy in the legendary armory, you can un-account bind the remaining copies to sell them on the TP.

For account bound on acquire legendaries (like armor, backpacks, etc) after you put your first "real" copy in the legendary armory, you can deconstruct it, recouping the materials and gifts, giving you a head start on making another legendary.

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

You're not being "cheated" out of anything. You made use of a benefit that existed at the time. Now, years later the system is changing. You don't get to demand refunding for something you used for maybe even years now that something is changing.

Um, you can always ask for compensation for something like this. ANET had long term plans and this might have been one of them. Had we known of their plans the vast majority would not have crafted multiple sets of armor in each category, plain and simple fact. We have a right, just as anyone in this game does, to ask for a refund of materials or gold for a radical change like this. And ANET will either say yes or no.

Thank you so much! This is a great addition! I have made some legendaries on my characters that I used for different game modes but always put of making more legendaries as I couldn't justify the cost for it. But with this I will now always be working towards a legendary until I collect them all! Great move Anet!

Kinda stupid idea really, in terms of endgame longevity. It's basically saving thousands of gold and hundreds of play hours towards 'meaningful' goals for everyone. People are gna love it, of course. Also, this still doesn't change the fact that the so-called templates system is still garbage and isn't, in fact, a template system at all.

Idea is good and welcome, but I am extremely concerned. As someone who has crafted more than the base 3 armor class legendary armors for utility purposes, this invalidates my time and effort. I don't feel respected as a dedicated player. The resources I've sunk into the additional armors could have easily been allocated to legendary trinkets or weapons or runes and sigils. I'm not owed anything absolutely and do understand it but it's a real feels bad scenario.

Another issue is that this is invalidating or causing diminishing value of Legendary Insights and Divinations in combination past 750 as there are no sinks for these "currencies". Ascended armor overall also loses a portion of value since once you obtain the legendary armor set for the one armor type, you in effect never need to have/use armor at all as well.

I want this sort of QoL, but I am deeply concerned with the long term repercussions. Material markets will subsequently also be destabilized as there is a minimal reason to use materials then for crafting the gifts of might/magic/condensed might/condensed magic etc. (To be honest, I'd love if they crashed to the point where selling to an NPC were comparable with the trading post, but that also implies an overall deflation)

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Well, you're basically telling people that if they made 1 full set of Legendary Armor, you are going to give them 2 free sets of the same weight. How could anyone not like that?

Seriously, please point out anyone who objects to this - I'll swat them with a choya-balloon.

But as others have said, will we be able to transmute the look on individual characters? How about on individual gear templates on the same character? I'm starting to feel like the pig asking for syrup, but might as well shoot for the moon.

I dunno. Probably the people with 37 alts and they made one on each. ;)

This always happens.

Honestly I'm shocked that this is happening. With the build templates release I figured being able to have all characters access legendaries without swapping would be the only way to give them value now, but didn't think you guys would actually do something like that. It's the first time in a long time I've been happily surprised. Thanks for this.