Please let us turn off other player effects [Merged]

10 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Screwing with model limits in raids is a big no-no, lol.

Basic character models in PvE is reasonable request as well as limiting character models to 'not show'.

Sometimes in crowded places i can't even see NPCs i suppose to defend. And it's not like i can have them in target forever.

Even without the problem of too much particles around, game places character models in priority over NPC models. And NPCs stay invisible.

Edited by Aeon.4583
  • Like 4

And while we're on the topic of visual clutter, I would like to be able to replace all character models of other players with Asura. My Sylvari is literally invisible between all the oversized Charr and Norns with their even bigger wings, and because of that it's often impossible to tell whether I stand in AoEs.

And no, making a Norn myself is not a solution. I have one, and his feet are literally bigger than some of the safe zones in fractals, so I can't tell if he's standing in the safe zone either.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Yea i've never been a fan of all the galaxy effects they added. ( i think the legendary trinkets have bubbles and moon effects.)

It'd be cool if there was some setting to turn off excess auras and the trinkets. I have only one legendary weapon and one cape on my characters at any given time.

Edited by vicky.9751
  • Like 4

Of course option to turn off in-game characters' effects would be good - but at first I would like more to have option to disable User Interface flashing and pop-ups. Those are really annoying , but Anet loves it, so sure thing they still didn't do anything about it and most likely they also won't add option for characters' effects.

But for effects, you can lower graphic settings, won't be looking so nice, but there will be less effects.

6 minutes ago, DD39C89C-1C46-4F28-BDB7-49 said:

but at first I would like more to have option to disable User Interface flashing and pop-ups.

BUT DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN CLICK THIS HERE ARROW AND DOORWAY ICON TO EXIT THIS INSTANCE NOW THAT YOU ARE DONE WITH THE STRIKE!? 
Also, reload your bazooka.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

BUT DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN CLICK THIS HERE ARROW AND DOORWAY ICON TO EXIT THIS INSTANCE NOW THAT YOU ARE DONE WITH THE STRIKE!? 
Also, reload your bazooka.

GRATZ ON LV80, GO TO THE NEXT EXPANSION AREA AND START UNLOCKING MASTERIES!

GRATZ ON LV80, GO TO THE NEXT EXPANSION AREA AND START UNLOCKING MASTERIES!

Edited by Wolfb.7025
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Ye, famous, game experience breaking, the masteries' pop-up.

There was Bug thread for it, for years, created on 2017. This year they moved it to global QoL thread, so they officially confirmed that it's not a bug, but a feature which works exactly as they want...

Old links were (non working anymore):

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Whether you like it or not a huge part of GW2 is the social peacocking of achievement auras, weapons and skins etc.

Sure many will go: "You can still see it so why does it matter" are missing basic human social behavior. For many, and I would bet most, the reactions of other players (social aspect) is the huge draw. Like a wearable trophy for all to see.

Now one argument I do sort of side with are OBNOXIOUS effect stacking, however they are too far down the rabbit hole that it would be contradictory to have filters for that but not everything else.

I think the solution was prevention. For example the sac animation is so rare and I am sure most people would love to see it. But the cheap auras you can stack that are an eyesore many would rather not - but I think it's still better to have it all open and free to see and just accept some people are walking discos.

I personally really toned down my lightshow and went more slick and simple.

Edited by Despond.2174
  • Like 3
  • Confused 6

I agree, we need a toggle for some of these eye sore effects. I personally don't get the appeal of cosplaying a Supernova, but I don't think it's unreasonable to request a way to toggle some of these effects. It's bad enough that most Boss fights in the game look like Christmas Tree Light Vomit, but to compound it, we have Saggitarius A Star sitting on top of a White Dwarf Skyscale.

It's getting ridiculous, and I'm also not entirely convinced that some people dress as obnoxiously as possibly, purely to be obnoxious and annoying. I mean, it's the internet.

Edited by Keitaro Dragonheart.9047
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, Despond.2174 said:

For example the sac animation is so rare and I am sure most people would love to see it. But the cheap auras you can stack that are an eyesore many would rather not - but I think it's still better to have it all open and free to see and just accept some people are walking discos.

People who interested in cosmetic auras, skins, etc. can keep their settings to 'show'. Not suppose to be default 'no show' setting for new players who just trying this game for first time.

But people who not interested in cosmetic auras and  over-particled-gemstore skins, ( even fashion of others in general ) will not be interested no matter what. And could use 'no show' settings.

And there are many ways to implement such an options ( ps. options are called options because it is that: Optional ).

For whatever reason 'Dynamic HUD' have been given to those who did ask for it.

Edited by Aeon.4583
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

You can mitigate this by setting Character Model Quality to low. This forces the game to only render a few players in full quality and renders the rest as generic armor skins.

Not really. Only if you have Basic Character Model option checked, characters will be shown in 'basic model' in PvP and WvW ( competitive modes ). But not in PvE. In PvE Lowest Character Quality will turn character models and it's armor into something which resembles Tyrael from Diablo. But cosmetic infusions, backpack, weapons, trinket effects will be shown and not removed. And most of Eyesore comes from that list.

Basic Character Model option for PvP and WvW does disable every cosmetic stuff on someone else's character. But it doesn't work in PvE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Aeon.4583 said:

Not really. Only if you have Basic Character Model option checked, characters will be shown in 'basic model' in PvP and WvW ( competitive modes ). But not in PvE. In PvE Lowest Character Quality will turn character models and it's armor into something which resembles Tyrael from Diablo. But cosmetic infusions, backpack, weapons, trinket effects will be shown and not removed. And most of Eyesore comes from that list.

Basic Character Model option for PvP and WvW does disable every cosmetic stuff on someone else's character. But it doesn't work in PvE.

Not in PvE? It surely worked at Tequatl the lest time I checked.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Not in PvE? It surely worked at Tequatl the lest time I checked.

Lowest Character Model and Basic Character Model two different things.
This is lowest character model:
link

This is basic\standard character model for PvP and WvW:
link red ones.

While i've been doing PvP, i've never seen single infusion effect or trinket bubble or anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I generally don't post a lot here, but I've been playing GW games from the beta days of GW1 so I'll add my voice to this thread because it is a thing, and it's only getting worse as time goes on, even with DX11. ANet has always prided itself on making the GW franchise games accessible to players with less than ultra-elite h/w. The goal of universal accessibility is becoming harder and harder to achieve IMO. Couple that with the increasing number and flamboyance of the shinies, and players wanting to, as someone said earlier, "peacock" strut around showing off how pretty they are. The concept is fine, but what it creates is a visual experience that seems to only be focused on the shinies, not good gameplay. I've had to lower my graphics settings in order to play some of the metas, but even so, many times I just cannot see to be accurate in targeting, or kiting, or evading, or whatever I need to do to survive at any given time. Bottom line, it just isn't fun to do that. ANet, please add a way for us to control the level of other player's visual effects. Please. 

Edited by AnClar.1304
  • Like 3

On 1/27/2022 at 10:59 AM, Despond.2174 said:

Sure many will go: "You can still see it so why does it matter" are missing basic human social behavior.

You meant basic human anti-social behavior. 

With a selection option everyone who wants to see the various effects, who view this aspect of the game in a positive light, would be able to do so.

The social aspect you discribe is actually the opposite. This argument against a selctor option in no way increases the ability of people who are interested to see the various effects. Instead it forces such on those for whom this aspect are detrimental to enjoyment of the game. This is not a social element for those who want others to see their creations, it is an antisocial behavior centered around imposing their will on others to the detriment of those others....hardly a positive social behavior.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

When 100 fractal appeared, on the very first day my friends and I went to do achi and cm. We spent no more than an hour and a half there, but my eyes were very weepy and sore.
The next day we just done our usual cms+t4 and I realized that my eyes hurt again.
Еventually I adapted not to look at those kitten lasers and kitten flashes, but it was especially hard, coz they blinded me from all sides. I have been going to cm fractals every day since 100 was released. As usual. I also went to raids every week by 2 accs (you can check my kpme ofc). After Anet added these disgusting fields from skills, it became uncomfortable for my eyes in raids as well.

Two months ago, I realized that my vision had deteriorated. It really got worse and my ophthalmologist confirmed it.

Of course it's not Anet fault. I needed to play less or stop it at all when I realized that my health was suffering from it.  

So I stopped going to fractals. Then I just almost stopped playing. I only went to raids, Monday fast clear. There are, of course, many factors involved. Disgusting meta, fractals mutilated by it, balance team, which does not understand what they doing. DRM. Stupid forced repetition of history with "cut 100 trees". Why the hell do I need these trees, they cost nothing, and my time is priceless. However, it's arguments for another topic.  

Let's get back to effects. I watched EoD trailer yesterday. And I realized that Anet does not care about us. To our well-being. To our health. Forgive me for being blunt, but only a clinical idiot would make a totally poisonous green environment, with poisonous green classes, with poisonous green effects from skills. And even the hair clips in the NPC's hair are poisonous green.  

I haven't played gw2 almost a month now. I took my money to Square Enix (ff14). And I'm perfectly happy. My eyesight has stopped getting worse and I'm playing mmo again. In safety. With adequate developers, great raids and amazing customization and optional interface and display.

I will never go back to a game that doesn't care about players. With developers who haven't done anything adequate over the past 1.5 years, at least. You can't even fix a bug with a skewed character after knockback. This bug is almost two years old 😄  And now Anet promises even more shiny, lol.

Dear Anet. I wish all of you to live your whole life 24 hours a day, surrounded by poisonous green lasers flashing from all sides, flickering with 10 SHINYYY infusions.

Dixi.  

p.s. Above was a comment about epileptics and their health. It's all useless. They just don't care. 

p.p.s. What a shame, stealing half of classes from ff14 and presenting them as new here. What an endless shame, Anet.

Edited by Mayga.7241
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mayga.7241 said:

When 100 fractal appeared, on the very first day my friends and I went to do achi and cm. We spent no more than an hour and a half there, but my eyes were very weepy and sore.
The next day we just done our usual cms+t4 and I realized that my eyes hurt again.
Еventually I adapted not to look at those kitten lasers and kitten flashes, but it was especially hard, coz they blinded me from all sides. I have been going to cm fractals every day since 100 was released. As usual. I also went to raids every week by 2 accs (you can check my kpme ofc). After Anet added these disgusting fields from skills, it became uncomfortable for my eyes in raids as well.

Two months ago, I realized that my vision had deteriorated. It really got worse and my ophthalmologist confirmed it.

Of course it's not Anet fault. I needed to play less or stop it at all when I realized that my health was suffering from it.  

So I stopped going to fractals. Then I just almost stopped playing. I only went to raids, Monday fast clear. There are, of course, many factors involved. Disgusting meta, fractals mutilated by it, balance team, which does not understand what they doing. DRM. Stupid forced repetition of history with "cut 100 trees". Why the hell do I need these trees, they cost nothing, and my time is priceless. However, it's arguments for another topic.  

Let's get back to effects. I watched EoD trailer yesterday. And I realized that Anet does not care about us. To our well-being. To our health. Forgive me for being blunt, but only a clinical idiot would make a totally poisonous green environment, with poisonous green classes, with poisonous green effects from skills. And even the hair clips in the NPC's hair are poisonous green.  

I haven't played gw2 almost a month now. I took my money to Square Enix (ff14). And I'm perfectly happy. My eyesight has stopped getting worse and I'm playing mmo again. In safety. With adequate developers, great raids and amazing customization and optional interface and display.

I will never go back to a game that doesn't care about players. With developers who haven't done anything adequate over the past 1.5 years, at least. You can't even fix a bug with a skewed character after knockback. This bug is almost two years old 😄  And now Anet promises even more shiny, lol.

Dear Anet. I wish all of you to live your whole life 24 hours a day, surrounded by poisonous green lasers flashing from all sides, flickering with 10 SHINYYY infusions.

Dixi.  

p.s. Above was a comment about epileptics and their health. It's all useless. They just don't care. 

p.p.s. What a shame, stealing half of classes from ff14 and presenting them as new here. What an endless shame, Anet.

I know i'm probaly alone with this, but i think IT IS Anet Fault.

I have never read or heard that players have asked for more effect thunderstorms, quite the opposite. But at one point, Anet suddenly started, that everything has to be a headache for at least one person, otherwise they haven't fulfilled their Shiny-mission ...

Personally, I have no problems with players who only want to run around as wobbling points of light. I usually can not see them anyway, because you can simply reduce the number of players.
But this effect storm with bosses.
I already wrote somewhere that you often can't see the bosses and characters because of all the skill and boss effects.
If that was Anet's goal, gg.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Personally, I have no problems with players who only want to run around as wobbling points of light. I usually can not see them anyway, because you can simply reduce the number of players.

mee too! I did it some years ago. But we can't do anything with bosses and effects.

4 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Done Death-Branded Shatterer lately?

I did it once. Once was enough. I couldn't see straight at the end of it, and that was *with* turning all graphics to low and turning post-processing off. I'm never doing that event again - the headache, nausea, and eyestrain is not worth it. Heck, all of LWS4 so far - I'm about to finish A Star to Guide Us - has been eye-searing with post-processing off and graphics on low. Too many jittering flashes and flares of light and over-saturated colors. It's not just player effects, it's environmental effects that just kill my eyes. And I'm wearing glasses specially meant for computer work!

5 hours ago, Mayga.7241 said:

My friend plays FFXIV, and showed me a preview of the Sage class (think that's what it's called). I was astonished by how similar it is to Virtuoso, and wondered if that was intentional. Guess it was. 😕

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, it is all new expansion patch, and this was ignored.

- No fix to Lowest Character Models ( aside from armor skins and character model itself, everything else shown in full force )

- No new Character Model Limit Options ( limit it to Targeted Character Only would be most perfect. Wanna check fashion? Take a target, need to see your teammates in raid? Change the limit setting, easy. )

- No Standart Character Models for PvE ( yeah.... most easiest and simple solution not implemented ).

Thank you, arena net.

Edited by Aeon.4583
  • Sad 1