... But The Thief Got Away.

Svarty.8019

@Voltekka.2375 said:

As a suggestion, I think Druid for instance is actually in a good place, one that could be used as a model for thief.

Absolutely no. Druid is the worst of ranger specs. Being either useless or hardcarried by a broken mechanic, that requires counterbuilding with little to no way to actually outplay even trash druids without reliable way to get out of the roots, shouldn't be model for anything. I'd rather fight soulbeasts or thieves all day long (even tho both can be quite cancerous in their own ways).

Have you actually played it? I can tell you a decent boon beast is far, far worse than a druid any day. You outplay 'trash' druids by having stab uptime, literally any CC skill, or outranging them, all of which are pretty easy to do. I've played one of the builds that you would hate for many hours and can tell you it's only really effective in group settings (non-zerg).

Complaints about rooting are very similar to the complaints about thieves bursting from stealth, both require counterplay. Druid roots have major counterplay as unless you are +1'ing, almost all classes have ways to instantly break out of the roots or never be rooted to begin with. Roots aren't even druid specific, it's one trait on a 10 second ICD lol. SB can actually do immob better being selfish, can have sustain all day, only lacking in condi removal unless you run runes of cleansing.

Anyway, Thieves on the other hand are built so that counterplay will 'kill the class' (see above responses). That's just bad design all the way around, as you either have an unkillable +1ing machine and 'have to deal with it' or you 'break the entire class beyond repair'.

Outplay druid by bringing stab up time & out range it lol only a few classes have enough stab up time to keep up with druids root access, lastly u say out range it yet druid can out range most classes so.....

Just so you know, stab is useless against immobilize. If you need a further explanation, immob is a CONDITION. Here, hope this helps!

So, you actually need another boon to render IMMOBILISE useless, it is called RESISTANCE

Hope that helped!

Was talking about ancient seeds which is primary way to get into immob being useless if you can't get CC'd in the first place (i.e. stab uptime). But thanks for the articles.

@"VICBEAR.1529" said:What is about Engineer, Warrior, Ranger, Mesmer etc?Many classes can escape from fight but why is thief so big trouble?

Just make topic "Please delete thief class"

From personal experience, most other classes except for some rangers actually commit to escaping. It's more common to see roaming thieves (dash d/p daredevils specifically) to be cocky and just ooc, stack on stealth, then come right back to anyone with their back turned and run away again when they realize they're still in hot water.

@kash.9213 fundamental error there... i don't smallscale at all, but i killed several roamers with bombs of my largescalecharacters. i help people defending camps if i feel like it, and nah, i don't adapt my set for that. drop dmg, dodge incoming dmg... that's doing it mostly.

idk if y o u build for ganking. thieves maybe do kinda stuff, surely.

that has absolutely nothing to do about beeing in Wvw. the pvE people in there build even for nothing at all. some run likely the same sets they used for completing their storymode.

when i run in a big group, i do that bc i expect other big groups around. if u think u'll not get bombed as roamer trying to poke that, that is not ganking. that's punishing cockyness. zergsets are not built for ganking. they are built to be effective, either dmg/heal/strips/cleanse, and to do their job in a big impact.

@Gotejjeken.1267 stab gets burnt away if too much cc comes in (or its duration ends). that's why even minstrel FB can get cc+entagled/dazed etc

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:@kash.9213 fundamental error there... i don't smallscale at all, but i killed several roamers with bombs of my largescalecharacters. i help people defending camps if i feel like it, and nah, i don't adapt my set for that. drop dmg, dodge incoming dmg... that's doing it mostly.

idk if y o u build for ganking. thieves maybe do kinda stuff, surely.

that has absolutely nothing to do about beeing in Wvw. the pvE people in there build even for nothing at all. some run likely the same sets they used for completing their storymode.

when i run in a big group, i do that bc i expect other big groups around. if u think u'll not get bombed as roamer trying to poke that, that is not ganking. that's punishing cockyness. zergsets are not built for ganking. they are built to be effective, either dmg/heal/strips/cleanse, and to do their job in a big impact.

@Gotejjeken.1267 stab gets burnt away if too much cc comes in (or its duration ends). that's why even minstrel FB can get cc+entagled/dazed etc

That's why we get a lot of dumb posts on this forum.

Just got to say I just had a moment where the thief got away. Not even mad. Yeah I outplayed them on my core warrior with Axe/Axe+Rifle, but they weren't the worst thief I've fought, but not the best either. They made the right call to disengage and run. I was a bit mad though that my T3 killshot only did 5.5k but then I wasn't running full glass so /shrug.

Also not mad because I was finishing my monument daily when they interrupted me and I got to finish it when they ran :lol:

In all seriousness all you lose out on is the trivial amount of WXP, track progress on a two achievement tracks, and possible a loot bag. If the thief runs, then you won the fight take the win for what it is folks.

Edit:People do need to accept the fact that without some of these escape tactics most thieves would die very quickly 1v1. They are not built to trade blows on equal footing with some of the other classes. They are meant to shadowstep in and out and use blinds and interrupts to cover themselves.

Like in my fight just now, if the thief had one fewer stealth, or didn't have sleight of hand to interrupt one of my volleys then, they would have taken a dirt nap. That or if warrior rifle didn't do bbgun levels of damage on 4/6 skills...

@cyberzombie.7348 said:

@"VICBEAR.1529" said:What is about Engineer, Warrior, Ranger, Mesmer etc?Many classes can escape from fight but why is thief so big trouble?

From personal experience, most other classes except for some rangers actually commit to escaping. It's more common to see roaming thieves
(dash d/p daredevils specifically)
to be cocky and just ooc, stack on stealth, then come right back to anyone with their back turned and run away again when they realize they're still in hot water.

The part nobody else ****ing understands.

It's not thief. It's D/P Daredevil.

All these people asking for nerfs should go play any other thief build. Anything besides D/P DrD pretty much gets splattered if it botches an engage and deals no damage except for maybe S/P into relatively bad foes who don't know how to punish it or are running bad builds.

Thief has been balanced around D/P Daredevil existing because it's the worst offender of unhealthy designs, and ANet absolutely refuses to rework it because it'd require a huge class rework and I know they're too lazy to do so.

When DE started eclipsing its bad design it actually got nipped in the bud and reworked properly.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

From personal experience, most other classes except for some rangers actually commit to escaping. It's more common to see roaming thieves
to be cocky and just ooc, stack on stealth, then come right back to anyone with their back turned and run away again when they realize they're still in hot water.

All these people asking for nerfs should go play any other thief build. Anything besides D/P DrD pretty much gets splattered if it botches an engage and deals no damage except for maybe S/P into relatively bad foes who don't know how to punish it or are running bad builds.

Thief has been balanced around D/P Daredevil existing because it's the worst offender of unhealthy designs, and ANet absolutely refuses to rework it because it'd require a huge class rework and I know they're too lazy to do so.

When DE started eclipsing its bad design it actually got nipped in the bud and reworked properly.

Dwayna help the poor thieves I've Bull's Charged with no Stunbreaks to recover from it...

But there is a point to be made here. If D/P DD is the big problem then is it the D/P part or is it the DD part? I suspect it is the E-Spec driving the problem not the weapon spec. Not that the weapon spec itself isn't a problem, but is it as much a problem on Core or DE? No, and that is because of the DD dodge being a leap. Remove the leap finisher from the dodge and you may see DD become very balanced very quickly. Not that there are other things that could be done, but I suspect that would go a long ways by itself.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Dwayna help the poor thieves I've Bull's Charged with no Stunbreaks to recover from it...

But there is a point to be made here. If D/P DD is the big problem then is it the D/P part or is it the DD part? I suspect it is the E-Spec driving the problem not the weapon spec. Not that the weapon spec itself isn't a problem, but is it as much a problem on Core or DE? No, and that is because of the DD dodge being a leap. Remove the leap finisher from the dodge and you may see DD become very balanced very quickly. Not that there are other things that could be done, but I suspect that would go a long ways by itself.

It's really both in conjunction, but not for the reason you think. Contrary to the opinions of many, Bounding Dodge is actually rather mediocre and doesn't really contribute at all to D/P Daredevil's relative power. It's substantially more useful for P/P than D/P. And I'd still say Dash is better on P/P; BD is mostly a trap for gimmicky builds and the extra stealth is fairly easy to predict in a lot of cases and if outplayed, can be a huge liability since it'll self-reveal.

Dash fulfills D/P's inherent counterplay more than anything else. D/P uniquely has the ability to access sustained OOC stealth over all other weapon sets on the thief, which is where the class has so much power from its engages. D/P can largely just wait out its opponent before making its first strike, giving it a strong opening burst. In conjunction with Shadow Shot, D/P gets sticking power and soft CC on top of that, which lets it punish enemy disengage attempts and continuously deal follow-up strikes which many other classes cannot out-maneuver. If the thief swaps shortbow to disengage, it cannot gain stealth again for the remainder of the swap cooldown, and if it tries to disengage with just D/P, it runs out of initiative trying to rapidly gain space, or just lets the opponent reset, too. Dash fixes both halves of this, letting thieves disengage into range safely while also not burning excess resources or precious weapon swap timers, giving it full control of spacing in combat.

You can reliably bomb a thief using BD to gain stealth in a smoke field because you can see its starting dodge frames and trajectory, and if it's in melee range, the AoE is large enough where a second dodge will self-reveal. This means you can burn the ground and the thief will lose stealth in 3-4s, also predictable by the build it has based on traits noticeable in the first engage, such as with CiS, cleanses, etc.

Dash provides counters to the innate counters of D/P by giving the class a safe disengage covering lots of ground while being basically immune to soft CC, while utilizing a wholly different resource from the initiative pool D/P depends on for its engages, enabling D/P to leverage control of both the engage AND the disengage safely, with speed which could otherwise only be met via burning resources which would impact its combat potential or ability to reset.

It's a highlight of a number of the weaknesses various other kits on the thief have, and why we can also see P/D gaining popularity with Dash and not Lotus Training, because P/D is functionally the opposite; its damage and utility comes from its power of disengage on Shadow Strike/Repeater, and Dash gives it the ability to control the re-engage rather than having to depend on the opponent coming towards the thief or it burning teleport cooldowns etc.

There's even further nuance to it, but it's not really specifically any one facet of either individually that breaks the thief. Recall D/P Deadeye, too; it provided immense safety and damage for D/P and not D/D because D/P can innately make up for the lack of Steal via Shadow Shot to control engages, and pre-rework deadeye was extremely safe for sustaining controlled stealth-disengages and maintaining stealth OOC with high-damage burst on pre-rework MBS.

Shadow Shot is an overloaded skill, and rightfully should have been nerfed or reworked a long time ago alongside changes/reworks to the entire rest of the thief as a class to make it more potent in-combat or have to commit more to its engages, however it's really the combination of the broad utility D/P has along with its high damage and paired covering of its weaknesses thanks to the elite specs (and D/P's self-sufficiency making it able to mostly ignore tradeoff weaknesses of the elite specs such as waiting out exhaustion via OOC stealth or engage via weapon skills) that lets the thief seemingly always have control over a fight despite being very weak stat-wise.

It's why the class is in such a desperate need for a rework; it's only strong because of very specific combinations and playstyles. As soon as that build and playstyle pattern is deviated from, the class becomes basically unusable in the modern powercreeped game.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I'd say its definitely daredevil. 3 dodges a side, lets just call it 2 like everyone else. It's a 450 range escape-evade that clears movement condis, and the whole line stacks -30% incoming dmg as well as giving weakness on enemy's after a successful evade and has a 15% dmg modifier. Who else wouldn't take daredevil lol

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

I'd say its definitely daredevil. 3 dodges a side, lets just call it 2 like everyone else. It's a 450 range escape-evade that clears movement condis, and the whole line stacks -30% incoming dmg as well as giving weakness on enemy's after a successful evade and has a 15% dmg modifier. Who else wouldn't take daredevil lol

Anet wanted to sell xpacs so they made DD basically mandatory. Same goes for a lot of especs. Let's be honest, how many really run core on the character? If they nerf DD then people will play DE. If they nerfed DE there will be just no thieves. I guess most people with pve specs in greens in WvW will love it but guess what? They they start to die even more to mesmerss/rangers/wars etc. Look at pvp forums: there are multiple threads and posts complaining about revs since main beating target (thief) got for most part removed with sb nerf.

As for this thread:if thief got away this means they are not dumb enough to stay in fight they can't win. If they were your enemy - rejoyce, you just won the fight. Once again people, care what you are asking for. If for some reason Anet would nerf thief escape capability completely they would have to compensate it and result would be some really disgusting type of shiro rev. Good thieves will still murder your average WvW player and you still won't get your bags.

Isn't it enough for you that every thief player get instantly kicked from squads and flamed on top of it for simply existing? By own teammates? Or like yesterday, i just wanted to do some dailies, enemy comes in group and trash talks me because i had to run away since i just can't fight them all at once, especially with constant reveals from the keep. I am biased but i will still defend the point that thief is not the issue here. WvW community should seriously look in mirror - maybe they would finally see what toxic mass they have become.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

And yet the post you quote use engineer, warrior, ranger, mesmer.

Do we have OP core rangers running around peppering people? OP core engineers roflstomping everyone? Etc.

We ****ing know what is referred to.

Wow, wow, wow...Just review patch notes since 2014 to see how thief was nerfed and you will see that it is good time to create topic "Please delete thief class".

But before this, create your own thief to discover how difficult to play it.Isn't that why you play with another classes?

I just leave it here:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marked_(Sentry)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Revealed

@Cynz.9437 said:

Anet wanted to sell xpacs so they made DD basically mandatory. Same goes for a lot of especs. Let's be honest, how many really run core on the character? If they nerf DD then people will play DE. If they nerfed DE there will be just no thieves. I guess most people with pve specs in greens in WvW will love it but guess what? They they start to die even more to mesmerss/rangers/wars etc. Look at pvp forums: there are multiple threads and posts complaining about revs since main beating target (thief) got for most part removed with sb nerf.

As for this thread:if thief got away this means they are not dumb enough to stay in fight they can't win. If they were your enemy - rejoyce, you just won the fight. Once again people, care what you are asking for. If for some reason Anet would nerf thief escape capability completely they would have to compensate it and result would be some really disgusting type of shiro rev. Good thieves will still murder your average WvW player and you still won't get your bags.

Isn't it enough for you that every thief player get instantly kicked from squads and flamed on top of it for simply existing? By own teammates? Or like yesterday, i just wanted to do some dailies, enemy comes in group and trash talks me because i had to run away since i just can't fight them all at once, especially with constant reveals from the keep. I am biased but i will still defend the point that thief is not the issue here. WvW community should seriously look in mirror - maybe they would finally see what toxic mass they have become.

If thief runs and resets, you didnt win any fight.Also, two wrongs (thieves being absurdly mobile and them not being welcome in squads) dont make a right.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

If thief runs and resets, you didnt win any fight.Also, two wrongs (thieves being absurdly mobile and them not being welcome in squads) dont make a right.

Um, yes you did. In meanwhile you can cap something and you get your Cds back. Also, run away and reset is basically all they have for survival. They can't just pop something like IL and facetank damage.

So what makes it right? Remove thieves from the game? Guess what. Even if they did, the next class will be on the line. I mean i could just sit here and ask Anet to remove.. guards for example because they annoying me a lot. Here. WvW/PvP community in nutshell.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

If he runs and resets what's it stopping you from doing a 180° turn and reset your self, like mounting up for example.

@"VICBEAR.1529" said:Wow, wow, wow...Just review patch notes since 2014 to see how thief was nerfed and you will see that it is good time to create topic "Please delete thief class".

But before this, create your own thief to discover how difficult to play it.Isn't that why you play with another classes?

I just leave it here:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marked_(Sentry)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Revealed

Just because it's difficult to play, doesn't mean it should be ridiculously OP if you're good at it.

"Skill" is no excuse for game-breaking.

@Cynz.9437 said:

I'd say its definitely daredevil. 3 dodges a side, lets just call it 2 like everyone else. It's a 450 range escape-evade that clears movement condis, and the whole line stacks -30% incoming dmg as well as giving weakness on enemy's after a successful evade and has a 15% dmg modifier. Who else wouldn't take daredevil lolIf for some reason Anet would nerf thief escape capability completely they would have to compensate it

That's quite an assumption.

@Svarty.8019 said:

@"VICBEAR.1529" said:Wow, wow, wow...Just review patch notes since 2014 to see how thief was nerfed and you will see that it is good time to create topic "Please delete thief class".

I just leave it here:
)

Just because it's difficult to play, doesn't mean it should be ridiculously OP if you're good at it.

Luckily it's not.

"Skill" is no excuse for game-breaking.

Sure. Not much is "game-breaking" here though, so not sure what point you're trying to make.

• Confused 1

@DeceiverX.8361 said:It's why the class is in such a desperate need for a rework; it's only strong because of very specific combinations and playstyles. As soon as that build and playstyle pattern is deviated from, the class becomes basically unusable in the modern powercreeped game.

Sadly, that's why ANet cut the number of dodges on mirage to just one. The potential combinatorial power of dodges with the mirage playstyle was simply overwhelming. They had a choice of either reworking the class, or rendering it obsolete. I won't be surprised if the things you mentioned being too strong in combination become obsolete eventually (or maybe DD thief will get the one dodge treatment lol).

@Hackuuna.4085 said:

@DeceiverX.8361 said:It's why the class is in such a desperate need for a rework; it's only strong because of very specific combinations and playstyles. As soon as that build and playstyle pattern is deviated from, the class becomes basically unusable in the modern powercreeped game.

Sadly, that's why ANet cut the number of dodges on mirage to just one. The potential combinatorial power of dodges with the mirage playstyle was simply overwhelming. They had a choice of either reworking the class, or rendering it obsolete. I won't be surprised if the things you mentioned being too strong in combination become obsolete eventually (or maybe DD thief will get the one dodge treatment lol).

If they don't rework some elements of that general build then I'd rather it just be made obsolete for a minute and dev attention payed to traits, kits, and resource pools a little. There are some thresholds I run into on my non DrD builds in WvW and when I'm feeling the pressure of needing to perform for my team I'm likely to fall back on the powerhouse.

• I find that my builds need to hit either around 17k health on the low end to put the rest into pressure but then I'm likely to switch to d/p or s/d Daredeveil/Dash to keep squads or groups up while also being able to actually fight. While it doesn't feel as crisp as my other builds there are some trait and other choices that can adjust that build template for different tasks which is another thing it has going for it.
  • Or I'll go up to around 20k and let Power suffer a bit for crit chance and also hope I can leech enough to pressure a little. I can float around more but the build has to funnel a little into one gimmick or the other. I can take a hit and I can hit kind of hard but that's if I can keep up or I can budget and stagger to stay ahead of the fight but I might not have the stopping power.
  • I also have to make Utility bar choices on my other builds where those slots are more free with d/p and dash already providing a good deal of that utility.

At this point I just don't use the that dash build anymore because then I'm likely to get stuck in a long ass fight plugging holes but you feel it when you're on other builds and you're missing out on a utility or threshold.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Daredevil is definitely a major facet in making most thief builds viable, but we can see it's not a hard requirement per like what we saw from the pre-nerfed Acro S/D build and the pre-nerf CS core builds, too. Daredevil makes the thief universally stronger and absolutely MUCH easier to play than core and even reworked DE, but doesn't implicitly make the class overbearingly strong. Otherwise it'd have been required in metas past and would be self-sufficient with a number of options otherwise - particularly with Staff. Notice the absence of the staff for years, which was explicitly-designed to function with the spec. A good chunk of it is still D/P, which outside of the PI builds, has avoided most major nerfs and changes for a very long time. You can unequip DrD and still play DE and core remotely successfully in terms of combat power (DrD specifically is abusive in sPvP due to dash movement speed less than any provided combat potency), whereas you really can't unequip D/P and play even remotely at the level needed to out-fight most specs today when played fairly well.

@"DeceiverX.8361" said:

You can unequip DrD and still play DE and core remotely successfully in terms of combat power (DrD specifically is abusive in sPvP due to dash movement speed less than any provided combat potency), whereas you really can't unequip D/P and play even remotely at the level needed to out-fight most specs today when played fairly well.

I have dueled plenty of Core D/Ps and DrD D/Ps and honestly, DrD is straight up busted.It's Dash.

Dash is really busted in the way it acts as a "stunbreak" for movement impairment.It doesn't remove 1 single movement impairment.It removed ALL impairment including Immobilizes.

Being able to do this 3 times in a row, and gaining a damage reduction buff after it ends really increases DrD's survivability onto another level due to them being nearly impossible to lockdown by a single player.Remember back when we had OG Elusive Mind?Playing against Dash DrD these days feel exactly like that due to Dash moving them out of most CC range, and the evade frame dodging anything that isn't them running into a Necro's Fear.

If Dash has to be nerfed in the future, I think they should just remove 1 impairment at a time, prioritizing Immob, then Cripple, then Chill.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"DeceiverX.8361" said:

You can unequip DrD and still play DE and core remotely successfully in terms of combat power (DrD specifically is abusive in sPvP due to dash movement speed less than any provided combat potency), whereas you really can't unequip D/P and play even remotely at the level needed to out-fight most specs today when played fairly well.

I have dueled plenty of Core D/Ps and DrD D/Ps and honestly, DrD is straight up busted.It's Dash.

Dash is really busted in the way it acts as a "stunbreak" for movement impairment.It doesn't remove 1 single movement impairment.It removed ALL impairment including Immobilizes.

Being able to do this 3 times in a row, and gaining a damage reduction buff after it ends really increases DrD's survivability onto another level due to them being nearly impossible to lockdown by a single player.Remember back when we had OG Elusive Mind?Playing against Dash DrD these days feel exactly like that due to Dash moving them out of most CC range, and the evade frame dodging anything that isn't them running into a Necro's Fear.

If Dash has to be nerfed in the future, I think they should just remove 1 impairment at a time, prioritizing Immob, then Cripple, then Chill.

The punishment for removing them isn't really noticed with the current exhaustion, you need to stop gaining endurance altogether (signet of agility/energy sigil)