Can you add PvP aspects in the open world in the new expansion ?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Danikat.8537 said:I remember seeing quotes from the developers that they actually experimented with adding some form of open-world PvP but it's not possible because of the way the game identifies allies and enemies - either you're allied to everyone on the map or an enemy to everyone. PvP maps get around that by assigning you to a team when you enter the map, but there's no way to change it once you're already in one. Maybe someone will be able to find the actual quote?

Are we forgetting guild halls? You're able to pick a team you're part of and change on the fly without a load screen.

I think it would be a fun thing to implement into the game, a change of pace away from the PvE world being balanced around the 1 skill (which it is btw).

@Smoosh.2718 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:I remember seeing quotes from the developers that they actually experimented with adding some form of open-world PvP but it's not possible because of the way the game identifies allies and enemies - either you're allied to everyone on the map or an enemy to everyone. PvP maps get around that by assigning you to a team when you enter the map, but there's no way to change it once you're already in one. Maybe someone will be able to find the actual quote?

Are we forgetting guild halls? You're able to pick a team you're part of and change on the fly without a load screen.

I think it would be a fun thing to implement into the game, a change of pace away from the PvE world being balanced around the 1 skill (which it is btw).

I think it probably works a similar way as changing team in unranked PvP/custom arena autobalance.

It could be fun to have a PvE map with some sort of area or arena you could go to and fight other players (willingly), but I think it would be an awful experience for quite a lot of PvE players to make a whole map PvP. There's too many people that would be toxic about it - teaming up and ganking newbies etc, for it to be an enjoyable experience for most.

It would be fun to have a large scale PvP open world thing though. Like WvW but no objectives, just a large deathmatch.

@OutOfOrder.3719 said:Please implement some elements of PvP into the new maps. You have no idea what you are missing when it comes to siege turtles Luxon vs Kursicks.

Don't think that's gonna happen.

@"Uden Reavstone.3426" said:Luxons and Kurzicks were both destroyed after GW1. Sorce: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Movement_of_the_World#Cantha

@yoni.7015 said:

@Nightcore.5621 said:Look at pvp this game, wvw is empty, pvp full of bots, evey pvp related in this game fails so i vote for no

WvW is not empty. WvW is the place for open world PvP. So there is no need to implement it because it is already there.

I play wvw 3 - 4 haours eveyday and sometimes i only see like 4 People... If Thats not dead...

@Nightcore.5621 said:

@Nightcore.5621 said:Look at pvp this game, wvw is empty, pvp full of bots, evey pvp related in this game fails so i vote for no

WvW is not empty. WvW is the place for open world PvP. So there is no need to implement it because it is already there.

I play wvw 3 - 4 haours eveyday and sometimes i only see like 4 People... If Thats not dead...

If there's no one to fight in WvW, then there will not be anyone to fight in an OWPvP setup either, unless players are really looking to gank OW players. Maybe WvW content isn't as popular as some like to think? /shrug

@Scrambles.2604 said:I'm returning to this game after being absent for 6 years and it baffles me that dueling and open world pvp are still a point of contention.

I'm guess i shouldn't be surprised. Some people simply cannot separate pvp and toxicity. They just think they're the same thing.

This could be a consequence of spvp being it's own game. PvE players are so isolated from the pvp community that they assume everyone is toxic.

There is no need for assumptions when it's true in all games. If you enjoy that then more power to you, but most people don't want to get it forcefully shoved down their throat just so you can have fun at their expense. I'm sure there are games in which you can do that, go there and go nuts.

I couldn't agree to it because WvW already has a low population on NA. Better to spend the time and resources making a new Borderlands map, or bringing EoTM back which is the PvE map everyone so desires (just needs mounts, gliding & rewards).

Make WvW more accessible by making EoTM available to lv10 players and putting portals to it in all major cities.

Honestly anything PvP-related at this point seems hopeless. :/

Rather than add PvP zones, I recommend taking a page out of the late SWG's book on PvP mechanics. While there are PvP zones yes, the majority of the PvP was conducted via and optional flagging system. Basically it was a switch you flicked on or off (with a countdown timer) whenever you wanted to and it would allow you to PvP anywhere in the game world against other people who had flagged up as well. This allowed the PvE players to go on about their business unhindered but the PvP players could potentially find a challenge around any corner from willing participants. Perhaps just add a brief period of invulnerabilty after spawning into a zone (like Pirates of the Burning Sea does) to prevent waypoint ganking and then you'd be golden. Everyone is happy.

The mechanic must be optional for everyone involved. Otherwise, give Archeage a try.

@"Jagblade.4627" said:Rather than add PvP zones, I recommend taking a page out of the late SWG's book on PvP mechanics. While there are PvP zones yes, the majority of the PvP was conducted via and optional flagging system. Basically it was a switch you flicked on or off (with a countdown timer) whenever you wanted to and it would allow you to PvP anywhere in the game world against other people who had flagged up as well. This allowed the PvE players to go on about their business unhindered but the PvP players could potentially find a challenge around any corner from willing participants. Perhaps just add a brief period of invulnerabilty after spawning into a zone (like Pirates of the Burning Sea does) to prevent waypoint ganking and then you'd be golden. Everyone is happy.

Unless people decide to "switch on" and fight each other on top of nodes or other interactable things in the Open World, thus getting in other players' way. It is just simpler to keep this kind of combat in the game mode that is already designed for it.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Jagblade.4627" said:Rather than add PvP zones, I recommend taking a page out of the late SWG's book on PvP mechanics. While there are PvP zones yes, the majority of the PvP was conducted via and optional flagging system. Basically it was a switch you flicked on or off (with a countdown timer) whenever you wanted to and it would allow you to PvP anywhere in the game world against other people who had flagged up as well. This allowed the PvE players to go on about their business unhindered but the PvP players could potentially find a challenge around any corner from willing participants. Perhaps just add a brief period of invulnerabilty after spawning into a zone (like Pirates of the Burning Sea does) to prevent waypoint ganking and then you'd be golden. Everyone is happy.

Unless people decide to "switch on" and fight each other on top of nodes or other interactable things in the Open World, thus getting in other players' way. It is just simpler to keep this kind of combat in the game mode that is already designed for it.

How would this impair other players? We can already interact with nodes even when dozens of people are fighting / stacked on top of them and we can pass straight through other individuals no matter how many there are.. You only need to participate in RIBA or any other meta event to see evidence of this.

No thanks. There's WvW and sPvP for all that. It sounds very much like the OP has done pretty much everything there is to do in GW2 and wants it now to become a new and different game in which they can...duel in public?

I don't want to duel you. I don't want to watch you duel. If there ever gets to be a public duel option, I want there to also be an option put in wherein which putting someone on ignore also means that you no longer see or hear their character in any way.

Because I don't want to see your endless duel showboating in Divinity's Reach. I also don't want to be subject to your endless duel spamming and harassing me by rapidfire waving of bells or jangling of player instruments because I won't accept your duel request. Two decades of playing MMO's has made it abundantly clear to me that public/open world PvP cannot and will never coexist positively with any other form of game mode, and if one tendril of it is allowed in, there will then be nothing but pushing and complaining from the public pvp crowd that things aren't balanced how they like in PvE zones and they aren't getting enough attention (I.E, enough people aren't flagging for pvp) and this all only ends one way - toxicity between people that want to be playing the game as it is and people that want to be playing the all-pvp-all-the-time game they think this one should be.

You cannot and will never put those two demographics into positions of conflict and come out with anything but vitriol and rage between them.

So, here in GW2, all forms of PvP have always been segregated off into their own instances and zones. Everyone that wants to PvP and get an open worldish experience can go roaming in WvW, and I presume everyone that wants that experience does so.

The real complaint I perceive underscoring what the OP is requesting is that they're bored and want to gank people and have a helpless audience on demand because they really want to flaunt in new ways at the people that don't care.

@Scrambles.2604 said:I'm returning to this game after being absent for 6 years and it baffles me that dueling and open world pvp are still a point of contention.

I'm guess i shouldn't be surprised. Some people simply cannot separate pvp and toxicity. They just think they're the same thing.

This could be a consequence of spvp being it's own game. PvE players are so isolated from the pvp community that they assume everyone is toxic.

As a long time gamer I am also baffled this is still a point of contention. PvP and toxicity are inextricably intertwined and probably always will. PvM and PvP should always be in separate areas. It is one of the things GW has always done right. We already have PvP zones, WvW zones, and Guild Halls. What else can they want?

@Jagblade.4627 said:How would this impair other players? We can already interact with nodes even when dozens of people are fighting / stacked on top of them and we can pass straight through other individuals no matter how many there are.. You only need to participate in RIBA or any other meta event to see evidence of this.

Below is what I meant...

@naiasonod.9265 said:No thanks. There's WvW and sPvP for all that. It sounds very much like the OP has done pretty much everything there is to do in GW2 and wants it now to become a new and different game in which they can...duel in public?

I don't want to duel you. I don't want to watch you duel. If there ever gets to be a public duel option, I want there to also be an option put in wherein which putting someone on ignore also means that you no longer see or hear their character in any way.

Because I don't want to see your endless duel showboating in Divinity's Reach. I also don't want to be subject to your endless duel spamming and harassing me by rapidfire waving of bells or jangling of player instruments because I won't accept your duel request. Two decades of playing MMO's has made it abundantly clear to me that public/open world PvP cannot and will never coexist positively with any other form of game mode, and if one tendril of it is allowed in, there will then be nothing but pushing and complaining from the public pvp crowd that things aren't balanced how they like in PvE zones and they aren't getting enough attention (I.E, enough people aren't flagging for pvp) and this all only ends one way - toxicity between people that want to be playing the game as it is and people that want to be playing the all-pvp-all-the-time game they think this one should be.

You cannot and will never put those two demographics into positions of conflict and come out with anything but vitriol and rage between them.

So, here in GW2, all forms of PvP have always been segregated off into their own instances and zones. Everyone that wants to PvP and get an open worldish experience can go roaming in WvW, and I presume everyone that wants that experience does so.

The real complaint I perceive underscoring what the OP is requesting is that they're bored and want to gank people and have a helpless audience on demand because they really want to flaunt in new ways at the people that don't care.

@Tukaram.8256 said:

As a long time gamer I am also baffled this is still a point of contention. PvP and toxicity are inextricably intertwined and probably always will. PvM and PvP should always be in separate areas. It is one of the things GW has always done right. We already have PvP zones, WvW zones, and Guild Halls. What else can they want?

pvp in the open world zones while waiting for things like world bosses etc is what they claim.