PLEASE add night-mode to the forums

Lonecap.4105

4 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Not sure what exactly you googled on.  Just saying that web accessibility standards didn't come out of nowhere.

On any research in regards to dark mode health-related benefits. May be less straining on the eyes. May be better in the dark. May be. May be. Research didn't confirm anything. And looks like this is all @Ayrilana.1396 is saying.

Whether it has any actual benefits or not, I still prefer using dark mode anywhere else and that's enough for swapping between other windows/tabs and this forum to become unpleasant.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

On any research in regards to dark mode health-related benefits. May be less straining on the eyes. May be better in the dark. May be. May be. Research didn't confirm anything. And looks like this is all @Ayrilana.1396 is saying.

Whether it has any actual benefits or not, I still prefer using dark mode anywhere else and that's enough for swapping between other windows/tabs and this forum to become unpleasant.

Ah yea, because Ayrilana was talking about "health benefits" as a catch-all term.  Specifically look for eyestrain influenced by large differences in screen and ambient lighting.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Ah yea, because Ayrilana was talking about "health benefits" as a catch-all term.  Specifically look for eyestrain influenced by large differences in screen and ambient lighting.

I’ll try to be less ambiguous in the future when I try to use catch all phrases as well as make sure make sure my stance is also mentioned if there’s a possibility that  my post could be interpreted to one side or another which I did not intend. 

• Haha 2

On 6/29/2021 at 12:32 PM, Ayrilana.1396 said:

Just to reiterate, I was never against dark mode as I’m generally not against options that can be toggled. Perhaps I should have led with that in my initial post (which I’ll edit to include although it’s probably too late). What I was against were some of the reasons being used that have no proven backing (yet). All of the research that I have read has been inconclusive. .  

I'm sorry my (and others') suffering from light-induced migraines is not proven enough and so inconclusive for you.  You are sounding like -- whether you mean to or not -- that we should just suck up the brightness and stop being such weaklings.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

55 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

I'm sorry my (and others') suffering from light-induced migraines is not proven enough and so inconclusive for you.  You are sounding like -- whether you mean to or not -- that we should just suck up the brightness and stop being such weaklings.

...as if dark mode doesn't emit light. If that's the problem, then adjust your monitor accordingly anyways. (and out of curiousity, how does playing mmorpgs work with light-induced migranes? All the effects and glows are suddenly meaningless there, or how does this work?)

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Some of the responses on this thread are so tone-deaf.  Of course dark mode emits light.  I don't live in total darkness.  It's not an either-or, all-light or all-dark thing.  IT DEPENDS.  I can't predict when too much bright light will cause a headache.  I have my games set at good options for me.  Pity I can't give you exact cd/m^2.  I also get motion sickness and have my games set at the best options for that, and I know when to stop playing.

I can't speak for anyone else and their health issues.  All the Drs. Google on this thread who have no clue what any of this feels like and basically are saying to suffer or get the heck off the internet and out of gaming are amazing, and not in a good way.  It's like talking to a wall.  However, as Forrest Gump said, "That's all I'm gonna say about that."

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

Some of the responses on this thread are so tone-deaf. 

I guess asking questions to get more details somehow means I'm "tone-deaf". Or maybe you're just overly defensive for no good reason, who knows.

Of course dark mode emits light.  I don't live in total darkness.  It's not an either-or, all-light or all-dark thing.  IT DEPENDS.  I can't predict when too much bright light will cause a headache.  I have my games set at good options for me.  Pity I can't give you exact cd/m^2.  I also get motion sickness and have my games set at the best options for that, and I know when to stop playing.

Luckily I wasn't asking you for the exact luminance values, so you don't need to know them. All I did was ask how you can possibly deal with flashiness of mmorpgs like gw2. If you can set your monitor to withstand those sparkles and explasions, you probably also can do that to a lighter, stable website backgrounds. Just changing to warmer tones might be enough I guess?

I can't speak for anyone else and their health issues.  All the Drs. Google on this thread who have no clue what any of this feels like and basically are saying to suffer or get the heck off the internet and out of gaming are amazing, and not in a good way.  It's like talking to a wall.  However, as Forrest Gump said, "That's all I'm gonna say about that."

All I know is that when I sporadically had migranes, it didn't matter if I looked on dark or light background, looking at a monitor was bad either way, so instead... I just didn't look at it at all. 😱 Hence the questions. And I'm not asking you to explain someone else's experience, so lay off your dr googles and "I can't respond for anyone else".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I guess asking questions to get more details somehow means I'm "tone-deaf". Or maybe you're just overly defensive for no good reason, who knows.

Luckily I wasn't asking you for the exact luminance values, so you don't need to know them. All I did was ask how you can possibly deal with flashiness of mmorpgs like gw2. If you can set your monitor to withstand those sparkles and explasions, you probably also can do that to a lighter, stable website backgrounds. Just changing to warmer tones might be enough I guess?

All I know is that when I sporadically had migranes, it didn't matter if I looked on dark or light background, looking at a monitor was bad either way, so instead... I just didn't look at it at all. 😱 Hence the questions. And I'm not asking you to explain someone else's experience, so lay off your dr googles and "I can't respond for anyone else".

Your post was obnoxious/condescending and in your new post you keep up the same. ".as if dark mode doesn't emit light." Oh geez yes. You dont need "luminance values" to realize that a monitor full of pure white background emits a lot more light than a monitor full of  dark background and just light grey text.

And the skill effects ingame are not flashing at you over the whole size of the monitor in pure white, neither are they there ALL THE TIME. And just because YOU didn't encounter what others are complaining about doesn't mean you need to demand proof. If you don't need dark mode that's fine, you don't have to use it. Nobody asked to replace the normal mode with dark mode. Dark mode always is OPTIONAL. So why the hell do you feel the need to fight what others want, just because you don't need it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Ahaha oh man did you guys really have to necro this. Oh well I guess you did cause we still don’t have a nightmode.

Anyway obviously since this post I just used night mode addons for Chrome, but it does kitten up the site theme somewhat so a tailored night mode would be preferred.

I’m also baffled by the migraine contention in this thread. Migraines can be caused by eye strain which can be triggered from reading fine text, and is especially bad when reading black on white text. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Shikigami.4013 said:

Your post was obnoxious/condescending and in your new post you keep up the same. ".as if dark mode doesn't emit light." Oh geez yes. You dont need "luminance values" to realize that a monitor full of pure white background emits a lot more light than a monitor full of  dark background and just light grey text.

Sure, my post was so condescending, but his wasn't, totally not about me questioning whatever you don't want being questioned.

And the skill effects ingame are not flashing at you over the whole size of the monitor in pure white, neither are they there ALL THE TIME. And just because YOU didn't encounter what others are complaining about doesn't mean you need to demand proof.

What "proof" did I "demand"? I  just asked some questions.

If you don't need dark mode that's fine, you don't have to use it. Nobody asked to replace the normal mode with dark mode. Dark mode always is OPTIONAL. So why the hell do you feel the need to fight what others want, just because you don't need it.

AM I fighting what others want? Maybe you should focus more on actually reading what someone wrote instead of getting defensive over questions you don't like.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

This thread is getting derailed by a few forum warriors heroes of tyria... 

pleaseeeeee....

this thread is all about a guy who likes to have dark mode in forums... most of us like dark mode as an option...

afaik, this post shd've been a poll to avoid such debate/ forum warrior nonsense...

I love to have dark mode... 

anet might not be willing to make decisions based on advantages or disadvantages of darkmode.. in that case, it will only lead to debate... all it wants to know is... whether majority likes this feature? will it increase playerbase? thats it...

If anet ppl look at this thread they wont have a clear idea of whether majority of ppl like dark mode or not... they wont have time to go through 10 pages of the thread to understand and make a decision to bring dark mode... so... pls.. make a poll for these kind of requests to keep the thread in focus and avoid forum trolls

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

If anet ppl look at this thread they wont have a clear idea of whether majority of ppl like dark mode or not... they wont have time to go through 10 pages of the thread to understand and make a decision to bring dark mode... so... pls.. make a poll for these kind of requests to keep the thread in focus and avoid forum trolls

That's why there is a QoL suggestion thread conveniently stickied at the top of the forum.  We know that the Devs review that thread so that they don't have to go through 10 pages of threads, etc....

No poll is necessary.  Suggestion should have been put in the correct place and Anet could then decide whether or not to act upon it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

That's why there is a QoL suggestion thread conveniently stickied at the top of the forum.  We know that the Devs review that thread so that they don't have to go through 10 pages of threads, etc....

No poll is necessary.  Suggestion should have been put in the correct place and Anet could then decide whether or not to act upon it.

U might be right... but... isnt qol thread for in-game qol? or is it qol as a whole?

When they launched this new version of the forum Anet said they would look into it but no promises.  So they are aware that people would like this option.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/95778-welcome-to-the-new-forum-merged/?tab=comments#comment-1354047

To answer the question about dark mode/night mode: I am not promising anything because people who are not me have to do a lot of things to make that happen, but it was the first thing I requested. I do not have confirmation that it will happen or a timeline but I can tell you it's being looked into. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

Ahaha oh man did you guys really have to necro this. Oh well I guess you did cause we still don’t have a nightmode.

Anyway obviously since this post I just used night mode addons for Chrome, but it does kitten up the site theme somewhat so a tailored night mode would be preferred.

I’m also baffled by the migraine contention in this thread. Migraines can be caused by eye strain which can be triggered from reading fine text, and is especially bad when reading black on white text. 

Chaba.5410 kindly pointed me to a post where someone made and maintains a stylus theme for this forum, as I came here for the exact same reason, I wanted a theme/script specifically for this site and not some random "press this button to make your browser switch any website into dark mode" that rarely gives real good results everywhere.

His post with the link to the post where you can find that script is here -> Post from some days ago with link to dark mode theme/script

I use it with firefox and it works good for me, now I can read the forum again until ArenaNet does the next "Oh we really want to make the forums better so we change everything around" thing 🙂

• ArenaNet Staff
6 hours ago, JustTrogdor.7892 said:

When they launched this new version of the forum Anet said they would look into it but no promises.  So they are aware that people would like this option.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/95778-welcome-to-the-new-forum-merged/?tab=comments#comment-1354047

As long as we're handing out updates today I may as well pop in here and confirm that a dark mode option for the forums is in the works! I can not commit to a specific date because multiple teams have to work together on this to make it happen, but I can tell you for certain that the work is underway. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7

On 6/29/2021 at 1:21 PM, phokus.8934 said:

You missed the point.  Dark mode was introduced because someone said it uses less energy and causes less eye strain.  So people jumped on that bandwagon but it is not the case.  Blindly following does not make good practice.

i used "nightmode" in the 90s with dark blue editors.

Darkmode is better when you work a lot on the PC. like coding ore something else.

Just checking the forum twice a day isnt much a problem.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

As long as we're handing out updates today I may as well pop in here and confirm that a dark mode option for the forums is in the works! I can not commit to a specific date because multiple teams have to work together on this to make it happen, but I can tell you for certain that the work is underway. 

Glad to see the extra effort in communications about updates/changes.

Dark mode options are always appreciated.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Perisemiotics.4579 said:

If you're using Windows 10 you can activate that Night Light mode, it reduces the intensity of the high-energy emitting bands (blue side of the EM spectrum) coming from your screen - I've found it helps a lot with soothing and accommodating eyesight.

Windows 10 night light puts me to sleep really fast... 😆... Even when I plan to play for another hour, when I turn on night light, can't control falling asleep in the next 15 mins or so... It's like magic..🤣😂

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871