What do you think About the Future of Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 Expectations  

188 members have voted

1. 1. After the Ending of the Saga what do you think the Expansion "End of Dragons" must be?

• It will definitely be the Best Expansion Ever
    • There's a chance for this Expansion to be Great
    • This Expansion Better be Good or I Quit
    • After this Ending i don't really care about the expansion

I play Guild Wars since the very first and the story as been always good and engaging. But Since Guild Wars 2 release it seems the story went to the background it does not seem to be important anymore. So many things that could have been done, and all we get is rushed versions of story. 

I created this poll because i don't know if i will continue playing GW2. It all depends of the expansion coming. But this means that my expectations are too high. So you see my dilema. I have been playing GW with my friends and i have made new friends withing the game. I have been playing this game for almost 20 years and now i thinking on stopping because of the state of the game. 

Let me know if you share my concern for the Game. And enjoy, at least while you can.

• Like 1

I honestly don't care about the expansion anymore. All I followed in the game was the story. I don't care about legendaries, about elite specs, about raids, etc. Yeah Cantha is nice, but after Primordus and Jormag's treatment, can't really say I'm excited for Cantha anymore. Whatever will happen there, will not be related to the franchise's story and lore anymore. They butchered it the moment they decided to kill of Primordus. Yeah seeing how Cantha looks after 250 years is nice, but doesn't matter too much to me under the current circumstances.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Melech.4308 said:

Either you're a time traveller, or you're telling a lie. 😄This game only came out in 2012

He was referring to Guild Wars as a franchise, meaning Guild Wars 1 + 2. The original Guild Wars came out in 2005. He just rounded the number.

Edited by Crono.4197
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly, ever since they stopped supporting the Mac client and announced that they were no longer going to develop for the Mac in the foreseeable future, I didn't play anymore. I'm already too invested in the Apple ecosystem and it's sad to see that there will be no Mac client in the future. Here's hoping that they will reconsider upon or before the release of EoD

we will never know until EoD releases.

there is a chance they'll come out with a great expansion and there's a chance it'll be disappointing... icebrood saga had a really good start and really looked promising back when it was just the prologue and episode 1 so there's that. hopefully the expansion would deliver.

13 minutes ago, Astyrah.4015 said:

we will never know until EoD releases.

there is a chance they'll come out with a great expansion and there's a chance it'll be disappointing... icebrood saga had a really good start and really looked promising back when it was just the prologue and episode 1 so there's that. hopefully the expansion would deliver.

The point is discussing our opinions. All i am saying is that after what they did with Jormag and Primordus will you expectation be positive or are you already thinking that EoD will be just another expansion without anything to offer. 

Anet probably will give the Tengo as race to feed us for a bit, but that wont last. If you compare what they offered on Guild wars 1 and what they have been giving us with Guild Wars 2 releases it is alot less. 

GW1 gave us new weapons, classes, maps, story lines, etc.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Akethon.5108 said:

The point is discussing our opinions. All i am saying is that after what they did with Jormag and Primordus will you expectation be positive or are you already thinking that EoD will be just another expansion without anything to offer. 

Anet probably will give the Tengo as race to feed us for a bit, but that wont last. If you compare what they offered on Guild wars 1 and what they have been giving us with Guild Wars 2 releases it is alot less. 

GW1 gave us new weapons, classes, maps, story lines, etc.

yup!

i did say that there's a chance it'll be a good one because as i mentioned on my post: icebrood saga started off good but fell flat (and honestly one of their lowest) after they moved everyone to work on the expansion -- so if all the work, creativity and effort that could've gone to icebrood saga were instead utilised for the expansion's development then it could come out great (since arenanet did give us good seasons, like season 4 -- it goes to show they are capable of putting out good content)

i am generally trying to be optimistic 🙂

and also about gw1 and gw2, im no game dev but while both were made by arenanet (although with different teams) creating an expansion for a full blown mmorpg (gw2) and creating one for a co-op RPG (gw1) is very much different: from general development to game systems&mechanics to testing&balance and much more. the scope of what needs to be developed and properly implemented for gw2 is much greater than that of gw1.

Edited by Astyrah.4015
  • Like 3

I played the story, well, as much as I could bare.  It was awful, it was painful. Basically a whole load of old hog-wash wrapped around to many awfully dire boss fights.

So I don't care if the whole planets explodes and the dragons get a piece each to sit on.  I just want a good mmo that's interesting and immersive minus these terrible attempts at a story.

Of course I won't get that.  It will be something like a army of roller-skating robot aliens with mush-ya-brain particle accelerator rifles that can dismount and kill you from the other side of the world.  Throw in a mass of eye melting flashing lights and Bob's your uncle.

I fear that the new expansion will be the death of GW2.

Edited by Joote.4081
  • Like 3

While I'm hoping the expansion will be great, and I think there's a chance it could be, the story writing of the the Icebrood Saga has not filled me with confidence.  If that's anything to go by, the expansion may well be a rushed story with little cohesion, a story line that does not make a lot of sense and somehow filled will Dragon Response Missions because that's what the dev's seem to think we all like.

Really hope I'm wrong though, there's so much potential with new storylines/content in Cantha.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

It think the expansion will probably be fine. I will definitely buy it.

But I'm interested in the long term future plans for Guild Wars 2 and/or this franchise.

I will be holding off for a few days and wait for news on EOD.  If it goes down the same route as POF I think I will give it a miss.  Hopefully it's a return to the true spirit of GW and then it will be a buy for sure.

2 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

It think the expansion will probably be fine. I will definitely buy it.

But I'm interested in the long term future plans for Guild Wars 2 and/or this franchise.

I don't think there are long term plans for Guild Wars 2. To me it seems the plan with EoD is to get as much players paying for the expansion and then stop with development. And hope players continue to buy gems for as long as possible.

If am not so sure about long term plans for the franchise. I hope there will be another game in the franchise and that it will be a new MMORPG. But that seems really unlikely.

But I could be completely wrong. Guild Wars 2 should have died after Season 4 and at that moment a new game should have been announced by ArenaNet. But NCSoft interfered and kicked out a lot of developers, stopped all projects, and forced ArenaNet to continue with the development of Guild Wars 2. But ArenaNet did not have a plan to continue Guild Wars 2 and the results are currently seen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I kinda scared about the integrity of any story moving forward lookimg at how easily they butchered ibs finale to just be done with 2 more Eds. Not sure if i want to get invested in another multiyear arc only for anet to grow bored and throw that too under the bus.

• Like 4

What really gets me is that, they were willing (or maybe unwilling) to sacrifice the integrity of key focal story points just so they can get us hyped up for the next big thing. Sadly, is that they didn't even do that, as we need to wait for another couple months to see anything, and if their other presentations from the past are anything to go buy, they'll sell you a setting and toss some features into the mix to generate "hype" and then its just going to end up not living up to what they're trying to sell us on.

There cannot be a single person working there that looked at these last 4 episodes and thought, this is quality content and narrative that will push everything forward into the next expac that's up to our standards. What's worse is that there was no smooth transition that flows into the next thing, like in the past with a cinematic or anything. It's going to boil down to:

1. Someone phone calls the commander(probably Tiami and Gorrick) 

2. tells them to meet at location to explain that they have something exciting to share.

3. someone from Cantha(Majory might be there as well) will be there to say something has happened beyond their capability and needs help from the people who has stopped elder dragons on this continent.

4. hop on a blimp or ship and sail to Cantha.

5. something happens and you end up shipwrecked along the main land with no way to return (yet) 

To me, that's going to be a bit jarring, because by the end of this saga, everything felt like one big shrug and "looks like job is done I guess" and then nothing leading up to anything.

Maybe the next expac will be really good, but at this point in the games life, i'm not expecting anything.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Need another option:

I do not have high expectations nor am I considering quitting if they are not met.

Yeah, I have yet to hit that wall were I start to lose interest.  The bad parts of the game are good and the good are excellent.  The really bad parts are still easy to stay clear of, but over all it's still one brilliant MMO.  

I hope what some people are saying is not true, and that is  A-Net have given up on it.  If that happens then it's down hill from here.

8 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Seems rather ridiculous to judge future content based on one episode of LS ... but of course if you are looking for a reason to complain, even a bad one will do. 

NO, because it is a different team than what gave us the better content in the past!!! The latest episode was done by the new/reduced team and is an example of what they are capable of (or not) OR they are being told exactly what to do and have no choice. Either way it doesn't bold well for the game

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blude.6812 said:

NO, because it is a different team than what gave us the better content in the past!!! The latest episode was done by the new/reduced team and is an example of what they are capable of (or not) OR they are being told exactly what to do and have no choice. Either way it doesn't bold well for the game

That doesn't make sense. The content released for one thing has no indication of the quality of something else. We have BOTH good and bad content in the past. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

*This Expansion Better be Good or I Quit

I want the best of BOTH expansions from the past (at the very least legendary meta's that we all remember still today, like in HOT, AND a new feature that was legendary and super well implemented, like mounts in POF).

Soo, the expansion needs to have something new really kitten (and no, new elite specs is not enough, I mean something really out of the park) and also good maps, with kitten metas on them or otherwise I am out.

Especially after this fail of a balance patch that is coming soon, where either you go firebrand or you are weakening yourselve...

Edited by Condutas.3580