What do you think About the Future of Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 Expectations  

188 members have voted

1. 1. After the Ending of the Saga what do you think the Expansion "End of Dragons" must be?

• It will definitely be the Best Expansion Ever
    • There's a chance for this Expansion to be Great
    • This Expansion Better be Good or I Quit
    • After this Ending i don't really care about the expansion

After how the """Saga""" ended, I hope that al the missing resources went directly to the expansion. Realistically I think I can expect from the new expansion and maybe a following LS season to keep the game somewhat afloat for maybe another three to five years before ANet releases something new.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WindBlade.8749 said:

it's apple fault not aenet fault, by the way it's not gw2 only that drop support for mac.

I don't see how it's Apple's fault; sure, Apple dropped support for OpenGL in 2018 but 2 years after that, Anet was still supporting the Mac client. I'm really leaning towards more of the reason that there's not much Apple users who play GW2 so Anet decided to just focus their work on Windows users.

On 5/1/2021 at 11:05 AM, Akethon.5108 said:

I play Guild Wars since the very first and the story has been always good and engaging.

Guild Wars 1? - I agree. | Guild Wars 2, however? - Oh please.

The core campaign, while based on a compelling story idea, suffers from its lousy technical execution: the low level of difficulty during story missions ("Booooring!"), the clunky AI (!), the minimalistic design of story missions ("huge battles" sporting only a handful of NPCs), the lack of "scary things" in Orr (yeah, sure, karate zombies really creep me out 😆 ). When I first beat the Zhaitan instance and entered that ridiculous excuse of a celebration, while that cheesy, highly compressed MP3 song was playing, I felt like, "That's it? Are you serious!? Battles in Neverwinter Nights 1 felt more epic than this, and that game was released in 2002."

Season 3 had the annoyance of Taimi's constant techno-babbling via comms, the demystification of dragons by squeezing them into a scientific template, the really, really bad Balthazar storyline, the even worse implementation of Lazarus, the even worse appearance and odd portrayal of Livia, the unworthy and hysterically funny Shining Blade initiation ritual (IMO still the worst mission in the whole game; I will never be able to take Countess Anise seriously again), the part about Caudecus going mad from delusions of grandeur (which was the only interesting and well executed aspect of the whole season), and an overall story arc that unsuccessfully tried to put all those ill-matched pieces together. (Some of the maps, on the other hand, were well designed and overall a lot of fun to play - I give Season 3 that.)

Still, none of that was nearly as bad as the IBS release (especially the Champions episode) in regards of content variety, character writing, story execution, and achievement grinds.

P.S. I've selected option 2, by the way.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1

Let's forget about the story for a minute.  As your base-line MMO, it wins big time on many of the aspects of a good MMO.  It has it's problems yes, but as a avid player of MMO,s there is nothing out there that comes close.  

The up and coming MMO's seem to be struggling to release anything playable.  You have New world which seems to have been in a food blender for years.  Ashes seems to be struggling to make their ideas a reality.  It will probably be years before either of these become a stable MMO, if they ever do.

I think GW2 has a lot of life in it yet.  Vet's might not think so as they have been here from the start, but for people like me that only played a year or two and have returned, the game is vast and complex and more addictive than hard drugs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

the problem is the pattern keep repeating, some ppl said the HoT was "rushed" for why? for develop LS3? side projects?

Well hot was rushed because they decided to late to do expacs. It was not rushed for what came after.

when everyone expected expansion after LS4, they come with IBS.

Yes, which in retrospect might have been a mistake, but this is not the same as a rushed decision necessarily 

Anet just need stop give impression thats always "rushing" things to develop something else.

Pof and ls4 didn't give that impression though.

The future looks bright imho.

There's one single reason i say this - Legendary Armory.
Because this is not simply a feature, it is a direction.

A-net wants more have better access to build swapping. Reforging ascended in forge opposed to making new sets, legendaries having free on demand stat swaps and now armory around the corner, not to mention build templates..    seriously. don't mention them. they're atrociously bad. Like meme levels bad.

By doing this not only does a-net unlock potential for more fun, but clearly points the direction they're going for - more build variety and diversity for classes which keeps things fresh and engaging. Getting more options while not killing off old ones, is a way to make the game bloom.

Edited by ZeftheWicked.3076
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Melech.4308 said:

I don't see how it's Apple's fault; sure, Apple dropped support for OpenGL in 2018 but 2 years after that, Anet was still supporting the Mac client. I'm really leaning towards more of the reason that there's not much Apple users who play GW2 so Anet decided to just focus their work on Windows users.

it's because opengl have a "live support option" that don't exist anymore combined with the fact that the new M1 architecture mean that all the programs that aenet created need to implements a support for a new architecture, which is kinda complexe to do but that not it, if they do that they also need to wait that all the tool they use to build the game (which is a lot for a game of this size also update their support for mac, also theses tool need to wait the update of all the tools they themself use), there is a reason every programmer call kitten of a new type of architecture, we only had x86 for a reason, in the dev world you don't want concurence on some part of your computer because it's will mean too much work to make things compatible and will not give a lot (for exemple there is not a lot to gain to not make a universal architecture for processor like x86 was).

TD:DR still apple fault for trying to create a new architecture which is compatible with none of all the existing program/tool that was ever created (mostly since there is some niche things for robot, ships airplane but that some really specific stuff).

Edited by WindBlade.8749
  • Like 1

They already butchered the canthan story because they were too woke and didn't want to do it. It was said at the start they 'had no plans' to go there and took the area out of DR. Maybe they will finally give it it's rightful home.

You have to be honest, the bar is pretty low at present, it would have to very very bad not to be better. 

For infos 

I, for one are very happy they back tracked as i loved cantha. It's a shame most of it will probably be in the sea and it will look quite different. But we are going there that's the main thing.

Having said that i think they are bored, there is no passion any more.

Edited by Dami.5046
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Guild Wars 1? - I agree. | Guild Wars 2, however? - Oh please.

The core campaign, while based on a compelling story idea, suffers from its lousy technical execution: the low level of difficulty during story missions ("Booooring!"), the clunky AI (!), the minimalistic design of story missions ("huge battles" sporting only a handful of NPCs), the lack of "scary things" in Orr (yeah, sure, karate zombies really creep me out 😆 ). When I first beat the Zhaitan instance and entered that ridiculous excuse of a celebration, while that cheesy, highly compressed MP3 song was playing, I felt like, "That's it? Are you serious!? Battles in Neverwinter Nights 1 felt more epic than this, and that game was released in 2002."

Season 3 had the annoyance of Taimi's constant techno-babbling via comms, the demystification of dragons by squeezing them into a scientific template, the really, really bad Balthazar storyline, the even worse implementation of Lazarus, the even worse appearance and odd portrayal of Livia, the unworthy and hysterically funny Shining Blade initiation ritual (IMO still the worst mission in the whole game; I will never be able to take Countess Anise seriously again), the part about Caudecus going mad from delusions of grandeur (which was the only interesting and well executed aspect of the whole season), and an overall story arc that unsuccessfully tried to put all those ill-matched pieces together. (Some of the maps, on the other hand, were well designed and overall a lot of fun to play - I give Season 3 that.)

Still, none of that was nearly as bad as the IBS release (especially the Champions episode) in regards of content variety, character writing, story execution, and achievement grinds.

P.S. I've selected option 2, by the way.

I agree with you on S3 for the most part, maps and gameplay were overall good but the story not really... I'd add that Bloodstone Fen was awesome, especially those missing pieces of journals through the map, from the 3 characters - while they're not story per se the writing was heavily and unabashedly dramatic, unlike most of GW2 dialog lines. Makes me wish the White Mantle could make a comeback in some way along with the Mursaat. The aura of occultism and fanaticism they had felt a lot more "scary" than one or two elder dragons (however big they can be). Though I must say the Kralk story and map were very special, too.

Champions is just filler content, I can't see it any better than that. The beginning of the saga though was very good, some original concepts like the Metal Legion and the Fallen Kodan - and that's the shame of the demise of the saga, surely there were more developments for the Kodan but we'll likely never know.

And about Taimi, you're so right... it continues on and on through PoF, S4 up to the Metrica DRM - her exchange with Braham in there is very, very hard to withstand.. I usually remove my headphones when playing that instance. I get the writers/devs wanted a specific subplot with her but it's way overdue now, please let it end.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Perisemiotics.4579 said:

I agree with you on S3 for the most part, maps and gameplay were overall good but the story not really... I'd add that Bloodstone Fen was awesome, especially those missing pieces of journals through the map, from the 3 characters - while they're not story per se the writing was heavily and unabashedly dramatic, unlike most of GW2 dialog lines. Makes me wish the White Mantle could make a comeback in some way along with the Mursaat. The aura of occultism and fanaticism they had felt a lot more "scary" than one or two elder dragons (however big they can be).

I absolutely agree on all of those things. 👍

Though I must say the Kralk story and map were very special, too.

That was Season 4, which I very much liked. A lot. 🙂

Champions is just filler content, I can't see it any better than that. The beginning of the saga though was very good, some original concepts like the Metal Legion and the Fallen Kodan - and that's the shame of the demise of the saga, surely there were more developments for the Kodan but we'll likely never know.

And about Taimi, you're so right... it continues on and on through PoF, S4 up to the Metrica DRM - her exchange with Braham in there is very, very hard to withstand.. I usually remove my headphones when playing that instance. I get the writers/devs wanted a specific subplot with her but it's way overdue now, please let it end.

Another 👍 on both those paragraphs.

Yes, the Icebrood Saga started out very promising. There were a few things I vocally criticized at the time (like the low level of difficulty in story missions), but they seem so minor now compared to what happened with the Saga after Bjora Marches... 😕

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

The future looks bright imho.

There's one single reason i say this - Legendary Armory.
Because this is not simply a feature, it is a direction.

A-net wants more have better access to build swapping. Reforging ascended in forge opposed to making new sets, legendaries having free on demand stat swaps and now armory around the corner, not to mention build templates..    seriously. don't mention them. they're atrociously bad. Like meme levels bad.

By doing this not only does a-net unlock potential for more fun, but clearly points the direction they're going for - more build variety and diversity for classes which keeps things fresh and engaging. Getting more options while not killing off old ones, is a way to make the game bloom.

That's an interesting poing and I so hope you're right but we'll have to wait and see what the new (if any) systems for legendaries are and how the economy reacts for the previous tiers as well but yeah... given the amount of stat combinations there are, the game doesn't do nearly enough yet to make them enjoyable when not usable at all - and no, build loadouts don't do anything past leaving a bad taste.

If EoD doesn't blow it out of the water, then I'll drastically shift to playing super casually and stop spending money on it outright. Other than mandatory expansion purchases.

I'll just tell everyone to steer clear from the game since it will be impossible to enjoy it fully without spending a great deal of money. If it is in such a state, it really doesn't deserve it.

IBS was serviceable, but those crafting collections being many times more expensive than legendaries, on top of Champions being trash, is the embodiment of disappointing. DRM like content are only fine if we are getting them in between LW chapters without interrupting the 2-3 month cadence.

Edited by Eloc Freidon.5692

Speaking as an individual that is very much graphics oriented, I can tell you that the quality of this game in terms of graphics, appears to far exceed quite a few other games that are recent to the scene. Have you looked at the quality of the graphics in games such as Valheim? They are abysmal. I think GW2 still has legs.

• Like 1

I am personally very much hyped for the upcoming expansion. Both HoT and PoF were great in my opinion, and I can't wait to see what Cantha will bring. The Devs know this is one of the most anticipated things for many players, so I am confident that they will deliver a great expansion. 🙂

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Uruk.3215 said:

I am personally very much hyped for the upcoming expansion. Both HoT and PoF were great in my opinion, and I can't wait to see what Cantha will bring. The Devs know this is one of the most anticipated things for many players, so I am confident that they will deliver a great expansion. 🙂

I am also counting on that. I just hope that by having high expectations, if it doesn't deliver for some reason, I might just go back to the game once or twice a year just to check stuff, instead of playing every day. 

Since they have made some bad decisions in the past and they lost alot of players. If they, by any chance screw this up with EoD, it might be the end of the franchise. I feel like this expansion is the 'Do or Die' for Anet. I just truly hope that they do it. 

• Like 3

I didn't vote because your options don't really describe what I think.

They are mere speculations.

I don't do predictions if I don't have anything to work with.

A teaser, a hint, something...

We don't know which way the game is going to go.

To be honest, I don't really care.

I love this game in any event.

The thing I enjoy more is making new characters.

I love the open world aspect of it and be able to go around with mounts.

Making new builds and weapon combinations.

Even if GW2 had a worse story than it has now, I still would love it just as much.

I used to care more at first, but since the PoF time when I didn't get my Paragon and Dervish, and Balthazar was classed as an enemy while Joko managed to survive that long....

Man; ... (sigh) ... I don't care.