PvP is the one true content that never gets old because every fight is unique. Focus development on PvP and the game will prosper. The combat in this game is absolutely brilliant.

miifi.2150

PvP is the one true content that never gets old because every fight is unique. Focus development on PvP and the game will prosper. The combat in this game is absolutely brilliant.

1v1 PvP is the most important, because at the end of the day every human has his own solo consciousness.

And whoever is against PvP is probably a casual player who barely plays the game. However casual players aren't the ones who keep the game alive and breathing; and you casual players who are against PvP should really think deeper if you truly love this game and wish long term health for it.

I truly hope ArenaNet really thinks this one through because the combat is absolutely brilliant in this game, and I'm personally done playing for now because there is no good PvP system.

Best of luck and may intelligence prevail.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I agree that this game has some insane growth potential if they improved PvP more.
I completely disagree that casual players "barely play the game". With the difficulty this game currently has (or rather lack thereof), casual players probably make up the majority of players.
I'm not saying I like it, I'm saying that's the way it is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anet should have kept pvp as the main focus in their class design. Its easy to change numbers and coefficients so every class has viable roles in pve. However when skills are blatantly power crept and stacked with 5-10 effects&aoe you cant just tweak numbers to make them fit in a competitive game. As much as i want pvp to get more attention, the damage has been done and it will always be a niche gamemode.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malitias.8453 said:

I agree that this game has some insane growth potential if they improved PvP more.
I completely disagree that casual players "barely play the game". With the difficulty this game currently has (or rather lack thereof), casual players probably make up the majority of players.
I'm not saying I like it, I'm saying that's the way it is.

It was just an assumption I made, because I seen a bunch of people commenting against PvP; because I don't see how anyone in their right mind would be against PvP, unless they straight up don't care because they barely play the game anyway, and are just randomly commenting for the hell of it.

• Confused 1

agree the combat is this game's "killer app", but as a PVP-enthusiast, i have to say GW2 PVP is terrible. I hate it.

things i hate:
* downed state. 8 years on i still hate it, it's some kind of annoying mini-game with an entirely diff set of skills/rules to the real game. just get rid of it completely and rebalance everyone's HP.

* standing in circles to win sucks.

* that gear/runes are completely different to the rest of the game. 

* the game/map design is janky and not engaging. it's not interesting to watch either.

I think WVW roaming is infinitely more satisfying as a PVP game. GVGs also pretty good. I think Anet should stop wasting resources on sPVP and focus on the WVW/GVG format.

Edited by scerevisiae.1972
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Samnang.1879 said:

I played like 600+ games in one season. It gets boring. 

You cannot keep playing it forever like PvE content. 

Oh I'm not talking about the 5v5 PvP arena. It's pretty poorly designed imo and brings mainly frustration because of random teammates.

I am advising to focus more on the development of PvP in general and especially 1v1 PvP.

1v1 PvP is true PvP, everything else stems from 1v1.

Edited by miifi.2150
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

It's criminal that this game has so little in the ways of pvp with such an amazing combat system. WvW is a great concept, but it really really needs improvement. 

EotM and Obsidian sanctum both have an arena clearly made for fights, but since you are hard-bound to one of three teams it makes fighting a friend on the same server a chore especially now that you can't really have an accurate fight since pvp/wvw/pve have separate skill stats. An FFA area / mode would be nice. Or, you know, implementing dueling.

Open world pvp (a server dedicated to it) would be a godsend to me and would change the whole dynamics of the game. Or better yet, become pk flaggable like mmos of old. Sitting around as a non-pk player and watching two player-killers in open world suddenly get in a fight was always entertaining.

I believe the only way to solve zerging / blobs would be to implement player collision so things like choke points would actually be choke points. And no, a player doesn't have to be a immoveable object. There are many effective ways this could be implemented, for example; being able to slowly push people around.

There are hundreds of thousands of PvE players, thousands of WvW players and maybe a hundred players playing PvP total, so I doubt its the lifeblood of the game.

Games that focus on PvP tend to need to do so entirely to be successful. On the other hand in MMOs its been the standard for several decades that the majority of the game is PvE and the true endgame is RvR, or what's called WvW here, because it avoids many of the stresses typically associated with PvP that players can't handle due to anxiety and other challenges.

For example alot of us have school, work, are disabled, etc. and real life in general doesn't play into being an hardcore PvP'er. But we can do well in skirmishes.

Another thing is, the majority of people aren't violent and don't want to hurt others even in a video game, and the main attraction of RvR in comparison is being able to play hybrid roles where you can command, scout, support, etc. instead of just 1v1'ing.

If there's anything the devs should focus on its WvW, I think. Its the single game mode that can pull in any kind of player and keep them there.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, miifi.2150 said:

It was just an assumption I made, because I seen a bunch of people commenting against PvP; because I don't see how anyone in their right mind would be against PvP, unless they straight up don't care because they barely play the game anyway, and are just randomly commenting for the hell of it.

So it is "if anyone doesn't like the things i like, they must be crazy" mindset? Fun fact: the world does not work that way.

It so turns out that most MMORPG players are either completely unintersted in, or actively allergic to competitive content. And, as many developers found out to their dismay, they often react very poorly to attempts to force them into such content.

There's a reason why the PvP and PvE modes in newer games are strictly separated, and even many of older games that once were known for having some forms of PvP even in PvE environment are now running at least some PvE servers where that feature is either strongly toned down or flat out disabled.

So, just as you don't understand players that might be against PvP, there are many, many players out there that don't understand how you can even think that PvP is a good idea.

The reason why PvP is so undeveloped in GW2 is simply because from the very beginning it wasn't as popular as Anet hoped it would be. Putting lot of effort into it in the beginning, to the detriment of PvE, did not make the game prosper. It only made the players annoyed that classes like ranger and necro (that were at the very bottom of the barrel in PvE at that time) were still constantly nerfed, only because they happened to be good in PvP (well, necro was. Ranger nerfing at that time was not really justified by its performance, but more due to the people complaining about "petting zoo" playstyle, that was confusing weaker players).

• Like 4

I have played GW2 for over 15k hours, I am not a casual player and I have no interest in PvP.

Also, repeating things, perfecting the performance and making sure that everything goes as I expected, is what I like the most about the combat and it is what makes content “never get old” to me.

6 hours ago, miifi.2150 said:

I enjoy fighting other players and I love the idea of better support for PvP (without taking in any other considerations), but the PvP game mode is my least played outside of raids for several reasons. 

First and foremost, the population is too small resulting in awful matchmaking.  I can stomach a few blowout wins and losses, but with the top 250 spanning 4+ rating tiers there is no chance of a good competitive scene at the high end.  You end up with probably less than half of your games being competitive and you see the same people match after match if you are just queueing over and over.

Also, contrary to the opinion that it never gets old, Conquest is really stale.  I miss the various PvP games from WoW and I wish we had more to play here so I wasn't just queueing for the same game endlessly.

Naturally, class balance is an issue as well, but who doesn't have a gripe about that, right?

More support for PvP could resolve these issues, but I'm not sure that's the way to go.  Would adding new PvP game modes and making a better effort toward class balance really bring back enough players to make matchmaking feel right?  I am skeptical.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Samnang.1879 said:

I played like 600+ games in one season. It gets boring. 

You cannot keep playing it forever like PvE content. 

Are you specifically referring to PvP? Or do you mean PvP as in both competitive modes, PvP and WvW?

Cause i kinda have the opposite experience. I can get bored with PvE, but WvW is always fun!

Can't comment o PvP specifically cause i don't play it though, but WvW i mroe fun to me than PvE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Are you specifically referring to PvP? Or do you mean PvP as in both competitive modes, PvP and WvW?

Cause i kinda have the opposite experience. I can get bored with PvE, but WvW is always fun!

Can't comment o PvP specifically cause i don't play it though, but WvW i mroe fun to me than PvE.

I used to play WvW only before there were any expansions, but now I don't wvw anymore since there are more things to do in PVE.

WvW has become stale, repetitive and most importantly DEAD at the hours I play (OCX times). If it wasn't DEAD all the time, I would still play WvW mode. Or if they made "Alliance" already, since that would ensure 24/7 population.

The 600+ games is referring to PVP mode.

Edited by Samnang.1879
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Samnang.1879 said:

I used to play WvW only before there were any expansions, but now I don't wvw anymore since there are more things to do in PVE.

WvW has become stale, repetitive and most importantly DEAD at the hours I play (OCX times). If it wasn't DEAD all the time, I would still play WvW mode. Or if they made "Alliance" already, since that would ensure 24/7 population.

The 600+ games is referring to PVP mode.

I see! Yeah, WvW enjoyement tends to be extremely dependant on what server you're on and if their active hours coincide with yours. I'm fortunate that they do, and the server i'm on is mostly populated a lot of the time, so i can even jump in randomly and find a group or just roam or whatever.

• Thanks 1

For me the biggest problem with PvP is that I totally disagree that it never gets old. Running round and round a tiny arena killing the same few people over and over, then queuing up to do exactly the same thing all over again gets old extremely quickly.

WvW is ok, at least there's a bigger area and a wider variety of objectives but it still doesn't hold my attention for as long as the stories and varied environments and activities in PvE do. My personal preference is a mix of both, WvW at busy times if I can find a group that's not just farming another group of players in the middle of no where, and PvE at other times when I can focus on my long-term goals and play with whoever happens to be around.

If there were more game modes then some of them might be interesting occasionally (something like Fort Aspenwood from GW1 would be good, I used to enjoy that) but I can't see little structured matches ever being something I want to spend the majority of my time on.

7 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

There are hundreds of thousands of PvE players, thousands of WvW players and maybe a hundred players playing PvP total, so I doubt its the lifeblood of the game.

Games that focus on PvP tend to need to do so entirely to be successful. On the other hand in MMOs its been the standard for several decades that the majority of the game is PvE and the true endgame is RvR, or what's called WvW here, because it avoids many of the stresses typically associated with PvP that players can't handle due to anxiety and other challenges.

For example alot of us have school, work, are disabled, etc. and real life in general doesn't play into being an hardcore PvP'er. But we can do well in skirmishes.

Another thing is, the majority of people aren't violent and don't want to hurt others even in a video game, and the main attraction of RvR in comparison is being able to play hybrid roles where you can command, scout, support, etc. instead of just 1v1'ing.

If there's anything the devs should focus on its WvW, I think. Its the single game mode that can pull in any kind of player and keep them there.

I would have thought this game's PvP is ideal for players with limited time because you don't need to spend time preparing (you always have access to all your skills and traits and all stat combinations) and matches are relatively short compared to things like PvE meta events so you could just log in, play a few matches and then stop whenever instead of needing to commit a large block of time to get anything done.

I know you'd need to play lots of matches to get through reward tracks and whatever the equivalent of WvW skirmish chests is (I don't play PvP but I think there is a similar system) but you can do that gradually over time rather than needing to be online for a few hours at a time.

• Like 1

You can be sure they monitor the playstyles and know what percentage plays where. All games do.  PvM is the main focus of most MMOs... probably for good reason.  They concentrate development on the more popular parts of the game, and the majority of the player base. 

I have been playing MMOs since 1997.  I have nothing against PvP, but also no interest in it. I am sure I am not alone. 😎