I wish Anet deletes my account if I ever buy another black lion key

ArenaNet won't act as your nanny.  You will have to take responsibility for your own actions.  If you truly want your account deleted, you can contact the CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below.  Be aware:  this action is permanent.

If you are unhappy with the results of opening Black Lion Chests, don't purchase Black Lion Chest Keys. 

Trade Gold for Keys, do the weekly key run, map-complete, or any other way to obtain keys.

Good luck. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

I don't know if ANet does this, but a friend of mine who is very susceptible to gambling and wasted too much money on PoEs mystery boxes, contacted the support to disable his accounts possibility of buying them and they did that.
It's worth giving that a try, I think.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

ArenaNet won't act as your nanny.  You will have to take responsibility for your own actions.  If you truly want your account deleted, you can contact the CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below.  Be aware:  this action is permanent.

If you are unhappy with the results of opening Black Lion Chests, don't purchase Black Lion Chest Keys. 

Trade Gold for Keys, do the weekly key run, map-complete, or any other way to obtain keys.

Good luck. 

lol its not that serious xddddd

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Surprise mechanics should be banned from games. They exploit people using human psychology. Does nobody know this?

Making statements such as "Don't like it? Don't do it" Is ignoring the issue. There is a psychological implication in these kinds of in-game mechanics, and it's not always the persons fault for succumbing to it. It's like blaming the mouse for walking into the mouse trap. But what about the person who set the cheese?

Does nobody else want their games free from this nonsense? or are you just going to ignore it forever until all the games we play are literal gambling machines that you don't want you friends and family anywhere near? We cannot keep ignoring the problem and scrutinizing anyone who criticizes it. We should all put our voices together and say NO, and demand fair business practices that do not exploit people who may be vulnerable to these types of maneuvers. If we don't, then we might as well say goodbye to fun games within the next few years.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Surprise mechanics should be banned from games. They exploit people using human psychology. Does nobody know this?

Making statements such as "Don't like it? Don't do it" Is ignoring the issue. There is a psychological implication in these kinds of in-game mechanics, and it's not always the persons fault for succumbing to it. It's like blaming the mouse for walking into the mouse trap. But what about the person who set the cheese?

Does nobody else want their games free from this nonsense? or are you just going to ignore it forever until all the games we play are literal gambling machines that you don't want you friends and family anywhere near? We cannot keep ignoring the problem and scrutinizing anyone who criticizes it. We should all put our voices together and say NO, and demand fair business practices that do not exploit people who may be vulnerable to these types of maneuvers. If we don't, then we might as well say goodbye to fun games within the next few years.

there was once a long discussion about this. The main viewpoints of people was that Anet must also somehow finance itself and that people have their own will and do not have to buy the things ^^'' because GW2 is still humane in terms of these things.

But I find it sad when you support something like that, just because it is the only gmabling mechanic in the game.
To the rest I would say nothing. People who think, just don't do it will never understand what is behind such gambling things and the people who fall for it. Unfortunately, empathy is not widespread on the Internet.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

The main issue is that exploiting people increases sales. Nothing is going to happen until they decide to stop falling for it or until someone else makes laws that stops greedy game developers from doing it to protect the weak minded.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Tbh rpgs where always based on the same principles of gambling machines. So just saying we should ban all might be an Overreaction. 

While I am sympathic to the argument of protecting people. You can't really make progress without aknowledging that some people do enjoy lootboxes. 

Also, most people do know that they exploit human psychology, but that is true for almost all video games etc. 

17 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Good luck. 

The more accurate statement is anet will act like your drug dealer, offering you the free samples from personal story 10 30 and 50 and map completion so you get hooked.  And once these means run out, force you to spend real money. Gold for keys is a joke, there is no farm in the game that is better than US minimum wage and buying gems.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

This has always been a thing, it always will be. You shouldn't be playing video games PERIOD if you have a problem with random rewards. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

?? 

Every time a lion key drops, I don't even get excited anymore because it's almost all crap. To go out and actually buy it. Why? It does drop normally every now and then. You can also key farm.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me for the 1000th time....

I mean if you can't understand that, you would probably have wasted your money on something else stupid anyways. Why don't you just give it to us first?

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

This has always been a thing, it always will be. You shouldn't be playing video games PERIOD if you have a problem with random rewards. 

Not all video games include loot boxes.

And, yes, of course companies will seek to monetise their product - businesses will seek to maximise their profits for the most part, so many companies will sell loot boxes if the local laws permit it.

However, several legislatures do seem to be moving towards (or have already enacted e.g. Belgium) restrictions on the sale of randomised virtual goods (loot boxes) by having them fall under the regulations covering gambling.  As I understand it, this has encouraged some game suppliers to focus more on direct item purchase than loot boxes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Nope, but I have yet to play a video game that doesn't have a random reward element to them, and that's the complaint of the person I quoted. 

No they were complaining about loot boxes when they used the term "surprise mechanics".

"Surprise mechanics" is the name that an EA exec tried to use instead of loot boxes to a UK parliamentary committee asking questions about loot boxes. 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

No they were complaining about loot boxes when they used the term "surprise mechanics".

You can assume that if you want. I won't. Frankly, I think it's absurd to complain about 'surprise mechanics' ... but not have a problem with them if you didn't drop coin on them. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 4