Login Rewards, Multiboxing, and Bots

It's time to make a change Anet, it has been going on for too long. We've all seen the multiboxers and bots in meta events just standing around AFK to tag the bosses at the end of the event for the same loot as all the actual players, they just receive x10 the loot. GW2 has gotten to the point that the best way to make gold in this game isn't actually playing the game, but by taking advantage of the systems. I'm also including Login Rewards with that as you get an insane amount of gold just by logging into several accounts over time. Mighty Teapot posted a video not too long ago just showing how broken it really is. The bots need to be banned, multiboxing should be against the ToS as it just makes content hard on the actual players because the content scales up, and you cant actually play 5+ accounts all at once. The one I feel will get me attacked the most is the Login Rewards, I don't actually want them removed. However, I'd like them to be placed behind the Daily Completionist, as it would slow that farm down tremendously, and wouldn't bother the people who actually play the game.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 10

The bot thing I get, the "Login Rewards with that as you get an insane amount of gold." There are many faster and cheaper ways to make gold, that video is more a, "if your lazy and don't mind spending cash" way to make gold.

You understand the only way to get more accounts with log in rewards is by buying them right? Free accounts wont give them. That's a very expensive way to make gold. Also why would anet kitten themselves in the foot for people wanting to buy their game several times over? Log in rewards wasn't something that came with the start of the game, anet decided adding them would incentivize players to do just that, to log in and get a reward, and hopefully play a bit. Putting it behind something defeats that purpose all together.

Also you say multi boxing should be against ToS, it is if your doing more then one key per action per account. So if you think someone is breaking that, feel free to report it.

Edited by Jwake.7013
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Jorrak Brutus.2850 said:

It's time to make a change Anet, it has been going on for too long. We've all seen the multiboxers and bots in meta events just standing around AFK to tag the bosses at the end of the event for the same loot as all the actual players, they just receive x10 the loot. GW2 has gotten to the point that the best way to make gold in this game isn't actually playing the game, but by taking advantage of the systems. I'm also including Login Rewards with that as you get an insane amount of gold just by logging into several accounts over time. Mighty Teapot posted a video not too long ago just showing how broken it really is. The bots need to be banned, multiboxing should be against the ToS as it just makes content hard on the actual players because the content scales up, and you cant actually play 5+ accounts all at once. The one I feel will get me attacked the most is the Login Rewards, I don't actually want them removed. However, I'd like them to be placed behind the Daily Completionist, as it would slow that farm down tremendously, and wouldn't bother the people who actually play the game.

Multiboxing is allowed by anet as long as you control one screen at a time.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013658134-Policy-Dual-or-Multi-Boxing

Edited by MarkoGold.7126
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

54 minutes ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

Multiboxing is allowed by anet as long as you control one screen at a time.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013658134-Policy-Dual-or-Multi-Boxing

OP: "Multiboxing should be agains the ToS" (which strongly implies it currently isn't)
Rando: "But Multiboxing is allowed by ANet! Here's proof!"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

I guess the good news is that most of what you're talking about already is actionable/against the TOS. You're not supposed to control multiple accounts/clients with single keystrokes, you're not supposed to AFK in areas that are advantageous to you (someone doing this for hours at lucrative event sites/farming areas for instance), and bots have always, as far as I'm aware, been a violation of the rules.

There are often requests for the report function to be looked at again and improved, so maybe that would help curb some of these issues.

About the only thing here that would actually be a change is your idea of moving log-in rewards to instead be part of the daily reward chest. On its face, this doesn't seem like something that'd be a big deal, but while it might curb some of the multiboxing players, it'd be annoying for people with limited time who can sometimes play for quite a while and other times can only log in for those daily rewards. ArenaNet probably doesn't want to implement a change that will negatively affect "lawful" players of the game, so log-in rewards will most likely stay right where they are. Log-in rewards are intended to be exactly what they are, regardless of who might abuse them.

Edited by AgentMoore.9453
I tried to type two different sentences at the same time and the result wasn't English.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Leechers are leeching. Therefore, all alternate accounts don't deserve the same log-in rewards as main accounts even though alt accounts were paid for and require daily log-ins, just like with main accounts. What the? 🙄

The other day, I saw a dog biting somebody. Therefore, we need to ban dog food. Makes sense.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

Leechers are leeching. Therefore, all alternate accounts don't deserve the same log-in rewards as main accounts even though alt accounts were paid for and require daily log-ins, just like with main accounts. What the? 🙄

The other day, I saw a dog biting somebody. Therefore, we need to ban dog food. Makes sense.

You have completely missed the point. 😄 I guess they could really fix the botters/multiboxing problem by adding the participation mechanic to most meta's and if you don't hit a certain percentage you wouldn't receive any loot (I really mean low participation = no loot). I only brought up the login rewards, not to have them removed, but had them placed behind the daily completionist. So then those said people farming accounts for the login rewards will actually have to do something besides spending money.

Also, I'd just shoot the dog. 😂

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

38 minutes ago, Jorrak Brutus.2850 said:

I guess they could really fix the botters/multiboxing problem by adding the participation mechanic to most meta's and if you don't hit a certain percentage you wouldn't receive any loot (I really mean low participation = no loot).

This is a very short-sighted request, we get every few weeks. If you play active healer or any other support, you usually run into situations where you barely get a silver- or copper-medal participation in an event. In some really annoying cases, your participation is counted as too low = no loot at all. 

Why do people play support in meta-events anyway? Yeah, that is an old question. DPS is king and the quicker the bosses die, the more you can farm, right? Most of the bosses have quite devastating attacks and a lot of the DPS players only focus on their rotations nowadays. So when the bosses pop up a devastating AoE, DPS rather finish their rotation instead of moving 1 inch to the left. Another big problem are the open-world builds that recommend full berzerker's/viper's + scholar runes and 0 sustain = aka glasscannon builds. Players with those builds barely even survive a normal hit from a boss :S. However buffing, healing and reviving do not count as active participation in most events.

In certain encounters, it is already really hard to get even copper participation in an event. If you are too dedicated to your support role, you can end up with too low participation = no loot at all. Even if you have carried 1/4 of the entire DPS players. The game does not care. And the DPS players do not notice you as what you are. They will not share their loot with you. If you dare to speak up after a successful event, you can be lucky if they do not mock you. 

You could have played DPS as well ^^. The ironic part is, we could. But then we could forget most of the meta-events. The only stuff that still sort-of works without field-support are the old, unboosted, worldbosses. Because their HP pool melts quickly. 

Please do not tie participation to % damage. Thanks!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Jorrak Brutus.2850 said:

You have completely missed the point. 😄 I guess they could really fix the botters/multiboxing problem by adding the participation mechanic to most meta's and if you don't hit a certain percentage you wouldn't receive any loot (I really mean low participation = no loot). I only brought up the login rewards, not to have them removed, but had them placed behind the daily completionist. So then those said people farming accounts for the login rewards will actually have to do something besides spending money.

Also, I'd just shoot the dog. 😂

Players who paid for multiple accounts already do need to do something to make money. We had to pay for our extra accounts, just like players who buy gems with real life money, and more than players who spent money on only one account. Spending money on the game is doing something. Not only that, we also need to log in to our extra accounts every day for months to break even. Only after that can we start making money, but we must continue to log in to our extra accounts every day. That's why many players prefer to spend money on gems instead of extra accounts; because getting extra log-in rewards requires more than just spending money. If a player wants 10 log-in rewards, it requires 10 times more work than logging in to only 1 account.

If you're so adamant that multi-account owners get money without having to do anything, then by all means, go buy extra accounts for the log-in rewards. The reason many are unwilling to do that (or regret buying extra accounts) is because players already do have to do something to earn those extra log-in rewards.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

On 6/5/2021 at 3:13 PM, Jorrak Brutus.2850 said:

Well, might as well give Zero rewards to the people who only camp the boss encounter and do nothing for the pre-events -- unless you count, "Yo, who's doing the pre's?" as helpful.

And then I guess anybody late to an event might as well not bother.

It's all a slippery slope.

• Like 2

Well if Anet really wanted to crack down on people buying multiple accounts just for login rewards they could do something like require accounts to have say 500 AP before they qualify.  That would make things harder for people with a lot of accounts that they just use for login rewards.   But as much as I see people complaining about the cost of mystic coins, that might increase their price.   So maybe as some say, be careful what you ask for.   🙂

• Like 1

As long login rewards are better gold per hour, then playing the game (best farm ingame), poeple will buy alt accounts and avoiding to play the game(farm for gold). This is for me a bad game design and in the long term Anet will lose proberly money, because of gold to gems convertions. Give login rewards on top of activtits you can do in the game, so atleast people play the game.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

That you find something like this funny is much more worrying for me than the  supposed bots that ruin gw2 ...

Thanks for quote mining me, but you do realize he said a dog biting someone. If a dog was to attack me or anyone with any significance to me, I would shoot it without a second thought. I was laughing at his horrible analogy, btw.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

What you were finding funny is irrelevant and my analogy perfectly describes your overreactions that have nothing to do with the problem. Some people play illegitimately with multiple accounts, so you think that justifies going after log-in rewards, which would affect all legitimate players, multiple accounts or not, even though that has nothing to do with illegitimate actions.

Also, if a dog bites someone, you think it's OK to shoot it. The vast majority of dog bites are harmless and do not even escalate to dangerous situations. Shooting a dog for simply biting somebody is a major overreaction and can get you into some serious trouble. The only exception is if it's a very dangerous situation with no safe way to de-escalate the situation (like a large and dangerous dog is viciously mauling a small child and nobody is around who can safely stop the dog, for example).

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/5/2021 at 5:39 PM, Jwake.7013 said:

Also you say multi boxing should be against ToS, it is if your doing more then one key per action per account. So if you think someone is breaking that, feel free to report it.

Just because something is verboten on paper doesn't magically translate into real action

Even more so when Anet either doesn't know about the issue or appears to be ignoring it

It took explicit demanding from the community just to get them to finally put a stop to people teleport farming Dragon's Stand for keys

If everyone just went "Oh well, it's against the ToS so Anet will stop them" and left it at that, they'd still be there, bouncing around, getting effortless map completion BLC keys

Edited by Substance E.4852
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, JustTrogdor.7892 said:

Well if Anet really wanted to crack down on people buying multiple accounts just for login rewards they could do something like require accounts to have say 500 AP before they qualify.  That would make things harder for people with a lot of accounts that they just use for login rewards.   But as much as I see people complaining about the cost of mystic coins, that might increase their price.   So maybe as some say, be careful what you ask for.   🙂

It is insanely easy to get AP early in the game, especially with the recent "new account" achievements, or whatever they are called. You get AP for slayer and weapon, gathering, exploring, etc. 500 AP is nothing any more.

I don't agree that any restrictions should be placed on multiple accounts, anyway. I have many. Any time I spend on these accounts is time I am not advancing my main account. Everything comes with a cost.

13 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

What you were finding funny is irrelevant and my analogy perfectly describes your overreactions that have nothing to do with the problem. Some people play illegitimately with multiple accounts, so you think that justifies going after log-in rewards, which would affect all legitimate players, multiple accounts or not, even though that has nothing to do with illegitimate actions.

Also, if a dog bites someone, you think it's OK to shoot it. The vast majority of dog bites are harmless and do not even escalate to dangerous situations. Shooting a dog for simply biting somebody is a major overreaction and can get you into some serious trouble. The only exception is if it's a very dangerous situation with no safe way to de-escalate the situation (like a large and dangerous dog is viciously mauling a small child and nobody is around who can safely stop the dog, for example).

There are probably different rules for addressing dog bites and attacks depending where you live. For instance, where I live, you can shoot a dog if you feel it is a threat to yours or your pet's safety even if it doesn't attack you. You might have to prove in civil court that it was warranted (if the owner of said dog sues you), but that's about it. I'm not advocating running around shooting Fifi or anything. Just saying those laws vary greatly from place to place.

Also, the multiple account thing puzzles me. I've often wondered why people buy multiple accounts since so many ingame rewards are account-wide, and also since then you have to buy everything (potentially) multiple times. It never occurred to me that some people see that as a financial advantage over players with single accounts.

I still don't get it, but like you, I dislike a sytem-wide crackdown on legitimate players to discourage some people from misusing the system. There will always be people trying to manipulate any gaming system to their advantage, with a small portion of them really misusing it to do so. Extending this notion forward, if every illegitimate account use was dealt with this way, would there be anything left of GW2 besides a warning button and a legal disclaimer?

30 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

It is insanely easy to get AP early in the game, especially with the recent "new account" achievements, or whatever they are called. You get AP for slayer and weapon, gathering, exploring, etc. 500 AP is nothing any more.

I don't agree that any restrictions should be placed on multiple accounts, anyway. I have many. Any time I spend on these accounts is time I am not advancing my main account. Everything comes with a cost.

Well my post was kind of tongue in cheek regarding people complaining about people using multiple accounts for login rewards.   That's why I mentioned the possibility of an increased price for mystic coins if Anet did something to make that more difficult.   I just threw that AP  number in there as more an example than anything.  Heck I could have said 1,000 AP.  Yes 500 AP is pretty easy to get to, but imagine someone with like 30 accounts having to do that for each of them.  I even saw something on GW2 Reddit awhile back about someone with like 200 accounts, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.   It would certainly be a real pain in the rear to get many accounts to 500 AP as opposed to just logging in and getting rewards.   

To clarify I don't have a problem with alt accounts for login rewards either.   I guess if Anet found it as an issue they would do something about it.  I doubt it is really a concern for them though as people buying alt accounts brings in revenue.   

10 minutes ago, Raizel.1839 said:

You don't get login rewards on Free accounts, you need to buy the game. 

I think most everyone here knows that already.   Why I think this issue has come up a few times is there has been a fair amount of chatter recently about people with many alt accounts just for login rewards.  I think I saw where a streamer brought the issue up with examples recently.    If you can buy an account on sale the rewards via mystic coins and converting laurels to mats then selling them on the TP does pay for itself in a fair amount of time instead of buying gems and converting to gold.

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892

I'm not even sure how Anet could police multiple accounts. Different account names, different email addresses, nothing up front prevents multiple accounts being created.

You can have multiple people playing from the same house, and thus the same internet. That happens when my brother comes for a visit, and could happen with my daughter as well.

I agree multiple AFKers is not a good thing, but you don't need multiple accounts for that. AFK is the issue, not accounts.

• Thanks 1