What In-Game Hobbies/Events would you like?

Which ingame hobbies do you want?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Ingame Hobbies...

• Fishing
    • Hunting ( Boar, Deer, etc...)
    • All of the above
    • None of the above
    • My idea is better, and it is...
    • Strawberries and Cream

Kind of a silly poll. Might have been better to just call the thread 'Y'all Wanna Fish?' with the options 'Ye' and 'I'd rather resources be spent bla bla bla'.

That aside, I'd enjoy classic fishing in some form, preferably as an activity that can be done in any body of water with loot tables that change depending on region. I'd still do the other stuff in the game, but this would be nice for those times when I'm too headachey or worn down to run around farming. Relaxing QoL updates breathe life into this game, so I welcome more of them.

• Like 1

Fishing is  my favorite MMO 'relaxing' activity. Always surprises me they didn't add it in Guild Wars 2. Other than that, if they ever added housing, I'd love it if they also added trophy hunting to compliment your house's walls and rooms. 😀

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590
  • Like 3

I guess it depends on how it is done. If it boils down to an afk minigame, I think resources can be spent elsewhere. If it's fun, sure have a t it. Generally I'd rather have Anet spend resources on improving and expanding already existing systems rather than putting all these systems into the game only to be forgotten after two months.

While I have tried fishing and hunting type of activities in other games, it has never really been that attractive to me.  I have usually just ignored these after giving them enough time to see how the system works.  I find the passive gameplay really not rewarding or engaging.

I have enjoyed collection type side activates like Archaeology from WoW or Seeker Droid/Macrobinocular from SWtOR however, and think they could be an interesting (although perhaps not extensive) side activity.  Something that could draw players back to older maps for a fresh view and a vehicle for storytelling either historic moments in GW2 or perhaps relevant to future content.

• Like 1

I've never really enjoyed fishing in any game. At best it's something I don't mind doing until I've gotten the rewards I need from it.

It might sound contradictory but the fishing systems I prefer are the more complicated ones where you actually have to lure the fish and then fight it to reel it in, because then at least the challenge of getting it right can be interesting. Like Ocarina of Time, or A Short Hike. My least favourite are the ones where you just push a button to start and then wait to be told to push another button to see what you caught, because that's boring. If they're going to do that they might as well skip the pretence that it's an activity and just have you push 1 button to cast, reel it in and see what you got, so it's basically another kind of gathering node.

Hunting we've basically already got, in that there's passive animals we can find and kill and we get meat and potentially other materials from them which we can craft with. I suppose they could make it so the animals run away from player characters if they see you, so you have to think about how to approach them but I'm not sure it would make a big difference.

I like the idea of adding more non-combat activities which can be done in the world itself rather than designated mini game areas, but I'm not sure what exactly. It needs to be something you actually do, and which is therefore worth doing. (If only because a lot of my 'non-activity' ideas are already in the game like sitting and watching what's going on around you or swimming.)

Edited by Danikat.8537