Silhouette Teaser Weapon

Most likely is dagger

That said, if we DO get new weapons for the xpac then I expect the most likely are the ones that aren’t actually, technically new - just new above land.  Those 3 are definitely the easiest to make seeing as they aren’t 100% new to the game (as things like greataxe, crossbow, nunchucks etc would be).  Plus everyone’s wanted spear on land forever

Definitely not a dagger, daggers are iconically held in the back of the hand in this game for easy visual identification. I don't think they would break with that core design motif, so definitely not a dagger. 

I think it's a new weapon type. It could be a terrestrial version of a spear but more likely a similarly-named polearm weapon like glaive/pike/javelin etc. I think at least one other elite spec will get this weapon and i think there's a high chance it will be called a paragon, from GW1.

It also seems to me like new mesmer spec will *not* have clones.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, scerevisiae.1972 said:

Definitely not a dagger, daggers are iconically held in the back of the hand in this game for easy visual identification. I don't think they would break with that core design motif, so definitely not a dagger.

There are multiple dagger skins that visually are facing forward, even if the attacks are still done from the back of the hand.

And then you have the Claw of the Khan-Ur, which is a double-ended dagger.

It's clearly a mesmer elite spec, I'd be surprised if it's any other profession.

If you zoom in on the weapon (dagger/spear part) you'll see that there's like an deep purple and pink shimmer on metallic parts of the weapon. That color has usually been mesmers signature color which they have used for other mesmer artworks before aswell.

The only thing that's missing is the purple butterflies flying around which would make this 100% mesmer. The butterflies might be on the parts where the pinkish misty color splashes are around the silhouette and the flying daggers above her, which they deliberately left out, cuz that would've made it too obvious.

So I dont think this is either elementalist or revenant as some people believes...

2 hours ago, AshkyLicious.4729 said:

So I dont think this is either elementalist or revenant as some people believes...

For all we know, the new Revenant elite specialization's legend might be Mesmer-pink.

After all, every legend (so far) is a different colour.

But it doesn't look like Elementalist to me either.

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

For all we know, the new Revenant elite specialization's legend might be Mesmer-pink.

After all, every legend (so far) is a different colour.

But it doesn't look like Elementalist to me either.

Jalis and Glint are at least pretty close... but yeah, revenant legends do have different colours. Their equivalent of this sort of image, though, has generally been grey (such as this, this, and even this if you look at the backdrop), so I think it's still much more likely to be mesmer than anything else. 

I dont really understand why people would think its a dagger. Look at the other arm. It has some weirdness on the shoulder, but the character is clearly holding it across the chest and in particular, its raised somewhat as if the character need to angle the body and push up the shoulder to hold on to something. That does not match a dagger ready pose at all. It does however, match a twohander such as holding a bowstring. If its an offhand the mesmer is doing what, holding a pistol down her crotch lol?

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

Seeing a lot of people with pretty flawed reasoning as to why this couldn't be a spear.

1. The way the person is holding the spear. Picture the girl holding it defensively or in a sweeping motion. Imagine her left arm in front of her and angled down as if she were reaching to her right side waste drawing a sword from a sheath. There's no reason they have to use existing animations for upcoming elite specs anyway and it makes sense to add different ones.

Think of weaver for example, how many of those animations were in the game prior to Path of Fire?

2. She wouldn't hold her hand that close to the blade. Uh.. have you seen the way some hammers are held? It's fairly inconsistent. Sometimes the grip is almost all the way at the head of the hammer, sometimes it's further in the middle. 

3. They wouldn't add spear because they didn't give Spellbreaker spears. Okay, well the studio post Path of Fire release has had NUMEROUS setbacks, people leaving, and has left quite a bit of uncertainty amongst the playerbase. Perfect time to put in the extra work to incorporate either a new weapon type or convert tridents to on land weapons to attract players. They've been long awaited features. They also had mounts to add. You can't really use the excuse that "if they were ever going to they would have done it then." Sure, they could have added paragons and implemented spears then, but they also could have implemented Dervishes but they chose to add an evolved version of something that used to exist that made sense specifically for it.

Anyway - 

The same argument about the way they hold it could be applied if it were a dagger, but at the end of the day mesmer uses a Greatsword as a ranged weapon as do revs with hammers. Applying logic to how something gets held doesn't really apply when it's not a warrior that traditionally fights in close combat.

Lastly:

4. If it were dual daggers - you would think they would display both daggers and not leave one hidden in the silhouette as they did with spellbreaker where you clearly see both.

This is seems pretty clearly to be an elite spec teaser, likely for mesmer, as leaving a black silhouette with only splashes of pink makes little sense for the teasing of a new character. 

I think it's much more likely to be a spear given how well the end of the head of the spear near her right hand and the notch sticking out at her left arm near her head line up. I'd say it's also much more likely for them to get a two handed weapon since they already got shield (off-hand) with chrono and axe (main-hand) with mirage.

You also have to think about playstyle. Given mesmers just got main-hand weapons and have been using the same off-hands since vanilla outside of shield, how different is just one main-hand dagger really going to feel and what would the playstyle of that one dagger be? We have necros using daggers as semi ranged weapons, eles using daggers as mid ranged weapons, rangers thieves and warriors as melee weapons, and mesmer already has scepter. This isn't as solid of an argument given that the dagger could be a long-ranged weapon.

Bow is an interesting possibility and one I hadn't considered. It doesn't make immediate sense from the silhouette but when they reveal the non-blacked out image it could make much more sense. Those could be arrowheads above her as well, so this is an interesting possibility.

Spear/Trident/Bow seem much more likely to me than dagger. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

16 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

Lastly:
4. If it were dual daggers - you would think they would display both daggers and not leave one hidden in the silhouette as they did with spellbreaker where you clearly see both.

We don't even know the exact pose of the left arm.

For all we know the assumed Mesmer might point the left arm straight at the viewer with the second dagger also pointing at the viewer. That way, the potential left hand dagger would not be visible in the silhouette.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2

On 7/4/2021 at 2:06 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

We don't even know the exact pose of the left arm.

For all we know the assumed Mesmer might point the left arm straight at the viewer with the second dagger also pointing at the viewer. That way, the potential left hand dagger would not be visible in the silhouette.

Editing this as the weapon is clearly a bow. 

rip spear dreams.

Edited by Bast.7253
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

If you look at the left arm you can see back end/hilt of the weapon jutting out a bit. So holding it out in front of them towards the viewer wouldn't make sense. They'd have to be holding it down in front of their chest. 

Given that it's a silhouette, we can't even be certain which outline might actually be part of the weapon, and which actually are part of an asymmetric transmog. For all we know, the strokes jutting out of the silhouette might be part of a ribbon attached to the gloves.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Given that it's a silhouette, we can't even be certain which outline might actually be part of the weapon, and which actually are part of an asymmetric transmog. For all we know, the strokes jutting out of the silhouette might be part of a ribbon attached to the gloves.

true. But looking over the image again it could just as easily be a bow in her right hand and her just pointing with her left. 

The placement of her right hand is kind of hard to make out. Difficult figuring out how her hand is angled and what her grip is.

But this is why I was thinking it was a spear.

though in doing this I realized it could just as easily be a bow. Having offhand dagger would be nice as messers need more offhand options, but we’ll have to wait and see the revealed image to know one way or another.

Looking at the right hand though, it does look like it's gripping it differently than she would if she were holding it like a spear in my iphone mock-up. But I'm no artist so maybe someone sees it differently than I do.

So who knows. 

Edited by Bast.7253
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

My guess is spear. I think it's being held with the handle behind the back and they're reaching their other arm to grab it. I'd be super down for a Mesmer espec with a spear. Then, not only could I poke you, but three other me's could also poke you. That's a lot of poke and I'm here for it. 

I'm also biased, though. I would love a spear weapon for land as spears have been one of my favorite weapons in games since The Third Age game back in 2004. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

23 minutes ago, SkyCakeLight.3750 said:

My guess is spear. I think it's being held with the handle behind the back and they're reaching their other arm to grab it. I'd be super down for a Mesmer espec with a spear. Then, not only could I poke you, but three other me's could also poke you. That's a lot of poke and I'm here for it. 

I'm also biased, though. I would love a spear weapon for land as spears have been one of my favorite weapons in games since The Third Age game back in 2004. 

50% less poke then dubble  dagger elite spec tho.

My first impression was dagger, but I could see it being a spear too. Personally I would be happiest with dual daggers. I have no problem with spear becoming a land weapon for classes as long as they add a ton of new skins for it. There are a few great ones but most of them look meh, not to mention there being a much smaller pool of options to choose from.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/3/2021 at 5:39 AM, VocalThought.9835 said:

I hope it's Short Bow, then hopefully GW2 would finally support my idea of giving each elite two weapons instead of one. If they give Mesmers short Bow and the ability to conjure 5 clones instead of 3, they would be supporting my elite speculation.

Heavy Armor- Soliders
*Warrior 
-Beserkers use Torch and a main hand Shield 
-Spell Breakers use Dual Daggers and offhand Focus
-Warlord would use Staff and an Offhand Pistol.
*Guardian
-Dragon Hunters use Long Bow and offhand Sword
-Firebrands use main hand Axe and main hand Focus
-Archon could get War Horn and an offhand Scepter.
*Revenant
-Herald uses Shield and Great Sword
-Renegade uses Short Bow and main hand Axe
-Overlord could get Scepter and main hand Phistols.

Medium Armor - Adventurers
*Ranger
-Druid uses Staff and offhand focus.
-Soulbeast uses main hand Dagger and Rifle
-Warden would use Hammer and offhand Shield.
*Engineer
-Scrapper use Hammer and main hand Mace
-Holosmith use main hand Sword and Staff
-Technomancer would get Great Swords and offhand Focus.
*Thief
-Daredevil use Staff and gets dual Maces
-Deadeye use Rifle and would get offhand Focus
-Inquisitor gets Torch and an offhand Sword

Light Armors- Scholars
*Elementalist
-Tempest has Warhorn and gets an offhand Scepter
-Weaver had main hand Sword and would get main hand Focus
-Magnus Long Bow and Great Sword
*Mesmer
-Chronomancer has Shield and dual Daggers
-Mirage has main hand Axe and main hand Pistol