EoD is a $30 Patch.....

12 minutes ago, Will.9785 said:

No, no they can't but they should make an attempt to satisfy as many as they can, right?  Tell me... the number of players who wanted housing... do you think that was more or less than the number of players who wanted fishing and skiffs combined?

Again, what evidence do you have to suggest they aren't doing that? I can't tell you how many player want something for the same reason you shouldn't be claiming Anet isn't doing things that players want ... neither of us have that data. The difference is that apparently, you don't have a problem making claims without it. 

Actually, I DO have evidence that Anet is doing things players want ... because the game wouldn't be here if they weren't. It's a business. Businesses go away when they don't do things their customers want ... so Anet must be doing SOMETHING right here. No fearmongering about EoD not doing what players want changes what I'm telling you. Players ask for LOTS of things ... and there are LOTS of reasons to not do them. So if you don't see Anet doing those things, don't assume it's because they aren't listening or they hate being in business. Those are both ridiculous reasons. 

Furthermore, NOT everything Anet does has to be something players want. I don't even get that logic. LIke if Anet offers something that isn't the majority of what people want, all the sudden they are tone-deaf and ignoring players? That's absurd. I don't know their reasons for doing and not doing things, but it's safe to assume that every underlying reason they have for doing something is either for the general good of the game (because it NEEDS to be run like a business, not a charity) and hopefully for the players. Seems to me that even with some mis-steps ... Anet's doing a pretty good job on that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Will.9785 said:

I personally do not care one iota about housing but a lot of people do... certainly more than fishing or skiffs.  And competitors offer it.  That should have been a no-brainer for a feature way before fishing or skiffs were implemented.

Today in totally made up statistics... 😆 

Housing does nothing for the game, you have home instances +guild halls +hubs like EotN already.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Will.9785 said:

No, no they can't but they should make an attempt to satisfy as many as they can, right?  Tell me... the number of players who wanted housing... do you think that was more or less than the number of players who wanted fishing and skiffs combined?

See now the problem with that attitude is you assumed they didn't try. There's literally more to it than just attempting to satisfy as many players as they can, they have to weigh their options as much as possible in order to determine what's doable and what isn't. You're throwing assumptions here and there without actually knowing if ANet actually tried or not. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

See now the problem with that attitude is you assumed they didn't try. There's literally more to it than just attempting to satisfy as many players as they can, they have to weigh their options as much as possible in order to determine what's doable and what isn't. You're throwing assumptions here and there without actually knowing if ANet actually tried or not. 

If they can do guild halls they can do housing.

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

They did, it's called Home Instance

If they did it, then why do you think players are still asking for it?  Might it have something to do with the home instances not being customizable?  Sure sounds like an area of the game that could use a revamp/relaunch to me.

Edited by Will.9785
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Will.9785 said:

If they did it, then why do you think players are still asking for it?

Because players don't always ask for things that make sense. That's just one of many reasons why Anet doesn't implement everything that players want, EVEN if lots of people want it. Again ... there are LOTS of  things people ask for, which means there are lots of things Anet can't do. Just wanting something is not a determination of what should be in game. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 5

Just now, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

The same reason a small group of people are asking for the Tengu Race, a small number of them simply want it

So that "small group"... do you think it was larger or smaller than the group asking for fishing?

Just now, Obtena.7952 said:

Because players don't always ask for things that make sense. That's just one of many reasons why Anet doesn't implement everything that players want, EVEN if lots of people want it. Again ... there are LOTS of stupid things people ask for, which means there are lots of stupid things Anet should NOT do. 

But it makes perfect sense.  Again, housing doesn't appeal to me personally... but I can totally understand why the idea of customizing an area of the game to your tastes/needs is something folks would want.  It's a very popular feature in several of Guild Wars 2's competitors.

4 minutes ago, Will.9785 said:

So that "small group"... do you think it was larger or smaller than the group asking for fishing?

Smaller, if not the same.

Now answer me this question, how much time and effort do you think it will take for ANet to develop a full housing system, complete with customisation to the actual house sizes, rooms, items, wallpaper decors, flooring, roof designs, house themes, lighting, furniture and so on?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will.9785 said:

But it makes perfect sense.  Again, housing doesn't appeal to me personally... but I can totally understand why the idea of customizing an area of the game to your tastes/needs is something folks would want.  It's a very popular feature in several of Guild Wars 2's competitors.

I'm not arguing it doesn't make sense for people to want it. I'm arguing that for WHATEVER reason, it doesn't make sense for Anet to implement it. If it was sensible, they would do it. Obviously that's not too high on their list right now, along with lots of other things players always ask for. Just wanting something isn't a reason to put it in the game. This is a business. It's not JUST about what people want. That's not enough. 

I mean, the big problem with your thinking is that you believe that Anet needs to be told by players what the game needs to be successful. That's obviously not true given the history of the game. I have no reason to believe that at this time, that has somehow become true either. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Will.9785 said:

If they did it, then why do you think players are still asking for it?  Might it have something to do with the home instances not being customizable?  Sure sounds like an area of the game that could use a revamp/relaunch to me.

Good question to be honest.

I haven't read every thread or post on that topic here or elsewhere, so take my assumption with a grain of salt: What are those players really asking for? Maybe some form of housing that isn't as egalitarian as home instances are? Different housings for players depending on wealth perhaps? Housing as an opportunity to show off?

Customization is a bit tricky with five very different home instances as we have right now. If I remember correctly we got Sun's Refuge in season 4 as some sort of an additional home instance, a common home instance for all races. I guess it wasn't that popular at the end, so devs gave up on creating further customization options. Again, only an assumption.

2 hours ago, Will.9785 said:

I mean, to me it's upsetting because there are so many things they could do with housing. So many ways to monetize it. A bookshelf to store collectable tomes, legendary lore, etc. They have scribing and an existing decorations system they could sell decoration tokens. They could sell versions of instances with different layouts the size of the mistlock sanctuary pass.

I get that it wouldn't appeal to a lot of people, but is FISHING going to be that big of an item? It feels patch worthy imo. Maybe there's more to skiffs.

But I think if they had any huge features they would have revealed them already. The biggest thing they've kept secret from an expansion reveal was the griffon, and with the way things have gone the past few months I think if they had anything significant revealed they would have, especially now that Colin is back. He was the one that everyone complained about for overpromising and underdelivering, right?

Yet now everyone' saying, "it's just a first look they'll reveal more later." 

Yes, they'll make blog posts about the names of hard to catch fish around Tyria and have detailed articles about the design philosophy behind the skiff. Let me hold my breath in anticipation.

You're paying for new maps and new lite specs, and honestly that's enough for me because despite being disappointed with the reveal and feeling underwhelmed by the expansions I still want to support the game because there are still a ton of talented people. But don't get your hopes up about anything groundbreaking being revealed later. If they had it, they'd show it. Most of them seemed hella nervous an unenthused anyway. But it's probably because they anticipated judgmental keyboard developers like me tearing things apart. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Geckoo.6018 said:

It was not the best expansion first look, but is not that bad either. The 9 elite specs and Cantha itself are already good enough for an expansion, even if it's just the bare minimum.

Fishing & skiffs are a welcome addition, but not something worth of being the expansion spotlight. The siege turtle still has to be seen, specially in terms of utility. Sure, you could consider each of these features patch content, but they all come together, so it just adds to that bare minimum. And everything else, guildhalls and strikes, just keeps adding.

Is still too early to judge in terms of quality, but in terms of quantity we got enough, even if none of it is a big shiny selling point.

I could imagine some crazy stories missions if we are using the skiffs and small platoons to invade an island or sea vessels. 

Something similar to invading Gandara in GW1, but using skiffs to get to the docks, while avoiding mines and enemy ships.

Lots of potential…

Edited by Tyson.5160
  • Like 2

I'd say that the new maps and new elite specializations for every existing class is big. I'd pay just for that and look forward to soaking it up. Fishing, skiffs and other quality of life improvements I see as a bonus. Also, there's probably more to come after the first look. I'm indifferent about the Seige Turtles though. 

What I'd really like to see is what their plans are for WvW? I remember having a blast with it during the glory days. It's in a terrible state now. 

Edited by Keet.3142

as for the housing vs fishing argument: I am going to wait to see how the fishing works, tho I am not a huge fan of that type of activities, and I would be interested in "housing" on the assumption that it would be basically a miniature, cheap, guild hall. But that's likely because the guild hall costs are balanced around the 50 players, and in my main guild there is like one person (me) that consistently contributes out of like 5 people I could honestly call active.

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 9:51 AM, artharon.9276 said:

compare Anet's previous expansions with other mmos expansions. heart of thorns with wow's burning crusade or lich king, lotro's mines of moria, eso's morrowind or everquest or anything. it delivered good quality content like subscription based game and made other p2p f2p p2w mmos expansions look like a joke in comparison. so I'll give them the benefit of doubt here. maybe the game grew to much to leave little room for dramatic improvements or maybe not  I don't know. However, I have no doubt they'll deliver an amazing story, superior open world actions as they always do.

Wait until they reveal more. I'm sold if they bring in naval combat or even bring a PK system like archeage has. 

I was about to give u a like... But u made sure not to get likes from anyone by mentioning u like to have PK system.

Pls go kill everyone in PvP and PvP free-for-all area to your heart's content.. or wait for a failed drakkar and try to kill as many as possible in 10 secs... But pls keep your dominance ego to those specific areas it's not appreciated in pve generally

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Will.9785 said:

If they did it, then why do you think players are still asking for it? 

Because most of the people that comes to forum or reddit is to complain/give ideas/search for help. I've never seen a single soul in-game asking for this house thing, and then I come to the forums and people moans on it.

You can't customize your guild hall?

You can't improve your home instance?

I'm not a big fan of fishing but I totally prefer that over housing, and I think most of the community would share the same idea. Fishing is simple, find a spot, use a rod, and that engages with some quests or collections. See? Accessible content for those who like it and those who don't.

But housing? How many players would be willing to spend time on designing a instance with very questionable utility? Probably half of the active forum, that's for sure.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

What if the biggest reveal from the trailer was right in front of our noses... Everyone gets his own airship as home instance to decorate and do whatever lol. Probably not going to happen haha, but I always found it most logic the commander would have an Airship instead of the race home instance. He travels the world to help people out no?

Rack up all the nodes in a neat line for easy looting and get some more toys for the folk you can invite. Hang up some banners idk. Maybe even have the option to lower the airship and do some fishing etc. 

• Haha 1

I would hazzard a guess that there aren't any more major features in EoD. Besides elite specs there doesn't seem to be anything else to change how you play. But that is just fine. It is $30. Some expansions can redefine parts of a game, others will simply be additional content. PoF mounts where exceptional in changing map traversal and also in a $30 package. But being exceptional, it is an exception, and we shouldn't expect $30 to give dramatic changes.

They did seem to say that DragonJade is a narrative thing that ties into a new game system that is applicable across the entire game world. So there is still that to show. Although I suspect it might be a nice QOL thing rather than anything revolutionary.

GW2 is cheap to play (although living world content might be a bit pricey when it isn't free). You just can't expect everything to be like the a new phone with a new killer feature. An expansion that gives you more content and a few ways to change/extend your playstyle with elite specs. That is completely fair.

Now does the game need something big to grow it? Perhaps. But, maybe EoD isn't going to be it. The $30 price is basically an admittance to that fact. Maybe we can argue with ANet to just make GW3, that would certainly bring about new systems. But to be upset at they are giving us for how they priced it... It is just a bit entitled.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Telgum.6071 said:

But housing? How many players would be willing to spend time on designing a instance with very questionable utility? Probably half of the active forum, that's for sure.

I do not believe that the game needs a housing system as other games have, but more customization on your home instance would be more than welcome. Right now is basically a static collection of nodes, guild halls exist on a much bigger scale and in a more cooperative way for them to be something that can work well as your own customizable space.

So let's imagine for a moment that we get a new home instance in Cantha, but the twist is that you get the guild hall tools to place some decorations and move them at your will. Of course it would be more limited and on a much lower scale, but it would certainly be more accessible for everyone to have fun with those tools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Geckoo.6018 said:

So let's imagine for a moment that we get a new home instance in Cantha, but the twist is that you get the guild hall tools to place some decorations and move them at your will. Of course it would be more limited and on a much lower scale, but it would certainly be more accessible for everyone to have fun with those tools.

They'd have to rebuild the whole decoration system, since decorations currently don't exist as objects. Instead they go directly into the guild stash, and I don't think we want guild members fighting over who is allowed to take the potted plant out of the guild stash and put it into their home instance 😉.

Personally I don't care for housing. If I want to be creative, then I'll go play minecraft, especially since that one doesn't put me into a personal instance but rather lets me shape the full world and cooperate with the rest of our (private) server to really build our own space. Visiting other people's houses in MMOs doesn't really captivate me either. I used to be a big Sims fan, but not even ESO has enticed me into doing more with housing than using it as an extra storage area.

I'm not big on fishing either, although the sticker book approach most games have to it (as in: achievements to "catch them all") does motivate me to spend some time on it occasionally 😉 . Same could be said for mounts before PoF though, so I'll keep my verdict until EoD is out and I get a first-hand view of what they've made of it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Geckoo.6018 said:

I do not believe that the game needs a housing system as other games have, but more customization on your home instance would be more than welcome. Right now is basically a static collection of nodes, guild halls exist on a much bigger scale and in a more cooperative way for them to be something that can work well as your own customizable space.

Yeah I don't disagree with you, but I doubt the people who ask for a house system expect it to be simply "more customization on your home instance".

• Like 1