EoD is a $30 Patch.....

31 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

there just isn't enough content here to warrant a full expansion and the price that comes with.

Hmm. A couple of new maps. More story to play. New instanced group-content. New gear to grind (purely optional though). New elite specs which basically translate as new classes/jobs/professions in other mmo's. Isn't that exactly what other games sell as an expansion? Oh, of course GW2 made the mistake to give every race female AND male gender right from start, so they can't keep up with competitors on this "big feature", true.

Comparing HoT, PoF with what we've seen so far from EoD - yeah, it's not overwhelming, but not underwhelming either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, yoguil.7320 said:

Hmm. A couple of new maps. More story to play. New instanced group-content. New gear to grind (purely optional though). New elite specs which basically translate as new classes/jobs/professions in other mmo's. Isn't that exactly what other games sell as an expansion? Oh, of course GW2 made the mistake to give every race female AND male gender right from start, so they can't keep up with competitors on this "big feature", true.

Comparing HoT, PoF with what we've seen so far from EoD - yeah, it's not overwhelming, but not underwhelming either.

Other games give new raids, dungeons, races, PvP mode and sometimes big housing features or completely new features. Without a full year with any new content.

EoD gives only maps/jobs/story and... FISHING 😂

Then GW2 fans will complain about GW2 lack of content, lack of players for fractals/raids/event or that PvP matchmaking is horrible.

Will be too late 😉

Edited by Mizuira.8245
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

Hoped at least for overland Spear or a new weapon type or at least the Tengu as a playable race. It was a bit underwhelming. Wondering if they reveal that later. The fact that only 16 (again) legendary weapons are planned implies that overland water weapons aren't at thing. It is a bit underwhelming, but I am still excited for I loved Cantha back then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I was hoping for secondary professions and elite skill capturing. Stuff that made guild wars great. I can fish already in other games. Way to catch up to 2007 I guess.

This exactly.

Boats aren't a feature, they are an already existing mount.

Fishing isn't a feature, it's from the early 2000's....we have games literally trying to push the limits with 500 on 500 bg's and massive universes to traverse....and then here we are in our game in 2021....we got fishing!

Edited by Luclinraider.2317
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

12 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

This exactly.

Boats aren't a feature, they are an already existing mount.

Fishing isn't a feature, it's from the early 2000's....we have games literally trying to push the limits with 500 on 500 bg's and massive universes to traverse....and then here we are in our game in 2021....we got fishing!

You have no idea how these things will be implemented so your conclusions are nonsense. Just because these are elements you don't find value in (even though you have no idea how they are implemented in the game) doesn't mean this release isn't 'expansion-worthy'. If you don't want to buy it because you don't like the features in it then don't. You don't have to. But let's be clear here ... there isn't anything unreasonable about what was revealed to us if you look at other expansions. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Mizuira.8245 said:

Then GW2 fans will complain about GW2 lack of content

Haven't done a scientific analysis on that topic. So from purely anecdotic observation I'd say the only "fans" complaining are those who always complain no matter what. And they do it for years instead of looking for a game better suiting their wishes/needs. A strange form of Stockholm Syndrome?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I fully expect a flying multiplayer mount. They kept saying "multiplayer mounts" with an 's', so that'll be a neat thing to have, not just in Cantha, but the rest of Tyria too.

Playable Tengus wasn't announced, which is not okay. If the reasoning is because there's no time to remodel every single outfit, just make Tengu unique outfits. Tengu models are already done, now they just need animations, which are easier to make than you'd think. There is absolutely no reason why there can't be some kind of compromise for this to be a new feature.

I'm excited for EoD, personally. The new especs are the most exciting part for me, and I'm willing to pay 30 bucks for that alone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

My last post was harsh. I am happy to see the multi player vehicles. They are a system that players can use to expand how they experience Tyria. A way to invigorate old and new zones alike. The emphasis on "playing with things" over "playing for things" is what kept me playing GW1 for so long and I hope GW2 can do it too.

1 hour ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

Their big features are a mount.....you know....something we've had multiple times in a patch already......

A skiff....something that already exists as mount...this isn't a new feature.

And, Fishing.....something that is literally a patch....about as big and feature heavy as our sitting in chairs patch.

People leaving WoW in mass and multiple new MMO's coming out, GW2 needed to deliver a reason to come to our game...instead they told everyone to steer clear because they charge expansion prices for patch content.

What were they thinking?

Also, it's true, there could be tons more they are holding back on....but if this is the case then they need a new Marketing Director. Whoever did the PoF reveal needs to be brought back. Otherwise, there just isn't enough content here to warrant a full expansion and the price that comes with.

So, by your logic, you're saying there are no new maps, elite specializations, mastery lines, strike missions, legendary weapons, etc? It really feels like you are selectively excluding more than half the reveal (probably closer to three fourths) to fit a preconceived narrative. 

Also, we know the expac is in February, meaning we are still 6 months away from launch. It's a little early to grab the pitchforks.

Edited by Blaeys.3102
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 10

2 of the 3 known masteries are about mounts - siege turtle and skiffs.  At least one of the 4 will be for another mount, probably one that will let you carry a full 5 person party.  The 5th mastery will be some new map traversal mechanic, something similar in effect to nuhoch wallows, jumping mushrooms, updrafts, or thermal tubes.  Those are my guesses.

There are some hidden gems in what was shown.  The potential for HoT-class metas and the potential for the mob skills/mechanics increasing with mob rank are really great ideas, IMO.

What I don't see is any game-changing mechanic to draw people back like gliding and mounts.  I mean, if you had to highlight one feature of HoT and/or PoF to convince someone to come give the game a try, would it have been something other than gliding or mounts, respectively?  So what's the hook you're going to use for EoD?  Fishing?  It wouldn't entice me.  And I'm saying that as someone that will be purchasing the expansion for both of my accounts. 

From a purely marketing perspective, OP's correct.  You lead with your big hook, you don't lead with your second and third tier features and announce your big hook later on.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Thundabolt.8541 said:

I fully expect a flying multiplayer mount. They kept saying "multiplayer mounts" with an 's', so that'll be a neat thing to have, not just in Cantha, but the rest of Tyria too.

Playable Tengus wasn't announced, which is not okay. If the reasoning is because there's no time to remodel every single outfit, just make Tengu unique outfits. Tengu models are already done, now they just need animations, which are easier to make than you'd think. There is absolutely no reason why there can't be some kind of compromise for this to be a new feature.

I'm excited for EoD, personally. The new especs are the most exciting part for me, and I'm willing to pay 30 bucks for that alone.

Playable Tengu never made sense. Sure there is the animation and equipment factor. There is also the factor that within the game, they wouldn't be able to slot in well with previous content/story and it would therefore make zero sense for a Tengu to be the Pact Commander. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

This has been discussed ... Anet is highly unlikely to introduce a playable race that may need to be limited to outfits because of remodelling because their whole business case for the game is based on people dressing up their characters. It just doesn't make sense. Besides, that remodelling isn't JUST limited to armor ... it would be necessary for the current outfits too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Faridah.8431 said:

Playable Tengu never made sense. Sure there is the animation and equipment factor. There is also the factor that within the game, they wouldn't be able to slot in well with previous content/story and it would therefore make zero sense for a Tengu to be the Pact Commander. 

There's no need to make them pact commander. They could have their own personal story that takes place in Cantha, and when you complete that story, you get to travel to Tyria.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Thundabolt.8541 said:

There's no need to make them pact commander. They could have their own personal story that takes place in Cantha, and when you complete that story, you get to travel to Tyria.

Sure and I made a similar post last week or maybe before then, but I highly doubt the scope of this expansion would be that big. You'll probably get the standard 5ish new maps and one storyline.

Edit: That said, would be happy to be surprised.

Edited by Faridah.8431
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Faridah.8431 said:

Sure and I made a similar post last week or maybe before then, but I highly doubt the scope of this expansion would be that big. You'll probably get the standard 5ish new maps and one storyline.

Edit: That said, would be happy to be surprised.

5 new maps? That's hopeful. lol

• Confused 6

6 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

5 new maps? That's hopeful. lol

There are 4 from what we can see on the EoD site. Shing Jea, Kaineng, the Echovlad, and a map around the Harvest Temple it looks like.

The Jade Sea, more of the city, and probably a bit more of Shing Jea, will likely be the LWS6 map zones, like how Elona was expanded upon in LWS4.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

There are 4 from what we can see on the EoD site. Shing Jea, Kaineng, the Echovlad, and a map around the Harvest Temple is looks like.

The Jade Sea, more of the city, and probably a bit more of Shing Jea, will likely be the LWS6 map zones, like how Elona was expanded upon in LWS4.

Oh, true. I forgot about the area around the temple. Looks like it could be pretty interesting and dark. Might be a big contrast from what we've seen so far and likely come into play further along in the story which is why they didn't want to show it off just yet.

Two of the features coming with the expansion are things players have been asking for since release and since PoF—fishing and 2-person mounts respectively. Is giving players two things that have been asked about for years bad now?

Elite specs = new classes without having to roll a new character or start from scratch

New masteries = new levels/reputations to work on

New maps = new maps

New strikes = new dungeons

A new boat "mount" = a new type of mount (speed, flying, usable both on ground and in the air, etc)

Fishing = new profession

New continent = new main story quest

That's starting to look a lot like expansion-level content for $30USD.

Also you're ignoring that what was revealed was a fraction of what will be included with some of it shown in a rough alpha state and are glossing over the tech advances for the engine to get things like player-controlled boats that are solid for everyone but that player, or how after trying in PoF to figure out how to make a 2-person mount work because of how the engine links characters they finally managed not just that but were able to add extra features on top of it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1