What do you do with your level 80 booster?

3 hours ago, Keet.3142 said:

Mine is irritating me by occupying a shared slot I want to use for something else.

I have more Tomes of Knowledge than required to level a new character to 80. I also have two unoccupied character slots since I deleted some alts last summer.

Furthermore, I don't intend on making a new character if there won't be a new race. Ergo, I used up the Booster to free the slot. :classic_wink:

Edited by Ashantara.8731

I enjoy creating new characters occasionally, so I will likely use it on a (possibly) temporary character to replay some story instances I haven't played in a while, maybe grab some of the black lion keys from the story along the way, without having to worry about leveling between story parts. This way I'll be able to jump right into living world/expansion storylines, too.

• Like 2

If you just want to get rid of the boost you can use it on a character who is already level 80. They'll get the items it gives but their build won't be changed.

The one from HoT I used because it was around then I decided to make 1 of each profession so I used it to level a warrior because I always find them boring to play and I didn't want to level them manually. The one from PoF I just used on an existing level 80 character to get rid of it, which is mildly annoying because later on I decided to make a new elementalist and engineer to be a weaver and a holosmith, but I had more than enough Tomes in the bank for both so it wasn't a big problem.

I haven't got EoD yet but I'll either use the boost to instantly level my norn pirate (since we know we're not getting tengu so I don't have to save the name for one) so he can be a deadeye and use a rifle, or I'll use it on an existing character to get it out the shared slot. I'm not going to leave it in there because a shared slot is more useful to me than the boost.

• Like 2

I have this excel spreadsheet which keeps track of which race/class combos I have already made.

It started off as trying to have a sensible overview over which race/class combinations I could think of themes to make a character around. Then it moved on towards getting my favorite classes on a race I enjoy watching. Then finally it turned into a list of:"what am I actually still missing?"

So with this boost I'll get my 35th character, a Charr Warrior, to 80. Not that I wouldn't have enough tomes, which veteran doesn't, but rather that the remaining race/class combos didn't interest me to much (mostly light armor charr and norn). Maybe some time in the future I will have all race/class combos.

The added bonus is that with full legy equip, I can immediately give new 80 characters a full build and purpose (I have a dedicated WvW character roster for example).

That said, I can really make a use of that additional shared slot. Which is the main reason to even use the boost in the first place.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1

I'm trying to avoid getting to the point where I have every race/class combo.

I started off with just the ones I wanted most (ranger, elementalist, engineer and thief) then I added a guardian and mesmer, then I got to 1 of each profession, then I added a 2nd elementalist and engineer because I wanted to play both elite specs but they didn't fit my existing characters (also that brought me up to at least 1 of each race/gender), now I'm seriously considering a second thief.

I'm trying to tell myself it's not worth trying to make some sort of 'pattern' or matching set beyond 1 of each profession because I've got 2 light armoured female sylvari so nothing short of every race/profession would make sense and 45 characters would be absurd for me because I don't have enough time for the ones I've got now, but I have a feeling the total is going to keep creeping up anyway.

You have a character that you've taken the time to explore with, to complete tasks with, to level it naturally to 80. 

You like that character's race & profession BUT really wish you'd chosen a better name, &/or designed its appearance differently. 

You can't, or don't want to invest in a Name Change Contract, or a Total Makeover Kit, or an Identity Repair Kit, which includes both of those items. Then I think that the boost represents a fairly painless option, to correct any problems you have with an otherwise well appreciated character. 

Bank anything you want to keep from the character & then delete it. Create a new one with your preferred name &/or appearance, use the boost & retrieve the banked items.

In addition to having a character that you're more comfortable with, you also receive a free, really decent package of items, that you'd otherwise have to pay a lot of gems for to purchase.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level-80_Boost

The only catch is, if you have more than one boost, then the remaining one/s will still occupy an inventory slot. That slot isn't available until the boosts have been used.

You will have lost your original character's journey, its "history", but otherwise, I can't think of a down side to these level 80 boosts.

Note: Your characters "history" obviously includes its age, so birthday gifts would be reset to age 0. Also, I think that any NPCs you've unlocked with the deleted character will disappear from your Home Instance. 

I've never actually used a boost, so if in doubt, please ask about it, so someone who has used one can comment. 

Edited by Stelawrat.6589
To clarify "history".
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

At the very least they should be moveable from the shared slot. I have 2 shaared slots: one has 2 boosyers eternally trapped in it, the other a Salvage-o-matic.

If you really feel that you'll never regret using the boosts on throw away characters, then you may as well create a new character, boost it, collect the special rewards package, bank everything, delete the character & repeat, to remove the 2 boosts & free up the slot. 

Or maybe, you could wait for the inventory slots to go on sale & keep the boosts in reserve, just in case. 

5 hours ago, Dante.1763 said:

For now it sits, i just..dont have any reason to boost a character unless they add a new rsce or class and ive got 400 tomes in my bank so any character i already have will get boosted that way.

If you have that many tomes, you can safely discard the Level 80 boost by using it on any character. It will give you all the boosters and gear and you will have a free additional Shared Inventory Slot.

Edit: ...as soon as the Lvl 80 Booster has been re-enabled by the devs, that is. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1