Why does it get a million times harder?

This is the second time I've done the PoF quest that made me quit for over a year the first time and makes me want to again. The game has some difficulty up until the quest where you have to kill that guy at the camp where it takes me so many tries that it's miserable. I'm either doing it completely wrong and there's a trick or it's the worst addition to an otherwise great game.

• Confused 5

2 hours ago, Fatalis.4368 said:

This is the second time I've done the PoF quest that made me quit for over a year the first time and makes me want to again. The game has some difficulty up until the quest where you have to kill that guy at the camp where it takes me so many tries that it's miserable. I'm either doing it completely wrong and there's a trick or it's the worst addition to an otherwise great game.

If you're having that much trouble with a story mission, it's usually something wrong with your build. The game gets progresivelly harder, especially in the expansions, to force you to consider how you're building your character. Are you using the correct stats for your build? Is your equipment mismatched? Are you using exotic or ascended (you should at lvl 80), etc...

Check build guides on various sites to help you decide.

Which profession and build are you playing? What gear are you using?

Feel free to post your gear and build here so people can give you tips.

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Fatalis.4368 said:

Please message me when you see me online. We can do it together.

• Like 7

Are you talking about the herald of balthazar? if so you have to go slow and not set off the alarms. I take out the guys that run first then i kill the rest. Depending on what part you are on, if its the forge camp in open world you just have to know the snipers positions and use some cover if melee. If ranged like a necro or ranger its really easy. If its the instanced story then you have to work your way around killing the sentries that run to the braziers. Use the bombs kill them before they sound the alarm. Once they are dead you can pick off the rest and clear for the boss. If you run in there and dont prep the area first you will die.

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 1

Don't forget it's a multiplayer game. There are no story missions where you have to have 2 or more people to complete it but you always have the option of asking up to 4 other people to help if you're struggling to do it alone.

You could ask your guild/s for help, or if you can let us know whether you're on the NA or EU servers anyone here who is in the same region could come and help you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LSD.4673 said:

The guy at the camp is horrible. But does anyone remember fighting the woman at the place? The one with the weapon who says things? Now that was a hard fight.

And the monster in the mountains! How did we ever get past that one? Or the enemy in the woods!!

• Haha 7

It really gets harder later in story and honestly that really depends on your build and sometimes even class you play.  When we had a fight with scruffy 2.0 alot of peeps cried that it was way too hard. Idk if they nerfed it or not, but as a  somewhat hybrid holosmith it was kinda piece of cake. 🙂

Edited by KrivukasLT.3507

1 hour ago, KrivukasLT.3507 said:

It really gets harder later in story and honestly that really depends on your build and sometimes even class you play.  When we had a fight with scruffy 2.0 alot of peeps cried that it was way too hard. Idk if they nerfed it or not, but as a  somewhat hybrid holosmith it was kinda piece of cake. 🙂

Scruffy was never all that bad. Relative to other enemies it has decent telegraphs on its attacks.

Maybe if you tried to facetank it on a non-facetanking build then it can be hard.

Uh ...also was scruffy the fight that required throwing orbs back at it ? It was around there but cant' remember if it is the same fight.

7 minutes ago, Fatalis.4368 said:

So that I won't have to make another thread, how can I get more PoF mastery points? I can't continue until I get the shard things and one of them I think you need the jumping mount to get to.

They are all over the maps and fairly easy to get to, just attuning like a hero point. There are also some that are from achievements, some easier than others. Just a matter of finding them, in the achievement panel there is a list of them, also on the wiki.

Edit: Cyninja.2954 linked resource above is amazing 🙂

Edited by LuRkEr.9462