Forum Reaction System [Merged]

If this reaction system is here to stay please can you slap down the names of the persons who reacted to the post or (prefered option) remove it.

These Reaction emoji's make no sense if its anonymous, if someone likes the post, show who likes it, if someones confused show whose confused.

However, as listed above the removal of this system would be prefered as its way too 'facebooky'.

As an additional note, when are imbedded images coming back for users to post with?

(I know you think you're being funny by slapping down X number of reactions on a post, its not. I legitamately want to know when someone has REPLIED to a message and not reacted to. Its generally more annoying than helpful, a massive mistake to add it to the forms with no options to disable it on own posts or to remove all notifications from said reactions. All those who have reacted to this post have actually confirmed it is only used as a method to troll.)

Edited by Smoosh.2718
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 20
  • Sad 4

I think it's cute and fairly harmless.  I've gotten a few confused emojis on my posts when I'm saying something positive about EoD and I just find it kinda funny.

If you were told who was using what, I feel it would cause even more trouble than you getting them anonymously.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Xanhawk.3806 said:

I think it's cute and fairly harmless.  I've gotten a few confused emojis on my posts when I'm saying something positive about EoD and I just find it kinda funny.

If you were told who was using what, I feel it would cause even more trouble than you getting them anonymously.

This. In the end, it doesn’t matter. I figured out quick, thank you ignore feature, who was confuse-spamming me for the longest. Far from annoying, I found it amusing and telling. Either way, life is too short to sweat nonsense over an Internet forum.

In the military, we have a saying. “If you’re not three-effing me, I don’t care what you think,.” or words to that effect. The three ‘Fs’ are finance, feed, and I’ll let everyone figure out the last one.

It might help to apply that philosophy to your forum browsing. 😊

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Like: I agree (Upvote)

Confused: I disagree (Downvote)

Haha: You are funny. Sometimes /s

Sad: QQ some more!

This is how I see it as well, I mean the "Thanks" confused me for awhile but as you put it, makes the most sense. 

Confused will always mean downvote to me 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It's also frustrating that post reaction notifications are tied to your other notifications (such as someone quoting or mentioning you) so you either deal with a ton of notifications or you have to check frequently threads you posted in if you don't want to miss anything.

It just seems to have not been thought out and was included because other forums have it, as does Facebook.

48 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Like: I agree (Upvote)

Confused: I disagree (Downvote)

Haha: You are funny. Sometimes /s

Sad: QQ some more!

Yep. I've seen sad in what I assume was a "This wasn't what I wanted to hear but thanks" capacity, but usually it's used like you said.

• Sad 1

Can you please either remove the Confused and Sad emotes or at least add names to who reacted with what.. right now, I see that especially the first one is more often than not being used almost to troll and it contributes nothing to a thread... just a bunch of Confused reacts on posts and no way for the author of that post to reply to the one who added that reaction. And then it's pointless.

Just like this suggestion will probably get the same reacts too...

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

5 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

It would be great to find out who my hatescriber is.  

Id love to know whos going through all my comments...AT THE SAME TIME amd putting the bloody confused emote on em. The 30 freaking notifications are annoying as kitten and i have to scroll through them to find replys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Xanhawk.3806 said:

I think it's harmless, but that's because it's also meaningless.

"Someone, somewhere is confused by this, or they might be using 'confused' as a special code to mean something else but that meaning depends on the person" is useless information. Sure it's easy to ignore but that makes putting it there utterly pointless so we may as well get rid of it.

I actually like the idea of putting a name to it. I'm on another forum which does that and I think it makes people a bit more thoughtful about how they use it, and it also makes it more meaningful because you can match up their reaction to their post and understand what they're disagreeing with or confused by or like or whatever.

I find the like and thanks buttons useful because if that's all you've got to say on the subject it can feel pointless to make a post for it, and I think it makes sense to have some sort of 'dislike' button to balance them out so it's clear when an idea is divisive rather than simply popular. (Importantly I think neither button should change the visibility of posts, either hiding them or moving them up/down the thread, but as we've never had that here I think it's unlikely to be a problem.)

But I think anything beyond that is unnecessary. More ambiguous reactions don't add anything to the discussion without more context so if you're confused or upset or angry or whatever it would be better to say so that to click a button and leave someone to guess at what you mean.

(Well done, whoever inevitably put a confused reaction on this post as soon as you saw me criticise the confused reaction. You are very smart and very funny and no one else has ever thought of that entirely original 'joke' before.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dante.1763 said:

Id love to know whos going through all my comments...AT THE SAME TIME amd putting the bloody confused emote on em. The 30 freaking notifications are annoying as kitten and i have to scroll through them to find replys.

Gave you a Confused for the funnies.

But yea, I liked the old system more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Off topic i know, but its funny to me that necroed posts get kitten on, but everyone points to the search function..which is what usually leads to necros.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Well, ideally, if one were to use the search function to find older threads on a topic -- and then read the threads -- they may find that their point has already been made or discussed and then they wouldn't need to add yet another pointless post which revives a necro'd thread.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Doing God's work xD

Emoji system is fine. Wuoldn't mind additional options though. Anyway, since this forum is moving backward in time, some day we will be a forum from the early 90ies again and there will be no emojis.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I really miss the 'Helpful' marker. You were able to just skip the trash-talk and head straight for the answer of the question, the solution of the problem or the most offensive insult in the entire thread - depending on the topic.

I'd rather switch with you @Smoosh.2718. Getting bombarded by confused-emojis sounds so cheerful. Regards to my personal fanclub o/

I happen to mention them once in a while. A handful of special people. Same as with you, my content gets checked. Not every post, but for certain topics and sub-boards they analyze every syllable. If what they read does not fit into a certain category of content, things become a little more difficult. In the best case, they start bashing me and flood the topic, so my stuff is flagged as false/negative or even harmful. The majority of posts say are different to what I wrote. If you have one functioning brain-cell, do the exact opposite of what I wrote. 

In the worst case, they pm other participants in that thread's discussion. They advise them to straight up ignore what I wrote and abandon the topic. How do I know? One of the pmed users told me about it. o/

Let me get this straight. I do not want other people to get harmed, to get harassed because of me. So I decided to lower my forum-activity drastically. I skip most of the interesting threads, avoid certain topics strictly and stopped writing about one topic completely. In addition I do no longer visit certain sub-boards anymore.

Who would have thought that some people could take a game, let alone the public discussion-forum of that game with such a level of seriousness? Even my bullies in school have not been that persistent.

Yes @kharmin.7683, I know this is off-topic. My sincerest apologies. But it sort of fitted to the original post of this thread, not the one it is about to get merged with. You are correct as always. I just became a little tired of hiding. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I find the like and thanks buttons useful because if that's all you've got to say on the subject it can feel pointless to make a post for it, and I think it makes sense to have some sort of 'dislike' button to balance them out so it's clear when an idea is divisive rather than simply popular. (Importantly I think neither button should change the visibility of posts, either hiding them or moving them up/down the thread, but as we've never had that here I think it's unlikely to be a problem.)

blockquote widget

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Have you considered that maybe it is you who needs to change so you're not so easily offended by something that isn't offensive? It's not a middle finger emote, spit emote, racist emote, sexist emote, violence emote, or an offensive emote of any kind. It's just an innocent emote that shows somebody disagrees. People being insensitive and causing harm to others is a major problem, but people being too sensitive and creating issues is also a problem.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Silly notes:

I usually disable notifications, because it notifies you even if the post isn't responding to you (a quote of a quote of a quote). As a result, it's completely useless.

I usually go through my post history to find updates. The funny part is that it simply adds all your reactions together. So if you give me 1 heart and 6 confused, I just see those 2 icons but a total of 7 so I think everyone loves my posts.

I've been keeping my posts shorter because it seems no matter what they're too confusing. To be fair,. I tend to meander a lot, and would put a confused icon too on my own post.

On a side note, that always makes me curious about places with upvotes and downvotes. On Reddit, you can  downvote your own post, making me wonder if anyone intentionally downvotes their posts and then goes "why did people down vote me?"

Maybe they should change it to the "confused" condition icon. A lot of Mesmer mains may just be doing it out of habit.

I think it's very troubling that people give me a weird emoji. It really keeps me awake at night. I'll sleep on my pile of (whatever they were envying)

Many of you have probably not seen what really negative reactions to a post are. I remember once someone sent me a extremely long in-game mail about how I was a terrible person for being fine with removing crafting stations in WvW and how I destroyed the game, despite the fact I sorta miss them too. It was extremely heartfelt, although I didn't know how exactly, since I deleted it in about 5 seconds. I forgot to mail back a https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Packet_of_Salt

Which kinda brings up the point that people will seek attention regardless, including writing long rants that anyone with 2 brain cells knows that the recipient isn't going to read. I guess it's a time saving feature for them to express their dismay at your crime of having disagreed with them. Maybe we're spared their pointless rants in that method? Actually probably not.

It's ok if you think I'm a terrible person if it makes you feel better. I'm the gatekeeper that kicks you for having 5% less benchmark dps despite the fact that I've left parties over people being kicked. I'm also the toxic WvWer that chases your poor lonesome across the map (but you forgot the part you camped and BM'd like of our 10 people trying to do their  sentry dailies with 5 people).

Sometimes I change my reaction around, just for kicks.

The point of this post is? I don't know either. I confused myself.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

Have you considered that maybe it is you who needs to change so you're not so easily offended by something that isn't offensive? It's not a middle finger emote, spit emote, racist emote, sexist emote, violence emote, or an offensive emote of any kind. It's just an innocent emote that shows somebody disagrees. People being insensitive and causing harm to others is a major problem, but people being too sensitive and creating issues is also a problem.

Fact is, I'd rather have a classic downvote or thumbs down button as indicator that someone disagrees with me, as opposed to a pointless Sad and/or Confused like we have now. I have no problem with negative feedback, just make it unambiguous and not hidden behind dumb, meaningless reactions. Especially anonymous ones in addition, because some forum readers tend to abuse it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

I don't understand why people have an issue with the emojis. I've reacted with the emoji myself a few times when I didn't have words to add to the thread but definitely had a reaction. It allows people to contribute without spamming. I don't see any reason why you need to see who is reacting though, if they are not sharing an actual worded opinion. 

The confusion emoji seems to represent an actual lack of understanding to me, rather than a downvote. There are some threads I didn't understand - either the writing was poor or the argument/suggestion/opinion was confusing. Like one thread was about how everything announced so far for the expansion was garbage and how no one will buy it. I didn't understand where they got that idea from so I used the confused emoji. 
The crying emoji I don't understand. 

What I hate though is getting notifications of these emoji reactions. Little noisy pop-up windows to tell me "someone reacted". Like...I can check back on a thread if I want to, I don't need the notification. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

Fact is, I'd rather have a classic downvote or thumbs down button as indicator that someone disagrees with me, as opposed to a pointless Sad and/or Confused like we have now. I have no problem with negative feedback, just make it unambiguous and not hidden behind dumb, meaningless reactions. Especially anonymous ones in addition, because some forum readers tend to abuse it.

Right? Id rather they get rid of all but the "Like:" button. Simply because it makes it so if you actually disagree with someone you have to say something, you have to type a reply, or you get no say. As is, they can spam "Confused" Give no feedback positive or negative, and leave. Who does that help?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1