Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

388 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Be careful what you wish for.  You'll end up with swimsuit outfits with garish shoulders and butt-capes.  Probably some weirded out snorkel or scuba mask with horns.

Well, that might actually be true. But in a rare fit of optimism I'll keep my hope we can get (at least) some of the stuff NPCs already have. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Actually we did have "town clothes" at one point. Then they turned those into endless tonics, and finally into outfits.  I am not sure how they were implemented the first time, because I could wear those little devil horns while in town clothes. When I used a lvl 80 boost on one of my old characters they must have had town clothes in their slots.  I opened that safety box, they give you when they force you into the lvl 80 gear, and there was a set of old clothes but they could not be equipped and they were grey quality and without stats. I vaguely remember that you could only wear town clothes in safe zones, and automatically reverting to armor when you left.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Actually we did have "town clothes" at one point. Then they turned those into endless tonics, and finally into outfits.  I am not sure how they were implemented the first time, because I could wear those little devil horns while in town clothes. When I used a lvl 80 boost on one of my old characters they must have had town clothes in their slots.  I opened that safety box, they give you when they force you into the lvl 80 gear, and there was a set of old clothes but they could not be equipped and they were grey quality and without stats. I vaguely remember that you could only wear town clothes in safe zones, and automatically reverting to armor when you left.

Those outfits had some bad choices too with those fat-thigh pants locked to most of them and bad choices of shoes (especially for Sylvari~ human casual shorts and shirt and... plant feet? why?) I used to use a town clothes outfit of just the shorts and no shirt or shoes with the boxing gloves but they merged a poorly put together outfit with them for some reason. Boxers dont wear shirts o.o Plus that was closest thing to a beach outfit.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I'm pretty sure it was when you went into combat mode, not when you left "safe zones" as I have a very specific memory of switching to town cloths and the wizards hat while working on that Spiral jumping puzzle very early on (like the first couple months of GW2's life). I'd only be automatically switched to my armor if I took damage or attacked something.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Definitely. Feels like we passed the "swimsuits in five miles" roadsign this Tuesday.

I don't see how these two have anything to do with each other though?

Changing tents in select areas still seem like the best solution here for me.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 9

The fact they did a maid/butler outfit before swimsuits gives weight in my mind to the explanation that having an outfit on each different rig that shows that much skin would give them fits (on a technical level). With some armors where mixing and matching allows you to show more skin than you'd otherwise be able to see, you can see where it's getting wonky if you look closely. And if you look at skimpier outfits in the game, the consistent pattern that I've observed is covering those parts where it would connect at bottom and top. Starborn is the one exception I can think of and it has a special texture to cover the skin. Very sus to me. 🤨

My bet is that if we ever do get swimsuits, those divides in the texture will be something you can see if you look closely and anet will whistle innocently and hope no one notices. Or they will make it a one piece swimsuit and then pretend not to hear feedback asking for a two piece. Happy to be proven wrong by them in the future, but I got my doubts....

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

So after the maid/butler release should we now expect gender-neutral swimsuits?

I do no fear the Nord mankini.

I am sure that there are folks who would like actual shorts for female characters instead of that kaki thing.

Go ahead and make bikini for male and female and separate swim shorts for both as well.

If they can't bear to make a two piece, a leotard would work, so long as males can wear it too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I do no fear the Nord mankini.

I am sure that there are folks who would like actual shorts for female characters instead of that kaki thing.

Go ahead and make bikini for male and female and separate swim shorts for both as well.

If they can't bear to make a two piece, a leotard would work, so long as males can wear it too.

🤢
How about we stick to "Gender norms" in this one last instance, please? Pretty please, with sugar on top?

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

🤢
How about we stick to "Gender norms" in this one last instance, please? Pretty please, with sugar on top?

Huh, I had assumed that it was the gender norms that were preventing swimsuits from being added to the game, political posturing and semantics.

If the rules boil down to bikinis for all or bikinis for none, then I will side with bikinis for all.

I suspect swimsuits are locked behind some social technicality.  

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

39 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Huh, I had assumed that it was the gender norms that were preventing swimsuits from being added to the game, political posturing and semantics.

If the rules boil down to bikinis for all or bikinis for none, then I will side with bikinis for all.

I suspect swimsuits are locked behind some social technicality.  

I...I...don't understand...has what most people wear to the beach changed drastically all of a sudden? Do the males of all ages not mostly wear trunks and sometimes speedos, and the females of all ages not mostly wear one and two pieces?  Unless this is no longer reality what....I don't know that I understand what you mean by "locked behind some social technicality" or "the gender norms that were preventing swimsuits from being added".😵

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

So after the maid/butler release should we now expect gender-neutral swimsuits?

Would you be upset if they were? Last I checked, every gender IRL has the ability to wear shorts, a one piece, a bikini, or a wet suit. ArenaNet has shown that they're alright with deviating from gender norms when it comes to clothing (maid outfit is the latest, but there have been previous instances of this) - so would it really be that surprising to see it applied to swim garments? They're just clothes.

And honestly, even if all we get after 10 years is the 'expected' selection (trunks/bikinis/onesies/wet suits assigned to the usual genders) I still think a lot of people would be happy. Apart from 'me no like it', I genuinely do not understand the opposition.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Would you be upset if they were? Last I checked, every gender IRL has the ability to wear shorts, a one piece, a bikini, or a wet suit.

And last I've checked, people don't randomly walk around in swimsuits (or wear them going for a hunt), so lets stick to changing tents with swimsuits being available in selected beach areas. I still think most people who claimed they wanted to use them in a fitting water/beach/summer-related activities would be happy.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 7

24 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And last I've checked, people don't randomly walk around in swimsuits (or wear them going for a hunt), so lets stick to changing tents with swimsuits being available in selected beach areas. I still think most people who claimed they wanted to use them in a fitting water/beach/summer-related activities would be happy.

Last time I checked, people don't "randomly" do any of the following:

ride dragons

ride bipedal reptiles

ride floating manta rays

use magic

murder bandits

are giant cats with horns

are made out of plants

wear full sets of heavy armour

Yet all of that is possible in GW2. So, by your very own logic, people should be fine "randomly" walking around in swimsuits in GW2.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Last time I checked, people don't randomly do any of the following:

ride dragons

ride bipedal reptiles

ride floating manta rays

fling magic around

murder bandits

are giant cats with horns

are made out of plants

wear full sets of heavy armour

Yet all of that is possible in GW2.

You seem to have missed the context of the post I've quoted.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 4