DX 11 WHEN?!

Ragnarox.9601

I think we should first question if we will ever get DX11 in GW2. By the time we have an answer on that, and the answer is yes, then it is time to ask when it may arrive.

But just changing the rendering path from DX9 to DX11 won't improve the looks nor the speed of the game by a bit. In order to achieve that, more improvements need to be made. And in my humble opinion: I think the visuals GW2 managed to achieve with DX9 are absolutely stunning this game is a tribute to the power of the old 3D graphics API. DX9 was really far ahead of its time.

If the OP had typed "DX 11" into the forum search box, these are just some of the threads they would have found:

(Can also type "DX 11" to get a different set of threads.)

The OP also might have seen the reasons that this isn't likely to happen:

ANet Johan, writing on Reddit in June 2015Which brings us to GW2. GW2 does a lot of processing, and much of it is done on the main thread. That is also where its bottleneck tends to be: The main thread. There are conscious efforts in moving things off the main thread and onto other threads (every now and then a patch goes out that does just this), but due to how multi-threading works it's a non-trivial thing that take a lot of effort to do. In a perfect world, we could say "Hey main thread, give the other threads some stuff to do if you're too busy", but sadly this is not that world.

As for DX9 and 32bit: Moving off of DX9 wouldn't buy us a whole lot performance wise, as all interaction with DirectX is happening on the render thread, which is generally not the bottleneck. Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit also does not really buy us a lot performance-wise. There are some optimizations the compiler is able to do with 64-bit that it can't do otherwise, but the actual FPS gain is minimal at best.(emphasis re-emphasized (the original quote just highlights the dependent clause))

There are some more recent quotes that amount to the same thing: ANet already regularly adds performance enhancements, upgrading to DX11 would supplant those without being as noticeable, and some of those improvements are eaten up by adding features to the game that need better performance.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:Let's just directly go to Dx12, because until that is done Dx14+ will be out

As long as they keep DX9-DX11 as an option because I'll be running Windows 7 for the next 5 years at minimum.

Win 7 is dead. New graphic cards do not even get drivers for W7 anymore lol

Nah.http://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:Let's just directly go to Dx12, because until that is done Dx14+ will be out

As long as they keep DX9-DX11 as an option because I'll be running Windows 7 for the next 5 years at minimum.

Nah.

Still dead, just because some people are too stubborn to upgrade does not count

@Malediktus.9250 said:

Nah.

Hey, I bought some expensive Broadwell EP / Skylake systems here, just to avoid that horribly incoherent Windows 10 user interface, spyware and unrequested candy crush installs.

And I have no plans anywhere near to leave my beautiful GW2 DreamScenes in the dust.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Nah.

Hey, I bought some expensive
here, just to avoid that horribly incoherent Windows 10 user interface, spyware and unrequested candy crush installs.

And I have no plans anywhere near to leave my beautiful GW2 DreamScenes in the dust.
 That's nice and all, but I have no clue as to what incoherent Win10 user interface you're referring to, mine looks just like my Win7 interface, nor have I ever received Candy Crush install requests...as for the spyware, I have nothing to hide, so I really don't care if they know what kind of system I have...as for other stuff, that is what virus/malware/spyware protection is for.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

Nah.

36% hardly seems like "some people". If we factor in the almost 3 years since Windows 10 released and has been the mostly required bundle for new PC systems, the rate of decline of win7 users or people switching is basically down to: if I buy a new machine, I have to take won10 with it.

Simply put, people running win7 are happy with it and unwilling to upgrade unless forced to currently.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Nah.

36% hardly seems like "some people". If we factor in the almost 3 years since Windows 10 released and has been the mostly required bundle for new PC systems, the rate of decline of win7 users or people switching is basically down to: if I buy a new machine, I have to take won10 with it.

Simply put, people running win7 are happy with it and unwilling to upgrade unless forced to currently.

Yup. I'm in that boat. Win7 works fine for me. I have absolutely no compelling reason yet to move to Win10.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

Nah.

Stubborn? Nah. I just prefer to use a finished OS rather than one that's in beta ;)

@Odinens.5920 said:

Nah.

Stubborn? Nah. I just prefer to use a finished OS rather than one that's in beta ;)

Ya know i see tons of complaints about windows 10 from people..but ive never had any issues running it myself. The UI is very simple(it is different than the ones before it), you can literally turn off everything that "spys" on you if you have any idea what you are doing with computers, and its not that intensive when it comes to strain on the system.

@Dante.1763 said:

Nah.

Ya know i see tons of complaints about windows 10 from people..but ive never had any issues running it myself. The UI is very simple(it is different than the ones before it), you can literally turn off
everything
that "spys" on you if you have any idea what you are doing with computers, and its not that intensive when it comes to strain on the system.

2 reasons I have no intention of getting Win10 until I absolutely have to -

1 - the fact you have to go in and turn everything that spies on you off...why is this even a thing?2 - updates updates updates....I'd rather not be forced to DL updates/changes to my system

@Odinens.5920 said:

Nah.

Ya know i see tons of complaints about windows 10 from people..but ive never had any issues running it myself. The UI is very simple(it is different than the ones before it), you can literally turn off
everything
that "spys" on you if you have any idea what you are doing with computers, and its not that intensive when it comes to strain on the system.

1 - the fact you have to go in and turn
everything that spies on you
off...why is this even a thing?2 - updates updates updates....I'd rather not be forced to DL updates/changes to my system

i wish i had another choice but i couldn't make windows 7 installer see and install into my m.2 nvme drive, only linux and windows 10 was able to. if not for that and some directx12 games i wouldn't be on windows 10 :)

regarding #1 → yeah i hate this thing i had to google guides and search on reddit how to turn off every. single. spyware-ish thing that comes with windows 10 turned on by default. #2 → i don't mind the updates my bandwidth can handle it but yeah it's annoying having to restart sometimes.

@Odinens.5920 said:

Nah.

everything

1 - the fact you have to go in and turn
everything that spies on you
off...why is this even a thing?2 - updates updates updates....I'd rather not be forced to DL updates/changes to my system

The first i can understand completely i suppose, why its a thing, because ye are owned by internet companies(im kidding of course) but thats the logic im sure, they want to know what to sell you.The Second..i have auto updates turned off, and unless its a major bug fix ive never had to download updates(which i will agree its irritating to have happen in the middle of something because you Cant turn off auto updates unless you have the business version)

@Ragnarox.9601 said:When are we getting dx 11 or 12? Even older games like Planetside 2 and World of Warcraft have thos or gonna have in few months.And in those old games performance has generally gone down from going DX9->DX11 and then gone down again from going DX11->DX12 for virtually no change in visual quality because of the move. In fact the only API that seems to be decent at being modern and maintaining similar speeds to DX9 is... Vulkan.

When are we getting it for GW2?

When there is a reason for it I suppose?

So I guess never.

Archived