Is This New Skin Pack Some Kind of Joke?

@"wrathmagik.3518" said:3 of the 5 skins are just the same skin with with different COLOURS!

Now we're paying for default COLOURS?!

I can hardly believe this.

Not just the dye channels, but also patterns:https://i.imgur.com/OQZ1ZdB.jpg(credit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/c8bfve/fashion_takes_flight_with_the_skyscale_ascension/)

• Like 1

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"wrathmagik.3518" said:3 of the 5 skins are just the same skin with with different COLOURS!

Not just the dye channels, but also patterns:
(credit:
)

They look so similiar I honestly didn't even notice. That's not any better.

I don't understand why they not just sell singular skins. I would've feel much more prone to buy something when i don't have to plonk down 30 euros, or grind the gold, for a few default skins. I really don't see why they should aim only for the whales who want to spend loads of money on this game rather than those who casually want to buy something.

By that I mean, 2000 gem packs are not something I lay down the gems for that often and think about twice or thrice before actually deciding if that is really worth it. If it were maybe 400 to 1000 gems with, less content but smaller increments I would feel much more compelled.

And I did pay the money for the War Eternal Supply-drop as that was actually a good deal, or at least interesting.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:I don't understand why they not just sell singular skins. I would've feel much more prone to buy something when i don't have to plonk down 30 euros, or grind the gold, for a few default skins. I really don't see why they should aim only for the whales who want to spend loads of money on this game rather than those who casually want to buy something.

By that I mean, 2000 gem packs are not something I lay down the gems for that often and think about twice or thrice before actually deciding if that is really worth it. If it were maybe 400 to 1000 gems with, less content but smaller increments I would feel much more compelled.

And I did pay the money for the War Eternal Supply-drop as that was actually a good deal, or at least interesting.

Agreed. I'd probably buy one of them if I could but I don't need or want all four. I'll wait.

Many of the skins for the original mounts offer similarly small changes, color patterns, more dye channels, small details. To me it seems like it would have been better to include them in the next set of Mount skins (like the Instani, Desert Racer, Exotic, etc.) that you can get one randomly or pay more for one of your choice. I like the bioluminescent skin but not enough to pay 2k to have all of them, personally.

• Like 1

Well best part of Gem store is you don't have to buy anything from it: The choice is yours. Also seeing as though the vast majority of Gem Store stuff is just pure cosmetic we actually don't need any of it, even a lot of the functional stuff we can make do without it: It just adds QoL. Sure there are similarities between the skins but what do you expect 5 skins for 2K gems when you only get 1 Skin (albeit quite funky designs) for: Griffon Grand Lion, Shimmerwing Skyscale Skin, Dreadnought Raptor Skin etc. The Branded and Bioluminescent skins are pretty cool ( I actually prefer each of these to the Shimmerwing which was 2K alone), the rest are well just nothing special at all (as you say the other 3 virtually the same). I actually prefer the option of packages like this as well as the Mad Realm 5 pack mounts rather than the RNG lottery 400 Gem or 1200 Gem choose your own. If you compare these options, and you are after a particular few skins then its very unlikely you will land them with the RNG choice (players I know that tend to do this, buy up multiple skins - as many as 25 skins to unlock as many as possible), but will still cost you 2.4K gems just to unlock 2 skins when you can select your own choice. With this comparison I don't see anything wrong with the price point of 2K Gems, even if 3 of them are very similar (Axejaw at least has different head animation than other 2). But really you don't need any skyscale skins, as I think the standard Skyscale Dragon is pretty cool in the first place. Ofc would have been better if they'd made the original skyscale 4 dyes: But ofc Anet wouldn't do that as its a nice marketing ploy, knowing a good % of players will cash on the skins from Gemstore.

Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly where I read it, but in some analysis of marketing/business strategy column many MMO developers target as little as the top 3-5% wealthiest players in their marketing rather than the masses, knowing full well that these rich players will generate the vast majority of their income since they will purchase all of the top price Cash Shop items.

• Haha 1

People will buy it, but for me, there just wasn't enough variety in each skin. At least with the warclaw, we had a distinctly different skin in the mix.

A slight disappointment, but it freed money to spent on a different game in the end (and poss the mist outfit)

It was known ahead of time from previews they would be sold in a pack: and it was clear that some are...less exciting than others. It is not my favorite way to get skins.

Still bought them because I'm a mount junkie, but not feeling like I got great value for the price, even though (after paying cash for the Fairy Dragon skin) this time I just sold all my mats and mystic coins over the weekend while the exchange rate was good. (See you much, much later than I planned, Binding of Ipos!)

I can't say I like the dye options much on the Axejaw, Caldeara or Flash-marked skyscales. I would love to see some screenshots, if someone comes up with some nice, striking-looking color patterns for these three skins! Caeldara looked kind of cool with all fire/Primordius colors, but everything else I tried looked either very dull or like a kid had mashed together various colors of play-dough. Celestial as a main color also gave it a sort of interesting, melted-birthday-cupcake look.

And sadly, all these skins seem to have the old problem of very noticeable pink areas.

The Bioluminescent and Branded ones seem pretty decent, though.

So, it's nice to have more Skyscale variety, but if it was a choice between these five and the gorgeous premium skin at the same price, go for the premium.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:I don't understand why they not just sell singular skins. I would've feel much more prone to buy something when i don't have to plonk down 30 euros, or grind the gold, for a few default skins. I really don't see why they should aim only for the whales who want to spend loads of money on this game rather than those who casually want to buy something.

Agreed, the War Eternal supply drop was a great deal and something fun to look forward to each week! =) For 2k gems I want variety or I must really love it (I’ve bought four premium skins).

I'm not sure why anyone expects that MountFits are any different from Outfits or Armor Sets or Weapon Sets. Some are going to be "must buy" at 2000 gems; some abject failure for even a discounted 240 gems (RNG or not). And the "fail" will be someone's "must buy" , the "must buy" someone's facepalm.

I didn't buy the Warclaw set because I only liked one skin enough to plunk down 400 gems. I'm not worried or mad, though: they'll release some other MountFit that I do like. Same with this set. I think maybe I'd buy three at 400 each, none for 1200, and the package isn't worth 2k to me because the Shimmerwing was my "must buy."

tl;dr don't like it? don't buy; wait for the next one

This is perfect for me. I really like the basic Skyscale shape, and mainly wanted some more dye channels for it. This set gives me some generally subtle shape variance and a choice of patterns to choose from. I doubt they'd been available singley for less than 800 each. I think the scale textures are a lot better on the ones in this pack as well. I look at the Branded skin as a bonus for buying the pack. I'm sure that's going to make some salty, but what else were they going to do? If they start adding the skyscale skins into the other packs, those who already bought those will complain. Maybe they'll do something like this for the Roller Beetle as well.

@wrathmagik.3518 said:3 of the 5 skins are just the same skin with with different COLOURS!

That's how the warclaw mount pack was. It's how all the mount adoption licenses are: different patterns / more dye channels, or barely different base shapes. This is not new, why are you acting as if it was.

The only real issue around is that they're not sole individually like the adoption licenses.

think i heard pretty much the same complaint from the community when mount adoption license first came out, people basically just want 1 or 2 of a skin of a single mount, others the changes were so small if a player have it on and run pass you you will not notice a difference from the default skin

Im happy they seem to make branded skins for the other mounts maybe beetle will get one aswell. ( dident they say in the preview video that they dident want to make skyscale branded. )Not going to plunk down 6k to get branded warclaw, beetle and skyscale tho.400-600 each skin is more like what I personaly see myself paying for em.

I think this was an attempt to cash in on art mostly already done or close to done, not a joke.

Graphic artists will often produce multiple versions of a piece. I suspect what happened with this set, and the first of the mount adoption licenses way back when, was that ANet took the versions that were not chosen for the base model and monetized them. In this case, I also suspect they added the Branded version, rather than that it was one of the outtakes. Time needed to "brand" a skin might explain why the pack released this long after the base mount.