Is This New Skin Pack Some Kind of Joke?

I like them better now that I've had time to putter around more with dying them...the Axejaw and Flare-marked were not as difficult to find a good look for as the Caldera, which I had spent the most time on before the previous post. If anyone wants to see them, I posted screenshots in the skyscale color schemes thread.https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/81108/skyscale-skins-dye-schemes

@wrathmagik.3518 said:

@wrathmagik.3518 said:3 of the 5 skins are just the same skin with with different COLOURS!

Now we're paying for default COLOURS?!

I can hardly believe this.

Not just the dye channels, but also patterns:
(credit:
)

They look so similiar I honestly didn't even notice. That's not any better.

Well, I'll try again.

There are 3 parts to the mount skin:Shape/TextureDye ChannelsDye Pattern

The default skin has only 1 dye channel, but all paid skins have 4. But even if you have two skins that have the same Shape/Texture as the original and also 4 dye channels, they can have different dye patterns which do impact how the skin looks.

The Bioluminescent one is, I think, the best of the lot, but I am also using the Axejaw (on both my Charrs :heart: ) and I'm working on colour schemes for either the Flare-Marked or Caeldera (haven't decided yet). Also worth noting is that, at least on the Skyscales, the same dye is rendered differently on the various skins. So if you have a particular dye combo you like that syncs with your character, you might find different results depending which skin you try.

@Blocki.4931 said:Since I like 3 of the offered skins this was a good deal for me.

Glad I can have some variety and am not forced to sit on Shimmerwing and get bored of it quickly.

That is precisely why I held out. I knew the Shimmerwing would look great on my Asura Engy, Human Necro and Guard, but would look silly with all of my Charr. I also didn't want to have to use the same skin on all my characters. Now with the pack, I'm using at least 3 of the skins so I get more variety. The Axejaw looks really good on my Charr - the difference in jaw and horns just makes them look more angry and war like.

At first I was disappointed in the Skyscale skin pack too, only wanted two of them. Then I went to Lion's Arch to hang out and see others' new looks. One person in particular -- big thank you shout-out to "Hairflip Ragequit" (also BEST name I've seen in ages!) -- politely modeled the new skins and various dyes for me, and sold me on the pack. Others were also showing wonderful dye combos.

Honestly, ANet, you are not doing yourself any favors by showing the new skins in the dullest, ugliest dyes imaginable. I realize not everyone has tons of rare dyes, but you could make better default looks from just the starting dye pool.

Also, I'm finding this thread very inspiring: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/81108/skyscale-skins-dye-schemes#latest

[moderator edit: quoted comment was moderated]

Usually when you see someone make this statement, it means the poster is speaking emotionally and not factually. You are angry at ANET, ok, but that doesn't contribute much to the conversation.

Explain how mounts skins have degraded the quality of the game and led to players leaving the game.

As for interest in the game and gem store, I can tell you from observation, that mount skins generate more topics in game and on forums than most gem store items. The gold to gem conversion tends to spike heavily as well when mount skins become available., so I'd say players have quite a bit of interest in them.

I've been waiting for more Skyscale skins, I like having a variety of dyes to make my own unique looks and so forth. Personally, I have no issue with this pack, admittedly I don't mind the store as much as others do. Do I think it's pricey? yes.. extremely. Though those funds are the only bit of income Anet get to preform updates to GW2. So I cannot really complain that much, without that store I doubt we'd have a GW2?

As for the skins themselves I love 3 of the skins, and I've got different looks and dyes matching my characters outfits.

It's important that people remember nothing is forced on players to buy, it's completely optional. If you don't want those skins there isn't any need to buy them, wait for something you like that comes out.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:they don't need white knights defending them.

Usually when you see someone make this statement, it means the poster is speaking emotionally and not factually. You are angry at ANET, ok, but that doesn't contribute much to the conversation.

Explain how mounts skins have degraded the quality of the game and led to players leaving the game.

As for interest in the game and gem store, I can tell you from observation, that mount skins generate more topics in game and on forums than most gem store items. The gold to gem conversion tends to spike heavily as well when mount skins become available., so I'd say players have quite a bit of interest in them.

When you price gouge with regular releases, you cause burn out, at best making people lose interest in participating in the skin game, or at worst losing interest in the game altogether and moving on. Mount skins should have been an awesome source of revenue for Anet, but they miscalibrated it from the beginning and still won't acknowledge it.

Even if mount skins are somewhat popular, they are not as popular as they should or could be, with many, many people deeming them overpriced and not fooling with them beyond maybe getting one set for four dye channels. If the premium ones were 10-15, i probably would have bought all of them by now. At 25, I have bought none of them - and I can afford it. I can promise you I'm not alone.

Here's the deal - Mo tried used the price of premium mount skins in WoW to justify the $25 price of skins in GW2. However, it doesn't work that way, and this is one of many examples showing that GW2 does not have the best leadership behind it. GW2's mount and shop systems are a lot different - skins are only available through purchase, are released regularly, and there are 8 different mounts that you make use of in different situations not to mention a ton of other things you can buy skins for.

That combination of factors makes $25 a skin outrageous to the point that it rightfully generated a huge backlash on the forums and it's nearly certain a lot fewer people buy them than would if they were more reasonably priced. This is also probably why more of them haven't been made.

@Zeike.7469 said:I've been waiting for more Skyscale skins, I like having a variety of dyes to make my own unique looks and so forth. Personally, I have no issue with this pack, admittedly I don't mind the store as much as others do. Do I think it's pricey? yes.. extremely. Though those funds are the only bit of income Anet get to preform updates to GW2. So I cannot really complain that much, without that store I doubt we'd have a GW2?

As for the skins themselves I love 3 of the skins, and I've got different looks and dyes matching my characters outfits.

It's important that people remember nothing is forced on players to buy, it's completely optional. If you don't want those skins there isn't any need to buy them, wait for something you like that comes out.

Good for you what about people that like 1 skin let say branded since they got the branded pack.Are they just out of luck in your eyes or forced to buy 4 skins they dont want?Since its 400 each skin why not put it in as a lone skin for 400-600 maybe.

• Like 1

@"Witch of Doom.5739" said:At first I was disappointed in the Skyscale skin pack too, only wanted two of them. Then I went to Lion's Arch to hang out and see others' new looks. One person in particular -- big thank you shout-out to "Hairflip Ragequit" (also BEST name I've seen in ages!) -- politely modeled the new skins and various dyes for me, and sold me on the pack. Others were also showing wonderful dye combos.

Honestly, ANet, you are not doing yourself any favors by showing the new skins in the dullest, ugliest dyes imaginable. I realize not everyone has tons of rare dyes, but you could make better default looks from just the starting dye pool.

Also, I'm finding this thread very inspiring: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/81108/skyscale-skins-dye-schemes#latest

I got gems. Previewed the pack. Decided not to get the skins. Next day. Saw quite a few absolutely gorgeous options. Bought skins.

Amazing what different dyes will do.

I bought this pack because I will use at least 3 of the skins, bringing the cost down to 667 gems each (rounded up) which is well below my personal 800 gem limit for buying mount skins. But I didn't buy the warclaw pack because I only like 2 of those skins, so it's not worth it for me.

I definitely think they should offer a way to get these skins separately like the do for the adoption/select licence packs. I get that 2,000 gems for 5 skins is 400 gems each, the same as adoption licences and the skins in the themed 5-packs for the core mounts. But that only works if you want all of them. If you just want one then it's 2,000 gems with the added "bonus" of 4 useless skins.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Wrong time to lean on the gold to gem spike this round :p .

@Linken.6345 said:

@Zeike.7469 said:I've been waiting for more Skyscale skins, I like having a variety of dyes to make my own unique looks and so forth. Personally, I have no issue with this pack, admittedly I don't mind the store as much as others do. Do I think it's pricey? yes.. extremely. Though those funds are the only bit of income Anet get to preform updates to GW2. So I cannot really complain that much, without that store I doubt we'd have a GW2?

Good for you what about people that like 1 skin let say branded since they got the branded pack.Are they just out of luck in your eyes or forced to buy 4 skins they dont want?Since its 400 each skin why not put it in as a lone skin for 400-600 maybe.

Totally a better idea than having a pack, or have both available, and the pack would be cheaper than buying all 5 skins individually. As I said the pack is pricey. Having individual skins on store over a pack would overall solve the issue, but the method of which you put the questions to me was if I had a say in the matter, and I don't.

It's a market play sadly.

@"Randulf.7614" said:Can those who bought it, who haven't used excessive neon colourings, post some images? I may change my mind, but I want to see some more "earthy" combos and how they turn out first.

It's not comprehensive on dyes, but you can see how low/earthy tone affect the particle effects, and there's a couple of Aerial down shots to show wing patterns.https://imgur.com/a/WtfrwHJ

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:Can those who bought it, who haven't used excessive neon colourings, post some images? I may change my mind, but I want to see some more "earthy" combos and how they turn out first.

It's not comprehensive on dyes, but you can see how low/earthy tone affect the particle effects, and there's a couple of Aerial down shots to show wing patterns.

Hmm yes, that's a bit more like it

@wrathmagik.3518 said:3 of the 5 skins are just the same skin with with different COLOURS!

Now we're paying for default COLOURS?!

I can hardly believe this.

Where have you been? How is that news to you? People have been paying for mount colors since PoF (well almost day one).Actually people have been paying for colors since the game realeased. Cause you know dyes are (were?) being sold in the gem store.