Are emotes an adequate reward for completing meta acheivements? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Are emotes an adequate reward for completing meta acheivements?

Maybe for a role player these might be fun
i surely have no need or want for emotes as a grand prize for quite alot of hard work. it just doesnt feel sufficient or something i want to work towards.
Emotes used to be added for free / no grind.

Are emotes an adequate reward for completing meta acheivements? 150 votes

YES. Im happy with emotes as the grand prize for a map meta acheivment.
40%
WhatLiesBeneath.9018videoboy.4162Matt H.6142Rauderi.8706Loosmaster.8263Danikat.8537Manasa Devi.7958DietPepsi.4371Dante.1763Donari.5237Ayrilana.1396Randulf.7614Musaroxy.2874StarDroid.1038Ameepa.6793yann.1946Cronospere.8143yoni.7015Substance E.4852flog.3485 61 votes
NO. i dont want emotes as the grand prize for a map meta acheivment.
59%
Siobhan.6027SidewayS.3789mikansei.5742Arzurag.7506Glider.5792cNd.1096Karmapolice.4193RoseofGilead.8907Yol.1685DeanBB.4268tinchpinch.8651Milea.6043Blude.6812Haleydawn.3764UnDeadFun.5824leila.7962kurfu.5623Hashberry.4510catalyst.1358Super Hayes.6890 89 votes
<1

Comments

• Lambent.6375Lambent.6375 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020

I want them to bring badges back if it's possible

Im on the fence about emotes as a reward, no vertical progression so they have to be creative.

@FOX.3582 said:
    A freaking chair. Woah. I personally can't wait to buy a gem store CHAIR, so all my characters can SIT around in Tyria while other players see me, SITTING there, looking like a [email protected] ...

• Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭

@DarkRam.1572 said:
    i surely have no need or want for emotes as a grand prize for quite alot of hard work. it just doesnt feel sufficient or something i want to work towards.

And what reward would you want instead?

• NO. i dont want emotes as the grand prize for a map meta acheivment.

Would have prefered to see the Jora outfit as the Meta reward... not Gem Store exclusive for once...

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sobx.1758 said:

@DarkRam.1572 said:

Weapons.
    Weapon skins.
    Armor skins.
    Mount skins.

A cosmetic that I can constantly see..

I do not do achievements, but if there a really good looking skin, I may go for it. Why the kitten would I do that for a kitten emote?

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

Since I do not use them unless the game forces me, I would say no.

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

I do rp, so more emotes are handy. But the main reason I said I'm happy is that almost every map meta reward skin has not suited me at all (I don't like bulky spiky stuff) and yet has involved a space-using item to tuck away until I can at least reskin it for an alt to use for stats. I've loved -some- of the skins, mind you, but if I'm going to get a reward I don't use much, I'd rather it took up no slots.

Also, somewhat contradictory to the above, I feel less time pressure to work on the meta achieve. I'll get it eventually, but I can get by without the extra emote for a while. That lets me relax in doing the map stuff.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@DarkRam.1572 said:

The exact same thing can be said for a skin that someone thinks is ugly or an ascended trinket they could gotten much more easily from a vendor.

• Zexanima.7851Zexanima.7851 Member ✭✭✭✭

For me? No. For someone else? Yes.

Depression and anxiety are the worst...

edited January 29, 2020

@otto.5684 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@DarkRam.1572 said:

Weapons.
    Weapon skins.
    Armor skins.
    Mount skins.

I do not do achievements, but if there a really good looking skin, I may go for it. Why the kitten would I do that for a kitten emote?

Emotes are for casuals, but armor/weapon skins aren't, oookeeeey.

If you don't do the achievements, then I don't see the problem. Also you have vastly greater choice of skins than other people have a choice of emotes. Variety is k. Claiming that everything out of your spectrum of interest shouldn't be in the game is weird. (you didn't make that claim, cool, but OP complains about them being a reward and when I asked him a question you answered, soo...)

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

We have enough means of getting new skins in releases, they don't also have to be rewards for finishing a large bunch of achievements too. Not a perfect solution, but better than just more meaningless skins.

I rather choose death.

• Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭

I don't think locking emotes behind achievements is something clever to do. I'd like to have the rewards back that were before or perhaps the system that was used in living story season 2. But then on the other hand, you can get ascended stuff too easy already without doing achievements. A mount skin or something like that would be nice but I doubt that will ever be implemented.

I'm Hunter, he/him
    Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/charactersgw2

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sobx.1758 said:

@otto.5684 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@DarkRam.1572 said:

Weapons.
    Weapon skins.
    Armor skins.
    Mount skins.

If you don't do the achievements, then I don't see the problem. Also you have vastly greater choice of skins than other people have a choice of emotes. Variety is k. Claiming that everything out of your spectrum of interest shouldn't be in the game is weird. (you didn't make that claim, cool, but OP complains about them being a reward and when I asked him a question you answered, soo...)

Variety is okay, and I am not here to tell anyone what they should like. However, in game achievements require time, and the value should be equivalent, like in real life, things have monetary value based on what they are. Do brand new cars sell for a $100? Can Anet sell the next expansion for $10,000 (if there ever to be one)? I am sure someone thinks $100 is correct value of a brand new car, as I am sure someone will be willing to be Anet $10,000 for a GW2 expansion. Needless to say, the actual value (or fair market value as the IRS would call it) is so much different.

As this thread currently stand, 62% of players do not think it is adequate.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't use emotes much, but then I don't use many of the meta achievement skins either so I don't mind either way. If the meta achievement reward was the only new thing we got then I'd care what it is, but we're still getting new armour skins introduced with episodes, plus weapon skins, mini pets and various other stuff. I'll make an effort to unlock the stuff I want to get, no matter how it's obtained and I'll probably unlock other stuff anyway.

Also as far as I remember these are the first emotes to be added to the game since How To Dance which if I remember correctly was released in the first year, so in a sense this is a new kind of reward we've got had before. That does risk 'diluting' the ones we already got, because the more kinds there are the less frequent each kind will be, but even so I can't help thinking more options can't be a bad thing.

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"If someone really cared, well they'd take the time to spare, a moment to try and understand another one's despair"

• Kaliwenda.3428Kaliwenda.3428 Member ✭✭✭

I really wanted the /rockout emote and the only way I was able to get it was to do the WvW reward track. (I'm really glad that was an option. ) :)

I'd rather not have something like that locked behind the meta achievements.

To be completely honest, I find it insane that you have to do all achievements in a chapter to obtain an emote. Other chapter masteries dont require you to do all achievements to get the mastery reward. For example, to get mastery for the Whisper in the Dark, you just need 20 achievements completed and you get a Boneskinner backpack. For Bound by Blood and Shadow in the Ice, you need to complete all 37 or 57 achievements to obtain an emote. If they really want an emote as a reward, then do it for the completion of the story chapter not story achievements.

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭

I like it a lot. I think it's a creative solution, and to me it feels like something that permanently alters my account. Unlocking a skin doesn't have the same feel to me, probably just bc of the novelty of the emotes. Note that I don't actually use the emotes or the skins much . . .

Before I read the thread I would have also expected emotes to be something ppl feel less pressure to unlock, which would cut down on some of the complaining about cheeves. But after reading the thread I guess that isn't true . . .

edited January 29, 2020

@otto.5684 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@otto.5684 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@DarkRam.1572 said:

Weapons.
    Weapon skins.
    Armor skins.
    Mount skins.

Variety is okay, and I am not here to tell anyone what they should like. However, in game achievements require time, and the value should be equivalent, like in real life, things have monetary value based on what they are. Do brand new cars sell for a $100?

Ingame achievements have nothing to do with monetary value. EVEN if the episode wasn't free. But it is. So not sure what's the point of your $100 car comparison. It seriously doesn't apply in the slightest.
    Also, just like you said: if you want something from the achievements, you do them. If you don't? Well, you skip it. The rewards aren't hidden, it not the gamble, so what's the issue here? If variety is good (it is), then why are you arguing against it?

Can Anet sell the next expansion for $10,000 (if there ever to be one)? I am sure someone thinks $100 is correct value of a brand new car, as I am sure someone will be willing to be Anet $10,000 for a GW2 expansion. Needless to say, the actual value (or fair market value as the IRS would call it) is so much different.

And why are you arguing the opposites while talking about the car and an expansion? Why ask about vaastly underpriced car and try to compare it to the greatly overpriced expansion (that, again doesn't even apply to this thread at all)? I'm so confused by the comparisons you chose to use.

As this thread currently stand, 62% of players do not think it is adequate.

50% actually, but I don't think it's representative anyways, so w/e. :p

I wouldn't mind if they returned gw1 gambling emotes into gw2: /roll #, /rock, /paper, /scissors. I could go for some good player vs player gambling! Wait...I mean good-spirited sporting!

• Considering, over the years, there's been many a thread asking for new /emotes, I'd guess it's a way ArenaNet is trying to 'listen to the playerbase', or, at least, a portion of it.

Also, the 'rock out' emote seemed somewhat well-received, so that may be one reason we see another. /shrug

A lot of people rarely use emotes while playing, they could have added these emotes as part of the game and make the long achievement list be worth.
    I did the whole Grothmar achievements and i think i used twice the emote that was given as a reward.
    Arenanet did have a good idea with the wrong achievement though.. adding rewards for each tier that you've achieved (like on restored and illuminated weapons achievement), they could have implemented it on the meta achievement.

Dinosaurs are awesome!

• Rawr.
  • Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭✭

I never use emotes but as a meta reward it feels kinda unrewarding... As a normal achievement fine. For a meta achievement you want something that feels more grand... A special title, a special item, a nice skin (can also be a glider or mount one), a chair (not a standard one but one that looks good, gem store worthy chair basically), a decoration item or gather node that pops into your home instance... Something along those lines.

• YES. Im happy with emotes as the grand prize for a map meta acheivment.

"It's not the reward, it's the journey"

Although things like completing the other half of the map could be less offensive than a simple Rare weapon and one Transmutation Charge

Keriayn‌‌ | Asura | Necromancer
    Raven Evergloam | Human | Mesmer
    Astrid Bloodbourne | Norn | Guardian
    Pallu'Kaziel | Sylvari | Ranger
    Johanna Mordkönige | Human | Warrior

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, conditionally.

Achievements need to be fair and not time-locked. "Do the meta 20 times" is not something I would consider fair or interesting.

If the trend of unlockable emotes continues, we really need an emote tab to keep track of them.

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• Manasa Devi.7958Manasa Devi.7958 Member ✭✭✭✭

It doesn't really matter to me much, a cosmetic reward I'll never look at again or an emote I'll not be using a lot.

• Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020

It's fine, I just wish they kept it as a WvW/PvP reward track reward also. Luckily in this instance /shiver is not something I intend to use much even in Alpine BL.

• Anywhere I can preview new emote, cant find it on youtube?

• @Neo Mortem.3627 said:
    To be completely honest, I find it insane that you have to do all achievements in a chapter to obtain an emote. Other chapter masteries dont require you to do all achievements to get the mastery reward. For example, to get mastery for the Whisper in the Dark, you just need 20 achievements completed and you get a Boneskinner backpack. For Bound by Blood and Shadow in the Ice, you need to complete all 37 or 57 achievements to obtain an emote. If they really want an emote as a reward, then do it for the completion of the story chapter not story achievements.

Actually, for Whisper in the Ice, you need 37 of 49 (or, at least, 47; two of the 49 being hidden achievements).

• Xenon.4537Xenon.4537 Member ✭✭✭

Maybe they could put an armor or weapon skin as the reward... you know... instead of locking them behind RNG?

Seriously I was looking forward to earning the raven armor. Anet's idea of "earning" leaves a lot to be desired.

• Ameepa.6793Ameepa.6793 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020

I don't use backpacks at all and never use achievement reward armor or weapon skins, but I do use emotes so they are nice rewards for me :)

• Three of the pieces are 'earnable' (as in purchased after completed content).
    Not sure yet, how the other 2 pieces are attained.

• Jables.4659Jables.4659 Member ✭✭✭

@Sobx.1758 said:

(you didn't make that claim, cool, but OP complains about them being a reward and when I asked him a question you answered, soo...)

Are you going to finish your sentence? You kind of trailed off there.

• Musaroxy.2874Musaroxy.2874 Member ✭✭✭

As someone who enjoys emotes, I really do like that this gives me a reason to complete the meta achieves other than just to fill out my wardrobe. With that in mind though, I wish they were a little easier to get than this. (40-something achievements for the Grothmar Meta, ouch.)

"You know what they say: Curiosity pruned the Sylvari."

• Regh.8649Regh.8649 Member ✭✭✭

Yes but.... would prefer more idle and combat stances to be a thing

Formula for success: Rise early, work hard, strike oil.

• lare.5129lare.5129 Member ✭✭✭✭

I can't say that is is best and greatest reward, but it is more ok, that not good. Why not?
    I am casual player and don't see any bad in emote as reward.

edited January 30, 2020

@Jables.4659 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

(you didn't make that claim, cool, but OP complains about them being a reward and when I asked him a question you answered, soo...)

...you're clearly on the same bandwagon.

Seems pretty obvious, but if you needed that spelled out for you, then here you go :sleeping:

• lummuss.6850lummuss.6850 Member ✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020

why didn’t they provide other rewards besides emotes? Why only emotes? I find it useless to put emotes like reward, myself, I never used emotes in the game and I don't intend to use anytime soon. I think they should add more rewards (skins, weapons, equipment, among others), all of which include emotes, which I believe would encourage everyone to run after the achievements and, consequently, have a greater volume of active players.

• Vinceman.4572Vinceman.4572 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't care. Endgame content is what is needed so desperately.

R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

• YES. Im happy with emotes as the grand prize for a map meta acheivment.

They are good as rewards for now.
    A single amour piece isnt good enough for me if it's not a chest piece so it balances it out.

That being said if they pull this for more then 1 season I don't know how motivated I'll be to get the 11th new emote.

• ZDragon.3046ZDragon.3046 Member ✭✭✭✭

My question is why is there no pvp/wvw reward track for this one for the people who dont want to be forced to do achivements after playing the story. Im going to assume its an oversight because we are still in the same map.

Or unless its there and my 10 mins of looking for it the other day and i still missed it.

Also as someone else said new idle animations for different races / professions would be appreciated i would totally spend money on those lol.

• Frostfang.5109Frostfang.5109 Member ✭✭✭

I'd rather have a nice skin of some sort. Even faces, hairstyles , horns, fur-patterns... would be great!

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020

I see emotes as no different from the pieces of armor that we have gotten in the past. Both types of rewards have been requested by players and neither will appeal to all players.

• thepenmonster.3621thepenmonster.3621 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020

I'm simple: I want fashion wars.

• Jojo.6140Jojo.6140 Member ✭✭✭

I just unlocked the new emote and im actually really happy with it. That gives the ability for some nice new screenshots.

• XenoSpyro.1780XenoSpyro.1780 Member ✭✭✭

Yet another missed opportunity to have Mount/Glider skins as achievement rewards. Or maybe an account bound precursor with a Caladbolg-like collection restricted between Bjora and Grothmar leading up to an account bound Legendary.

• kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

I would be happy if it was just AP, emotes I have had turned off since the game came out and most cosmetics just sit in my wardrobe anyway.

I think the ones we got so far were fun and fitting the story. But concerning the next story updates I would prefer skins

• Jables.4659Jables.4659 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2020

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Jables.4659 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

...you're clearly on the same bandwagon.

Seems pretty obvious, but if you needed that spelled out for you, then here you go :sleeping:

I'm not on any bandwagon. I don't really care either way on this "issue". I just have a personal pet peeve with the whole "Well you did this, soooooo…." type of middle school girl speech. It doesn't really matter, I just can't help myself but to poke fun at it.

Edit: I just realized the band wagon thing was you finishing your sentence to the other guy.

• Cobra.6509Cobra.6509 Member ✭✭✭

I like Emotes, i use/enjoy them more than much of the reward skins I've got in the past. So more Emotes please.

• Adul.1520Adul.1520 Member ✭✭✭

I'm not too bothered by it because I'm already used to not being excited about the meta achievement rewards, I usually just do them out of a sense of completion. At this point there's not much they can add to the game that we don't already have tons of, so I guess that's fine.

What I would be more upset about is the requirement of doing strike mission achievements in a story journal meta achievement category that could, up to this point, always be completed solo. That said, I'm kind of over achievement hunting (and to an extent the game in general) so I can't actually muster up the mental energy to care deeply about it.

• Funky.4861Funky.4861 Member ✭✭✭

An emote as a meta-achievement reward actually discourages me from doing it. It's completely useless and has no value. I'd have been happier with mystic clovers, destroyer lodestones, an asc weapon/armour box a title, etc- any one of those would be more motivating for the amount of time and effort involved.