Updates for Brand-New Players — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Updates for Brand-New Players

Hi everyone,

We’re testing some improvements to the first steps adventurers take in the world of Tyria. Simple achievements are now available in the early levels to guide new players toward activities they might find interesting and award useful items and AP.

If you’re a mentor and players are asking for help in the starting zone, lend a hand! The achievements are available to veteran players as well and can be found in your achievement panel.

ETA: We are extremely excited about this update! So much so that we got a little ahead of ourselves and told you about it early. This will actually be coming to the game beginning February 25th, so consider this advance notice to get your welcoming parties ready!

Tagged:
<1

Comments

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2020

    These are live now?

    Edit - thank you for clarifying with the date

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

    New Player Experience 2.0? :/

  • zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Make the ps available when you exit the tutorial while you are at it.

  • Kunzaito.8169Kunzaito.8169 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2020

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    These are live now?

    I can't find them if they are. Some clarification if they're here or coming would be good, and what the section is called. I'm interested to see how they plan to point new players to that area specifically, since I'm guessing by the time most new players find the achievement tab and take the time to see what's on each dropdown they would long since have passed the point where basic (at least what I'm thinking of as basic) achievements would be helpful.

  • Thank you for clarifying.

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Gotta say, this is a welcomed surprise, Cant wait to see what they involve!

    Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @NovaanVerdiano.6174 said:
    That's great to hear. Hopefully they will help. In the same breath, would you consider turning the story back into its original format? I.e. a quest every 2-3 levels or so, instead of batches of 10. A lot of new players used the fact there's always a quest marker for guidance and it helped them a lot as it led them into level-appropriate areas, along with keeping a clear goal in front of them. It was probably one of the most common complaints friends of mine voiced when I got them to try this game

    but one of the reasons for the current version is because the old system was leading people to inappropriate places ...

  • Samug.6512Samug.6512 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2020

    @Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:
    Hey all,

    These changes are not live yet, but coming Very Soon.

    Is that Very Soon­® or literaly very soon?

    Edit: neverless, very good. Any changes to the first missions too by any chance?

    [NUKE]

  • @Fire Attunement.9835 said:
    Simple achievements are now available

    @Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:
    These changes are not live yet, but coming Very Soon.

    :trollface:

    I'm curious what kind of achievements these are. Says directing players to content, but I feel like something to help teach players how to play optimally is best.

    All these squares make a circle.
    All these squares make a circle.
    All these squares make a circle.

  • Hoover.6394Hoover.6394 Member ✭✭✭

    I always want to suggested a visual upgrade for the beginner story instance, just make thing prettier, make all models more detailed, to wow new user and keep them once they tried it

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Hoover.6394 said:
    I always want to suggested a visual upgrade for the beginner story instance, just make thing prettier, make all models more detailed, to wow new user and keep them once they tried it

    tbh i really think they need to overhaul all the core textures/effects to bring them up to par with the new ones.

    Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

  • crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭

    hmmm... smells like a bait to get vets going back to old maps, will see how long it lasts

    I hope it reverts back the starter experience back to the original what GW2 launch offered, and make dungeon story mode mandatory

    yes, player freedom is good, but too much confuses people because they dont know what to do

    [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • Cronos.6532Cronos.6532 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2020

    break bar tutorial hype

    complete a raid (25 ap) hype

    signature

  • Very exciting!

    Golemancer Tixx - Far Shiverpeaks (EU). Achievement Hunter (+37.5k) ~600 on the Leaderboards.

  • Chaba.5410Chaba.5410 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:
    Hey all,

    These changes are not live yet, but coming Very Soon.

    Very Soon (tm)

  • @Chaba.5410 said:

    @Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:
    Hey all,

    These changes are not live yet, but coming Very Soon.

    Very Soon (tm)

    25th of February 2020.

    Golemancer Tixx - Far Shiverpeaks (EU). Achievement Hunter (+37.5k) ~600 on the Leaderboards.

  • Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I can't wait for the changes but hopefully it doesn't cause such a major "paradigm shift" that it disrupts gameplay for more than a couple of weeks before people get used to the changes.

    There are alot of changes in there which will significantly alter how people approach content so idk if the game might straight up see a horde of people quitting due to the unpleasant sudden shift in gameplay.

    If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

  • Exciting news indeed!
    will be making sure to do the mentoring thing more often!

  • Cronos.6532Cronos.6532 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2020

    Could you also add collection achievements for every weapon set and armor set in the game that doesn't yet have a collection? It would increase the value of a lot of gear drops and encourage collection. Brand-new players are the ones picking up the most new skin unlocks, so it would add a lot of value to the core game.

    signature

  • @Cronos.6532 said:
    complete a raid (25 ap) hype

    This isn't very Beginner level though...

    The Charr Cosplay Fashionista Warrior! (Also a Bard!)

  • @Yasai.3549 said:
    I can't wait for the changes but hopefully it doesn't cause such a major "paradigm shift" that it disrupts gameplay for more than a couple of weeks before people get used to the changes.

    There are alot of changes in there which will significantly alter how people approach content so idk if the game might straight up see a horde of people quitting due to the unpleasant sudden shift in gameplay.

    You have information on the upcoming New Player (Experience) changes? Could you post them?

  • Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2020

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

    You have information on the upcoming New Player (Experience) changes? Could you post them?

    Check out the Global Patchnotes on Professions subforum.
    There are many many significant changes which will majorly impact gameplay.
    (one example is removal of Empty Vessel, leaving Ventari with NO stunbreak which will cause Rev healers in all content extremely vulnerable to being CC'd)

    If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

  • @WyvrnRipsnarl.5918 said:
    Can we have a CC Tutorial, pretty please?

    This.

    @Fire Attunement.9835 said:
    They might find interesting and award useful items and AP

    what is AP?

  • A suggestion, can we get something like a commander tag for people who need help on the map. So if we need help, we can put up this tag and other players can see on the map that I would need help with something, mouse over us to see what help we need with and join our party if they are interested to help :)

    Thank you

  • Teach people to use the break bar by all that is holy!!!

  • @Yasai.3549 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

    You have information on the upcoming New Player (Experience) changes? Could you post them?

    Check out the Global Patchnotes on Professions subforum.
    There are many many significant changes which will majorly impact gameplay.
    (one example is removal of Empty Vessel, leaving Ventari with NO stunbreak which will cause Rev healers in all content extremely vulnerable to being CC'd)

    That has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. (Simple Achievements for new players.)

  • @kanemi.4903 said:

    @WyvrnRipsnarl.5918 said:
    Can we have a CC Tutorial, pretty please?

    This.

    @Fire Attunement.9835 said:
    They might find interesting and award useful items and AP

    what is AP?

    Achievement Point(s)

  • Devildoc.6721Devildoc.6721 Member ✭✭✭

    @WyvrnRipsnarl.5918 said:
    Can we have a CC Tutorial, pretty please?

    Yes please. When you get to where you are doing world bosses with break bars, having players who join the event but do not participate in breakbars is frustrating because all these players do is scale up how much CC is needed to get through the break bar without contributing.
    A lot of players don't use the wiki, or forums, or any other source of information available currently. you have to put the information in front of their face and force them to learn it before they can continue or they will not learn it.

  • Acheron.4731Acheron.4731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:
    Hey all,

    These changes are not live yet, but coming Very Soon.

    is that WvW soon or PVE soon?

    Don't Worry, My Dutch is OK

  • Now I really wish I was a new player lol. I will still do them though.

  • lakdav.3694lakdav.3694 Member ✭✭✭

    Aside from the CC tutorial that everyone needs, I think we also need some synergy training as well. Combo fields and finishers. Traits affecting skills or each other. These new achievements should pop up somewhere in the leveling experience. For example, right as a character (or first character on an account) reaches the level to invest in traits, they should have the achievement eligibility icon above their utility skills. That eligibility icon should be clickable for more information, and in this case, proper explanation. "Select a trait that improves an equipped skill." And possibly give an early available example for every profession.

    The CC tutorial is probably best done in Personal Story instances. Maybe learning it throughout the Orders of Tyria instances, with the final boss of that string of episodes needing a break-bar breaking to be beatable.

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

    This is great news. I hope it's nothing like the old "hint completion" achievement and it's actually useful this time around!

  • @Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:
    Hey all,

    These changes are not live yet, but coming Very Soon.

    Are they coming with the Alliance System? :tongue:

  • @Yasai.3549 said:
    I can't wait for the changes but hopefully it doesn't cause such a major "paradigm shift" that it disrupts gameplay for more than a couple of weeks before people get used to the changes.

    There are alot of changes in there which will significantly alter how people approach content so idk if the game might straight up see a horde of people quitting due to the unpleasant sudden shift in gameplay.

    What are you talking about?

    Golemancer Tixx - Far Shiverpeaks (EU). Achievement Hunter (+37.5k) ~600 on the Leaderboards.

  • Very nice! I already planning level new character old school way (no scrolls) so suppose will experience these changes too. B)

  • I remember there used to be achievements way back when the game launched for viewing in-game hints. You’d get AP for viewing all the hints for doing stuff like reviving downed players, using waypoints, etc. It was removed from the game in the original “new player experience” in September 2014... I wonder if it’s going to be something like that, but better? It sounds like it, anyway. :) Hope it’s successful and it doesn’t stop at just early levels — people can definitely benefit from this sort of thing from expansions too, what with level 80 boosts existing and all.

  • @Fire Attunement.9835 said:
    Hi everyone,

    We’re testing some improvements to the first steps adventurers take in the world of Tyria.
    .....
    This will actually be coming to the game beginning February 25th, so consider this advance notice to get your welcoming parties ready!

    @Kunzaito.8169 said:

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    These are live now?

    I can't find them if they are. Some clarification if they're here or coming would be good, and what the section is called.

    seriously? Nothing will guide people if those people ignore the guidance ...

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2020

    Excellent, looking forward to this.

    While at it, please consider a slight rework of the New Player Experience as far as availability of story missions goes.

    Far back when NPE was implemented, story missions of the vanilla story were all clumped onto every 10 levels. Please consider reverting this change if possible to unlock story missions every few levels instead, as it was originally. The original system was a way better guide through zones, while the current one clumps the entire story bits into every 10 levels. The net result is: players turn level X0, rush the story, gain approximately 3 levels, then have to rely on events and other things to get the remaining 7 levels.

    This is a minor issue for veteran players, but would certainly affect new players who are not seeing new story parts for multiple levels, sometimes completely losing track of where to go and what has happened.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @bynkowski.9046 said:

    @Fire Attunement.9835 said:
    Hi everyone,

    We’re testing some improvements to the first steps adventurers take in the world of Tyria.
    .....
    This will actually be coming to the game beginning February 25th, so consider this advance notice to get your welcoming parties ready!

    @Kunzaito.8169 said:

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    These are live now?

    I can't find them if they are. Some clarification if they're here or coming would be good, and what the section is called.

    seriously? Nothing will guide people if those people ignore the guidance ...

    The date in the op was added later after the person you commented asked the question

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Another vote for "please ditch the 10-level-lock for story"--going through the first couple of times I really enjoyed the challenge of seeing whether I could succeed at a story mission despite technically being underleveled, much in the same way that exploring maps a bit above my current level can be fun. I can actually pinpoint the NPE change as why on all characters post-NPE I didn't bother to continue the main story, and just leveled to 80 instead, entirely skipping the rest of the story. Having to wait because I don't have the expertise/gear to succeed is fine. Having to wait because someone else thinks the story section should be a 3/10 difficulty to play it, with a near guaranteed success rate, leaves me as a player feeling patronized.

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Cyninja.2954 said:
    certainly affect new players who are not seeing new story parts for multiple levels, sometimes completely losing track of where to go and what has happened.

    Very much this!

    I still remember levelling my first toon, and feeling this way. As the Core personal story isn't necessarily in sync with the story of any given map, you find yourself pulled in two directions at once, and either you cease to focus on the core plot of Core Tyria, or you ignore the story of the local map and just focus on XP gain to get you to the next story mission.

  • @crepuscular.9047 said:
    hmmm... smells like a bait to get vets going back to old maps, will see how long it lasts

    I hope it reverts back the starter experience back to the original what GW2 launch offered, and make dungeon story mode mandatory

    yes, player freedom is good, but too much confuses people because they dont know what to do

    This. Goes a long way to guide people through the experience. Might bring back veterans who actually like dungeons help newer players and in turn maybe teaching them things about the game lol. There should be more ways to ramp people up into other forms of content in the game.

    I always thought the NPE changes were weird because there was no tutorials or anything to guide people along at the start. Just do whatever doesn't exactly bolster confidence in most people starting a game in my experience.

  • @Fire Attunement.9835 said:
    Simple achievements are now available in the early levels to guide new players

    Achievement unlocked: Pushed WSAD keys. Title: Hardcore Gamer.

    ...

  • @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

    @kanemi.4903 said:

    @WyvrnRipsnarl.5918 said:
    Can we have a CC Tutorial, pretty please?

    This.

    @Fire Attunement.9835 said:
    They might find interesting and award useful items and AP

    what is AP?

    Achievement Point(s)

    Thank you!