Have you ever regret a character/profession so much?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expand a bit. Why are you regretting making a ranger (which includes druid and core, too, btw - and druid is still prevalent in fractals/raids)?

You actually have to plan a bit on what pet you want to spend time merged with, now. I.e. wyverns are pretty great against larger amounts of trash mobs which you want to pile up, CC and take out fast - on top of good break bar damage.

In terms of single-target end game -content, nothing's changed. You'll still spend most of the time merged with a ferocious pet. The only thing that changed, pve-wise, is the amount of flexibility and ease you'll have soloing champion bosses, really. In PvP, it brought SLB closer to core in terms of how much 'freeway leeway' they got. No more warrior GS levels of mobility combined with druid's burst heal every 30 seconds, on top of all that free damage and CC.

So, I ask you, why do you feel that gold went to waste?

Engineer, this is my experience. I love my build, how its play. Balance patch (mainly a nerf engineer as always just nerf) ok now my build doenot work because they remove chane xyz. Find a new build I enjoy, blance patch, samething they remove/change something. Its the same over and over and over. Im sick of it dont want to try anymore... I dont even use meta build, I make them myself... Engineer is only a succession of disapointment...

I kinda regret making my ranger my first main. I used to like core pewpew ranger and support druid, but the constant nerfs to druid and the lack of pet choice (BiS expansion pets only) kinda ruined it for me. I also liked the old ranger sword autoattack, even if it was extremely unpredictable. I never really found soulbeast all that fun either.

It feels like anything a ranger can do, another class does better.

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:Expand a bit. Why are you regretting making a ranger (which includes druid and core, too, btw - and druid is still prevalent in fractals/raids)?

You actually have to plan a bit on what pet you want to spend time merged with, now. I.e. wyverns are pretty great against larger amounts of trash mobs which you want to pile up, CC and take out fast - on top of good break bar damage.

In terms of single-target end game -content, nothing's changed. You'll still spend most of the time merged with a ferocious pet. The only thing that changed, pve-wise, is the amount of flexibility and ease you'll have soloing champion bosses, really. In PvP, it brought SLB closer to core in terms of how much 'freeway leeway' they got. No more warrior GS levels of mobility combined with druid's burst heal every 30 seconds, on top of all that free damage and CC.

So, I ask you, why do you feel that gold went to waste?

I was intrigued by the easy-going nature of this class. You can literally play through most of the contents solo in the open world with this professions. While the pet thing is fun, I realise that when it comes to farming train, ranger is lacking behind. And because it's one of the activities I spend the most time on, and I find condi renegade performs better in this regard, my ranger is always on the shelf. Also the animations of ranger, regardless of weapons, are just not as fluid.

I spent a lot of gold on my ranger, thinking that it would be worth it. To get the leatherwork to 500 and then crafted ascended stuff. Cause I was using magnetite shard for another class. So now I'm just really regretting it .

@Westenev.5289 said:I kinda regret making my ranger my first main. I used to like core pewpew ranger and support druid, but the constant nerfs to druid and the lack of pet choice (BiS expansion pets only) kinda ruined it for me. I also liked the old ranger sword autoattack, even if it was extremely unpredictable. I never really found soulbeast all that fun either.

Exactly how I feel.

@tinyasian.8941 said:

@"Westenev.5289" said:I kinda regret making my ranger my first main. I used to like core pewpew ranger and support druid, but the constant nerfs to druid and the lack of pet choice (BiS expansion pets only) kinda ruined it for me. I also liked the old ranger sword autoattack, even if it was extremely unpredictable. I never really found soulbeast all that fun either.

Exactly how I feel.

Thankfully, we still got the DPS -department.

Spirits and stance share are mechanics no other class has.

Elementalist: I love range class, in other MMO, range mage (or range ranger) is my favourite, but this game is so weird that there's range attack but you can't even go range (melee stacking for buffs). Ele is also too squishy for doing fractal, not sure about now that I'm 10x better at that mode, but I started with that class & certainly did not have a good time until I changed to something else. They also nerfed it at one point to no longer being in meta, though it came back to meta later but I no longer desire to pick it up & learn this class's again with a different set of skills on a different weapon when it's still squishy, clunky (I'm referring to the need to pick up the 2x coujouring weapon from the ground god knows where it went under the cluster f), horrible to melee unless you have a godly reflex, and hard rotation (since it can be interupted easily by mechanics), plus it has no CC. It's like either you're really good at ele or you don't (imo), therefore she was sent to the flax farm permenantly.

How about the gear/runes/cosmetic that I wasted on? Well at least now she can kill bats beautifully and efficiently at the flax.

*I played fresh air tempest to be specific, but tried staff weaver after the change and didn't like it, I still think that ele as a whole just does not suit me, either that or I'm just too dumb to play this class :#

@Westenev.5289 said:I kinda regret making my ranger my first main. I used to like core pewpew ranger and support druid, but the constant nerfs to druid and the lack of pet choice (BiS expansion pets only) kinda ruined it for me. I also liked the old ranger sword autoattack, even if it was extremely unpredictable. I never really found soulbeast all that fun either.

+1 - Druid is the 2nd character I sent to the flax farm after the nerf, though it's still useful in raid, but I hardly raid so I will only undust her once in a very long time, but I've enjoyed using druid more than ele in fractal and since she got me so far in the hardcore game mode, she's still in a better possition than the ele I sent to the flax that I no longer use XD Thereofere I've regretted to create that elementalist but not druid.

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

@"Westenev.5289" said:I kinda regret making my ranger my first main. I used to like core pewpew ranger and support druid, but the constant nerfs to druid and the lack of pet choice (BiS expansion pets only) kinda ruined it for me. I also liked the old ranger sword autoattack, even if it was extremely unpredictable. I never really found soulbeast all that fun either.

Exactly how I feel.

Thankfully, we still got the DPS -department.

Spirits and stance share are mechanics no other class has.

Spirits and stance share are just not fun to use. Don't know, the animations or something, there's something that just doesn't gel with it no matter what the numbers say. And just too much work. I guess I'm just kinda regretting and tired of my ranger. :<

@Blueberry.8095 said:Elementalist: I love range class, in other MMO, range mage (or range ranger) is my favourite, but this game is so weird that there's range attack but you can't even go range (melee stacking for buffs). Ele is also too squishy for doing fractal, not sure about now that I'm 10x better at that mode, but I started with that class & certainly did not have a good time until I changed to something else. They also nerfed it at one point to no longer being in meta, though it came back to meta later but I no longer desire to pick it up & learn this class's again with a different set of skills on a different weapon when it's still squishy, clunky (I'm referring to the need to pick up the 2x coujouring weapon from the ground god knows where it went under the cluster f), horrible to melee unless you have a godly reflex, and hard rotation (since it can be interupted easily by mechanics), plus it has no CC. It's like either you're really good at ele or you don't (imo), therefore she was sent to the flax farm permenantly.

How about the gear/runes/cosmetic that I wasted on? Well at least now she can kill bats beautifully and efficiently at the flax.

*I played fresh air tempest to be specific, but tried staff weaver after the change and didn't like it, I still think that ele as a whole just does not suit me, either that or I'm just too dumb to play this class :#

+1 - Druid is the 2nd character I sent to the flax farm after the nerf, though it's still useful in raid, but I hardly raid so I will only undust her once in a very long time, but I've enjoyed using druid more than ele in fractal and since she got me so far in the hardcore game mode, she's still in a better possition than the ele I sent to the flax that I no longer use XD Thereofere I've regretted to create that elementalist but not druid.

Don't remind me of elementalist. That profession is so hard that it just kills all the fun of the game. I'm not a hardcore gamer, I prefer to just login and enjoy in easy mode, thus I chose ranger but still... Don't know, doesn't seem fun.

My condi renegade can kill so much faster without relying on pets. And the animations are prettier.

I'm thinking to reroll my support chrono to condi mirage since there's build template now. I can play her in open world!

Since I love playing Fashion wars, but can't stand having redundant characters, I've resigned myself to make 1 character for each class and each elite specialization. For example I have a Core Engineer, a Scrapper and a Holosmith - etc. I don't necessarily regret any of them but I definitely don't enjoy all of them. Revenant is powerful but I don't feel like it's flexible (and I absolutely hate the things TALKING to me. I always get startled EVERY time. I wish they would disable that.) I enjoy Core Mesmer, LOVE Chronomancer , I just can't get a grasp of Mirage and it's "dodge" mechanic. I like Core Elementalist, LOVE Tempest - but Weaver is a little bit of a drag because accessing certain skill combinations means I have to cycle through combinations which isn't fun when you need that ONE combination in the next 2 seconds. Spellbreaker is another oddball for me but I think that's just because I am terrible at timing.It's not that I REGRET spending money to buy character slots and making these exactly. They still serve the purpose of allowing me to play with character creation and give me a place to display skin combinations I am in love with but... I don't enjoy playing them. I regret THAT. I don't know what to do about that.I would love Revenant more if they gave us the option to turn off the voice (example: shiro, glint etc) talking to us randomly. Nothing worse than playing with the wardrobe, or crafting or doing inventory management when you suddenly hear them. I know it's for flavor but like the ho-ho-tron back pack, the novelty wears off. x_x

My Revenant.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love playing Revenant.I just don't like the race I picked.

Back when I made my Revenant, I made it a Norn purely because my Guildmates told me Norn master race.

I grew to like Humans and Asura over time, and Norn female's voice actress annoyed me on several occasions (Norn Female VA was kinda bad at the start though she did improve over the span of HoT and PoF, she still uses the old voice lines when gaining boons and for prof mechanics)

Yo Anet sell me a race change huh ;D

I made a ranger recently, now 80, soulbeast, all exotic. I just don't enjoy it. I made several rangers in the past and always deleted them.

I tried core, was meh, felt like the animations was slow with big cooldown, none of the utility felt helpful. I tried then druid and facepalmed myself by seeing I was doing 0 damages and that the worst enemy could kill me. Tried soulbeast, it just feels odd, I don't really get the merging, the first specialization trait choice is all about merging and I don't want to merge.... as said above, that class do what other classes do but worse. If I want to use bow, I just go renegade. If I want rifle I go engie, if I want sword I go guardian.... I will not speak about animations, when I play my holo or my weaver I see a kind of art, interesting to watch, ranger is just very basic to me.

I will surely delete my last created soulbeast for a mesmer. But mesmer, I kinda feel the same, and will only like mirage surely. Maybe another necro? I like necros.

I stopped playing quite a few characters over the years because I ended up swapping classes or builds and because I simply got bored of their aestetics. Yet I never regretted creating any of them as they all served their purpose for at least a short while. Gear cost becomes a nonfactor once you are fully covered in ascended or even legendary gear. Guess you aren't there yet. Alts are never a waste in GW2. There are also a lot of uses you can put them to.

@Henry.5713 said:I stopped playing quite a few characters over the years because I ended up swapping classes or builds and because I simply got bored of their aestetics. Yet I never regretted creating any of them as they all served their purpose for at least a short while. Gear cost becomes a nonfactor once you are fully covered in ascended or even legendary gear. Guess you aren't there yet. Alts are never a waste in GW2. There are also a lot of uses you can put them to.

I don't have legendary but I am equipped with full ascended for all light, medium, heavy. Just ranger is just a big regret for me.

I don't think so. I certainly have characters I don't play as much, for example my warrior is still using the level 80 boost gear because I've never gotten around to working out what I want to do with him, but I always experiment with professions before making them so I knew that going in. I don't tend to worry about exact builds so much as general themes, so balance changes usually aren't an issue. Also I have 11 characters so if I'm not enjoying one as much I can play another one, or just swap around which area/s of the game they do.

I regret every characterslot that I filled with another profession other then Ranger or Necromancer. And off course I felt I had to at least have 1 of each profession..... But I regret rolling the Elementalist and Engineer the most. They are all level 80 btw.

The Elementalist just has no survivability, I simply can not play one. And I made the Engineer because the Turret thing seemed like fun, but boy are those turrets weak and cumbersome. There aren't even traits that spice up any of them! Not fun at all which is a missed chance imo. After these two, the worst are Thief and Guardian, and then Revenant, Warrior and Mesmer. I amd a lazy and mediocre player(PvE only) so I like the Fire and Forget style that is the Scourge. By far my favorite class even after the nerf to Shades.

I also made full Wup Wup ascended for one of my Scourges when the Warclaw was released and I thought I might be getting more into WvW zerging but that never materialized. :) So that was a bit of a waste.

Needless to say I would not stand a chance in PvP 1v1 with any class. :)

@Danikat.8537 said:I don't think so. I certainly have characters I don't play as much, for example my warrior is still using the level 80 boost gear because I've never gotten around to working out what I want to do with him, but I always experiment with professions before making them so I knew that going in. I don't tend to worry about exact builds so much as general themes, so balance changes usually aren't an issue. Also I have 11 characters so if I'm not enjoying one as much I can play another one, or just swap around which area/s of the game they do.

I know people have mains, but I really don’t know how they can do that.

No because as a ranger player myself and one since the first game, the level of troll and flame we get hasn't changed much over the years, and therefore I take no notice and do what i want. She is wearing all my legendary gear (armour/weapons/trinkets) and will be my goto in most cases.My only regret is not the class but the race choices I made at the start. (i'm not a fan of norm and how the charr moves)

@tinyasian.8941 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:I don't think so. I certainly have characters I don't play as much, for example my warrior is still using the level 80 boost gear because I've never gotten around to working out what I want to do with him, but I always experiment with professions before making them so I knew that going in. I don't tend to worry about exact builds so much as general themes, so balance changes usually aren't an issue. Also I have 11 characters so if I'm not enjoying one as much I can play another one, or just swap around which area/s of the game they do.

I know people have mains, but I really don’t know how they can do that.

Oh I have a main character, more than half my playtime is on my ranger, but even so I could never play just one character. I've been playing RPGs for years so I have a pretty good sense of what I like and my main character is always a variation on that theme (in GW2 she's a ranger, in Elder Scrolls Online she's a warden, in DnD she's either a ranger or a nature cleric (depending on what the rest of the party is doing), and so on. But I also like to have a variety of options, and to experiment with different character themes and playstyles. I made 4 characters on day 1 and I've added to them since. So when I log in I just pick who I want to play based on what I feel like doing today or how I feel like doing it.