Liadri the Concealing Darkness - Whoever came up with that, I despise you :)

@"Clyan.1593" said:

I have no trouble doing Liadri on normal. I even did it with a gambit. But the Blazing Light Achievement is now the last one missing for me from the entire Queen's Gauntlet category and I haven't found the courage to attempt it.

Thief seems to be ridiculously cheasy when it comes to ANY fight in this arena (especially Turrai), but the one thing I have trouble with is health when fighting Liadri.In the first phase i take way too much dmg from her projectiles. Is there a trick to it? Or a build with better selfsustain?

Got that achievement using mesmer. Had the same problem with survival at first, randomly tossed in toughness and vit(mostly celestial) helped. First 3 light orb to make her vulnerable, brought her HP down to 30%, focus on getting another 5 more light orbs down before finishing off the fight. Took around 18 attempts (with 2 attempts she died to clones/condi ticks and 3 attempts I miscalculated and defeated her after using 7 orb :anguished:)

Felt she's extremely vulnerable to condi dmg, but could be my mashed up stats :tongue:. Don't panic when the Ringmaster callout "This contestant doesn't have much time left." It's a LIE! or take it as one :angry:.

@Clyan.1593 said:

@Clyan.1593 said:I have no trouble doing Liadri on normal. I even did it with a gambit. But the Blazing Light Achievement is now the last one missing for me from the entire Queen's Gauntlet category and I haven't found the courage to attempt it.

Thief seems to be ridiculously cheasy when it comes to ANY fight in this arena (especially Turrai), but the one thing I have trouble with is health when fighting Liadri.In the first phase i take way too much dmg from her projectiles. Is there a trick to it? Or a build with better selfsustain?

Try left-right-stepping while at the edge of the arena to avoid them. As far as i know the projectile should be aimed at the location where you would be if you keep your current direction of movement.Iif you (constantly) change it, the projectiles should pass left and right of you.Haven't tried it this year though, so not sure if this still works.

Thx, but in order to guide the clones, sometimes you have to be very close to Liadri since some of the vortexes are right next to her in the middle.

You shouldn't need to be close to the vortexes. just make sure you are on the opposite side of the vortexes than the clones, so that they walk "over them" on their way to you.

@Ronan.9518 said:

@Clyan.1593 said:I have no trouble doing Liadri on normal. I even did it with a gambit. But the Blazing Light Achievement is now the last one missing for me from the entire Queen's Gauntlet category and I haven't found the courage to attempt it.

Try left-right-stepping while at the edge of the arena to avoid them. As far as i know the projectile should be aimed at the location where you would be if you keep your current direction of movement.Iif you (constantly) change it, the projectiles should pass left and right of you.Haven't tried it this year though, so not sure if this still works.

Thx, but in order to guide the clones, sometimes you have to be very close to Liadri since some of the vortexes are right next to her in the middle.

You shouldn't need to be close to the vortexes. just make sure you are on the opposite side of the vortexes than the clones, so that they walk "over them" on their way to you.

Thx I will try this!

@"Clyan.1593" said:I have no trouble doing Liadri on normal. I even did it with a gambit. But the Blazing Light Achievement is now the last one missing for me from the entire Queen's Gauntlet category and I haven't found the courage to attempt it.

Did the achievement using Daredevil and this build:

Main benefits:

• a lot of movement and dodges
  • stealth causes shades and Liadri to ignore you which makes it easier to pick up and throw orbs
  • decent tank and sustain
  • decent damage from condi and spamming pistol 1 while doing mechanics (I was actually running low on her life and hit her with the last orb when she was at 5%)

There is obviously multiple video guides on how to do the 8 orb achievement by now.

@SkyFallsInThunder.8257 said:It's funny because now it's rather easy because of the insane power creep, it used to be a lot harder in pre-expansion days...

You also had to walk uphill in both directions to reach the gauntlet. Not like today, when it's only uphill getting there. I also think it was snowing all the time, making it hard to see.

@SkyFallsInThunder.8257 said:It's funny because now it's rather easy because of the insane power creep, it used to be a lot harder in pre-expansion days...

Don't forget about the visual cleanup they applied to the arena and some of the animations, as well as removing the cage's ceiling so you are not constantly fighting the camera.Doesn't change the fact that it is among the best pieces of content ever added to the game though.

I remember doing this 2013 ... but I don't know if I have completed everything back then. (I thought I did and according to wiki there was a miniature Liadri in 2013 as well but I don't have that one so maybe I didn't manage to beat her in 2013.) Now after a long break from end 2013 til 2019 I'm back still playing core without expansions.

Seems like the core classes skills got buffed as well. But still having a bit of trouble with subject 7 special achievement and with Liadri. Not trying the special tier bosses - since I guess they are nearly impossible without access to the elite specs from expansions.

But with a bit training Liadri and subject 7 should be possible. Just can't decide on a strategy yet. (Subject 7 recommends to go full power - but then the small oozes kill me too fast which spawn around him. Wiki is wrong it says walking in circles would avoid oozes since they should spawn near you - player char - but they spawn around subject 7.)

Liadri throwing 3 orbs at her is easy. Then it gets harder. (But I need a better build /mix of skills with a bit invulnerability I guess and some movement skills. Not full movement or invulnnerability. And no stuns/knockbacks - that were needed in other fights a lot.) The thief video looked pretty easy. Must be because of the tons of stealth and 3 dodge bars with the elite spec.

Since I play engineer I guess I'll try the elixir that gives quickness (for damage) + a bit stealth with the toolbar skill - and traiting for elixirs. (Using the one for few secs invulnerability as well.) While other bosses most of the time full gadget and power/precision was fun to play (knocking the dog witht he meat around and jumping with rifle skill 5 to steal his meat). :D

With elite specs and powercreep the gauntlet fights are very easy compared to when they were first introduced. The only perceived difficulty comes from not understanding the boss mechanics or not understanding how to change a build to suit the encounter. Many of the bosses just require you to kite (Liadri and King Turai in particular) which is incredibly easy with elite specs like spellbreaker, mirage, daredevil, weaver, soulbeast etc.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Clyan.1593" said:I have no trouble doing Liadri on normal. I even did it with a gambit. But the Blazing Light Achievement is now the last one missing for me from the entire Queen's Gauntlet category and I haven't found the courage to attempt it.

Did the achievement using Daredevil and this build:

Main benefits:
  • a lot of movement and dodges
  • stealth causes shades and Liadri to ignore you which makes it easier to pick up and throw orbs
  • decent tank and sustain
  • decent damage from condi and spamming pistol 1 while doing mechanics (I was actually running low on her life and hit her with the last orb when she was at 5%)

There is obviously multiple video guides on how to do the 8 orb achievement by now.

I did it! 30 attempts i'd say. My GF had to help me count lol

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:Yeah I hate it too. It’s so ridiculously difficult any manner of success is almost entirely luck. You have to play it again and again until you get lucky enough to pass each bit, I suppose. When there’s too much to possibly deal with it’s not skill, it’s stupid RNG. Other than this fight and the turai one (which is only a tiny, tiny bit less annoying), this is by far my favorite festival

Everything on that fight follows a timer so the entire fight can be predicted. There’s no luck needed for the encounter itself.

This.

There is literally no randomness in that fight. The pattern of the ground aoes, where the light circles spawn, the attacks she uses at different ranges, where the shades spawn, etc. None of it is random.

This is so amazingly easy to falsify, I'm surprised anybody would say it. Just watch any two fights. The first vortex is in a different spot every time.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@"Fenom.9457" said:Yeah I hate it too. It’s so ridiculously difficult any manner of success is almost entirely luck. You have to play it again and again until you get lucky enough to pass each bit, I suppose. When there’s too much to possibly deal with it’s not skill, it’s stupid RNG. Other than this fight and the turai one (which is only a tiny, tiny bit less annoying), this is by far my favorite festival

Everything on that fight follows a timer so the entire fight can be predicted. There’s no luck needed for the encounter itself.

This.

There is literally no randomness in that fight. The pattern of the ground aoes, where the light circles spawn, the attacks she uses at different ranges, where the shades spawn, etc. None of it is random.

This is so amazingly easy to falsify, I'm surprised anybody would say it. Just watch any two fights. The first vortex is in a different spot every time.

Except it is not. Watch multiple videos and familiarize yourself with the fight. Here is a guide video which exactly explains how the fields work and rotate:

as bonus Deroir completes the fight on every class. Also this is from 2014, so no elite specializations. If you can't beat it with elite specializations today, well not much help can be given.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Fenom.9457" said:Yeah I hate it too. It’s so ridiculously difficult any manner of success is almost entirely luck. You have to play it again and again until you get lucky enough to pass each bit, I suppose. When there’s too much to possibly deal with it’s not skill, it’s stupid RNG. Other than this fight and the turai one (which is only a tiny, tiny bit less annoying), this is by far my favorite festival

This.

Except it is not. Watch multiple videos and familiarize yourself with the fight. Here is a guide video which exactly explains how the fields work and rotate:

as bonus Deroir completes the fight on every class. Also this is from 2014, so no elite specializations. If you can't beat it with elite specializations today, well not much help can be given.

The white vortex fields are always on the same spot, but I have noticed that they vary a little bit, so for example the second vortex sometimes is really close to the wall leaving no space inbetween, and sometimes you actually can stand between the wall and the vortex without taking dmg. I don't know if it is supposed to be like that or if it depends on which arena you do the fight: It may be that they had to place it individually on every arena and in some of them the position is slightly off.

But even if it was exactly the same everytime, you still have the orbs that appear on different places 100%. This is one unpredictable element of the fight, and also it can be quite significant since some of the orbs may appear on the other side of the arena, forcing you to change your movement pattern in order to destroy it.

On top of that, the one thing practically impossible to replicate every time is your own movement, causing the clones to walk in a different path. I had instances where i could delete two clones simultaneously and in the next attempt i would get only one of them.

In the second phase Liadri changes aswell, I'm not sure on how many skills she has, but the one where she leaps onto you doesn't follow any particular chronology. Sometimes after throwing the third light she would immediately jump on me, on other times she would start doing her spinning attack.

Not saying the fight is completely random, but clearly there are elements in it which you cannot predict and elements you cannot precicely replicate every time.So for me it wasn't pure skill when I did the achivement, but certainly a bit of luck too. Maybe some people can consistently do it without any mistakes, I would not bet on it tho.

@Clyan.1593 said:

This.

The white vortex fields are always on the same spot, but I have noticed that they vary a little bit, so for example the second vortex sometimes is really close to the wall leaving no space inbetween, and sometimes you actually can stand between the wall and the vortex without taking dmg. I don't know if it is supposed to be like that or if it depends on which arena you do the fight: It may be that they had to place it individually on every arena and in some of them the position is slightly off.

But even if it was exactly the same everytime, you still have the orbs that appear on different places 100%. This is one unpredictable element of the fight, and also it can be quite significant since some of the orbs may appear on the other side of the arena, forcing you to change your movement pattern in order to destroy it.

On top of that, the one thing practically impossible to replicate every time is your own movement, causing the clones to walk in a different path. I had instances where i could delete two clones simultaneously and in the next attempt i would get only one of them.

In the second phase Liadri changes aswell, I'm not sure on how many skills she has, but the one where she leaps onto you doesn't follow any particular chronology. Sometimes after throwing the third light she would immediately jump on me, on other times she would start doing her spinning attack.

Not saying the fight is completely random, but clearly there are elements in it which you cannot predict and elements you cannot precicely replicate every time.So for me it wasn't pure skill when I did the achivement, but certainly a bit of luck too. Maybe some people can consistently do it without any mistakes, I would not bet on it tho.

True, there is slight variations but those are not big enough to call this completely random.

Liadri choses skills based on her distance and if they are on cooldown. While hard to manage, they can be affected by distance to her. Her jump is her gap closer which she will use as a range attack, usually off cooldown and prefered above her basic ranged attack. A full list of her abilities can be read up on here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Liadri_the_Concealing_Dark.

All of these mechanics contribute to why certain skills and abilities help in this fight:StealthStops Liadri and her clones from both engaging you as well as interupting you while picking up an orb. Very helpful in picking up orbs inbetween shades (if for example not all shades were converted by the vortex field).

PullsHelp a lot with getting shades into vortex fields, potentially even multiple.

Movement skills/teleportsHelp with both getting away from danger as well as picking up orbs which are further away.

Ranged attackHaving at least 1 ranged attack or skill helps a lot with removing the cosmic rifts at range asap. Prevents unforunate pulls into damage.

@Clyan.1593 said:So for me it wasn't pure skill when I did the achivement, but certainly a bit of luck too. Maybe some people can consistently do it without any mistakes, I would not bet on it tho.

There is, both for her normal version as well as the 8 orb fight. I'm not denying that luck can help or some bad shade movement can make it harder. I'm saying: the excuse that one didn't get a lucky streak doesn't fly. It's a mechanic heavy fight and has been cleared with core classes ever since 2013.

Tried the whole event for the first time today. Liadri was the only one in the first three tiers that was interesting. I was honestly disappointed in all of the others. I am a casual player, I played a core burn guard that gets me laughed out of the ring usually, I needed about 10 tries for Liadri. Mostly because I did not read up on the fight before.

Imo, it's not luck and it's not even skill that's the most important asset here. It's what you go in with. Condition damage, vitality, blocks and movement skills help a lot.I believe I personally would never be able to clear the fight with my power Holosmith in its current state, for example.

I agree that the most annoying thing was one vortex field sitting directly on the border of the ring sometimes.Also I sometimes lost the orb of light and am still not sure why/if that's intended (no weapon switch).

I would like more of such completely optional and somewhat challenging 1v1 PvE fights.Or maybe challenges where you can bring one or two friends, but get much better rewards if you do it alone.

@Daddicus.6128 said:Might be a bug. My last three fights started with a vortex on the edge, one in the middle, and one right next to her. My account may be bugged, though, because I can't get one of the achievements to advance. I'll try again tonight.

I think it was a bug. After waiting another day, I was able to get the achievement (by re-doing the first three bosses in tier 1). Then, I watched a couple of Liadri fights, and the vortices were where you guys saw them. So, I'm calling the whole thing one big bug.