Templates Preview Guild Chat -- We want your questions!

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Wakani.1829 said:you Just made my point for me. all those reasons are exactly
why it shouldent
be monetized. QoL shouldent be monetized, ever. wanna know why ?[...]

I find RNG a lot worse than monetizing
additional slots
in an otherwise
free
feature. Also, a lot of QoL stuff is already being monetized, like make-over kits, additional bag slots, bank tabs. Additional template slots is not where I draw the line, to be honest, if I want the company that makes the game to survive. Of course, if the whole feature was accessible only through payment, I would be against it, too.

The only issue i have, is its already free -right- now, and you can do way more. After this you have to pay for what you already can do(Otherwise you get less) through a third party tool, id actually be loosing capabilities i already have.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These better not be character based. I will repeat the same things I say about bag slots and infinite tools: I DO NOT BUY THINGS FOR ONE CHARACTER. I will only buy things that are account wide. I will not be in a situation where I feel either that I made a mistake or like I am being forced in how I play because I used real money to get something for a character and not all my characters (18 as of now) and I don't want to "waste it".

I wonder how it will work if I want to temporarily swap to (e.g.) focus to pull somebody but the item is stored in an equipment template. Like, I don't want to use up an equipment template slot just to change between torch and focus.

I frequently swap weapons depending on the situation, and I can see this being a negative if the item is taken out of inventory and stored in template. It means I'll have to have duplicates of my weapons if I want them for both Equipment Templates and temporary use.

I urge people to not get upset. Just walk away for a while. Don't pay for stuff you don't like. If ANET sells you something you really want....come back and pay for it. If not, just stop playing for a bit. The only metric that let's them know you are unhappy is simply not logging in. Plus, it saves you a lot of grief.

@Wakani.1829 said:

@Crystal.8051 said:Do something like adding it to the achieve total rewards and if your so high you unlock so many automatically. Or based on years of gameplay.

Now that is actually a solid solution aswell. 10k+ points netting you a free slot every few thousand AP you earn after that, retroactively added ofc(im personally just passing 8.5k btw, so theres no instant gain bias here for those that may be thinking that).

Adding a few to the account birthday gifts, would be another way. Gives a boost to players who have played for years but don't chase down the AP.

Like maybe additional template and storage every 3-5 years.

I do like the idea of those with HoT and PoF getting at least 1 extra per expansion pack.

Or at least make them character specific and not account specific. Then it becomes 3 base per character. Which is a lot better than 3 base per account. Especially for altaholics who play many of those alts.

my main question....

the character bound build templates.... when i buy a pack of 3... am i buying 3 more slots for ONE character... or am i buying 3 more slots for ALL characters on my account...

example: let's say i have 9 character slots.... and i use 1 for each profession. and let's say my elementalist buys a pack of 3 character slots.... do i then have: Ele 6, and everyone else 3... or does everyone then have 6?

@GloomxWar.8793 said:Why do you force players to pay for something that they already got for free with a third party program?I think making players pay for this is one of the worst things Anet could do.

Because that feature is going to be disabled on that program once the official build templates releases.

Also I'm confused on how equipment templates will work with Legendary Gear since it uses it for 1 tab.. so can you still access it for another tab or do you need another full set?

Awfully limiting, if there's an actual hard cap to how many we can make. Not to mention the actual cost. The reality is that given what we have, some people are losing even more Quality of Life. The game becomes harder to play for Mesmer, Ele, Ranger, and guardians, and in a way that makes them spend time looking at their UI rather than playing the game.

My question would be, how are you evaluating these numbers? The post has stated that "each character will have access to .." meaning that purchasing more is likely bound to that individual character, rather than increasing an account wide cap. Which means for those players who had 7 or 8 builds for one character, and play multiple characters, would likely lose something up to 20 or 30 builds in quick access, and have to purchase just as many templates to make up for it?

The gem cost for the public that actually uses templates at the moment would need to be like 25 gems for a template or something. That's a ridiculous number.

@Seera.5916 said:Adding a few to the account birthday gifts, would be another way. Gives a boost to players who have played for years but don't chase down the AP.

Like maybe additional template and storage every 3-5 years.

I do like the idea of those with HoT and PoF getting at least 1 extra per expansion pack.

Or at least make them character specific and not account specific. Then it becomes 3 base per character. Which is a lot better than 3 base per account. Especially for altaholics who play many of those alts.

if you were to reduce the expansion given ones, then that would be a really good way to keep the count at a realistic count for people who play actively.1 per expansion, maybe one at 10k AP, and another every other 10k ap, meaning while 2 more slots is nice for those that has amassed it, it wouldent be something i would personally GUN for (im at 8.5k atm). and then an additional 1-2 at a certain birthday gift.

My only gribe with it, would be that it would have to be ACCOUNT birthday, not character birthday, and it would have to (obviously) be retroactively added.

This would (if they equalise the amounts given initially), amount to 3 + 1 + 1 (for HoT and PoF), + 1-3 from acchievements, + 1-2 from brithdays, that would put the theoretical maximum number of free slots, at 10 for a veteran account, and the lowest 3 for a totally fresh account with no age, no expansions and no acchievements.

IO could easily see myself having more than 10 builds per character, certain things in PVE id want to do as condi, certain things as power, some things with lots of quickness (gahtering for instance), fractals can easily take up 10+ builds if you run several different fractals, or just LIKE running fractals, raids will see most classes in 2+ roles, (guardian for instance has 5, not counting tank), and dungeons is a totally different matter ontop.

there would definately still be people who would want more slots than 10, and while i cant speak for them, i can say without a dubt that i personally would spend money on them if the amount we get initially + the amount EARNED in the game, and the way you earn them, was reasonable, while i wont spend a damned penny on them if they persist in their current state.

Allone for my thief i currently have 21 diffrent buildtemplates with mostly diffrent equipment and 18 of them are relevant. I have all classes equipped and have on them a lot of builds saved aswell. It looks like i can purchase a maximum amount of 6 buildtemplates/ equipment templates per char. If thats the case its hugely dissapointing for me and will take a lot of fun out of the game, because i am going to be forced to select most of them manually after this patch goes live. Furthermore im dissappointed that i was able to have this feature with arcdps up until now for free and in a more conveniant way and now i am forced to pay for it, because arcs buildtemplates seem to be discontinued after these are released.So that out of the way the most pressing questions are:

• Whats the max amount of the diffrent templates?
  • What do they cost?
  • Is it an acc or a char unlock?
  • Do i have to load build and equipment templates seperately or is there an option to load both of them at once?
  • Equipment templates is able to switch "upgrades" from legendary gear does this include infusions ?

Just for comparision: arcdps provided:

• an unlimited amount
  • for free
  • for the entire account
  • and you could load them all at once
  • infusions got switched

I really hope your feature is not a massive downgrade that i even have to pay for compared to the currently available version.

1. When i buy a gear template slot, will i buy 1 slot for 1 character or will i unlock the third (fourth and so on) slot for the entire account?
  2. Would you consider giving players additional gear slots in exchange for not storing the gear seperately? Aka i don't mind having a lot of gear in my inventory if that means i get to save more templates
  3. (Not technically build templates but sort of related) Have you thought about the option of bulk-stat/rune-changing for legendary gear? Rerolling stats on legendary gear is a lot more tedious than just equipping another set of armor/trinkets - it would be nice to have the most prestigious endgame gear to also have the highest quality of life in all aspects

Questions aside i really hope they at least consider upping the gear templates to 3. Right now it feels quite disappointing to for example play a support build. Imo going with 1 set for Power/Condi/Support should be the minimum. I would trade in the option to store the gear in the gear templates for more space in a heartbeat.Maybe you could give us 1 extra slot per expansion. I don't know. Don't want to feel sad about a feature i've been looking forward to for so long.

@Robban.1256 said:

@Akachi.1352 said:Why are you restricting us to 6 (3 +3) baseline build storage slots when we had infinite with Guild Wars 1.

you didnt have infinite in gw1, max slots was 550

That's still far more than 6 free storage spaces, 3 Build Tabs and 2 Equipment! It's only 6 Storage Spaces for your account! I main 9 (one of each porf.) and they all have both ESpecs so yeah they could do more. I guess print screen still works :o

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Boogiepop Void.6473" said:These better not be character based.

I seriously doubt that.
That
would be "over the top". ;)

The 6 free storage spaces for templates are account bound.

Build Temples"At release, each character will get three Build Template tabs, which will be preloaded with their existing equipped builds from PvE, PvP, and WvW. "

Template Storage"Your account will have access to three Build Storage Spaces for free. To obtain more, you can purchase them in packs of three in the Gem Store. For a limited time after release, you’ll be able to pick up a free pack in the Gem Store for a total of six free Build Storage Spaces."

Equipment Templates"Each of your characters will have access to two Equipment Template tabs for free, and the first will be automatically populated with an Equipment Template containing the gear your character was wearing when you last logged in"~Source

@Dzjudz.9142 said:

@Aaralyna.3104 said:I feel that Anet is very generous to give us a free slot so we can have 1 setup for every game mode in game (which will make more players step into all modes since it saves the equipment in the template and not in your inventory bag, this is a big big plus). Having more than that is just a QoL thing that in my eyes they are entitled to ask money for and its not even p2w. Its a 1 on 1 on inventory bag slots for gems.

I don't know, I don't think it's cool to start monetizing the use of legendary gear for the purpose for which it was made.

Enlighten me to how this affects Legendary gear? Atm you have 1 build template and 1 equipment template. You can change the stats whenever you want, attributes whenever you want. In the new version this did not change as far as I read. You just get 1 equipment template extra and some build templates extra and storages (the storage is basically a bank where you can store some build templates you created in build templates and which you can see account wide instead of on 1 character only). A person with lets say exotic or ascended gear would still have to get new equipment slotted in to change stats (and accompanying build) or purchase an extra equipment slot and build slot). Or make use of the free extra equipment slot and build template and ignore some mode they don't play equipment/build slot wise (like they do currently already).

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Boogiepop Void.6473" said:These better not be character based.

I seriously doubt that.
That
would be "over the top". ;)

I'm very sorry to say...

"At release, each character will get three Build Template tabs, which will be preloaded with their existing equipped builds from PvE, PvP, and WvW. You can swap the contents of the Build Template tabs for use in any game mode or purchase more tabs from the Gem Store."

It's going to be character based. GW1 had infinite (okay 550 - 543 more than this offering) memory for build slots. This is a deeply cynical offering from the gem store. Rather than potentially having an infinite number of possibilities we're locked at an arbitrary number because MONEEEEY. Yes, I can transfer 300 gold to gems or whatever amount, but why? Build templates are QoL. I'm saving up gold for the pleasure of having better QoL to play the game? Come ooooon.

Make it masteries based, make it skill point based, anything but gems.

This is one of the reasons people don't feel hype about living world over expansions. Expansions are a fair trade of mass content. Living world and live services produce arbitrary money making limitation money traps like these. It stretches the goodwill the community has.

I don't like that it consumes the gear when it makes the template. See, what I have is a series of invisible boxes on each of my toons, holding the different gear for the different builds. In these boxes, there is a lot of universal equipment. That is, I have gear that is swapped between characters, as well as gear that is not part of the build, but that I will occasionally swap to as needed.

For example, on my Rev I have the power set (berserkers), the buff set (diviners), the condi set (vipers), and on another toon I have the harrier set that I can send over. Now, for fractals I don't need to wear the full buff set. I can swap out pieces in order to make a higher damaging hybrid set that accomplishes the same thing. The way it works now is this: I just right-click on the piece I want to swap, and then swap it out. How it would work with templates is I would have to destroy the template to get all of the gear back, move all of that gear into the sitting vacant invisible box, re-equip myself for that particular scenario, and then after it was done I would have to re-build the template again. That is more trouble than it is worth.

How doe changing equipped weapons work with the templates? Does it destroy the template? Is the correct weapon automatically equipped when I switch back? I don't like the sound of any of this. I don't appreciate the "free inventory space" that the builds are supposed to give, either. For you see, I've had seven years to store up as much inventory space as I want on each character. I don't need any more personal inventory space, let alone some that specifically makes swapping and transferring gear cumbersome.

When we said we wanted templates, what we meant was that we want a button that automatically changes all of our gear, traits, and utilities from our inventory and/or our bank. I'm not sure how this got all mixed up in pseudo-inventory bags and gems.

I often stay quiet, but this is really big for me.

I and several of the friends I play with have used arc templates for years. Although what we really wanted were official build templates, deltaconnected offered a fantastic 3rd party tool that made the game feel so much richer because of how painless it was to change up the build of a class, and thus the entire feel of it. We were all incredibly excited when we heard the official ones were finally on their way into the game.

This however has been a very big letdown for all of us. Not only do the official templates seem less versatile than arc templates, as they are only split into 2 groups (equipment/skills) rather (skills/traits/equipment/legendary-stats), they will also be locked behind a paywall.

2-6 templates may sound like a lot for players who don't engage with swapping around builds too much, but this will have a big impact on my enjoyment of the game.

I have dedicated a lot of my time and resources to obtain legendary gear to be able to utillize templates better, so that I painlessly change between the many playstyles the game has to offer, to obtain ultimate freedom in terms of build versatillty. I have 8/9 legendary armor sets thus far. This however takes away that complete freedom I strived to achieve, and I am now asked pay to get some of it back. It may seem silly that someone who is ok with crafting 8 sets of legendary armor is not ok with paying for build templates, but that is where I am at.

The many playstyles this game has to offer is what keeps the game fresh for me and many others. I do not think limiting the builds people can access easily is a healthy direction to take for the longevity of the game. People should never be discouraged from changing their playstyles.

As others have mentioned a model where character bound templates are unlimited and free, but account bound ones are optional upgrades at a cost could be a better path to take for the overall health of the game.

Whenever/ifever "fashion"-templates are added, that would be a more fitting place to monetize templates. Putting price tags build templates very much feels like lines are getting blurred.

I have enjoyed the game a lot, and I don't mind spending resources on it, because inherently its a game I want to see succeed and grow. This however is crossing a line for me, I can not support this. For now I will wait and see how the changes play out, but knowing myself I fear the reduced freedom will make me feel too restriced and ultimately leave me dissatisfied.