Cape Requests [merged] — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Cape Requests [merged]

We see a lot of threads asking for the addition of capes, guild or otherwise. We're merging threads in order to give everyone a single, searchable ;) resource on this topic.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager: ArenaNet
Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

Tagged:
<13

Comments

• So, forgive me if this has been asked and answered, but:

With things like the Banners of Dynastic Reckoning in the game, how long until we can see the ability to get/craft/etc something similar with our guild emblem on it. Given how cape like it already is, I'd much rather prefer something like that than the current banner/flag thing that juts out from the back.

Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

• A player said
    We should totally get capes as backpiece skins since we literally have some now with pof backpieces.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 replied:
    Capes are problematic. They are difficult to animate well. Especially when it comes to tails. I know we had them in GW1, but animations there were much less complicated, including not having the ability to jump.

• Banners, by the way, are a different mechanic. It seems much more likely that ANet can add more banners in the game than redesign backpacks to act as capes. (My reading of dev remarks is that they probably are already considering this and we might see more banners 'soon'.)

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

A player said
    We should totally get capes as backpiece skins since we literally have some now with pof backpieces.

Capes are problematic. They are difficult to animate well. Especially when it comes to tails. I know we had them in GW1, but animations there were much less complicated, including not having the ability to jump.

I think the OP is saying that we have that banner in and can we have the same item, but with a guild emblem instead. Which seems reasonable to me

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• @Randulf.7614 said:

A player said

I think the OP is saying that we have that banner in and can we have the same item, but with a guild emblem instead. Which seems reasonable to me

It 'seems' reasonable, but the tech is apparently different. (My guess is that banners are simpler because they don't touch the character or armor.) I don't have the quote handy, so I'll see if I can find it later.

As I posted afterward, I think if people want more banners, they can do that.

• @Randulf.7614 said:

A player said

Exactly. I am wearing one on my toon rn. I just want the same thing with an artwork change that puts my guild emblem on it instead.

Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

• I know -- I know its been discussed before... but really ? This game needs it.. Peeps that do not want it -- don't wear it !!! Those that do like me and a thousand other peeps --- at least give us a CHOICE !!!

• 100% agreed!!! Just another back item, don't think it's hard to make

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

the problem is the charr, every single time there is a problem with back pieces, blame the charr. (or Anet for making charr lumpy ogre's)

• jbrother.1340jbrother.1340 Member ✭✭✭

@Vector.6731 said:
    I know -- I know its been discussed before... but really ? This game needs it.. Peeps that do not want it -- don't wear it !!! Those that do like me and a thousand other peeps --- at least give us a CHOICE !!!

what they need to do it fix issues and not add more needless features until those issues are fixed. By the way if they did add this they will simply sell it not make it available freely in game.

Capes and cloaks are just your opinion and a desire you have but not needed.

For me I would not use and I don't want to see them but that is just my OPINION.

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

I, too, think it's a great idea for weeding out Tyria's "heroes". ;)

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

• starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

And watch as cloth physics on capes cripple performance.

• dynomite.5834dynomite.5834 Member ✭✭✭

I've seen videos of GW1 and the capes. They look horrible - they don't move naturally and it adds nothing to the game or the character. Why are people so ga-ga over capes? I'd rather the developers spend their time and money balancing the game, porting to a more recent DX, etc.

• Hylox.9746Hylox.9746 Member ✭✭

the closest thing to a cape we have in game is the back piece "Banners of Ancient Elona" you get it from doing PoF story i think

• Amaranthe.3578Amaranthe.3578 Member ✭✭✭

@Dreadshow.9320 said:
    It's not like they need to start worrying about clipping issues since 90% of of wardrobe items clip one way or another.

This basically, they wont even fix the current flood of clipping issues

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2018

@Hylox.9746 said:
    the closest thing to a cape we have in game is the back piece "Banners of Ancient Elona" you get it from doing PoF story i think

Problem is that it's not dyeable and it also has that ridiculous coat hanger.

Would like to have capes on my warriors though, like the Spartans!

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Hylox.9746 said:

None of the back items are dyable, so I doubt capes would be.

I personally don't need capes. I chose the skins on my toon because I liked them, so there's no point for me covering it up with a rug. But more options are always better, so sure, give the cape-ppl their capes.

If you want X, and Y is needed to get get X, you also have to want Y if you really want X. If you don't want Y, you don't want X. It's easy.
    Pro: Build Templates, Dungeon Rework, UW content
    Contra: New Races, New Classes, New Weapons, Capes

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭

@lokh.2695 said:

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Hylox.9746 said:

None of the back items are dyable, so I doubt capes would be.

I personally don't need capes. I chose the skins on my toon because I liked them, so there's no point for me covering it up with a rug. But more options are always better, so sure, give the cape-ppl their capes.

Oh I know about no dye on back item's - was the same on gw1, and absolutely about the back item's. In fact the first ascended item I ever crafted was quiver of a thousand arrows and the same original back item is on my thief after nearly 5 years. Just that a lot of back item's are pretty silly like, who is going to carry a wooden shelf wrack on their backs with postions inside of it.

• Hylox.9746Hylox.9746 Member ✭✭

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Hylox.9746 said:

the coat hanger goes quite well with the awakened zealot outfit and desert king weapon skins... i love the Egyptian themed skins we got since PoF!

@dynomite.5834 said:
    I've seen videos of GW1 and the capes. They look horrible - they don't move naturally and it adds nothing to the game or the character. Why are people so ga-ga over capes? I'd rather the developers spend their time and money balancing the game, porting to a more recent DX, etc.

Guild Emblem, and the fact it was the only back piece that existed in the game. I think the bigger reason is that we have no good looking guild banner accessory in this game. Every one so far have been flags sticking out of our backs, which looks awkward when outside of WvW, while most people want something more low key and casual. The purpose of the banners in open field warfare was to help identify soldier formations to Commanders and artillery (so you don't shoot at your own people).... so them being big and visible from a distance made sense. Capes, cloaks and scraps of cloth are much easier for ceremonial outfits, and can be either prominent or subdued based on how its designed.

• @jbrother.1340 said:

@Vector.6731 said:
    I know -- I know its been discussed before... but really ? This game needs it.. Peeps that do not want it -- don't wear it !!! Those that do like me and a thousand other peeps --- at least give us a CHOICE !!!

what they need to do it fix issues and not add more needless features until those issues are fixed. By the way if they did add this they will simply sell it not make it available freely in game.

For me I would not use and I don't want to see them but that is just my OPINION.

Opinions are great -- Like i said its not for everyone -- however if we wait for the issues to be fixed --> we will be old and gray and i would like to see it them before it happens =) thanks for replying ;)

• crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018

@Vector.6731 said:

not sure where your "a thousand other peeps" came from, i'm assuming the thousands of newly joined players?

we already have them in-game, they are merged into the some of the armor arts already

as someone who comes from project management background, your request to have it as a new item type will be in the W(ill not implement) category base on MoSCoW prioritisation

WvW Alliance will be anet's top priority in the months to come, and it's probably the most hyped side content in years since raid
    and it's pretty much a make or break for WvW, because there's no going back

[RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • perilisk.1874perilisk.1874 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Vector.6731 said:

Just play a medium armor character, they have capes. Of a sort.

• Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018

@starlinvf.1358 said:
    And watch as cloth physics on capes cripple performance.

This.

The introduction of these hypothetical capes better come with an hypothetical option to turn off the backpieces of other players.

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

• Kumouta.4985Kumouta.4985 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018

for now just use banners of ancient elona- they look enough like a cape to make me lol @ everything on my charr clipping with everything

edit: said amnoon instead of ancient elona by accident. whoops.

• Nuka Cola.8520Nuka Cola.8520 Member ✭✭✭✭

Don't care about kitten capes. Give me Light Armor pants.

• Actually, cloaks are a type of cape, that cover the whole body, a la the cloak of invisibility from the Harry Potter movies, or even the Night Elven Wardens (both in Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne expansion, and World of Warcraft). The closest things to a cloak that Guild Wars 2 has, are the medium armors, which look like trench coats.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

@jbrother.1340 said:

Capes (that displayed your guild's logo nonetheless) were one of the big basic game features of GW1, and many oldtimers (including myself) do kind of miss them in GW2.

• As the title suggests, it would really be awesome if we had some cool looking capes. Every hero has a cape and all we have are banners from our backs.

• segman.3560segman.3560 Member ✭✭✭
    1. Someone is going to post cliche meme from Incredibles soon.
    2. I want build templates. Capes right after.
  • @kharmin.7683 said:
    Please use the search function on the forums. This has been discussed at length.

Did those long discussions do anything? no. Ive learned you have to cry a lot more to achieve something in this game.

• segman.3560segman.3560 Member ✭✭✭

@Deeyra.1476 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:
    Please use the search function on the forums. This has been discussed at length.

Did those long discussions do anything? no. Ive learned you have to cry a lot more to achieve something in this game.

You are correct.

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

Given the level of clipping I've seen with the chest & leggings models already I the game, I shudder to think what cloaks would look like.

• Scar.1793Scar.1793 Member ✭✭✭

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    Given the level of clipping I've seen with the chest & leggings models already I the game, I shudder to think what cloaks would look like.

Joko backpiece banner and another PoF backpiece are very close to being cloaks. Same for Warbringer, which is a reason why I’m working on it. They did clip in gw1 yet it was used a lot.

• Plautze.6290Plautze.6290 Member ✭✭✭

We have capes. Butt-capes! Lots. Of! THEM!!!1eleven!
    Frankly, I'd dig capes which are actually worn around the shoulders. Or even just one shoulder à la Ezio Auditore!

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Kareem Aqbar | Mindblower Torxx

• Why are there no cape skins for back items? We have wings but as Edna says "no capes"

largely because if they did, none of the other back items would sell anywhere near as good.

• Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

@starlinvf.1358 said:
    largely because if they did, none of the other back items would sell anywhere near as good.

I don't think they care which back items they sell as long as they sell them. Clearly they could make many variations of capes to sell just the same.

There are two things I do wonder about. First of all, do many people want capes? And secondly, perhaps there are some technical issues regarding the character models which might require a bigger job on the programming side. Perhaps that's not worth it to them to do.

So I don't know, but those are the two things I have to wonder about and the answer to either of those questions could answer this question. However, I do not necessarily expect to get these questions answered by ArenaNet.

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭

Might be hard to animate ...

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Majic.4801 said:
    Never underestimate the power of Edna Mode.

Never underestimate the powers of the forums search.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Always wondered why there are no capes

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

If capes are of the same quality as GW1 or the cape-like backpack provided in PoF, I'd rather not see them added. They clip like crazy.

• i think its mostly to do with clipping issues

• TheBravery.9615TheBravery.9615 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2018

the players want something other than butt capes, leg drapes, and fedoras?!

DELET THIS THREAD

In order to ensure our forums are pleasant and safe for all forum members, we expect all contributors to be respectful of one another, and that includes members of the ArenaNet staff and our company as a whole. You may not post rude comments directed towards our staff, teams, or the company...

• I would love Capes, or even a cool scarf like Link in Hyrule Warriors. But clipping is the main reason I've heard for no capes. Sad, bring out the capes!

• If clipping mattered you wouldnt see it on things we already have now.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.