New futuristic cantha night time artwork on 9th anniversary news page

hugo.4705

https://imgur.com/CSVXqiT

This looks A W E S O M E and hope it will be the same as what it looks in game. Very hyped to see cantha night time now. 

This artworks give me so much hype, the artists are awesome as always.

PS, there were another one on for fanbyfan design contest:   https://imgur.com/cUCI6Ai if you missed it. Seem like an imperial temple.

Edited by hugo.4705
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...

Same here - I hope it'll be futuristic or more technologically advanced. That concept art looks amazing.

As for the "noooo, I want it to stay exactly the same as it was 250 years ago in GW1!" argument...er, it's been two hundred and fifty years (plus) by now. Would you prefer it if real life stayed exactly as it was 250 years ago, in the late 1700s? Things change. I'm glad GW2 hasn't gone with the Medieval Stasis trope.

• Like 4

On 9/4/2021 at 6:35 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

It's "The Legend of Korra" (meh) vs "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (yay!) all over again. :classic_sad:

I hope it will not be "futuristic" at all.

Agreed.

10 hours ago, Batel.9206 said:

Same here - I hope it'll be futuristic or more technologically advanced. That concept art looks amazing.

As for the "noooo, I want it to stay exactly the same as it was 250 years ago in GW1!" argument...er, it's been two hundred and fifty years (plus) by now. Would you prefer it if real life stayed exactly as it was 250 years ago, in the late 1700s? Things change. I'm glad GW2 hasn't gone with the Medieval Stasis trope.

Strawman.  Quite literally no one wants it to be exactly the same, people are perfectly fine with Cantha looking like 250 years has passed, we just don't want it to look like 500 years have passedWhich is what those two images look like to me.  To date most nations in GW2 have a believable amount of development for the length of time that has passed, with some fairly minor exceptions.  I expect Anet to stay true to that.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I hope it won't be a paint pot like what shing jea has become.

I have never seen something so failed on gw2 at environment level. I dont understand what they did, this area was so majestic on gw 1 ..

I have no problem seeing the decor evolve from gw 1. But saturating the settings with horrible colors, it destroys the soul of the area.

Shing jea is horribly ugly to look at. Fortunately echovald forest seems to be representative of the spirit of the area. I keep my fingers crossed for kaineng  and the jade sea ..

Edited by radda.8920
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, radda.8920 said:

But saturating the settings with horrible colors, it destroys the soul of the area.

This.
I have this issue with most zones in GW2. Colors tend to be OVER saturated, which kills my eyes.
Lighting in most zones also destroys the colors on your own character, darker armors just can't be seen in full detail at all. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Blur.3465 said:

This.
I have this issue with most zones in GW2. Colors tend to be OVER saturated, which kills my eyes.
Lighting in most zones also destroys the colors on your own character, darker armors just can't be seen in full detail at all. 

It's true but until now it was still rather artistically successful

For example, elona, it's still different from the atmosphere of gw1 but  it's really visually impressive

But shing jea , I do not understand the delirium ... my eyes bleed with each video of the map

from the start of the game it was the environment i was most eager to see as i loved the place on gw1 and my god, the disappointment ..

Edited by radda.8920
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Maybe you just need new eyes. Transplants be possible in any cyberpunk universe.

Eh..not everyone likes cyberpunk stuff. Frankly, i hope the city has changed and is nothing like it was in GW1. We have floatings cities, i see no reason why Cantha couldnt have progressed so far. To each their own i guess.

• Like 1

I kinda have an issue with them going TOO far and forgetting that it is asian based just to appease. I mean that goes both ways, shing Jea is an example of that, a little over the top and it was never that bright and colourful.

However yes, things have progressed and we are more than 250 years since we last saw the area, so IF it looks like a futuristic city than i hope it looks like a credible city and not one with half of it underwater like some zones became in vanilla.  

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

Already disliked Cantha with all the excessive requests to go back there to a point of Norn/Charr story being scrapped (I'm still sour about IBS, Anet)

So I expect Sci-fi in there to keep me interested

That's not why IBS got scrapped. People were clamoring for Cantha since launch. They didn't all the sudden 9 years later say yeah ok, guess you're right and scrap IBS.

What likely happened is that the lay-offs postponed any expansion, so they started IBS. Then NCSoft probably told them to make an expansion...and thus IBS was scrapped.

• Like 2