The possible dead of WvW.

Jon Snow.6780

Complete and total lack of support for competitive game modes is par for the course. Complete lack of balance.  Total destruction of mechanics introduced years and oft times months prior.

As a gw 1 Beta player whose original guild was one of the 1st sigils dropped from the Hall of Heroes on Day 1 of the pre-weekend and an FPS League Gold Medal Recipient several seasons running in TF and CS, all I could offer in my own elitist way, was suggestions that went unheeded for years.

The disappointment of many of us is total.

Deservedly so....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 5

Camelot Unchained already killed WvW in 2014 when it was released and apparently took the MMO PvP world by storm, according to these forums.

From everything I heard about its either gonna be guilds ganking everything in sight or the "hardcore" players signing up for a predetermined siege days in the future. Both things they will probably enjoy for a couple of months while population is high, only to be frustrated with after.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That's what betas do, they draw in players who are interested to try something out. Has hardly anything to say on how good or bad a game is.

That said, no matter what the developers do, the slump will happen. Quite a few players, myself not included but a significant amount of hardcore WvW players I know, have been waiting for a long time to give New World a try. No last minute changes or patches after years of neglect are going to sway any ones mind.

After that it's down to:

- how well can New World actually deliver? (and I have my doubts about this in the short term. The entire siege setup seems weird, limited amounts of players, signing up early, yadda yadda. It shares far to few similarities with WvW. It still might be fun)

- what the new alliance system brings and how well it works

- if any game mode besides PvE see longterm commitment from the developers, which only time can tell and no amount of guarantees will make up for lost faith/trust

Personally I assume most players will have "New Worlded" themselves out within a few weeks/months. At which point WvW better deliver for players to return. Hopefully on time with the expansion release.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, primatos.5413 said:

New World got a totally different setup ..but at least... developers listening to community feedback and deliver what they promise -eccept release date so far.... worth giving it a try i think 🙂

Not gonna lie. Playing something that is actually worked on felt pretty great for a change.

• Like 2

Can't blame veteran players are looking around now. Look at the recent events. Repeated LWS as scheduled contents; very disappointing 9th Birthday gift; subpar EoD special features and elite skills; subpar new legendary weapons;  beta testing on the core server causing game crippling bugs that took them weeks to fix and without any words from ANet in this forum to assure players that they are working on them. Promoting Art work and Cantha language are priorities....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, primatos.5413 said:

New World got a totally different setup ..but at least... developers listening to community feedback and deliver what they promise -eccept release date so far.... worth giving it a try i think 🙂

We had alot of involvement from Anet devs when GW2 was released and the following years, including making WvW actually playable since we couldnt even see enemy zergs due to culling, lol.

But true, hopefully New World devs do work hard on it. I wouldnt wish a new ESO on my worst enemy. Straight up lies from the devs and broken promises, unplayable lag, broken/missing features and zero ongoing support for exploits the first 2-3 months to the point that it effectivly killed ESO, forced it to go f2p and took like 2 years for it to start to recover.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jon Snow.6780 said:

New World Beta is sucking in the hardcore/semi hardcore, playerdrop in WvW is significant.

It will be easy to disprove this statement: As Gandara and Desolation both are largely unaffected, they should easily rise to T1, while other servers drop due to lack of population.

Yet .... nothing has happened in the last beta, nothing significant will happen during the current beta.

New World targets a different audience IMO.

The combat system is even more action-centric than in GW2. It is even less strategic and even more short-time tactical than GW2. The character development reflects this difference. There is less interaction between different parts of the character build.

The whole game design is a lot different; the versatility of options available in GW2 will take New World quite some time to build. Since New World is a lot less focused on telling an ongoing story, I would also expect certain ... monetarization options especially long-term to reflect this difference (in a way I would call negative, but YMMV. Also this is a wild assumption.)

The aesthetics in New World are IMO a lot less colorful and versatile than those in GW2. The whole outlook seems to be darker; to me the options seem a lot more limited (to more relastic-looking designs).

I also believe there is a lot more WvW players that also do other things in GW2 than many people realize, which makes the non-WvW potions also very relevant, even for core WvW players. Maybe we lose some hardcore players, but sooner or later new commanders will step up and fill the gaps. The game changes, sure,  but change isn't necessarily bad.

I would not be worried about New World taking away players from GW2 WvW. I really think the target audiences will value mostly different things.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nthmetal.9652 said:

I also believe there is a lot more WvW players that also do other things in GW2 than many people realize, which makes the non-WvW potions also very relevant, even for core WvW players. Maybe we lose some hardcore players, but sooner or later new commanders will step up and fill the gaps. The game changes, sure,  but change isn't necessarily bad.

Well we know that part is true since WvWers are really into PvE.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, LetoII.3782 said:

New World's big 3 action skillbar is refreshingly simple. During the beta I taught my cat to do the one possible combo and now shes top 10na

This omg, 3 actives skills per weapon with a weapon swap to 2nd set......so 6 weapon skills and to add to the restriction the made them share cds on sec beta haha. The game will be dead in a few months when people get over the new and shiny phase and see it for the kitten it is. I got to lv 30 and it felt like a budget edo with less skills, way worse questing and far more grinding. Although the ambiance and life skills were pretty cool.

1 hour ago, LetoII.3782 said:

New World's big 3 action skillbar is refreshingly simple. During the beta I taught my cat to do the one possible combo and now shes top 10na

Strangely I find that appealing at this point, with the bloat gw2 classes are becoming with all the skills or traits that do 2-3 things at once, or even classes that can perform all roles because of their available specs.

----------------------------

As for the topic, well, new world isn't going to kill wvw. Like every new game, especially one this hyped it will draw from all the mmo's, especially the people who are bored with their pvp, or rvr, or their game in general. But how long will that last? the typical 1-3 months before people start crawling back?

There isn't really anything new and mind blowing about new world pve or pvp, best they tried to do was schedule signup 50v50 instances in open world pvp to tackle imbalances, lmao. Is there even a mechanic in place to prevent stacking? which we all know ultimately will be the downfall.

I'd like to have some competition to at least light a fire in anet for more wvw development/balancing. I'd like to think it already has, since Colin came back and they declared wvw a "cornerstone" after nine years. But I don't even get the sense they're confident in the alliance solution, whether they're being vague as usual to not have another three year alliance meme, or they really don't know if it will work as a solution.

Where is a blog to update us on everything? sept 24 will be here in two weeks and they haven't updated information on the system from like two years ago. Why are we being trickled information about potential future development in some random stream that 100 people watch? Like hello? knock knock, you have forums and website, use them.

It's kinda crazy that wvw has survived this long with it's lack of development/balancing/communication, it should be more dead than ff14 pvp at this point. Just too bad anet doesn't see how great wvw is/could be, like the players that stuck around for all these years.

Edited by Xenesis.6389

12 hours ago, HARDOFREADING.7298 said:

Complete and total lack of support for competitive game modes is par for the course. Complete lack of balance.  Total destruction of mechanics introduced years and oft times months prior.

As a gw 1 Beta player whose original guild was one of the 1st sigils dropped from the Hall of Heroes on Day 1 of the pre-weekend and an FPS League Gold Medal Recipient several seasons running in TF and CS, all I could offer in my own elitist way, was suggestions that went unheeded for years.

The disappointment of many of us is total.

Deservedly so....

But still the elite continue to play because GW2 is the best out there. These arguments seem mostly to stem from mmg (make me gud) attitude whenever palyers need to adjust to others being given a chance against them