EoD Main Features look like they were done in a week......

I'll personally reserve my judgment until the features are polished and prepared for launch. Right now it's too early to say whether they will be revolutionary like the mounts were or not. I remain optimistic though. GW2 is good at taking traditional MMO features and turning them into something unique and fun, and I hope that the same will happen with fishing and skiffs.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

You apperently dont understand logic on a fundamental level.

You where still wrong on a basic level for complaining about something you had not seen yet.

it was more than predictable with the new arena team

fishing is already the most boring content on a mmo and they still managed not to make it original

well done.

Edited by radda.8920
  • Like 4
  • Confused 6

37 minutes ago, radda.8920 said:

it was more than predictable with the new arena team

I would strongly disagree, while their have been kittenups in the ibs, their also where moments of greatness. 

Any feature anet makes can go either way at this point. 

37 minutes ago, radda.8920 said:

fishing is already the most boring content on a mmo and they still managed not to make it original

well done.

Mounts are also boring content in mmo's, even moreso then fishing. 

Their succes or failure to implement good fishing is irrelevant to the question whether people where right in doomsaying. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Crono.4197 said:

Then enlighten us, what is "good content" ? Other than features that will make this game be like any other average MMO, like "higher level, vertical progression, game focused only on raids and PvP, gear that changes every 3 months, housing, etc."

For most people complaining about Guild Wars 2, "good content" is elitist content. I'd like to see people here mention more features which would genuinely be fun and not just something that shows "I'm a better player than you, haha!"

Good content would be new systems that change up core gameplay and add new ways of combat or movement. They keep the game replayable and make even old content feel fresh. 

What anet has done is looked at the list of requested features and chosen the 2 cheapest and low effort ones that offer nothing in terms of game changing additions and hyped them to be main selling points. Fishing and skiffs would be great additions as SIDE features but a minigame even I with limited coding knowledge could code in a month, and a reskinned skimmer without even any animations, are such lazy efforts for the main draw of an expansion that they charge full price for. Its disappointing that people would defend this minimum effort after we had great main features as well as great side features, like fishing should be, in Hot and Pof. 

If they really wanted to make boats the main draw they could have put in effort to actually make them different to skimmers, giving them sailing mechanics and possible combat features, or used the bounties/world bosses to add big fishing targets that need squads of players to take down. That would have given the game replayability at least, instead of doubling down on the semi afk gameplay that makes 0 use of the combat system.

Such a shame they cancelled half a season ruined the entire gw1 storyline that was carried over for close to 10 years for this. And anyone who thinks there are going to be significant improvements between now and release are kidding themselves. That has never happened in gw2 history.

Edited by zombyturtle.5980
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 9

1 hour ago, zombyturtle.5980 said:

What anet has done is looked at the list of requested features and chosen the 2 cheapest and low effort ones that offer nothing in terms of game changing additions and hyped them to be main selling points. Fishing and skiffs would be great additions as SIDE features but a minigame even I with limited coding knowledge could code in a month, and a reskinned skimmer without even any animations, are such lazy efforts for the main draw of an expansion that they charge full price for. Its disappointing that people would defend this minimum effort after we had great main features as well as great side features, like fishing should be, in Hot and Pof. 

“Lazy”? It’s almost like there was a global pandemic that might have disrupted things a little. I paid for more story and especs, I consider the other features to be bonuses because of the value for money I’ll get out of the core stuff.

• Like 8
  • Confused 5

7 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

This guy wants Vertical progession in Gw2.

This alone is reason enough to ignore everything he says.

You mean like the vertical progression they added with ascended gear which set the new bar for gearing in raids?

And also, Fractals, which required ascended gear in order to reach certain agony resistance to achieve higher levels.....

You know....two of the biggest PvE aspects of the game? Take those two away and the main PvE feature left is boss trains.....

So yes....vertical progression is already a major part of the game, it's just not the only part like most other MMO's.

This doesn't mean new areas of vertical progression couldn't help keep players long term.

The fact that you don't understand this basic gameplay loop to keep players long term is reason enough that you should avoid posting on forums and embarrassing yourself any further.

Edited by Luclinraider.2317
  • Confused 13

5 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Except what is best for GW2 isn't determined by you ... so this can't be true. Your hope here was to get a bunch of features that Anet isn't planning on releasing and now you are just acting out because of it. You already know these threads you make aren't going to spur Anet into reworking their game to give you the features you want either ...

so no, your motives here aren't honest. 

Unfortunately it's player like you that cause GW2 to be in the state that it is today, not even ranked in the Top 10 in NA population.

Just being blindly happy with mediocrity is the definition of an enemy of the game. You may think you are a true fan, but you're quite the opposite. You're doing nothing but hurting the longevity of the game by not letting them know what we as players want, both existing, and potential future players. Some of the items I list are actually from communities I play other MMO's with. One of these groups are from WoW Arena and is 100's of players. Dozens of them all say they loved GW2, but quit because competitive PvP is their main focus, and downed state takes all forms of competitiveness away. So yes, removing downed state could potentially help the games long term numbers.

It's a hard truth, but GW2 would be better off without players like you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 11

8 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

You mean like the vertical progression they added with ascended gear which set the new bar for gearing in raids?

And also, Fractals, which required ascended gear in order to reach certain agony resistance to achieve higher levels.....

You know....two of the biggest PvE aspects of the game? Take those two away and the main PvE feature left is boss trains.....

So yes....vertical progression is already a major part of the game, it's just not the only part like most other MMO's.

This doesn't mean new areas of vertical progression couldn't help keep players longer term.

The fact that you don't understand this basic gameplay loop to keep players long term is reason enough that you should avoid posting on forums and embarrassing yourself any further.

No, it's not, you'd be fine with exotics for anything other than fractals. Not only that, but there's a significant difference between the time and effort it takes to get legendary gear vs ascended gear, which is why one giving power is k and the other wouldn't be.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No, it's not, you'd be fine with exotics for anything other than fractals. Not only that, but there's a significant difference between the time and effort it takes to get legendary gear vs ascended gear, which is why one giving power is k and the other wouldn't be.

Have you cleared all raid content in exotic gear?

I'm not even sure you could find a raiding guild to take you if you were in full exotic gear....the stats difference is too great.

Yes, you can do anything in any game even without min maxing (There are glad rogues who do arena naked with just 2 weapons in hand).

But that doesn't mean the meta is not to be in the best gear possible. And that meta is what drives a lot of players to play for months or years.

Bringing in new players and retaining those players is a key part of a successful MMO.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 10

3 hours ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

If I didn't, it would suddenly be false? But yes, it's not exactly a problem. What point are you trying to make?

I'm not even sure you could find a raiding guild to take you if you were in full exotic gear....the stats difference is too great.

It's irrelevant if you're sure about it or not, because the fact is that you don't need raiding guild to raid in the first place. You're trying to fish (hue) for a point here, but it fails. If you HAVE a point, then make it. If you don't, then don't pretend you do, while actively searching for literally anything.

YBut that doesn't mean the meta is not to be in the best gear possible. And that meta is what drives a lot of players to play for months or years.

"Not only that, but there's a significant difference between the time and effort it takes to get legendary gear vs ascended gear, which is why one giving power is k and the other wouldn't be." 🤔

3 hours ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

Retaining players and keeping those players playing is a key part of a successful MMO.

And anyone who wants to work towards it, already has long-term goals they can set for themselves. Just like the response above, this is literally what I've already wrote about in this very thread:

"All it would do is just passively make long-term players even stronger on top of simply being more knowledgable than new players. This is the long term goal that people can choose not to follow BECAUSE they don't lose power by not getting it."

Legendary armory very clearly already increased the value and desirability of legendary gear WITHOUT powercreeping everything and everyone, while at the same time not punishing newer players that -with your ideas in place- wouldn't even be able to compete with long-term ones -even if we forget about the knowledge and practice gap.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

I don’t want Housing. It’s so boring and everyone just sits in his house. 
we don’t know anything yet about the Turtles or the strike cms, we don’t know anything about the story or other features. 

There is also two additional masteries not revealed yet either.

59 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

Unfortunately it's player like you that cause GW2 to be in the state that it is today, not even ranked in the Top 10 in NA population.

No, players 'like me' have nothing to do with what Anet decides is best for the game ... nor players 'like you'. Likely, no player or group of players holds so much influence over Anet that you can accuse them of not getting the content you want. What I said still is true: Your threads have nothing to do with what's best for the game because you incorrectly assumed that things you want automatically result in what's best. That's nonsense.

Your threads are all about what YOU want the game to be for YOU, regardless of how it impacts the game. Your approach doesn't fool anyone and anyone that disagrees with you isn't 'an enemy' of the game. That's nonsense. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, zombyturtle.5980 said:

If they really wanted to make boats the main draw they could have put in effort to actually make them different to skimmers, giving them sailing mechanics and possible combat features, or used the bounties/world bosses to add big fishing targets that need squads of players to take down. That would have given the game replayability at least

Oooh, what a cool idea! Take down an underwater boss, then receive a "special hot spot" for fishing in return. Perhaps they can implement something like that still.

2 hours ago, zombyturtle.5980 said:

Such a shame they cancelled half a season ruined the entire gw1 storyline that was carried over for close to 10 years for this. And anyone who thinks there are going to be significant improvements between now and release are kidding themselves. That has never happened in gw2 history.

It's my biggest fear, too, but I will try to remain positive until the actual release. If it will turn out to be a total letdown like the IBS finale, the upcoming new legendaries, the first three previewed elite specs, and the skiffs and fishing feature as the main selling point, I think I'm going to cry. 😢😉

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Uruk.3215 said:

I'll personally reserve my judgment until the features are polished and prepared for launch. Right now it's too early to say whether they will be revolutionary like the mounts were or not. I remain optimistic though. GW2 is good at taking traditional MMO features and turning them into something unique and fun, and I hope that the same will happen with fishing and skiffs.

^ This, 100,000%. I learned the hard way from mounts. I was absolutely certain I would hate them, since they are so boring in every other game I saw them in. Just different reskins of the same, lame, slightly-faster-and-floaty movement. PoF proved me dead wrong on that, and I now accept that as a player with no development expertise, it is my imagination that is lacking when it comes to predicting the impact of new features and systems.

The recent fishing/skiff stream already made skiffs seem a lot better than I imagined. As for fishing, I openly admit I have mmo-fishing PTSD from Black Desert, so there is very little that ANet could do to make me feel hyped about it. This is not to say that I'm totally pumped about skiffs, but I'm keeping an open mind about it.

21 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

Yes, you can do anything in any game even without min maxing (There are glad rogues who do arena naked with just 2 weapons in hand).

But that doesn't mean the meta is not to be in the best gear possible. And that meta is what drives a lot of players to play for months or years.

I found a guild that trains and clears raids, and yes, I did it in exotics. I ran condi firebrand with a bit of quickness too. This was before the legendary armory was a thing, so the majority of the team was also in exotics as well. It wasn't the cleanest or elite-est clear ever, but we made kills, learned, and had a good time.

From the sound of it, the real question seems to be: have you tried raiding, like at all? Yes, there is a meta, and yes, there is a 5-10% optimization from ascended gear and infusions, but it's not necessary and any raiding guild that actually wants to teach people isn't going to demand more than exotics from anyone.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

Bringing in new players and retaining those players is a key part of a successful MMO.

So you want this game to be like any other MMO, where you change gear every few months and to have a community of snobs that look down on lower geared people, got it. It seems for you everything in MMOs is about better gear, doing raids all day and PvP.

I suggest trying another MMO if that's what you want, the majority of Guild Wars 2 players are here because they are running from vertical progression. You say you love the game, but you're suggesting that this game turns into your average MMO, which means you don't actually love it and you want it to be molded to your personal will. And this would also cause a mass exodus because as I said above, most players don't want vertical progression.

Someone that wants the game's core to be changed 180 degrees is not someone who "loves the game" as you state you do.

Edited by Crono.4197
Small typo
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

In a way, we can say that arena is very lucky to have a community of players who have no ambition for this game.

they don't need to bother creating original content, they just have to make salmon fishing possible and almost everyone applauds while there are dozens of things that could make this game extraordinary.

So in the end, there is nothing wrong with arena, why they would tire of creating  innovative content if players are amazed  to spam F in a pond.

Edited by radda.8920
  • Like 3
  • Confused 12

15 minutes ago, radda.8920 said:

So in the end, there is nothing wrong with arena, why they would tire of creating  innovative content if players are amazed  to spam F in a pond.

So true. Some players forget this is a business and if Anet doesn't create content that entice players to patronize their business, they will cease to exist. For some reason, some players think they know better than Anet what that content is. That's just arrogant and based on the track record, it's hard to believe Anet has all the sudden forgotten how to run this game as a business. 

Luckily for us, Anet has created content that does continue to appeal to players to patronize them and the things included in EoD aren't an exception to that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

This doesn't mean new areas of vertical progression couldn't help keep players long term.

"vertical progression is already a major part of the game"

We NEVER had any vertical progression in this game since ascended gear released.

The only part that could be considered " vertical progression" is AR but thats a huge stretch.

Gw2 is about horizontal progression. That why people play it.

If someone wants vertical progression, they play WoW/FF14

The moment Gw2 becomes a Gear Treadmill like WoW, i quit this game.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

No, players 'like me' have nothing to do with what Anet decides is best for the game ... nor players 'like you'. Likely, no player or group of players holds so much influence over Anet that you can accuse them of not getting the content you want. What I said still is true: Your threads have nothing to do with what's best for the game because you incorrectly assumed that things you want automatically result in what's best. That's nonsense.

Your threads are all about what YOU want the game to be for YOU, regardless of how it impacts the game. Your approach doesn't fool anyone and anyone that disagrees with you isn't 'an enemy' of the game. That's nonsense. 

You're right, the enemies of the game are the enemies of the game. And right now, those are the individuals that are insisting we stay the course of a failed Esport scene, a PvP scene with more bots than players, a failed WvW scene, a PvE scene with so few players they aren't even going to continuing making raids.....the list goes on.

The simple fact is, the game needs change. In other words, those of you insisting more of the same is fine, are the enemies of the game in this current scenario.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 11

2 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

You're right, the enemies of the game are the enemies of the game. And right now, those are the individuals that are insisting we stay the course of a failed Esport scene, a PvP scene with more bots than players, a failed WvW scene, a PvE scene with so few players they aren't even going to continuing making raids.....the list goes on.

The simple fact is, the game needs change. In other words, those of you insisting more of the same is fine, are the enemies of the game in this current scenario.

None of that makes sense ... the game doesn't need to change because you say so with the hope you get content you want to see. If the game was a business failure, it wouldn't be here right now so clearly, you are assessing the game from your own biased view, likely because you aren't getting what you want. 

Again, this is a business and if it needs to change, it will be Anet that decide if that's true and how it's done, not you. You have no idea if the game needs to change; you don't know how Anet is measuring their business to see if it's successful. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Crono.4197 said:

So you want this game to be like any other MMO, where you change gear every few months and to have a community of snobs that look down on lower geared people, got it. It seems for you everything in MMOs is about better gear, doing raids all day and PvP.

I suggest trying another MMO if that's what you want, the majority of Guild Wars 2 players are here because they are running from vertical progression. You say you love the game, but you're suggesting that this game turns into your average MMO, which means you don't actually love it and you want it to be molded to your personal will. And this would also cause a mass exodus because as I said above, most players don't want vertical progression.

Someone that wants the game's core to be changed 180 degrees is not someone who "loves the game" as you state you do.

I never said the game needs to become 100% vertical progression. However, having some vertical progression in the game is a good thing. There is a good size chunk of the community who only play to climb fractals and push raids. That's the portion of the community that AR and ascended gear help keep in the game.

Even with these, there's still TONS of horizontal content in the game.

• Confused 8

2 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

None of that makes sense ... the game doesn't need to change because you say so. Again, this is a business and if it needs to change, it will be Anet that decide if that's true and how it's done, not you. 

An MMO with 100k daily players or anywhere near there needs to change.

For comparison, FF14 has had about 6 million daily players....just so we can see what the current top end looks like.

What will end up happening as the player count continues to drop is that there will be less and less people to spend money on the cash shop.

And I feel people often forget who runs ANet....it's NCSoft....a company notorious for pulling the plug in an instant when a game starts to lose money.

If the player count continues to drop....it's lights out for GW2.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

7 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

That doesn't make sense. How do you know if 100K players per day is indicates an MMO needs to change? How do you even know if GW2 is pulling those numbers of players or not? What tells you Anet can't make a business of GW2 with 100K players per day?

The fact is that You don't have a clue. In fact, you are literally INVENTING stats and generalizations to justify your biased views that you know better than Anet on how they should run their business. That's absolutely absurd. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

For comparison, FF14 has had about 6 million daily players....just so we can see what the current top end looks like.

What will end up happening as the player count continues to drop is that there will be less and less people to spend money on the cash shop.

And I feel people often forget who runs ANet....it's NCSoft....a company notorious for pulling the plug in an instant when a game starts to lose money.

If the player count continues to drop....it's lights out for GW2.

I rather see the game die then see it get to be Generic Gear Treadmill MMO number 10001.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1