Is Your PC EoD-Ready

I doubt Gw2 will ever require me to upgrade my PC, this is almost a decade old game at this point.
I play most games maxed out these days even new ones and the only ones that I don't play maxed are games that are horrendously optimised such as ARK lol.

Gw2 is mostly maxed out but there are a few things I keep off for preference more than anything, such as super sampling.
The only performance issues I ever get with Gw2 are related to the online element, not my hardware.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

I doubt Gw2 will ever require me to upgrade my PC, this is almost a decade old game at this point.
I play most games maxed out these days even new ones and the only ones that I don't play maxed are games that are horrendously optimised such as ARK lol.

Gw2 is mostly maxed out but there are a few things I keep off for preference more than anything, such as super sampling.
The only performance issues I ever get with Gw2 are related to the online element, not my hardware.

So much this. The only thing i turn off is post processing because it makes my eyes bleed.

People seem to forget gw2 is cpu bound atm, with an engine upgrade that will free up the cpu and put more weight into the vid card, and there will be better multithreading according to them.

Also you cant just swap out the chipset cheaply, so just because an integrated ryzen only costs a few hundred bucks, you are not taking into consideration the new motherboard and other hardware you will have to buy to support it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

wow is even older and it dropped support for dx9 , they will have to upgrade as vid card manufactures drop support. technology moves on, final fantasy , warframe, wow and many other have evolved. gw2 will be forced to evolve also as more and more companies end support.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

wow is even older and it dropped support for dx9 , they will have to upgrade as vid card manufactures drop support. technology moves on, final fantasy , warframe, wow and many other have evolved. gw2 will be forced to evolve also as more and more companies end support.

Requiring 2012 technology (when GW2 was launched) a whole 10 years later is not evolving IMO. It is merely setting reasonable expectations for CPUs/GPUs instead of holding the game back. For example having many load screens or hallways/elevator type of areas is to account for slower hard disks. I would say 5 years is the average replacement cycle for technology (mobile phones more in line with 2-3 years due to the faster pace of advancement  , 3 year Android security updates, and the carrier subsidies), with major jumps such as double the mainstream CPU socket core count, DDR4 , PCIE 4.0 (in the future not necessarily now), and mainstream NVMe SSDs being major improvements overall.

If it (the new DX11 client coming along) can play* on 1080p low settings with a 2012 era mid-tier quadcore i5-3450 + HD7950 / HD 7870 / HD7850 / GTX 660 / GTX 660 Ti / GTX 760 and on high/ultra with a 2 year old 2020-era mid-tier hexcore i5-10400 / Ryzen 5 5600X + RTX 2060 / RX 5600XT I would say they achieved that.
Per Steam hardware survey the top GPU is GTX 1060 which is on par with GTX 1650 Ti / GTX 1650 Super and RX 5500XT.

* By play I mean not drop below Freesync/Gsync range.

Even if you are looking at 2012 era bulky gaming laptops , the typical system is using i7-3720QM / i7-3610QM and GPUs akin to GTX670M or GTX660M. Path of Fire launched in 2017 so if you look at 2017 era laptops it's more akin to i7-7700HQ + GTX 1060 / GTX 1070 mobile.

The fact is it would look extremely unfavorable for their partnership with Dell if the $1500 G15 laptop with 8 cores (Ryzen 7 5800H / i7-11800H) and RTX 3060 is unable to play at near max settings. (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-with-your-new-dell-g-series-laptop/)

An extremely beneficial feature that could be introduced with EOD is a standalone benchmark tool for people deciding to try the game. It would let them know right away what kind of performance to expect. FF14 does that right now with every major patch. It's also free exposure for the game if major tech outlets use it for comparison of CPUs/GPUs.
---

P.S. Windows 10 was launched 2015 so if you're saying people that aren't tech saavy should ditch Windows 7 to them it means to ditch their whole computer.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Confused 1

Well, that's where "recommended settings" come in. I don't think anyone will mind that the max settings requires a good computer and even desirable for those with new computers.

That being said, stop running Windows 7 if you can, folks. It's no longer supported and your computer will become a security risk.

With the internet becoming more central to life and there is no limit to the amount of personal information that you may value that passes through your network, I think a few hundred dollars over the course of a few years is a good investment. And even ignoring that, you're going to be with that slab of silicon and steel all the time for years. How much time do you lose when stuff goes bad or just doesn't work well?

I'm not telling people to go out and spend like $1000 either to get something with all the fancy lights. But just recognize your pc as a tool.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 6:38 AM, Mortifera.6138 said:

I bought this PC 9 years ago to play vanilla GW2. I've had minimal upgrades, so PoF wasn't the best fps-wise. Will EoD put a strain on the PC even further? Is your PC ready for EoD?

Try cloud gaming. GW2 is on Geforce Now. Short session is for free, you can test it and then buy premium account on GFN if your internet handle this. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2021 at 8:26 AM, Eraden.8740 said:

Case with glass windows is by Fractal and the water cooling unit is also by Fractal. Had it built back in February specifically to play this game. Has made this game so much fun.

Yes, the case is very important for a smooth performance, and the glass windows definitely enhance the FPS by an additional 20-30. Of course, GW2 is known to require this, alongside the latest high-end hardware, for it uses the latest graphics technology in gaming.

Also, you didn't build it yourself?!? Aww, what a shame - I am sorry to break it to you, but this will drop your FPS by at least 60, or so I was told.

😂

• Haha 3

A pc is quite an investment now. I built mine in 2018 and its already becoming obsolete. With the skyrocketing prices of components its no longer ideal to even build a rig at this point. The bare bones build i could come up with was 750 and some change, and thats before adding the OS and without a discrete video card. 

If you want something good expect to pay a min of 1000 to build and 1500 prebuilt min.

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 2

The video card. Can't get one. Can't build a new rig. Suppose I could build one under my 1070, but yikes. I know all the Scooter Von Dooters bought them for their bitP33ns or what not, but these days, I'm not so sure there isn't something shady going on between manufacturers and PC builders. How is it I can't buy a card, but DigitalStorm or iBuyPower will happily put one in a rig for me? Granted, it's like "Bob's nVidia Card" and not a brand I prefer.

"The drive thru..." - Leo Getz

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

A pc is quite an investment now. I built mine in 2018 and its already becoming obsolete. With the skyrocketing prices of components its no longer ideal to even build a rig at this point. The bare bones build i could come up with was 750 and some change, and thats before adding the OS and without a discrete video card. 

If you want something good expect to pay a min of 1000 to build and 1500 prebuilt min.

If you're just playing this game and your system was made in 2018, that shouldn't be obsolete by any means.

Though guess what good depends from person to person. I don't play many games besides this so my comp from late 2016 works well enough. Dx11 ran quite well (when it didn't crash though lately it crashed too much, forcing a switch back to dx9)

But yes it's a bad time to buy a PC and it doesn't seem like building yourself even saves much. It would be better if you can just reuse the same graphics card.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

18 hours ago, notebene.3190 said:

The video card. Can't get one. Can't build a new rig. Suppose I could build one under my 1070, but yikes. I know all the Scooter Von Dooters bought them for their bitP33ns or what not, but these days, I'm not so sure there isn't something shady going on between manufacturers and PC builders. How is it I can't buy a card, but DigitalStorm or iBuyPower will happily put one in a rig for me? Granted, it's like "Bob's nVidia Card" and not a brand I prefer.

"The drive thru..." - Leo Getz

Oh, they are absolutely catering to the miners. I don't quite get the PC builder angle but am sure it's to maximize profit.

Edited by Zephyr.5382
  • Like 2