Would you pay for a Realm Reborn Guild Wars 2?

Kilty.4906

Would you pay for a Realm Reborn Guild Wars 2?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. We just solved the threat of the elder dragons and the death of the commander of the pact as an outcome, some few years have passed and now as a citizen of reclaimed Orr you must fill the hole that the commander has left and fight for Tyria. A revamped experience of GW2, with mounts, gliders and skiffs in mind, where you are a citizen of reclaimed Orr (you still can choose a race but the story and VA is more generic), with huge METAs and dungeons, fractals, strike missions and even Raids.

• Yes, and I would like it to be B2P (current monetization plan; heavily dependent of micro-transactions);
    • Yes, but I would like it to be P2P (similar monetization for games like WOW and FFXIV; minimal dependency of micro-transactions);
    • No;
    • Other (leave a comment);

We just solved the threat of the elder dragons and the death of the commander of the pact as an outcome, some few years have passed and now as a citizen of reclaimed Orr you must fill the hole that the commander has left and fight for Tyria. A revamped experience of GW2, with mounts, gliders and skiffs in mind, where you are a citizen of reclaimed Orr (you still can choose a race but the story and VA is more generic), with huge METAs and dungeons, fractals, strike missions and even Raids.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 12

I don't understand the point.

More generic?  As in every race has the same VO?  As in everyone has the same story? (I think we already have that after the Personal Story, pretty much.)

Except for Dungeons (which became Fractals), we already have Metas, Strikes, Raids, and more coming; at least Metas and Strikes. 

What exactly do you feel needs to be 'revamped', and how? 

• Like 5

Perhaps there’s some confusion. FFXIV was terrible in beta, terrible at launch, and in desperation they pulled it down, revamped it, and rereleased it as a Realm Reborn.

No matter your thoughts about GW2 it’s been chugging along for 9 years now. It’s a bit long in the tooth to get that same treatment.

And as someone who was part of the beta for both games, FFXIV desperately needed it. GW2 does not.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

So is this a thinly veiled "vote for GW3" thread? 'Cuz if they add anything to GW2, I would expect it to be more of the same -- part of a paid expansion, with LW seasons to follow, related skins in the gem store, etc.

If we ever get GW3 I don't think we will have the same combat and that's pretty much what I love most in GW2. I would expect this Reborn version to be something more similar to FFXIV, first we would get their business model (P2P) which would lead to a more light cash shop, then LW would be just regular updates with no pay wall and we would have more fun rewards.

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Or thinly veiled “I want to pay a sub and do raids like in real MMOs!”?

TBH I don't really like P2P, mostly because where I live they end up being expensive, but if that means I could get a cool skin without swiping 25 bucks I would totally take it. And yeah, I also wish we would get more challenging end game content.

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I don't understand the point.

More generic?  As in every race has the same VO?  As in everyone has the same story? (I think we already have that after the Personal Story, pretty much.)

Except for Dungeons (which became Fractals), we already have Metas, Strikes, Raids, and more coming; at least Metas and Strikes. 

What exactly do you feel needs to be 'revamped', and how? 

Well, a huge problem with GW2 story is every race has 2 VA, for a total of 10 voice talent, and since personal story can branch, these VOs also have flavored dialog, so a huge portion of the budget goes to this. I think we could still get some of it but instead of 10 VAs we would get two. Also, the story would be more personal and easier to maintain since everyone has the same roots.

As for what I would expect, well I would expect the old zones to be in pair to the pretty zones we are getting, adding also support to mounts, gliders and skiffs, so the content would be build with these elements in mind as well with E-specs in mind, so we would get rid of power creep. Also, I vouch for dungeon, fractals are fun but they are so displaced of the actual problems in Tyria. They could also add difficulty options to end-game content. I know some of these problems can be solved, but relaunching the game could bring attention to new players.

2 hours ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

Why would we be going back to Orr to revamped content there? 

Well, according to lore, Orr was once a pretty city and since we were the ones that freed it from Zhaitan, this place would probably be the new LA, but without the pirates (and now the water-park theme).

36 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Perhaps there’s some confusion. FFXIV was terrible in beta, terrible at launch, and in desperation the pulled it down, revamped it, and rereleased it as a Realm Reborn.

No matter your thoughts about GW2 it’s been chugging along for 9 years now. It’s a bit long in the tooth to get that same treatment.

And as someone who was part of the beta for both games, FFXIV desperately needed it. GW2 does not.

GW2 has a big problem, they don't iterate their content, like dungeons, raid, DRMs and also, the mindset that everything has to be easy, like adding auxiliary potions in fractals or even mistlock itself or adding EMP to help ppl that doesn't bring CCs to a fight or don't know what is cc and besides they could also fix the power creep or add new content to core Tyria or make old places relevant. This without saying if they choose P2P, they could easy on the gem store and since it's a relauch it could bring new players. Also, they could make the story more generic and save some bucks from the VA budget. Also, season 1 would be gone, since that story would belong to old GW2.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

I don't get the point for this. FFXIV was taken offline for months (over a year?) while they rebuilt it because it had so many issues at release and people were demanding refunds.

Anet has said that they have years of content planned beyond EoD and a lot of people are looking forward to the elder dragon storyline being done so there can be a focus on other things.

A companion single-player game (easier to develop and needs far less resources) taking place elsewhere in Tyria could work but it would be a poor business decision to have people invest 10+ years of their life into characters and the story only to tell people they have to go to this sub par sequel that is focused on humans. It might be fine for human players but why would asura be there? Why would norn? Why would sylvari? Charr are in a distant second to humans simply because of the Flame Legion attack on Orr, but even they aren't interested in reclaiming it.

Plus it's going to take centuries for Orr to be remotely habitable thanks to centuries of Zhaitan's magic.

Though that sounds like it would do better as a book or fanfic. It's too niche for mass appeal even for people familiar with Tyria and Orr.

So no, I would not pay for such a thing. GW2 is quite possibly the last MMO I'll play to this degree any time soon and I'm never going back to subscription games.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zephire.8049 said:

I don't get the point for this. FFXIV was taken offline for months (over a year?) while they rebuilt it because it had so many issues at release and people were demanding refunds.

Anet has said that they have years of content planned beyond EoD and a lot of people are looking forward to the elder dragon storyline being done so there can be a focus on other things.

A companion single-player game (easier to develop and needs far less resources) taking place elsewhere in Tyria could work but it would be a poor business decision to have people invest 10+ years of their life into characters and the story only to tell people they have to go to this sub par sequel that is focused on humans. It might be fine for human players but why would asura be there? Why would norn? Why would sylvari? Charr are in a distant second to humans simply because of the Flame Legion attack on Orr, but even they aren't interested in reclaiming it.

Plus it's going to take centuries for Orr to be remotely habitable thanks to centuries of Zhaitan's magic.

Though that sounds like it would do better as a book or fanfic. It's too niche for mass appeal even for people familiar with Tyria and Orr.

So no, I would not pay for such a thing. GW2 is quite possibly the last MMO I'll play to this degree any time soon and I'm never going back to subscription games.

A spin-off game I always wanted for Guild wars, is a RTS like age of empire or warcraft. Each race is a different army. Some troop cool be inspire by racial skill/art and they cpuld even throw some classe as Hero.

In short, I wouldn't pay for a GW2 remake. Mainly because I think GW2 is fundamentally good.
I may pay for a GW3 game though that learned from all the mistakes in GW2, but improved greatly on it's mistakes (mainly [hopefully] on not how to abandon content), a new revamped game engine, and a stronger and cohesive vision of what the game will be.

I would like some polish on older content in GW2, but honestly, I think it is still pretty decent and doesn't have to be remade.

I also would pay for single player RPGs based in Tyria that really flushes some cool lore and whatnot, since I really think there is so much potential in the world of Tyria that is untapped or just not really do-able in an MMO.

A Realm Reborn happened because the original lead director messed it up so bad that Square apologized for making the game. If they didn't do it, nobody would have trusted the company again. Luckily it turned out to be a massive success and a great game was born out of it.

Guild Wars 2 on the other hand simply just has a varied experience across the board due to horizontal scaling and the age of the game. While I do think they need to update some old content, remaking Tyria to be in the style of current content is pretty much making a sequel.

As of now, the game doesn't warrant any apologies for existing and we're not quite at sequel territory

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

No, I like how the game is currently, and I enjoy that it is one of the few MMORPGs that I can play casually and not feel like I am missing out on anything. This is a fun game save for the love the devs seem to have for enemies having chaining CC skills. We don't need a GW3, GW2 is good enough.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zephire.8049 said:

I am a bit bored (to say the least) with the dragon storyline.  I welcome something new. I hope GW2 is around for a long time.  😎

(what is VA?) 

• Like 1

ARR was necessary, because the original game did not meet its high expectations and was shipped in a state that reminded most players of an open beta. After the ARR polish, FFXIV was playable and considered a good MMORPG.

GW2 is a good MMORPG already. Some mechanics are surely outdated after 9+ years. But we have not reached a state where it was almost unplayable. Not going to lie, we have big issues ahead. But so far we survived for a very long time and been part in Top-MMORPG rankings all the time.

The doomcryers want GW2 to end since, launch? They actively play the game, they farm and have fun, but their greatest desire is that the servers shut down for good. Then we get GW3, it does not turn out to be as good as they wanted it to be. They get angry. Rinse and Repeat. #quithavingfunmeme

Edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Applying other games system to Guild wars 2, in my opinion is failing to understand that the players who generally play gw2 rather than said other games prefer the system that Guild Wars 2 already has. If they wanted Guild wars 2 to be some other game, they would be playing that other game.

If your idea is to pass, I'd rather it be a different game altogether, since my character is so far very well established to be The Commander. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kilty.4906 said:

If we ever get GW3 I don't think we will have the same combat and that's pretty much what I love most in GW2. I would expect this Reborn version to be something more similar to FFXIV, first we would get their business model (P2P) which would lead to a more light cash shop, then LW would be just regular updates with no pay wall and we would have more fun rewards.

Reborn had a completely different combat system than 1.0. In fact, while it reused story, some assets and ideas from the 1.0, ARR was in reality a completely new game. They might as well have called it the next game in the series, the "FF XIV-2" by that point, and they would have been completely correct in doing so.

So, you are basically asking for GW3, and just hoping it will have exactly the features you want, and none of the ones you do not want. Calling it "GW2 Reborn" will not make those assumptions any closer to being accomplished though - it would still be a completely new game with new design, in the same way GW2 had a different design compared to GW1.

• Like 4

I know I said GW2 "Realm Reborn" but I'm not comparing their issues to ours, after all we have 9 years extra of development. Also, I did not say the story would be focused on human, I chose Orr because the pact freed it so I would image Orr wouldn't belong to any race.

I just think this revamped GW2 could also have a cohesive tutorial that would properly explain the combat and the game systems,  removing reliant status or abilities such as fractal potions or EMP, as well removing the huge power creep in game and even adding support to mounts, gliders and skiffs on retroactive content, like they did for Shatterer. As well streamlining the story would save a lot on VO so maybe someday we could also get a new race. I also think this re-release would bring fresh new people to the game.

Edited by Kilty.4906
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Given that AAR completely replace the original (as far as I am informed), it's a hard no from me.

Wiping my (and everyone else's) accounts clean for something that may very well end up vastly inferior what the game has now is unreasonable and will most likely lead to a massive decline of players.

If it was a GW3, with GW2 going into maintenance mode like GW1, it might be worth to consider.

• Like 1