EoD looks so bad it's not even funny

On 12/4/2021 at 1:31 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

I certainly wouldn’t want to spend any time reading these forums. Criticism is one thing, but so often it is delivered here without humility nor kindness.

As someone who works for an, albeit much lower profile, entertainment organization myself, it takes a conscious choice to remember that most of our audience loves what we do, and a handful of detractors online are suffering from egging each other on to greater hostility.

But that is the nature of the industry. Every game no matter how good has people that will rail on its expansions or added content , saying its all been done before, or nothing new, or it sucks. As a developer you have to learn to deal with it , weed out the legit criticism and good ideas from the noise. 

You have to not let stuff get to you because life is not always roses and you cant expect it to be or you will be sorely disappointed  

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

But that is the nature of the industry. Every game no matter how good has people that will rail on its expansions or added content , saying its all been done before, or nothing new, or it sucks. As a developer you have to learn to deal with it , weed out the legit criticism and good ideas from the noise. 

You have to not let stuff get to you because life is not always roses and you cant expect it to be or you will be sorely disappointed  

Did you read the second part of  my post you responded to? Cause I specifically wrote about my experience tuning out the noise and finding the legit.

Still, it doesn't make it right to treat the devs with condescenscion, as they often are. And it is a good context to remember when people complain they aren't more active here. Taking abuse is not part of the job.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

With just days left before the release the OP looks like a prophet with a seeking eye glass of truth. This has to be the most underwhelming expansion Anet could have delivered. More strike missions in a living world season than an expansion.  

Fishing.  Freaking Fishing continues to lead the list of new features.  Omg! How there is not massive outrageous over this baffles me.

Lackluster (overall) elite specs (a feature HOT gets credit for), copy cat non unique legendary weapons, limited strike, no mention of raids, a single mount that does look cool, and more silly Aurene story nonsense. Just nothing appealing.

With the release of LOST ARK on the 8th of Feb for patrons and on the 11th for a truly free massive MMO that looks amazing - no idea how GW2 survives. Fan boys rise up. I think that's all that's going to left for thus game.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

Hm, Lost Ark. Gender locked classes, though Amazon says that’ll be fixed at an unspecified future date. Possible grinder typical for a Korean game depending on the reviews you read. 2.5D, not 3D

Probably will kill GW2 like Archeage did.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, SolidTx.3249 said:

With the release of LOST ARK on the 8th of Feb for patrons and on the 11th for a truly free massive MMO that looks amazing - no idea how GW2 survives. Fan boys rise up. I think that's all that's going to left for thus game.

Not long ago some people said exactly the same thing about the release of new world, soo... good luck with your prophecies.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

My hot take:. There was no expansion planned but NCSoft stepped in and required ANet to do something.  Instead of opening up the world to new places they went for a quick nostalgia step back.

The content we are getting from what they've shown tells me this was relatively rushed to get an expansion out.

Even the route of the new legendary weapons is apparent.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/23/2022 at 12:08 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

Not long ago some people said exactly the same thing about the release of new world, soo... good luck with your prophecies.

Depends. The "Honeymoon" period of an mmo its like 2 -3 months if the content is good. 
New World only demostrated that that phase can be reduced to 2 weeks if the content is bad, or the game is incompleted. Lost Ark is different in this way, because the game is alredy done they are only "adapting" it. 

My take: Eod will only mantain the gw2 population for a bit more, the important is how the next update cycle is gonna go. 
Why that? Mostly the features that Eod had presented are  ways to expand the experience of the content in the game. When the game ,considering that is  going to have 10 years, need a soft  or hard reebot of the systems in the game. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

On 10/8/2021 at 8:44 PM, Cynova.1236 said:

The only saving grace would be the Deep Sea Dragon... but I would bet all my gold they are doing this dragon dirty just like they did Kralk and Mordremoth... and giving it that cheesy, poorly-exaggerated, cliche voice that rips away anything cool or menacing about them.

Still optimistic, i bet we will have something like Primordus/Jormag on champions lol.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, phokus.8934 said:

My hot take:. There was no expansion planned but NCSoft stepped in and required ANet to do something.  Instead of opening up the world to new places they went for a quick nostalgia step back.

The content we are getting from what they've shown tells me this was relatively rushed to get an expansion out.

Even the route of the new legendary weapons is apparent.

This is not a hot take it's genuinely what happened.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

I really don't understand what exactly people were expecting out of this expansion. E-Specs were created so they could introduced new skills with less balancing issues than they had in GW1. Mounts and Gliding were created to introduced new ways to explore the maps. Take that and all the other updates and features they introduced over the years and you have a solid game. Have you every thought that maybe they decided to make a story focuses expansion?
When ANET was taking a billion and half years making GW2 after the original, people bitched that they were trying to recreate the wheel. And now people are bitching because they are not.  I mean how are you upset about an expansion you haven't even played? The release is still a month away.
The reality is that some of you are just bored, and I wish y'all would just say that and move on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Hey I am not complaining, I bought PoF and got EoD for free. So for me it’s a win win. But I suppose I am a small minority of the returning players who got to take advantage of the full bundle sale.

if I can get 80 hours out of EoD before the release of the legacy of the sith for swtor then I will be happy, I just need stuff to play until then 

• Confused 1

Frankly, I seriously regret pre-purchasing the Ultimate edition of EoD. To the point I have requested a refund (I really have no hope, I pre-purchased back in Sept, but there's no harm in asking). I haven't really played in months. I was doing the events for the legendary Amulet, but this final chapter, with the DRMs, turned me right off. They weren't fun the first time, and I really didn't want to go through them again. I don't like the WvW alliances, and WvW in general has gotten stale. As I primarily play a Necro, was quite excited for Harbinger, until it landed with, IMHO, a thud. So add that all together and it's a big meh for me. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, SkinnyT.5382 said:

I really don't understand what exactly people were expecting out of this expansion. E-Specs were created so they could introduced new skills with less balancing issues than they had in GW1. Mounts and Gliding were created to introduced new ways to explore the maps. Take that and all the other updates and features they introduced over the years and you have a solid game. Have you every thought that maybe they decided to make a story focuses expansion?
When ANET was taking a billion and half years making GW2 after the original, people bitched that they were trying to recreate the wheel. And now people are bitching because they are not.  I mean how are you upset about an expansion you haven't even played? The release is still a month away.
The reality is that some of you are just bored, and I wish y'all would just say that and move on.

Summarises most(though can't say all) complaints in this thread. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I wonder why End of Dragons is considered rushed when Path of Fire was not. 

cause the especs in beta were fun with good looking effect instead of place holder effect with copy pasted icons, the maps were good looking, the mounts were well thought and the story had a long build up.

EoD really is not an expansion, its an DLC, and the only thing that's acceptable is it's price point.

they could just call it an DLC and sell for 30, no one would complain

Edited by felix.2386
  • Like 7
  • Confused 7

11 hours ago, witcher.3197 said:

But literally the opposite happened. Anet lobbied with NCSoft for funding and autonomy to go ahead with a GW2 expansion, and not Yet Another Doomed Project, and finally won the case once S4 and the first few chapters of Icebrood started drawing back players into the game. Icebrood Saga was supposed to be three seasons long, with a separate entire season for the Charr Civil War, the Norn of Prophecy, and the Dance Of Dragons That Is Totally Not A Song Of Literal Ice & Fire. All of that had to be wrapped up/scrapped fast once EoD got greenlit for full production.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, felix.2386 said:

cause the especs in beta were fun with good looking effect instead of place holder effect with copy pasted icons, the maps were good looking, the mounts were well thought and the story had a long build up.

EoD really is not an expansion, its an DLC, and the only thing that's acceptable is it's price point.

So, it's rushed when you don't like it, but it's not rushed when you do, even though it's the same time frame?  Makes sense.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

15 hours ago, witcher.3197 said:

I believe it.

The way I see it is that ANet sold the idea of not having expansions but continuing the story arc and timeline through story updates and having "expansion like features" and NCSoft initially bought into it.  IBS fell seriously short of all expectations so NCSoft had ANet pull the plug on any side projects and retool their resources into an expansion; quite hastily too.  Because IBS left such a sour taste in the gamers mouths, ANet went with Cantha to try to restore the GW2 excitement and leave behind IBS.  However, perception is that it feels rushed, severely lacking (comparing to HoT and PoF), and a bit underwhelming from what has been shown.

I want GW2 to succeed as much as the next person but it doesn't mean we can't be critical of the product they're releasing.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

But literally the opposite happened. Anet lobbied with NCSoft for funding and autonomy to go ahead with a GW2 expansion, and not Yet Another Doomed Project, and finally won the case once S4 and the first few chapters of Icebrood started drawing back players into the game. Icebrood Saga was supposed to be three seasons long, with a separate entire season for the Charr Civil War, the Norn of Prophecy, and the Dance Of Dragons That Is Totally Not A Song Of Literal Ice & Fire. All of that had to be wrapped up/scrapped fast once EoD got greenlit for full production.

Can you link your source please? I’d love to read it.

• Thanks 1

Comment by those in video about things they knew and surmised, I think it was. IE it was known that ANet was trying to go for an expansion, and NCSoft was the one that steered them towards IBS, and the expansion happening wasn't to ANet's "surprise", but their goal. 

I am fairly confident that it is as was described, though.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

On 1/25/2022 at 5:17 AM, felix.2386 said:

Sorry, but you don't seem to understand what the terms you're trying to use mean. 😄

How exactly is eod not an expansion?

Sooo 4 people that can't respond, but instead spam confused reaction emotes because they know they're wrong, got it 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 5