Would you support a new progression server? Vanilla to HoT to PoF on a new account.

Logos.3042

Interest In A Guild Wars 2 Progression Server?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play on a progression server that did about ~6-9 months on vanilla, then on HoT, and then on PoF?

• Yes, I would
    • No, I wouldn't
    • Depends...
    • Undecided
  2. 2. When considering all factors, is this a good idea?

• Good idea!
    • Bad idea.
    • Depends...
    • Undecided

The idea would be to roll out a new server with a brand new economy.  It would roll out with the current balance and traits (as opposed to trying to go back to Vanilla or HoT skills), but would lock out elites/masteries/etc based on the progression that the server is at.

Why do this?  I would like to try vanilla and hot again closer to as they were.

Any interest in this?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

the devs would have to code it so it’s a separate system from the EU and NA servers.  I doubt there will be enough players to support a trading post or to do events. What exactly is gained by playing on mostly empty maps and not having many items in the trading post? 

Not really, they would just use the same system beta slots use - log on to entirely different servers from within your normal account.

That said, the suggestion is as pointless as vanilla WoW servers where. People will like it for a week and thats it.

Anet already "solved" that because they can literally do weekly events or instance rules instead. Would they do it to get the "old days" back? Prolly wont. Should they do it? Prolly not. But doing it like WoW did it is stupid regardless.

• Confused 1

What is the point of doubling the server capacity and potentially cut the player population in half? Not to mention those new servers, I imagine, would need an entirely separate maintenance cycle with staff to match. They would actually need to introduce a sub-fee or raise gem store prices to outer space to finance an idea like this.

Do you want a content rollout mimicking the actual release schedule? Strike up a new account and play the content according to the Story Journal, ignoring anything you have not yet reached. Or get hold of a Heroic Edition game code which only provides access to core content and upgrade that with the expansions at your own pace.

Even if you artificially slow it down, the experienced players will be far ahead of you, always. Returning to the game after 9 years, as we have many 'returners' right now, mostly feels like playing a new game. If you did not play BS Warrior during vanilla, you can and should pretty much start from scratch again.

With the current state of the game, the community and the economy, it is rather easy to catch up. What took us years to ascend can mostly be done within weeks. Some of the newbies I've met were able to close the gap from vanilla to IBS (including obtaining both Griffon and Skyscale) in half a year - while it took me the same time to get my first character to level 80 without even reaching the first map of Orr.

Although it gets a lot of hate, the economy is stable. Pressing the reset-button will not do the trick. In order to get it working, you would also have to wipe the memory of every single player. Else the veterans would just use their knowledge to make huge profits and probably ruin the community in its first steps. In the worst case you end up with an inflation rate of 50-200 % of gold. We would have the same or even a worse shadow-system with Mystic Coins. 

We cannot turn the clock back.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

How this any different from getting a new account and just playing it that way?

Agreed, and you can make a new account for free these days so this just seems like a huge waste of Anet's time and resources for very little positives.

Now if the new servers were going to rerelease living world 1 in it's original state before the expansions then that would be a game changer for a lot of people and I expect a lot of people would play on the new servers to just experience/re-live living world 1 again.
But that would be the only attractive element of doing something like this if you ask me, and frankly i'd rather just have a big living world 1 remaster in the normal Gw2.

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Not really, they would just use the same system beta slots use - log on to entirely different servers from within your normal account.

I think you missed my point. The OP said the maps would have a new, blank Trading Post. The trading post as is right now is world wide and has all servers in EU and NA. To have a separate trading post then it would need to be a new, separate system. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Logos.3042 said:

Everyone on the server is playing by the same rules, and the economy restarts.  Clean slate not just for you but all of the systems.

Not much of a clean slate for those who might join such a server in 6 months or a year.  Besides, everyone is currently playing by the same rules on the existing server and there is no need to "restart" the economy.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

I think you missed my point. The OP said the maps would have a new, blank Trading Post. The trading post as is right now is world wide and has all servers in EU and NA. To have a separate trading post then it would need to be a new, separate system. 

So? The slot you log can easily point to another account server with its own TP. In fact it wouldnt surprise me if Anet doesnt already have such a dev enviroment setup for tests.

• Confused 3

Nope.

I always loved the idea of Progression servers in Everquest and have been at the launch of like 5 of them, just for the excitement in the first few days/weeks.   

GW2 will never give this same experience though. The leveling is too fast, too mellow, too easy, too solo and also, everything is just too familiar even in Core Tyria, since even now after 8 years or so the game constantly directs you back to old zones so it is not that you never play there. 

In Everquest you were exited to see a packed Qeynos Hills again, in GW2 I am not going to be exited to see players in Wayfarer Foothills again, since I see them all the time there. 

Edited by Tyncale.1629
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Not much of a clean slate for those who might join such a server in 6 months or a year.  Besides, everyone is currently playing by the same rules on the existing server and there is no need to "restart" the economy.

Far cleaner than the inflation we have in game right now.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Compared to other games that implement this, it wouldn’t really work as intended with the way GW2s content is structured.

All content in GW2 is, in simple terms, still relevant after it’s released. The level cap is 80 and is not changing, raids released in HoT still give rewards that are usable in 2021, etc.

In WoW for example, every expansion or raid causes the previous ones to essentially become irrelevant. This isn’t quite as accurate in Classic Vanilla WoW, but the simple trend has become: new raid released, so you don’t run the old raid anymore. New expansion released with higher level cap, so you don’t do anything from the previous expansion besides leveling.

When a new expansion or content is released in GW2, it doesn’t really make the current content obsolete, it just gives more stuff to do.

Playing on a fresh progress / classic server, the only significant change would be what elites we have access to. It would still have the same content that we can already play in the live game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, AlexndrTheGreat.8310 said:

Compared to other games that implement this, it wouldn’t really work as intended with the way GW2s content is structured.

All content in GW2 is, in simple terms, still relevant after it’s released. The level cap is 80 and is not changing, raids released in HoT still give rewards that are usable in 2021, etc.

In WoW for example, every expansion or raid causes the previous ones to essentially become irrelevant. This isn’t quite as accurate in Classic Vanilla WoW, but the simple trend has become: new raid released, so you don’t run the old raid anymore. New expansion released with higher level cap, so you don’t do anything from the previous expansion besides leveling.

When a new expansion or content is released in GW2, it doesn’t really make the current content obsolete, it just gives more stuff to do.

Playing on a fresh progress / classic server, the only significant change would be what elites we have access to. It would still have the same content that we can already play in the live game.

The main reasons that I would play on a server like this would be to be on a server that could challenge you with HoT with just gliders.  It is challenging content that is trivialized by Mounts.  It would be fun to play it with like-minded .  Same can be said for Vanilla.

Economy is the second major reason.

There are plenty of other positive reasons, but those are the main ones.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2