Follow Square Enix on Banning Content Clears for Gold, Please ANET

Charall.4710

7 minutes ago, Dravvi.3146 said:

If you don't see a issue with people approaching the game how they want, whats your take on gold selling? Cause frankly while that effects the economy, selling runs for gold effects content runs for everyone as well.

Gold selling is a different problem altogether, that's called RMT, and that involves real money. This is literally nowhere near the same ballpark, these people are sticking within in-game currency, don't mix two things that aren't even involved with one another. 

Guild Wars as a series has always been openly accepting of people helping people for in-game currency, this has been tradition since the days of running people from Ascalon to Droknar's Forge, then to Lion's Arch, then to Sanctum Cay. 

I genuinely see no issue with this. If it was an issue with FFXIV, then obviously something went wrong in that game, but GW as a series has a good record of players supporting players, including players paying gold and it has never been an issue... well it hasn't been until this post at least. 

Edited by ChronoPinoyX.7923
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Dravvi.3146 said:

Raid training groups are vastly overshadowed by raid selling groups, selling content clears for gold is a major issue that spams the raid LFG. Perhaps you've not looked there recently, let me get a screenshot for you.

I'm on EU. At the moment, there are 12-15 LFGs up for raids. Only one of them is selling.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

Gold selling is a different problem altogether, that's called RMT, and that involves real money. This is literally nowhere near the same ballpark, these people are sticking within in-game currency, don't mix two things that aren't even involved with one another. 

Guild Wars as a series has always been openly accepting of people helping people for in-game currency, this has been tradition since the days of running people from Ascalon to Droknar's Forge, then to Lion's Arch, then to Sanctum Cay. 

I genuinely see no issue with this. If it was an issue with FFXIV, then obviously something went wrong in that game, but GW as a series has a good record of players supporting players, including players paying gold and it has never been an issue... well it hasn't been until this post at least. 

They are one in the same, RMT contributes to the selling raids for gold. Why do you think we still have a RMT issue? There has to be a profit in it, otherwise it would fade.

Maybe by a portion of the playerbase has trading runs for in game currency been accepted by Guild Wars 2's community but a good portion also opposes it. This does not speak for the ecto trading of Gw1

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Just now, Dravvi.3146 said:

They are one in the same, RMT contributes to the selling raids for gold. Why do you think we still have a RMT issue? There has to be a profit in it, otherwise it would fade.

Bruh, this isn't an RMT issue, bots in this game is the RMT issue. Honestly don't try to put legit players who honed their skills so they can earn gold through other means with illegal botters, that's an absolute low ball argument. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

Bruh, this isn't an RMT issue, bots in this game is the RMT issue. Honestly don't try to put legit players who honed their skills so they can earn gold through other means with illegal botters, that's an absolute low ball argument. 

Riiiiiiight mhmm, because on the daily gold sellers don't undercut the gem to gold conversion rate which can then be used to buy runs. mhmm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 10

Just now, Dravvi.3146 said:

Riiiiiiight mhmm, because on the daily gold sellers don't undercut the gem to gold conversion rate which can then be used to buy runs. mhmm.

Ah right, so you're gonna be one of those people. No actual evidence and just assuming things, meanwhile about 100 or so threads of people literally telling ANet to stop AFK farming/Bots litter the this forum alone, but only this thread has an issue with Raiders selling runs for gold. 

Got ya. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dravvi.3146 said:

The next assumption could be that the gold sellers are the same people who sell the raids, too.

This is getting convoluted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Just now, MikeG.6389 said:

The next assumption could be that the gold sellers are the same people who sell the raids, too.

This is getting convoluted.

7 minutes ago, Dravvi.3146 said:

Maybe by a portion of the playerbase has trading runs for in game currency been accepted by Guild Wars 2's community but a good portion also opposes it. This does not speak for the ecto trading of Gw1

A little late but already happened. 

1 hour ago, Dravvi.3146 said:

Because how others play the game effects everyone, it is a MMORPG not a Single Player Online RPG. When people pay for raid clears, it inspires others to do so and thus runs for the average individual getting into raids becomes lesser and lesser. Earning your way through the game should be encouraged while paying your way should be discouraged.

Earning your way has always been the core fundamental of any MMORPG, We should not forget that.

I guess only an arrogant individual that demands that Anet should make changes to  the game to suit a players personal wishes and, in this case, wrong wishes about how the game should be. I would suggest finding a game that is more in line with your personal beliefs about how a game should be played, moderated and designed would be more appropriate than jumping on a soap box about how 'honest' you are and others are not so. Entitlement comes to mind. Enjoy FFXIV.

Edited by Blude.6812
sp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

XIV and its producer are targeting a very specific type of crowd, they're basically out there bellydancing and creating rules to please the worst type of online players all the while pretending that they deeply care about their playerbase because that's all the "lovely" XIV dev team does. They did it not long ago by changing the icon of the sage job I think, because some players complained that the old icon gave them trypophobia.

Funny they don't apply these rules at all on FFXI by the way as content selling has been a thing there since forever. That is because it's not in the spotlight and it doesn't have that fake saintly aura that XIV has and relies on to bring new flesh (that rarely lasts long in the game anyway).

I sincerely hope other companies do not take ideas from XIV's team because it creates even worse online communities than we already have in MMORPGs. All shiny and nice on the surface and completely rotten and disgusting underneath.

And don't even get me started on what an oversexualized game XIV is and all the sexual things going on in the game, they know about it but yet won't add any rules regarding these issues. Their cash shop even adds things like very specific emotes that are clearly meant to be used in cybersex. But the community loves this and it brings in the cash, so no need for rules on this matter, the producer only asked his sweet little fanboys to please don't do these type of things ingame knowing all too well they won't stop and he doesn't want them to stop.

Edited by vanfrano.1325
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, Dravvi.3146 said:

Recently on FFXIV there was a update to their prohibited activities policy where part of their policy showed an example of what is a bannable offense, something I personally agree with 100%. 

I am of the very strong and clear opinion that you should be earning your achievements and clears in guild wars 2 naturally, making it something you strive for not pay for with gold. I get that you can change gems into gold but that should not mean you buy a couple of gem cards or whatever and transfer them into gold to buy a raid clear for your legendary armor or achievements, this makes those who actually honestly earn their armor and stuff of that nature feel like their attempts were trivial.

To date I've earned every bit of everything I ever got and this is why I even struggle with things such as certain bits of content, since I refuse to pay anyone to help me with it or to get a clear for something. The idea of honestly progressing your character should be what all players strive for, heres the prohibited activities update that really.. Anet needs to update to get rid of those selling runs for gold.

Examples of violations:
- Selling [duty] clear for 1 million gil.
- Selling [duty] clear and/or offering the associated rewards from [content]. Join for more info/details.

PS. If you wonder what I am talking about, check the LFG Raids Section and you will see the problem at hand.

You either have no idea what is the reason behind those FF XIV policy changes, or you know, but silently omit it because it doesn't fit your narrative.

FF XIV devs do not actually have any problems with so called "mercenary activities" (helping others to clear the content in exchange for some ingame rewards).The problem they are trying to combat is that RMT activities in that game often were disguised as those, and they were unable to verify which was which for each specific case fast enough. In short, most of the "content selling" ads were in actuality RMT ads in disguise. Those were overwhelming their GMs, so theu decided to simplify things in order to cut themselves some slack.

Notice, btw, that helping out others to do content in exchange for gil is still 100% legit in FF XIV. In fact, you can put up party finder ads asking for others to help you in exchange for gil (because there's next to no change those will be ads put by RMT sellers). Basically, they want to clear their LFGs of RMT adds, and content selling was hit as a colateral damage.

Notice, how the GW2 ads do not suffer from the same problem. The LFG raid selling ads come from well-known groups, and, so far, there is not even a slightest hint that those ads are in any way associated with RMT. This does not, of course, mean, that raid selling for real money does not extist - it does, but (unlike with FF XIV) it generally gets advertised outside of the game.

So, basically, if you indeed agree with what FF XIV devs are doing with it (and why), you should be perfectly okay with what is happening in GW2 and see no reason to change anything here.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

It is illegal to buy gold with real life money , unless you buy it in a format  called gems from the "oficial store" then it magically becomes legal with a single click of your mouse.

It is legal to buy raid clears /runs /services with gold that was gems a minute ago and real life money 5 minutes ago. But its not legal to buy a raid clear with real life  money.

Its basically the loop of every MMO game  "how do I avoid the bullet and get everything?".

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

23 minutes ago, keykey.9182 said:

It is legal to buy raid clears /runs /services with gold that was gems a minute ago and real life money 5 minutes ago. But its not legal to buy a raid clear with real life  money.

Yes, because when you buy gems with real life money, the money goes to ArenaNet. When you use real life money to pay someone directly for an in-game service, the money does not go to ArenaNet - that's the difference. There's theft/fraud/economic heckery to consider when gauging why RMT is bad, but the primary reason it's not allowed is because it cuts into company profits.

..but I don't think people willfully breaking the TOS or feeling like you're superior if you do an achievement without help are valid reasons to remove selling runs (or other services) for gold (provided there is no RMT involved). People tip Mesmers. Raiders sell clears to people who can't raid. Artists take gold commissions and guilds run massive gold and item giveaways. Why blitz all of that just because you don't like how someone else got their character title or mini pet?

Wanna ban all the people breaking rules? No opposition. But buying clears with gold accrued by rule-abiding players is not against the TOS, and for good reason.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1