The Friendslist, Why I think it needs to be changed [Merged]

Charall.4710

I'm going to have to agree that we should have a need to get consent to add players to our friend's list.

I'm also going to have to agree that the issues listed in the OP can be dealt with by blocking the player.  Harassment can be reported.  Stalking can also be reported.  At some point we are, at least partially, responsible for our security online, and that would include taking any steps that are provided by the service.  In this case, blocking and reporting.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

The friends list needs a complete overhaul, and has needed it for a long time. I remember in beta and around release that these concerns were brought up only to be ignored. It's not a big ask to have a confirmation when someone tries to add you to their friends list, or at least the option for it, so that random people can't friend you without you knowing.

It's also not a big ask for non-mutual friends to not get your in-game location and online status. There's zero reason for a complete stranger to get notifications in their chat box when you come online.

And yes one can play offline but that means you can't participate in guild chat or whisper friends and it can cause problems when trying to form parties or raids. It also doesn't stop people from knowing you're online and your location if you're repping a guild as even if you're offline, if you forget to do that you still get a bright yellow dot on everyone's map as a guildmate. Only since you're offline, no one can let you know you're obviously online unless they know to send you a mail.

At the very least people should have the option to easily remove followers in the form of right-click > remove follower. And also not give non-mutuals your location and online status. If someone wants to add me to a list because I ran a meta or to easily message me later, fine, but that doesn't mean they need to know my online status, location, and what character I'm on, complete with a handy notification when I log into the game.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

6 minutes ago, Zephire.8049 said:

The friends list needs a complete overhaul, and has needed it for a long time. I remember in beta and around release that these concerns were brought up only to be ignored. It's not a big ask to have a confirmation when someone tries to add you to their friends list, or at least the option for it, so that random people can't friend you without you knowing.

It's also not a big ask for non-mutual friends to not get your in-game location and online status. There's zero reason for a complete stranger to get notifications in their chat box when you come online.

And yes one can play offline but that means you can't participate in guild chat or whisper friends and it can cause problems when trying to form parties or raids. It also doesn't stop people from knowing you're online and your location if you're repping a guild as even if you're offline, if you forget to do that you still get a bright yellow dot on everyone's map as a guildmate. Only since you're offline, no one can let you know you're obviously online unless they know to send you a mail.

At the very least people should have the option to easily remove followers in the form of right-click > remove follower. And also not give non-mutuals your location and online status. If someone wants to add me to a list because I ran a meta or to easily message me later, fine, but that doesn't mean they need to know my online status, location, and what character I'm on, complete with a handy notification when I log into the game.

And you can remove a follower just block them and your removed from their friendlist.

You can the unblock them and you dont get readded to their friend list either.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

And you can remove a follower just block them and your removed from their friendlist.

You can the unblock them and you dont get readded to their friend list either.

Never said there wasn't a way to remove followers, just that it's easier if it was a two-button option instead of multiple clicks, different tabs, and scrolling.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

I've not had problems with how the friends list works in 5.5k hours played time. I'd prefer the devs working on other things. If its about UIs, the LFG can use a rework. Or arcdps can get integrated into the game, since reasonable dps became a requirement on EoD drop.

If someone is harassing you, collect evidence and report. The game will be in a better place without such players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

You can already fix 100% of this by blocking and playing offline.

So playing offline, so you can't talk to any of your other friends, when they're online is a solution?  That absolutely wouldn't work for me. Blocking I have no problem with. Being offline is an issue because people whisper me all the time.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Is it that hard to implement a confirmation for a friendlist request, the same as when someone request a party?

There are certainly ways to block/avoid but you shouldn't have to do so. Having to go offline just to avoid one person is never a good solution for obvious reasons. Blocking is also never a good solution. I have tons in my friendlist from those adding me because I tag up a lot. Do I have to go through the list every single time if I just want friends to be able to see my status?

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

A button to accept a friend request would take care of most of the issues.  Blocking should only be for toxic players, trolls, harassers, etc., not just people who I don't want as a friend because I only played with them one time in open world.  Still drives me nuts that they just sit there perpetually in pending instead of just decline.  

I'd also like to see a color distinction for character names of those on my friend list, so I might actually see them if I'm running by in the world or at an event.  And the ability to add a personal note to the friend lists, i.e. under the character name "beetle racer" or "mesmer for jp ports" so it would be easier to remember who the heck some of them are.

I haven't personally had issues with anyone in GW2, have a few people blocked because they were unpleasant in map chat.  But then again I try not to get involved in drama, enjoy a quiet guild life, that kind of thing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

I support this request.  I know of no other social platforms that don't require consent to "friend" someone.  I'd like it if ANet removed their heads from whatever "golly gee, everything is wonderful" neverland they're in and get with the rest of the social platforms out there.

Uh....twitter

• Confused 3

As OP has noted, they have made improvements to the friends list recently, but it can still be improved further to put it more in line with the industry standard of other games/social media. I hope they do so as time presents itself. Wouldn't mind if they reverted the off-line change while they're in there either. 👀

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

But is it really? Never really had problems with this in game or heard of anyone having this problem. 

I haven't either, and I can probably guess why based on numerous victim stories shared on the forums and reddit.  They invariably follow the same format:  Player X says something Player Y doesn't like.  Instead of blocking them and moving on as they should, Player Y's sense of righteous indignation compels them to escalate by responding in kind.  And thus begins a cycle of escalation that results in stalking and harassment behavior.

While something in me balks at the idea of protecting such players from their own poor decisions, the request is reasonable.  There is no benefit to a loophole in the friends list that facilitates stalking and harassment and mutual consent would close that loophole without impacting proper use of the system.  The only drawback here is the resources required to make a change that has no meaningful impact for most players, but I leave those decisions up to ANet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, Dravvi.3146 said:

This. Is. A. Wide. Spread. Problem.

is it?

based on what data?

your own experience?

the experience of a handful of individuals? (fewer than 10)

I get it, it's important to you so you think it's a big deal/issue. In reality there is very little in terms of stats/evidence which you can provide to suggest it affects even 1% of the actual playerbase.

the friend list probably needs an overhaul but to suggest that you know it's a "wide-spread problem" is just false information. 

I wonder if posters who make up such extreme statements to try to benefit their argument even understand that it detracts from it?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to The Friendslist, Why I think it needs to be changed [Merged]
29 minutes ago, disco.9302 said:

is it?

based on what data?

your own experience?

the experience of a handful of individuals? (fewer than 10)

I get it, it's important to you so you think it's a big deal/issue. In reality there is very little in terms of stats/evidence which you can provide to suggest it affects even 1% of the actual playerbase.

the friend list probably needs an overhaul but to suggest that you know it's a "wide-spread problem" is just false information. 

I wonder if posters who make up such extreme statements to try to benefit their argument even understand that it detracts from it?

Nope not at all, brushing it under the rug is not gonna help the situation so please move along and stop trying to derail it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9