Could Virtuoso get the ability to hide their blades outside of combat?

Chaz.1857

Hi there! I'm loving the new change that lets Virtuosos stock blades out of combat, though I did have a small concern - As an RPer who plays Mesmer and is planning to spec into Virtuoso when EoD launches proper, I don't wanna have knives hovering over my head all the time, especially not in a tavern!

Since this update makes the Untamed's "Unleashed" effect fade out after a few seconds, could there be a similar option to disable the visual of Virtuoso's blades when you're out of combat?

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

I feel the same the class feels much better though shatters still seem a bit unresponsive. Hiding blades ooc deffinetly agree here i'm so used to looking at my clone count bar the blades over the head for me are unecessary in combat you will ignore them and they do look cool but ooc their anoying 

• Like 2

I think with virtuoso they were mostly concerned about the blade regen for this beta, that they didn't think about the "constantly having 5 blades above your head" part of it all

I think the blades disappearing out of combat, similar to legendary effects, would be the easiest solution and makes the most sense. its not like you need to see them to be able to know you're starting combat with 5 blades, you know theyre getting regenerated passively and you still always still have the clone counter above your skill bar.

• Thanks 1

They definitely ought to let us hide those five Blade out of combat, or at least when we have our weapons sheathed.

The code to hide particle effects when the weapons are sheathed already exists since launch, Arenanet simply needs to apply it here.

But I've been waiting for a similar option for Soldier's Focus since Arenanet reworked Tactics, so I have no hope that Arenanet will touch the Blades effect.

Edited by Fueki.4753

On 11/30/2021 at 12:24 PM, Chaz.1857 said:

Hi there! I'm loving the new change that lets Virtuosos stock blades out of combat, though I did have a small concern - As an RPer who plays Mesmer and is planning to spec into Virtuoso when EoD launches proper, I don't wanna have knives hovering over my head all the time, especially not in a tavern!

Since this update makes the Untamed's "Unleashed" effect fade out after a few seconds, could there be a similar option to disable the visual of Virtuoso's blades when you're out of combat?

This wouldn't personally annoy me, but I understand that some RPers or players into the fashion elements may not want to see their heads haloed by 5 pink/purple blades all the time... It would also open up an interesting sniping style in WvW & PvP (you'd have to always assume that a virtuoso out of combat had a fresh max stack of blades to throw at you, instead of visually confirming).

• 3 months later...

Making it a separate thread so it's seen.

Quick fix would be to hide the floating daggers when mainhand weapon is not displayed (in hero panel). Also make them inherit colors from headpiece or something. They don't match my character's appearance and they clip with legendary ball above my character's head.

Edited by rune.9572
typo, title change
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• rune.9572 changed the title to Let us hide and/or dye floating daggers

Arenanet really needs to do something about the permanent floaties. Those are the one issue that ruined Virtuoso after the first beta.

Arenanet needs to do one of three things:

1) Hide them out of combat.

2) Hide them when weapons are sheathed.

3) Give us a client side option to hide the ugly floaties.

But given that it's Arenanet, I doubt anything will happen. They still haven't done anything about the particle effect on Soldier's Focus either.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would like to see them hidden when our weapons are stowed outside of combat.

Like keep the spawning animation for the passive blade generation but have them fade out after a few seconds.

(Also would like to have a character chatter or sound effect cue for when we have our 5th blade as I find myself looking at my bars too much.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't mind it tbh. Treat them like signets that appear under nameplates, like when they disappear when activated, but for us it shoots and is no longer above you until recharge. I might read this as a worry it gives more counter-play, allowing the opponent to read your build up before sending the shatter.

I suggest to fix it is to have the daggers above the head to have the same ghostly look as phantasms. You kind of see them, but also kind of see through them. 

Edited by Avion Blade.4869

Only show them when your weapons are drawn.

They're a great visual flourish in combat, but I don't need them there all the time.

When I'm on a skiff, fishing, riding a mount, talking to an NPC - most non-combat actions I guess - they're kind of unnecessary. 

• Like 3

On 11/30/2021 at 5:24 PM, Chaz.1857 said:

I agree, as cool as the Virutoso Spec is...having daggers floating above your head, specially within RP is...annoying...IC you can easily ignore, but yeah OOC its still a visual annoyance, i think the idea of sheathed weapons to keep them hidden its brilliant, because they'd only show if unsheathed...however i just change builds when in RP to keep them hidden, its annoying but eh it works.