Disappointing that EoD Legendary Weapons can be bought and sold on the TP

11 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Do the math right.

The second person actually has two choices:

they can play 20 hours of gameplay they do not enjoy and spend no extra money, or

They can alternatively play 19 hours of gameplay they enjoy, and work one hour for money to buy stuff they like from the content they would not have enjoyed had they played it.

The fact that the first person actually enjoys 20 hours of grind does in no way factor in the choices of the second person, because they happen to like different things.

19 hours of gameplay in a different game?

• Confused 4

6 hours ago, Bingus.4236 said:

19 hours of gameplay in a different game?

Nah. If they could not find any content in this game they like, they would not buy stuff in here at all. Problem is, th content someone may like to play and the content that offers a specific reward they might like do not have to be the same. Case in point: Envoy armor - quite a lot of people want and like it, but only a very limited few seem to like raiding.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

Everything in the game should be tradable, no exceptions. Account bound was a mistake and over the years we've had more and more untradable items and it has turned most collections into extreme grinds.

Besides, when many BLC skins look better than Legendaries, whats the point?

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Nah. If they could not find any content in this game they like, they would not buy stuff in here at all. Problem is, th content someone may like to play and the content that offers a specific reward they might like do not have to be the same. Case in point: Envoy armor - quite a lot of people want and like it, but only a very limited few seem to like raiding.

People can only buy gems and convert them to gold. Gold is earned in every part of the game, if you can't find a way to enjoy earning it in game then you don't enjoy any part of the game.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Bingus.4236 said:

People can only buy gems and convert them to gold. Gold is earned in every part of the game, if you can't find a way to enjoy earning it in game then you don't enjoy any part of the game.

23 hours ago, Bingus.4236 said:

There are 2 people

Person1: They play 20 hours of gameplay they enjoy and spend no extra money

Person2: They play 1 hour of gameplay they enjoy, pay extra money that they have to spend an hour extra in work.

There's nothing efficient about what you do, you are paying more and getting less. If you want to get imaginary weapons in games for no "effort", it's more "efficient" to buy unity assets,

Sure, you can earn it in-game, but how long will it take you?

I like playing WvW the most and to earn enough gold to buy a legendary would take a very very long time.  I mean, if someone just likes doing world bosses and wanted to buy a legendary off the TP, it would take them 1 hour a day for 8 months, at least.

Or, you could go and grind SW RIBA for I dunno, like 120 hours or something similar. I don't want to invest that sort of time. 

I would prefer to just play what I want and then buy it with cash because my time out of the game is worth a lot more than my time in the game. Instead of 100 hours of grind or 1 hour a day for 8 months, I can just dedicate a few hours of my wage, or I can choose to pick up a couple extra hours of OT and get what I want, supporting the game at the same time.

Why the issue?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

Sure, you can earn it in-game, but how long will it take you?

I like playing WvW the most and to earn enough gold to buy a legendary would take a very very long time.  I mean, if someone just likes doing world bosses and wanted to buy a legendary off the TP, it would take them 1 hour a day for 8 months, at least.

Or, you could go and grind SW RIBA for I dunno, like 120 hours or something similar. I don't want to invest that sort of time. 

I would prefer to just play what I want and then buy it with cash because my time out of the game is worth a lot more than my time in the game. Instead of 100 hours of grind or 1 hour a day for 8 months, I can just dedicate a few hours of my wage, or I can choose to pick up a couple extra hours of OT and get what I want, supporting the game at the same time.

Why the issue?

You don't monetarily invest time in a leisure activity, that's what my issue is. This false narrative of economic sense. Also, It is highly unlikely you are earning enough money at your job to pay for a legendary weapon in a few hours. A day's pay at least is more realistic.

At the end of the day buying in game gold is just paying the devs to let you cheat past the game and it's hilarious seeing people trying to explain it away with tropes like it's some common sense.

• Like 4
  • Confused 6

On 12/7/2021 at 4:57 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

I love raiding and fractal.
but in between, i do love some metas.

And I already have Envoy armor for my guardian, IM now on the process to make one 
for my druid ;D

And that is all I need ;D

• Confused 1

I love that they will be tradeable. It's clear statement that trading is one of the most important aspect of that game. That allows people playing game mode that they like, not being forced to do something like mindless farming for legendary accessories. Besides gen3 legendary weapons are only cosmetics, and like any other fashion items can be bought by real cash.

There are two generations of legendary weapons

One is tradable ,  the other is not

New legendaries do not seem that awesome anyway ,assuming they stick with the same aestethics (Greatswords all look like weird swordfish heads  in   different colours), so let them all spend their money if they want

Edited by Sarte.7158

I'm glad about it.

If people want to make one because they enjoy that content, then make it. If i want to spend some money on it without grinding, then let me. The most grind i've ever done in this game is skyscale and ascended for t4's..

At the end of the day it's your character and your account. 

Edited by vicky.9751
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

When you see a character with a Gen 1 Legendary, what's the first thing you think: "That person BOUGHT their Legendary! They're a cheater!" Or, "Oh, there's another Legendary."?

There's no way of knowing how a person came across that skin. With the Gen 2 Legendary series you KNOW that person crafted the whole thing. But you don't know if they gathered all the mats themselves or whipped out a Credit Card and BOUGHT (gasp) a majority of the grinding or high-gold gated items.

I've done both; crafted and bought (thank you for your time, I hope you had fun crafting, and enjoyed my gold for the transaction) GEN 1 Legendary weapons.

Don't worry about what others do in getting what they want. It really doesn't cheapen the time and effort (someone still had to craft the whole thing so the work was still put in, just not by you).

(As a side note: Do you think those who use Mesmers' Portals to bypass JPs cheating? It doesn't cost anything but the bypass is still available and a simple patch could put a stop to it, but the Devs don't want to.) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Game of Bones.8975 said:

Don't worry about what others do in getting what they want. It really doesn't cheapen the time and effort (someone still had to craft the whole thing so the work was still put in, just not by you).

What the culture of this does is give developers are financial incentive to make their gameplay worse so that people will pay money to bypass it and that makes it worse for everyone.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

13 hours ago, Bingus.4236 said:

What the culture of this does is give developers are financial incentive to make their gameplay worse so that people will pay money to bypass it and that makes it worse for everyone.

Someone is still crafting the item. It is not merely a weapon available by ANET on the TP or BLTC page for Gems.

The gameplay won't change given the stats are the same as Ascended items (which hardly anyone complains about right now). Build mechanics won't change and there are no new attribute combinations. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Dont really care about this. If some people want to feel like they achieved something by making their own legendary from 0 then please feel free to do so. If some people would rather buy it from the TP then why not ? 

We've come to a point in this game where almost everyone has a legendary anyway. Owning a legendary now is like owning a fancier version of an ascended item, they are more common than people think. It is not like there is a major difference between a legendary you bought and a legendary you grinded for outside the feeling of having achieved something. And then again maybe the buyer feel like he achieved something by gathering enough gold to purchase the item. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

I liked the GW1 system in terms of how things get bound to you character.

Everything was tradable, but you could give your weapon a damage buff and it locked it to your character.

So its like you could test out a weapon and its skin, see if you liked it.  If you did you bound it.  If not, you traded it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 12/7/2021 at 12:47 PM, Bingus.4236 said:

You don't monetarily invest time in a leisure activity, that's what my issue is. 

Agreed. This tendency to weigh every hour of our lives by its opportunity cost is a sickness of our contemporary world. It should horrify us.

On 12/7/2021 at 12:47 PM, Bingus.4236 said:

Also, It is highly unlikely you are earning enough money at your job to pay for a legendary weapon in a few hours. A day's pay at least is more realistic.

GW2Efficiency tells me that it takes about 2.2k gold to craft Astralaria from scratch. At current prices, that's about $140 in gems. A day's pay at $17.50/hour. I thought I'd put your statement in hard numbers, and it checks out.

This old refrain of "just work an extra hour" always makes me wonder how many people have work they can turn on and off like a spigot. That's not the reality I live in, nor anyone I know.

I'm aware there are self-employed people who can do it to an extent, and people can also go find a second job if they want, but even in these situations you're typically talking significant planning over time. The self-employed can take on additional contracts/commissions/whatever, but you add to a revolving workload, you don't just "stay in the office" for an extra hour to grab a few more gems.

And no matter if you can choose to randomly bring in $140 extra, there's got to be a certain level of wealth in your life if you are ready to blow that on one glowy digital weapon in an online game.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 12/10/2021 at 5:47 PM, Bingus.4236 said:

I don't see how that makes it worse to anyone, except for those who spend a lot of time talking about what other people choose to do with their time and money.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I do not mind if it’s buyable, a casual player like me who gets 130 gold a year cause I pvp, do not get much gold. I was struggling to get gold to buy the griffin mount- why I made a post about it-  a legendary that cost 4500 gold….. never gonna happen.

therefore it matters not that it’s sell able. As people who would buy the legendary because they can’t craft it, won’t have the gold anyway to buy it.

and people who can craft it, likely already have legendaries so would not buy one anyway  the result is only whales who are new to game, which from my knowledge do not exist.  

tldr: if does not matter one bit. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I was rethinking this issue and came up with another reason to allow purchasing Legendary weapons:

I think we have all been assuming each and every player has both expansions and at least 9 character slots (1 per profession). That's not always the case.

A player with the minimum number of characters (and doesn't want any more slots) is limited in the number of Legendary weapons they are capable of crafting due to the need to craft either Gift of Maguuma Mastery/Gift of Desert Mastery. Once a character has completed the "Gift" cycle they can't go back and do it again on the same character; the Hearts, Waypoints, and POIs don't reset. 

If a person DOESN'T have one or the other of the expansions they can't craft half the Legendaries currently listed. 

There's enough content with the core game for casual players to go through without the expansions, if they don't want them, but should they be penalized for not buying the expansions? Or is that just an "incentive" to buy the expansions?

• Confused 2

On 12/3/2021 at 6:58 PM, EnemyCrusher.7324 said:

According to today's legendary weapons announcement (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-closer-look-at-the-guild-wars-2-end-of-dragons-legendary-weapons/)

This is sorely disappointing. Putting in significant time and resources toward a long term goal while other players whip out a credit card and get it instantly just feels bad.

I am glad. I liked being able to buy them. I want BoE Legendary armor as well.  BoE Legendary back armor would be nice

• Confused 3