Story mode is hardly enjoyable

daimon.1459

I think its already mention in the past by other players too, and i just want to express that i feel exhausted, annoyed and angry everytime i play story mode. Specially when its time to kill the boss.

The boss skill is stupidly overpowered + unlimited minion + sometimes imposible to dodge + stupid NPC looking through the wall.

Its been years since the first time gw2 released, been 2 years off from this game, and the story mode still stupidly hard, no other game has the boss difficulty like this, i need to die hundreds times to kill the boss, and i dont care if my characters die.

If you see another game, when its time to kill the boss its just 1 chance, when your character die, its start from the beginning. The boss its hard but its doable , dodgeable to kill.

Thats the only think i hate about this game, i just want to enjoy the story, but i cant, its just too stupidly hard.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, daimon.1459 said:

The boss skill is stupidly overpowered + unlimited minion + sometimes imposible to dodge + stupid NPC looking through the wall.

Its been years since the first time gw2 released, been 2 years off from this game, and the story mode still stupidly hard, no other game has the boss difficulty like this, i need to die hundreds times to kill the boss, and i dont care if my characters die.

Get a proper build. Watch some guide video on the boss. Become a more skilled player.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

I'm sorry you feel this way.

However, on the topic of you dying to the bosses in story modes, would you be kind enough to let us know what profession and build you're using?

I had similar problems way back when I mained elementalist (vanilla), but after switching to Weaver, I could solo everything pretty comfortably. And after switching to necro (GS reaper at that time), all the story bosses were a breeze.

• Like 8

About the bosses being hard.. they're not that hard. You need to switch to a sustain build. Easy, go to your build tab and make a sustain build. That easy. If they're too hard for you, learn the pattern and you'll be fine on the 2nd or 3rd try.

I finished the original storyline, then the HOT story and POF. Then I finished caudecus and the crystal dragon from LS3 & 4.

I just hate the fact that you need to listen to taimi talk for 50% of the storylines. Seriously, you're trying to have dinner- taimi speaks up on your nextel. You're trying to have a date with your crush, and taimi again. Dude, you're trying to take a dump and.... nextel ringing. It's taimi again.

Haha, I think that they should cut the dialog a bit and pack more action/activity. And should I have to say is - the instance chase SUCKS. You get in and out of instances so often it just get tiring. Can't we follow an easier way other than waypoint teleporting and chasing the quest? Like, in videogames you just progress, in guild wars you just chase green stars around the map and hope the story is done anytime soon.

Edited by GrimDanny.7039
About boss difficulty
  • Confused 6

One of the downsides of the build system used in GW2 is you'll have people who struggle to complete story bosses that take others less than 10 seconds to kill. Other games (i.e. FFXIV, WoW) won't have this issue, as the range in possible builds is low and thus the difference in DPS in players isn't as large.

I recommend looking up some builds for your class - there are plenty of sites/guides out there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You'd get some better help if you noted which bosses you are having trouble with specifically. Are these core story, expansion, or LW bosses? Do you have access to expansion elite specs, or are you doing core only?  After having difficulty with the story mission, have you checked the wiki to make sure you understand the mechanics?

Also, if you can find just one person to do story with, it will totally change the difficulty in them. When the boss is focused on more than just you, it opens a much bigger margin for error.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, daimon.1459 said:

I think its already mention in the past by other players too, and i just want to express that i feel exhausted, annoyed and angry everytime i play story mode. Specially when its time to kill the boss.

If you see another game, when its time to kill the boss its just 1 chance, when your character die, its start from the beginning. The boss its hard but its doable , dodgeable to kill.

Thats the only think i hate about this game, i just want to enjoy the story, but i cant, its just too stupidly hard.

Share you build with us on this site http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ and which boss youre doing so we can tell you what you're doing wrong. Story mode is super easy mode in this game.

• Like 3

I disagree.  I love story mode and is what I spend a lot of my time doing.  Even when I first started playing the game when it launched I played a Thief which was very squishy, but I found a build that worked for me and soon I wasn't dying much.  

Just play around with your character builds, don't go all glass cannon Berserker until you get more experienced with the game.  Nothing wrong with building for sustain.  Condition builds are also a very good option and are generally tankier.

• Like 2

What boss is giving you trouble? As a few people have said, sharing your build will help us ascertain if it's the build or the mechanics tripping you up. Let us know what boss and I'm sure someone will help you, myself included. Your very vague post isn't very helpful as is.

• Like 1

Maybe the story its not for me then, mostly i get very angry in every story boss fight, i didnt have any problem during map explorations.

Im thief D/D P/P, sorry cant share my build, i cant create metabattle account, for some reason my ip got blocked to create an account there.

I've been trying to change and adjust the build, currently i feel comfortable with this :

Critical Strikes - Twinfangs, Practice Tolerance, Invi Precision

Acrobatic - Pain Response, Guarded Initiation, Assassins Reward

Daredevil - Escapist Fort, Pulmo Impact, Impaling Lotus

Armor - 4 set Assasin, 2 Berserker : 6 rune of scholar

Dagger - 2 Berserker : sigil air + Accuracy

Pistol - 2 Rampager : sigil air + force

for the skill i use mostly signet and dagger storm.

Lets see if you can give me some input to improve my build. Currently i only do PVE and map completion.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, daimon.1459 said:

Maybe the story its not for me then, mostly i get very angry in every story boss fight, i didnt have any problem during map explorations.

Im thief D/D P/P, sorry cant share my build, i cant create metabattle account, for some reason my ip got blocked to create an account there.

I've been trying to change and adjust the build, currently i feel comfortable with this :

Lets see if you can give me some input to improve my build. Currently i only do PVE and map completion.

Maybe watch this and get some pointers?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, daimon.1459 said:

Heads up, you can right click your build at the top and select "copy build template" and it will give a shareable code that can be pasted into chat and people can see the traits.

As for Thief, I can't speak much to it. Not a class I'm very good at / find that interesting. That said, from my understanding D/D is really more of a condi set (may be misremembering though?). You may do better if you swap that out for staff and spam #2.

Have you tried something like: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Daredevil_-_Power_Daredevil ?

Edited by Jemmi.6058
  • Like 3

Seconding advice to try that power daredevil build. It was my first main through all non-core content from LW2 to IBS. You get a bunch of dodge, and the dodges actually do decent damage. 

The guide suggests spamming skill two for weakness, but you have an area blind on 4 that gives a ton of survivability with anything that doesn’t haves breakbar, so I’d often alternate that with auto attack chains and dodging.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2

I read what you're comfortable with and I would like to suggest the short-bow. It has area poison, stuns, and great mobility. The problem I have with daggers, personally, is that it's an up and in your face choice; you have your IF (invulnerability frames) and stealth (provided you manage your initiative well), but you lose mobility. Although short-bow is more initiative heavy, it pays off with stuns and area poison as well as putting some distance between you and a boss that likes to stun-lock/cheese conditions and DPS.  Please note that thief is not my first choice, but I have two: one with both Dare Devil and Dead Eye and the other just good old vanilla flavor. (now i want to eat my thief. look don't judge me, i want the sweets, kitten it!) So I'd definitely suggest the awesome folks suggestions and advice before mine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, daimon.1459 said:

dagger/dagger shines best with condition builds.  You're building super heavy on the glass cannon side.  This means that you cannot afford to spam dodges at all, not even a little bit.  With you're build, you are forcing yourself to perfectly evade every major attack.

I'm comfortable doing this on my condi thief.  It's extremely glassy and I can time every evade in the kit, which is why it's my go-to build for difficult content.  If you're not able to time dodges, then it isn't the right thief build for you.  While you do take invigorating precision, the healing is not enough to outsustain major attacks (as you've figured out).  It's merely good for face-tanking trash mobs in the open world.

On paper, it would seem like invigorating precision fits well with guarded initiation and twin fangs, but it does not.  The problem is the tiny thief health pool.  Without any vitality, any single hit will now render those traits inactive, as you are below the health threshold.  Invigorating precision is now being used to play catch up to the minimum functionality of your build, meaning that you end up desperately trying to regain health to get the effects of those health threshold traits (and rune).  

What you have build is good for PvP and WvW.  In those arenas, you can burst down other players extremely quickly.  This is what you build, raw burst damage.  However, in PvE, burst is not viable.  Mob health, especially boss health, supidly far exceeds any burst damage you can bring.  As a thief, you can burst a boss's health down about half way before you are now in a battle of attrition.  Your build actually does not excel at attrition, unless you can perfectly time every evade every time.

Essentially, what you build want's shadow arts rather than acrobatics.  With shadow arts, you deal major up-front burst damage, then retreat and go defensive until you can burst again.  Stealth and Shadow Arts allows you to do this.  Acrobatics is for players that get in the fight and stay there.  This means that it is better suited for players you can effectively fight a battle of attrition where burst damage is ineffective.

As for Daredevil, it is good for sustain in attrition-style combat.  Escapist's fortitude is one of my favorite traits in the line.  However, that trait is useless if you cannot perfectly time your evades.  If you cannot do this, you need to use one of thief's other defensive tools for your build rather than evasion.  

Impacting disruption is only useful for your pistol set.  Your dagger/dagger has absolutely nothing that can trigger pulmonary impacts.  What can trigger regularly is sword'pistol or sword/dagger.  Sword stealth attacks stun when hitting from behind.  Sword/pistol has stun on stealth skill, and dazes on skill 3 and skill 4 for triggering pulmonary impacts.

I think by impaling lotus you mean lotus training.  That's the condition damage dodge.  This thing does almost nothing for your build.  It may provide a tiny bit of cripple, but not enough to be useful.  the poison and torment does nothing.  You're better off with one of the other two grand master traits here.

Back to acrobatics, I see how assassin's reward looks good on paper.  But in practice, you are getting burst down to death far faster than your build can sustain.  That is due to the thief's tiny health pool and mid-range armor.    Again, this trait setup is best against players, not PvE.  In PvE, the health pool of bosses is far too high and the damage they do far outscales your sustain through self-healing.  One hit knocks out your rune set and some of your traits.  Your defensive abilities and damage are now gone because of this.  This now sets up a cascade of failures in your build.  With lower damage and less ability to remove damaging conditions, your invigorating precision is now much weaker.  Because you built for burst, once you are out of inititave without a method of regaining it quickly, you get even less healing.  Essentially, you only self heal during your one and only burst of damage.  After that burst, you have an extremely diminished ability to sustain inside the fight.  Because your build relies on hitting your target quickly, you must stay in the fight.

This is where what looks good on paper is actually bad in practice.  You have to stay in the fight to sustain yourself, but your not able to sustain yourself while in the fight because you no longer have the tools you need.  Your build sets itself up for failure.  I'll admit, it does look super good on paper, but after well over 9 years of theifing, I can tell you, from experience, this does not pan out well at all in PvE.

This is why I suggest Shadow Arts and stealth over evasion.  It allows you to burst.  Once you used every burst tool you have, you can now rely on shadow arts and stealth to keep you alive without needing to stay in the thick of the fight.  You can stay mobile and just out of harm's way.  This keeps the NPC aggro'd and keeps you out of the damage.  This is why stealth and shadow arts works better with burst builds and evasion works better for attrition builds.

I know this is a lot to read but let me know if you need any clarifications.

Edit:

Posting the builds as well as I can remember them.  These are for PvE only.  My pvp and wvw builds are very different.

Condition Evasion  the equipment is mostly viper with some rampager for the critical chance.  I forgot what the mix was but this is close enough.  The thorn runes are there because, eh, I had airship parts and why not.  I had them before thief bleeding was buffed, so another rune choice may be best.  There is almost no good Master daredevil trait for this build..  This build requires near-perfect evasion at all times.  It is hybrid damage glass cannon which means you must be in the fight dealing damage 100%.  Perfect evasion is how you accomplish this and you have the tools to do this.  You have an elite, a heal, a utility, and both weapon sets that can evade (plus 3 dodges).

Precision Fires  This is my stealth burst build.  It excels at single target, with shadow flare and collateral damage for a bit of AoE.  The point is to identify priority targets.  Mark and get 7 stacks (super easy), and kill.  If you don't kill single targets quickly enough, this build begins to fail.  Unless it's a boss fight, in which case you have the stealth sustain to reset position and re-burst regularly.  You have permanent fury with this build.  It's impossible to not have fury.  Even if it's stripped you get it back nearly instantly.  The rune bonus will always be there and is reliably triggered.  You also build up might effectively with how much fury you get.  This is what I do when I solo play Drizzlewood Coast.  It is the build that most-closely resembles my job while I served as a marine (except the sword and shadow magic and stuff).  This build requires perfect positioning at all times which means you need almost perfect situational awareness.  Marauder stats allow for small windows of error.

Edited by Rogue.8235
  • Like 4

wow... this is really long, but i already read it all. Will try some of your build.

I though i already had good builds, but when i read about your explanation, maybe i need to rethink again, a lot mechanics i use only because it seems good.

Thank you for all reply guys.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I played the full story of GW2 (minus living world season 1 because i joined the community right after it ended so i never got to play it) ten times with nine different classes (twice as a ranger 'cause i have two of them), and i don't remember any story boss fight being too hard (plus there are some boss battles where you literally can't die)..... once i understood the mechanics of the fight, that is. So i wonder, are you sure that you are doing the things you are supposed to be doing? I'm asking because i remember that time i spent  many hours trapped in a never ending fight with the Shadow of the Dragon (final boss fight of living world season 2), unable to win, until i finally had to give up and leave the instance. It wasn't the fight itself that was too difficult, but me that failed to notice a particular mechanic where a little shadow creature was going around extinguishing the fires that i was trying to light, so the battle was stuck in an infinite loop because of that. When i understood that i had to kill the little kitten, i won without troubles. Sometimes your build is not really the problem, is what i'm trying to say. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1