End of Dragons hidden mount

It would be interesting if the various kirin from Guild Wars 1 were domesticated and became a mount - even if it was just a skin.  The real barrier to adding new mounts is that from what we've seen, each mount adds it's own movement mechanic. Raptor is speed and long jump forward, Springer is high jumps and stun, Jackal is teleportation and barrier, skimmer is gliding over dangerous surfaces and swimming + healing, gryphon added gliding and high speed gliding, Beetle added extreme speed , Skyscale added vertical take off and flight with fire aoe, warclaw is for wvw with gate breaking, sensing enemies and I think it has a finisher?, and the siege turtle has two person capabilities with weapons. 

So if there is a new mount, it must do something non of these do without overshadowing the utilities of the others. So what could it be?

• Like 1

I think it's a long shot, but a black widow mount maybe?  It's a rare pet in GW1, so has a degree of association.  Also a potentially missing movement style is climbing.  The ability to climb any surface, combined with a teleport similar to Oakheart's Essence or the Leap skill from the Spider Scurry Race, would work as a hybrid between land based mounts and the skyscale's verticality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I think it's a long shot, but a black widow mount maybe?  It's a rare pet in GW1, so has a degree of association.  Also a potentially missing movement style is climbing.  The ability to climb any surface, combined with a teleport similar to Oakheart's Essence or the Leap skill from the Spider Scurry Race, would work as a hybrid between land based mounts and the skyscale's verticality.

Spidermount has been shot down due to arachnophobia and technical restriction iirc. Weird reason as spiders can still be found in the game and there are other phobias that don't seem to count, but I doubt we heard anything since.
Has been brought up many times in the past.
"It was a thing in GW1" must be true for many animals.

Having thought about it a bit, the Jade-Bot will most likely replace mounts for the expansions big mastery. It connects to existing and new masteries(gliding, mounts, skiffs) and can be expanded on in possible upcoming living seasons, adding more slots, adding different cores or modules or adding new abilities via new masteries. I think the bot is the new hot thing with EoD. The mounts you get from owning only EOD will be gliding, raptor, springer, skiffs and turtle; and then the bot who will enhance their features. This sounds so much more likely than adding a hidden mount. If they hide anything, it won't be a mount.

• Like 3

A horse will be just a slower raptor so I don't see the point in it, and since the release of skyscale, what can you have more than that?

The only possible thing is an underwater beetle style mount, with difficult to manoeuvre movements, but super fast.

Other than that I see no necessity, and maybe there are already horses skins for some mounts I didn't see?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, grx.8714 said:

A horse will be just a slower raptor so I don't see the point in it, and since the release of skyscale, what can you have more than that?

The only possible thing is an underwater beetle style mount, with difficult to manoeuvre movements, but super fast.

Other than that I see no necessity, and maybe there are already horses skins for some mounts I didn't see?

I think that it would be far easier to add a mastery to the Skimmer for this rather than creating a new mount from scratch.

Theres a room for some "fast" underwater mount, but will be relevant only if we have larger undersea area.

Also Anet can surprise us when they want, before skycale/rollerbettle come out, i did imagine griphon was enough.

The real good reason to more mounts is skins, by the amount of ppl using skins for mount in open world, when can say that is a good cash cow.

But they should remember that griffon have a very good mini lore/quest to achiev it. Its a real prize for play the game. 

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 7:43 PM, XBlackCrow.6427 said:

What about a horse mount with new skills like make some attacks from the mount or make a charge agaisnt enemy, it would be interesting for WvW for example.

You mean a mount that is doing exactly the same as the Warclaw does? Sounds exciting. We need more different mounts that do exactly the same as existing once.

• Thanks 2

I do not think another mount is needed. I'd rather prefer some other side mechanic that is interesting. Fishing tbh ... does not seem too interesting. (I heard it would be related to the new legendary weapons. Might turn out just grindy and boring.)

Map related stuff and masteries might be better maybe. In future living world/story content. The paratrooper style movement (instead of waypoints) in Drizzlewood - was nice.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 1:32 PM, XBlackCrow.6427 said:

Do you think will we have a hidden mount in this expansion like it was in PoF?

Maybe, but while I don't think that it's beyond them to do something like a hidden after story single person combat mount (e.g. a pact golem or a juggernaut transformation) that, performance wise, would be on par with the allied factions combat transformations (i.e. the asuran Power Suit and the Enchanted Armor from the Exalted) I also wouldn't bet on it.

On 2/17/2022 at 1:37 PM, Slartibartfast.5416 said:

A hidden "fun" mount might be a possibility, but I consider it to be remote.  Now, what would you think if they were managing to keep tengu as a playable race under their hat?  Best kept secret of all Arenanet time.  Now that would be nuts.

I know you probably said it in jest, but just in case I will note that Rubi expressly said in a Guild Chat that there will not be playable Tengu in EoD.  She said it with honest conviction and a hint of apology, obviously understanding a lot of players were interested in it and trying to puncture the hype balloon before it turned into post-launch disappointment at the lack of something that was never promised.  ANet seldom comes out with such a clear, definitive statement about content.  They have no reason to flat out lie, when they could just remain silent and savor our surprise when the content arrives like they normally do.  So as far as I'm concerned, that's the truth, the Tengu are notable NPCs all over the Canthan maps but we won't be playing them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2