I was just trying to help.

4 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

Even a confused reaction is a valid reaction. 

The presumption is that the confusion stands for actually being confused. It doesnt really, people just use it for anything they dislike. I've seen people go on "valid reaction" sprees for posts made months/years ago just because they didnt like a recent post. But you're right its an open forum. I miss the old forums, sigh.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

The presumption is that the confusion stands for actually being confused. It doesnt really, people just use it for anything they dislike. I've seen people go on "valid reaction" sprees for posts made months/years ago just because they didnt like a recent post. But you're right its an open forum. I miss the old forums, sigh.

Ahhh! He talked about the confused emoji!  Pile those confused emojis on, boys!  We'll show him!

Nooo! Not me!  You're supposed to give the confused emojis to that other guy!  Man, you guys are brutal!

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

the worst offender is the Tome of Knowledge. i even let them stack at 250 before delete.

Yeah, I have a mule character that exists solely to hold extra stacks of Tomes of Knowledge. If ANet ever decides to release 300 new classes all at once I am set!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 2/19/2022 at 12:25 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

Ignore the reactions.

Ignore the people who will argue against every change.

Put your suggestion out there, and ANet can decide its worth.

And yes, there’s a lot of random bits and pieces that could be streamlined. The number of portal tomes is getting ridiculous, and needs a way to bundle them together. There are mats we get a lot of that don’t have mat storage spots. The random pieces to craft Mawdrey are annoying to have to go through and delete.

I'm fairly certain there are people that just "confused face" everything for no reason. This emoji system is pretty dumb. What is the purpose of the trophy if it just means thank you? Just go back to likes and dislikes.

Edited by Klowdy.3126
Punctuation.
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Well, thanks for informing me of why I use an emoji on a post.  All this time, I had thought it was because I didn't understand what they were trying to say, or found their framing of the post to be confusing.  I guess I know better now?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

On 2/21/2022 at 2:14 AM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Having a dislike was a lot more tolerable than this emoji system.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/19/2022 at 7:03 PM, Stx.4857 said:

It does seem like whenever you offer any sort of criticism, there is a brigade that shows up to say how everything is fine how it is.

Many don't even bother to speak their mind ever since the new forum software was installed - they just use "confused" emojis instead. Very productive. :classic_rolleyes:

20 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Yeah, I have a mule character that exists solely to hold extra stacks of Tomes of Knowledge. If ANet ever decides to release 300 new classes all at once I am set!

I have one as well for a variety of items (Dragonsblood weapons crafting tokens, tons of books, etc).

I'd also love to see a combined tome for all the teleportation tomes we have, and additional material storage and an expansion of the wallet.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 4

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

Many don't even bother to speak their mind ever since the new forum software was installed - they just use "confused" emojis instead. Very productive. :classic_rolleyes:

A dislike on a post is just as informative as a like, and that's the closest thing available.

One doesn't always need to comment either. Often I'll find what I wanted to say has already been said.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

A dislike on a post is just as informative as a like, and that's the closest thing available.

I don't agree with that sentiment.

When you agree with a post, you are not required to respond, because "I agree" is not very productive, either. If you agree, you usually have nothing to add.

However, when you disagree, you could at least bother to say which part of the post you disagree with and why (i.e., what your own opinion on the matter is).

• Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

However, when you disagree, you could at least bother to say which part of the post you disagree with and why (i.e., what your own opinion on the matter is).

I know personally I don't tend to comment on everything I disagree with, as I find it tiresome the way dogpiling happens. In which case a dislike (or confused) is enough to voice my opinion. Other times someone else - who also disagrees - has already said what I was thinking, in which case - again - I would have nothing to add.

It's funny, this is the single platform I've seen where people get upset over the use of something that conveys disagreement, often pushing that same sentiment (If you disagree then make a comment). Because of that it can feel that these forums are only for those who either are eager to agree on most topics, are those who staunchly defend anet, or have an over the top "positive" attitude, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Also to the people who write the full name of the item. Don't do this, just press shift and klick on the item. strg+a in chat, strg+c for copy, strg+v in the Delete-window, delte the things at beginning and end, and voilá :).

It's ctrl for international keyboards, not strg 😉 . But that's one neat trick I hadn't thought about, thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/19/2022 at 2:20 PM, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Yep, i hope when we nag enough, anet will have mercy. This is the dumbest way to prevent "wrong" deleting. Even more, while really important stuff like asc dont have this, but trash-items with stupidly long names of course need this ...

And what the others said, critism in this forum is like offering gold to a pig. Either you are told that there was already a thread and/or people down-vote everything.

What if people accidentally deleted their VERY precious snowman tonics? That would be terrible!

• Haha 5

On 2/20/2022 at 6:20 AM, costepj.5120 said:

I don't understand why you would expect any idea to be universally liked, or why you think that someone who doesn't agree with that idea must be a troll? A good idea has to survive people trying to pick holes in it, even if those people come across as overly critical. Saying "I don't like this suggestion" is not trolling.

In this case the issue is also a mix of things.

There are definitely problematic items. Worthless items that anyone can get piles of should not require any sort of confirmation.

There are maybe problematic depending on who you ask items. The Mawdrey stuff would be here. They are not a problem if you want to make Mawdrey but it is useless clutter and junk for everyone else. It can also become that on later play through.

There are collection items which have no value except as being part of the collection. Some people might ask why these exist at all. I am one of those people but I guess there are people who want them for sentimental reasons. The opposite of these would be all the items you get as part of your personal story. I bet many people don't even know those exist because in a way they don't actually exist.

There are also "you brought this upon yourself" items. Items which only drop if you start a collection and continue to drop until the collection is completed.

Then there is "balance is hard. :(". These would be things like ley line sparks. At the release of HoT the bad thing was trying to get these. Now the bad thing about them is having to get rid of them.

Reading this thread I would add another category, "player ignorance". There may be better ways to deal with the item but the player simply isn't aware.

I don't think it works well to treat all of them as equivalent.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:17 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

Possible, but there are definitely forumites who seem to love picking posts apart and trying to score points like some sophomore forensics competitor.

You can usually find them in every other post right before the mods lock a thread.

but a lot is also an issue of framing

There are too many that comes across as if they are presenting an idea from an Unassailable Bastion of Truth. Framing anything like that online is an invitation for people to tear it apart.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1