EoD Fishing needs work! [Merged]

18 minutes ago, Gadzooks.4687 said:

Ive already just not been leveling up fishing. Saving the limited mastery points for the other mastery things.

Somehow, in the design process, they failed to do the one important thing that most fishing mechanics do in other games:

---- Keep you focused on the water/fishing line/bobber/fish  -----

This games fishing makes you look down at the bottom UI, completely ignoring the actual fishing graphics. 

Whilst I am enjoying fishing in GW2, this is a very valid point. I do notice I’m not focused on fishing, but the bar itself.

• Like 4

I've had zero issues with fishing. Been fishing for about an hour or two total now since yesterday and haven't had a single one get away. I hope they keep this as I love how different it is from just regular "hit a single key" collection. The only thing I can't understand is how to determine the dusk/dawn, daytime, and nighttime time frame. What tells you this and how can you time it?

• Confused 3

Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons - Known Issues

•  

Butterfly Kingdom.8349

• ArenaNet Staff
  •  

• Some players are unable to complete the "Feed Aurene Fish" step in Chapter 2: Outreach. 

Thanks for getting on this so quickly, Anet.

I can see it being difficult if you have hand/eye coordination issues, but so far I've been really enjoying it. I'm not sure what changes ANet could make to the minigame to make it more accommodating. I would like to see it so that when your catch bar is touching the `fish,` it slows or even pauses progress loss. That's the only frustrating thing to me - When I have the bar almost entirely over the 'fish', but I'm still losing catch progress. There should probably be an actual tutorial, as well, since I don't recall there being one - I just jumped in and figured it out.

I've gone fishing ~25 times, only lost one so far. Granted, I've only been fishing in the new maps in Cantha, it does sound like there's a lot of problems with level scaling which is unfortunate.

I'm also rather confused at the people claiming there are no other 'mandatory' minigames - There are plenty of story instances where you need to play Simon in some form or another, plenty more map completion instances with simon & puzzles, etc. Minigames are pretty cemented as part of GW2 general gameplay, whether it be for a 'novel' mastery point, grinding for legendaries, or progressing story.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Thanks for getting on this so quickly, Anet.

I had thought my story was bugged too.. after I caught the fish and I had it in my inventory.. I went to the cave to try to feed Aurene.. when I realized.. I had to go back to the shore and pick up the fish that was laying on the ground to feed her.

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2022 at 12:05 AM, Randulf.7614 said:

I’m struggling to understand where the complexity is. The green bar moves slower than your red catchment bar so you barely have to do anything. Just keep it over it long enough until the fish is caught

My green bar moves faster than the red bar no way i can catch up at all.... in 1hour i managed to catch 1 fish.. this is harder than Demon of a drifter achievement (got that) and Darknesss Illuminator (got that too), so it seriously needs a fix.

Edited by RubyHazel.2719
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, RubyHazel.2719 said:

My green bar moves faster than the red bar no way i can catch up at all.... in 1hour i managed to catch 1 fish.. this is harder than Demon of a drifter achievement (got that) and Darknesss Illuminator (got that too), so it seriously needs a fix.

That seems odd. Mine and others I play with is slower than the red bar. I’m guessing there must be a bug. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

A good chunk of gw2 is minigames, hate to break it to you.  If you would rather just do the same thing over and over brainlessly, I would recommend cookie clicker. 

What? There are very few, easily skipped, mini games in GW2.  

Fishing is fun so far. With the basic lure/baits (Kaineng already offers a better lure) - it already gets easier in the Cantha areas. Tyria seems to require more fishing power. Also curious about the rare (and legendary) tier fishes - are they super rare on random? Or affected by magic find or by the fishing power? I think somewhere ingame it was mentioned that more fishing power also increases chances for rarer fish. Might take some time and fishing with high fishing power to do all the achievements.

Also found 1 achievement for random fish/junk - for all over the world.

---

For more convenience/quality of life:

Would be nice to have icons in the bar with the buffs (boons) where you also can see the food/utility icons. It also shows stuff like "anchored" there.

An icon for the equipped bait/lure that displays the amount left (in the tooltip) and the stats (+ extra fishing power) - would be convenient. Now I have to remember how many uses I have left. (Or checking the fishing tab in the UI manually.) Cause it doesn't even seem to give a warning when using the last bait equipped for example. (Though you might notice when fishing gets more difficult cause you have less fishing power then.)

Could also display a differently coloured icon (similar to the "malnourished" ) when nothing equipped. 2 icons - for1 for bait, 1 for lure. Only showing those when the fishing rod is equipped. Don't know if it is easy or hard to implement and whether other players might like this suggestion or not. (Maybe there are reasons against this.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

What? There are very few, easily skipped, mini games in GW2.  

of course they are easily skipped. no one was talking mandatory. BUT a lot of story missions, hearts, metas, etc. also have fun little gimmicks one could call minigames. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Confused 2

I thought the fishing was really easy. It seemed like every other fishing game so I wasn't bothered by the lack of explanation.

Then my spouse tried, over and over. 5 attempts later they still couldn't even get the press 1 on the bobbing since it's not explained clearly that there is 2 sets of bobbing and you have to catch it on the second one, and your lure is hard to see (need a gauge on screen somewhere for this). And even after I explained when to press 1, 5 more attempts at trying to line up the squares they gave up and said it was stupid. The lining up thing is never explained in game and an example is never given. Fishing needs a proper tutorial where each step is explained in detail, pausing and pointing to each screen element so the player understands.

Yeah it's super easy, but if this is your first fishing game, it's not obvious.

Also, lures shouldn't break from usage. Having them break when you screw up and lose a fish that's on the line would make sense. But not just from fishing in general and certainly not from pulling the line to early or late.

Bait should be able to be harvested from grubs and other monsters.  Sticking a Centaur leg on a lure would be a cool option for example. Use junk items as bait. 

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Fishing outside of Cantha is awful and frustrating as hell. The bar is way more erratic and the fishing power seems to do nothing. I really hope it get's adjusted. It's relaxing and fun in Cantha so I don't get why it was made so much harder in the rest of Tyria. 

• Like 1

Perhaps they could add additional mastery skill like relaxed fishing where you just throw your bait in and enjoy the scenery. Maybe even add some cinematic camera options (vista like fly overs and such).

It's not that I care about fishing much, but I get it why some people might like it and how these minigames become tedious quite fast.

• Like 3

On 3/1/2022 at 11:46 AM, Einsof.1457 said:

Yeah, you should be just given them on a platter as a log-in bonus. That would be better design. 

Lol. No, but a better design is: if you kill a freaking Elder Dragon you get...I dunno...something. A precursor at the very least. Most times I get a pile of goop, some yellows, and, maybe, an exotic. Be still my beating heart. The reward logic of this game makes little to no sense. Want to craft a legendary? For some reason, you have to play some ridiculous mini-game - catch some bugs or something? That makes NO sense.

1 hour ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Perhaps they could add additional mastery skill like relaxed fishing where you just throw your bait in and enjoy the scenery. Maybe even add some cinematic camera options (vista like fly overs and such).

It's not that I care about fishing much, but I get it why some people might like it and how these minigames become tedious quite fast.

Yup. I think the next mastery will be "Watching Ice Melt" - the first level is to actually see ice that can be melted. Watching ice melt requires you to click a series of ever faster key combinations. Miss one, and you have to start over. Eventually, through spending more and more MPs, you get to be a master of Watching ice Melt. It'll be required to progress the story and acquire Melted Ice Water, which will be a zone-specific currency required to unlock a recipe to make a precursor for a new legendary. The recipe will cost 20000 Melted Ice Waters for which you will need to melt 10,000 blocks of melt-able ice.

And people will say "I love it!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, misterman.1530 said:

Lol. No, but a better design is: if you kill a freaking Elder Dragon you get...I dunno...something. A precursor at the very least. Most times I get a pile of goop, some yellows, and, maybe, an exotic. Be still my beating heart. The reward logic of this game makes little to no sense. Want to craft a legendary? For some reason, you have to play some ridiculous mini-game - catch some bugs or something? That makes NO sense.

Variety is the spice of life. And legendaries.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I just wish there was a way to see what fishing skill (power) is required on a map. I went to fish in a starter zone and was having problems. Saw the required fishing power was 300 (400 in a pool). No fun going zone to zone and wondering if I will be able to even successfully fish there. Or is there a way and I'm just totally missing it?

I've been hoping for fishing in GW2 for *years* now! 🙂  There are areas I would hope would get fishing in Tyria because the  surrounding landscape is gorgeous.

I more prefer the fishing in Elder Scrolls Online, WoW, and Lost Ark. I hear Skyrim has fishing as well, now.

I must agree about the fishing in GW2. When I discovered fishing in the game is more akin to Stardew Valley's version of fishing, I felt incredibly disappointed.

Real fishing isn't this difficult! I could change my hotkeys, but it won't alter the fact that I couldn't catch a fish by trying to stay on the side-to-side, scrolly-bar thing for at least a minute. Reeling in a fish doesn't take this long!  (Unless maybe you're in the ocean?) Though I have done some net fishing off the east coast - that's a blast.

Looking at a scrolly-bar while trying to reel in a fish is a bummer for me. I was hoping to enjoy the scenery, but you really have to focus on the catch-bar.  I fail to catch a fish so frequently, I've stopped trying to fish.

I'm glad if people enjoy it. This version of fishing is not my thing. I've only helped someone try to fish in Stardew Valley and didn't care for it.

However, I am glad to be playing the new expansion, it's been very exciting.  The art in Cantha is beautiful!  I also really love the story and the humor; I played GW, so it's fun to return to "Factions". 🙂  ♥

Fishing seems to be more about the scroll-bar and less about fishing. 😞 I'll manage without doing it in GW2.  I guess.  😞 😞 😞

Edited by saturnberry.2854
  • Like 3

On 3/1/2022 at 3:51 PM, Gadzooks.4687 said:

Ive already just not been leveling up fishing. Saving the limited mastery points for the other mastery things.

Somehow, in the design process, they failed to do the one important thing that most fishing mechanics do in other games:

---- Keep you focused on the water/fishing line/bobber/fish  -----

This games fishing makes you look down at the bottom UI, completely ignoring the actual fishing graphics. 

I was thinking this very thing. It's what kinda blows fishing in gw2 for me.  😞 

Edited by saturnberry.2854
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Ziggy.8150 said:

The only thing I can't understand is how to determine the dusk/dawn, daytime, and nighttime time frame. What tells you this and how can you time it?

I don't know offhand what the day/night  passage of time is in GW2, but if the sun or moon is out, maybe? O,<"  Fising in RL can be like this, as well.  If the time of day is a factor, it's possible that raining in the game could also make a difference with catching fish? (Rl fishing thing, sometimes, as well.) ♥